ADVERTISEMENT

Radford vs John Marshall

JM by 30+. I'm all for the underdog winning and I'd love to see Radford do it, but JM is a step above. This will be the hardest team Radford has played all year, but Radford isn't even in the top 10 of teams that JM has played this season.

JM by 30+. I'm all for the underdog winning and I'd love to see Radford do it, but JM is a step above. This will be the hardest team Radford has played all year, but Radford isn't even in the top 10 of teams that JM has played this season.
I would think Radford would look at a goal to hold JM to the 70s. If they can keep it in the 60s they might have a chance but I would expect it to be a 20-30 point game. its a shame there is this situation but it is what it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: kwhs95fan
I would think Radford would look at a goal to hold JM to the 70s. If they can keep it in the 60s they might have a chance but I would expect it to be a 20-30 point game. its a same there is this situation but it is what it is.
not familiar at all with Radford - how are they in relationship to East Rock and Central Woodstock?

not familiar at all with Radford - how are they in relationship to East Rock and Central Woodstock?
I don't know about Central. East Rock lost to Floyd and we beat Floyd by upper single digits twice. I would also say we are playing better now than we were when we played Floyd. Defense is our calling card. Don't always have the best scorers but put in good athletes that can defend. We have some scorers but our biggest issue will be size. We have very little presence inside so we will have a hard time with their post players. Cormany and his staff are some of the best coaches in the state IMO.

I would think Radford would look at a goal to hold JM to the 70s. If they can keep it in the 60s they might have a chance but I would expect it to be a 20-30 point game. its a shame there is this situation but it is what it is.
“its a shame there is this situation but it is what it is” What’s the situation? Injuries?

I don't know about Central. East Rock lost to Floyd and we beat Floyd by upper single digits twice. I would also say we are playing better now than we were when we played Floyd. Defense is our calling card. Don't always have the best scorers but put in good athletes that can defend. We have some scorers but our biggest issue will be size. We have very little presence inside so we will have a hard time with their post players. Cormany and his staff are some of the best coaches in the state IMO.
East Rock beat Floyd

East Rock beat Floyd
oh, I know ER hit a 3 at the buzzer to send to OT. I was thinking Floyd pulled it out. I just looked at ER schedule and they also lost to James River by 6. So I would say Radford is only slightly better than ER based on that.

no, that JM is basically a top level AAU team that happens to all be able to play at the same high school for the same coach.
Lol oh I see. Either slander them for winning or y’all beat them. The JM coach is the founder of an AAU program that took off. He never coached a team or his players in the summer, ever. The Gate City coach referenced Penny Hardaway but he was actually on the sideline, coaching HS and AAU. Good luck to all at VCU.

Lol oh I see. Either slander them for winning or y’all beat them. The JM coach is the founder of an AAU program that took off. He never coached a team or his players in the summer, ever. The Gate City coach referenced Penny Hardaway but he was actually on the sideline, coaching HS and AAU. Good luck to all at VCU.
I never slandered. I just said the truth. If saying the truth offends then maybe there is more to it.

oh, I know ER hit a 3 at the buzzer to send to OT. I was thinking Floyd pulled it out. I just looked at ER schedule and they also lost to James River by 6. So I would say Radford is only slightly better than ER based on that.
May have lost to J River but they defeated Floyd in OT. I covered the game Good luck for Radford.. !!!

I never slandered. I just said the truth. If saying the truth offends then maybe there is more to it.
Must not be true if VHSL hasn’t ruled on it or idk declared them ineligible. Just the schools in the country complain. When Henrico beat them in states by 30 I didn’t hear anyone crying “AAU” this and that….

A huge number of John Marshall’s players are transfers and live all around the Richmond metro area. The school isn’t in the best of areas and some of the kids don’t even attend the school, physically. They can attend Open High School, Community High School or Franklin Military and still play for JM. Unfair, I’d argue yes, but this is one thing that RPS actually has going for itself. Richmond city kids are some of the best kids I’ve ever been around.

Won’t say top 10. That’s a stretch. I will say 5 considering they played Hayfield, LC Bird and a few teams in Georgia. IMO Radford stacks up really well with Douglas Freeman and Glen Allen, who were JM’s next best opponents.

Reactions: BigWinners
A huge number of John Marshall’s players are transfers and live all around the Richmond metro area. The school isn’t in the best of areas and some of the kids don’t even attend the school, physically. They can attend Open High School, Community High School or Franklin Military and still play for JM. Unfair, I’d argue yes, but this is one thing that RPS actually has going for itself. Richmond city kids are some of the best kids I’ve ever been around.

Won’t say top 10. That’s a stretch. I will say 5 considering they played Hayfield, LC Bird and a few teams in Georgia. IMO Radford stacks up really well with Douglas Freeman and Glen Allen, who were JM’s next best opponents.
they also played Landstown, Jamestown and nationally ranked teams from MN and NY.

Reactions: kwhs95fan

I think you nailed the frustration of many fans. No other school in 2A has the luxury of such a large area to pull from. Let alone Richmond which has tremendous athletes and kids. The point of divisions is to "even" the playing field. In saying that, I believe 4 divisions would be best for Virginia. 6 is too many. It still baffles me that wrestling, cross country, and so on participate in 6 divisions! I think New Jersey? Has one tourney for all divisions in wrestling. There may be others. Either way, good luck to all teams participating in state.

I think you nailed the frustration of many fans. No other school in 2A has the luxury of such a large area to pull from. Let alone Richmond which has tremendous athletes and kids. The point of divisions is to "even" the playing field. In saying that, I believe 4 divisions would be best for Virginia. 6 is too many. It still baffles me that wrestling, cross country, and so on participate in 6 divisions! I think New Jersey? Has one tourney for all divisions in wrestling. There may be others. Either way, good luck to all teams participating in state.
JM and TJ would rather not be in Class 2 but were denied their appeal. All of their traditional opponents are in Class 3, 4 and 5. Having said that Class 2 is perfect for their football programs.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
well said on the "even" playing field. as for the number of divisions, I am torn on that one. for sports like basketball and football, it gives more teams the chance to bring home a ring and what a good thing that is for the kids to have the chance to compete for it. If Class 1 were increased to be one of the 4 then Radford would likely be there. They would probably be looking at their 7th Class 1 ring in a row depending on where JM, Union and GC fell with enrollment. I kinda like the 6 unless they are going to do the divisions within the classes.

In another forum we discussed the difference between what VA does as opposed to what NC does; you may find that discussion interesting.

Reactions: RadfordCat
they also played Landstown, Jamestown and nationally ranked teams from MN and NY.
Landstown yes and the NY and MN teams were in the Georgia tournament I mentioned in my initial post. Jamestown and Radford are about even IMO.

Reactions: EPJr
JM and TJ would rather not be in Class 2 but were denied their appeal. All of their traditional opponents are in Class 3, 4 and 5. Having said that Class 2 is perfect for their football programs.
Nobody is blaming JM or TJ. It is okay to talk about it.

I agree!! 6 Classes in Va is too many. I think 4 would be better.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT