ADVERTISEMENT

Radford Squeezes Past Riverheads in Five Sets

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In one of the most electric atmospheres I have ever seen at Riverheads, the Lady Gladiators fell agonizingly short of a second straight championship game appearance as they dropped a tight 19-25, 25-13, 21-25, 25-14, 15-12 match to Radford tonight. If Auburn won the other semi-final, and they were likely favored to do so over Mathews, then Auburn and Radford will meet for the fifth time Saturday morning at VCU to decide the state championship.

The nearly-packed home stands included a rowdy student section that didn't have much to cheer about in the early going as Radford established control of the first game and raced out to a 13-4 advantage. But Riverheads caught fire, reeled off about 10 of the next 12 points and eventually took the first set 25-19 as the students roared their approval.

With RHS (oops I will have to clarify won't I?)---with RIVERHEADS seemingly in charge at that point, Big Mo instead switched sides and the Lady Bobcats once again raced to that same 13-4 lead in the second set. Again the Lady Gladiators caught their second wind and closed to within about 15-11. But Radford slammed the door and finished off the second set 25-13 for the easiest win of the night.

One might have assumed that RHS (the visiting ones this time!) would now have all the momentum after such an impressive set, but this time Riverheads regained its form and took game three 25-21. That one was tight from start to finish and that four point margin was probably about the largest either team had in that particular set.

As game four started, the Gladiators hoped to close out the match and punch their ticket to Richmond. Instead the Radford coach substituted his small roster very strategically and the visitors broke away from a tight early score to win the fourth set as handily as they had the second one, closing out the Big Red 25-14.

The deciding set was about as intense as the 15-12 final score makes it sound. The teams swapped the lead about 4 or 5 times in the early going as neither led by more than two points. The home crowd could feel it as the Big Red took its final lead at 11-9. But Radford reached back for that something extra and scored 6 of the final 7 points to make their long trip worthwhile.

Riverheads finishes with a sparkling 24-2 record, the only two losses coming in 5 sets. Coach Thompson graduates six seniors from this team but will return a solid nucleus next year to make another run. She should be a strong candidate for Shenandoah District Coach of the Year. Many of these same ladies will now suit up for basketball, which will begin in a few weeks.

Reactions: VaPrepsRod
Per Roanoke Times Auburn did beat Mathews tonight 25-21, 25-21and 25-19. Was a rematch from last years title game and according to the paper Mathews was the last team to beat and that was in 2011. I don't follow volleyball but that's an impressive streak in any sport.

Reactions: VaPrepsRod
I know this is a football board so if nobody ever answers this I will understand, but I have a rules question. I had never seen this happen in any volleyball game, but yet they called it three times in this one match.

The ref on the ladder would blow the whistle to indicate that it was time to serve. But either before the serve or while the serve was in the air, the ref down on the floor would blow her whistle and stop play, and award a point to the serving team. She gave some kind of signal that resembled a walking violation in basketball.

Someone told me that it had something to do with the fact that you could not move on the defensive side once the serving whistle had been blown. Can anyone give a more detailed explanation?

I know this is a football board so if nobody ever answers this I will understand, but I have a rules question. I had never seen this happen in any volleyball game, but yet they called it three times in this one match.

Just so that I have this on record, please note that this is a fall sports board, not a football board, so please post all that you want about volleyball or any other fall sport.

Should someone tell you to not post because "this is a football board", they'll be banned.

Rod...thanks for this clarification and for that matter for doing such an amazing job on the board in general. I am sure you don't hear that often enough.

Maybe I would have been better to have said "primarily" a football board. Truth is after watching these past few weeks of volleyball playoffs, I would encourage any sports fan out there to give it a try sometime. It may not be a "contact" sport in the strictest sense, but it has enough aggression in the style of play and enough strategy in the coaching to rival any sport out there. As I said in my original post, last night's atmosphere at RHS outdid anything I have ever seen for basketball and I have seen a ton of football games over the years that could not match last night for excitement.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT