ADVERTISEMENT

Radford vs Richlands

19GHS87

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Oct 10, 2016
Should be a good one. Richlands is well-balanced and has a decent passing game. Can't let Webb get behind the defenders.

If Radford can get pressure on the QB, they will be successful. If not, could be a long day for them.

Agreed. Radford has everything to lose if they cant win. My understanding Richlands may have alot on the line as well.

Agreed. Radford has everything to lose if they cant win. My understanding Richlands may have alot on the line as well.
Yes. I heard about that appeal. Not sure if they will win that when The region voted before the season began to take the top 2 teams from each district.

Reactions: Gridiron1960
Radford homer here, but as objective as I can be. Last season in 2019, Radford was a decent size favorite and I had Richlands beating us. Today, I think we beat Richlands by a touchdown

Reactions: 19GHS87
Radford homer here, but as objective as I can be. Last season in 2019, Radford was a decent size favorite and I had Richlands beating us. Today, I think we beat Richlands by a touchdown
I personally would like to see Radford beat Richlands and i do believe this will be a good game if both teams play well. Either team come out flat and it's history. Both teams are under alot of pressure and i hope that does not play into this game. I really have no idea who to favor as the only radford game i have seen was against Glenvar and have not seen Richlands play at all.

Lots to say about this game. Richlands was undisciplined in everyway. Cheap shots and late hits. This score would have been worse if Radford would have not retaliated on some of this. The DB allowing the TD at the end of the first half was unreal. Didn't even attempt to cover the receiver. The QB making terrible decisions and throwing 3 picks. He was 10-25. I would give the Radford DB's some credit. If Radford had their two normal starting DEs in the game, it would have been much worse also.

Lots to say about this game. Richlands was undisciplined in everyway. Cheap shots and late hits. This score would have been worse if Radford would have not retaliated on some of this. The DB allowing the TD at the end of the first half was unreal. Didn't even attempt to cover the receiver. The QB making terrible decisions and throwing 3 picks. He was 10-25. I would give the Radford DB's some credit. If Radford had their two normal starting DEs in the game, it would have been much worse also.
Not sure of the direction that Richland's is taking. The Richland's folks were happy with the hiring of Wells as their coach. They don't have a lot of talent coming through the pipeline at this point. The next couple of seasons under Wells could either put them back on track and in the right direction or they will continue to slide. I hope they stay competitive, because it is good for the SouthWest District and Region D. Time will tell.

Unfortunately, Richlands has not acted with much class more than once this season. I'm sure some Tazewell folks can attest to this after their game. I'm sure what went on at Radford was similar to what went on at Tazewell. Lost a lot of respect for some of their coaching staff.

Why was Radford missing two players?
actaully down 3 against Richlands. had one starting DE out with Covid and one starting ILB out with covid. They should be back this week. Other starting DE/OTackle out after having tommy john surgery. He tore it in the fall and scheduled surgery after basketball season. Timing is bad for football as he was All region last season. He gave Glenvar fits and was the one that made the 4th and goal tackle against Appo 2 years ago. Radford will miss that experience and athleticism.

actaully down 3 against Richlands. had one starting DE out with Covid and one starting ILB out with covid. They should be back this week. Other starting DE/OTackle out after having tommy john surgery. He tore it in the fall and scheduled surgery after basketball season. Timing is bad for football as he was All region last season. He gave Glenvar fits and was the one that made the 4th and goal tackle against Appo 2 years ago. Radford will miss that experience and athleticism.
My son had that in 8th grade. He never fully recovered strength wise.

Unfortunately, Richlands has not acted with much class more than once this season. I'm sure some Tazewell folks can attest to this after their game. I'm sure what went on at Radford was similar to what went on at Tazewell. Lost a lot of respect for some of their coaching staff.
You mean the coach that went for it on fourth down inside his own 20 in the second quarter of a one possession game maybe doesn't make best decisions? lol

My son had that in 8th grade. He never fully recovered strength wise.
He went to Florida to James Andrews who is the Dr that does most of the MLB players. Said it is a 12 month recovery but it won't be easy. he is going Patrick Henry CC next year to play baseball. He is the rare HS 3 sport athlete and made all region in basketball and football.

You mean the coach that went for it on fourth down inside his own 20 in the second quarter of a one possession game maybe doesn't make best decisions? lol
We better mind our manners. We might get crucified talking smack about the chosen one, lol. Richlands might be thinking they should have hired Davis instead. I heard it was between those two.

Reactions: BigWinners
I just don’t mind the call. I’ve seen him do it at Blacksburg when I was calling their games a few years ago against Salem and it worked. They scored on that drive and went on to win.

It was 4th and less than a yard. If you can’t get a yard — you don’t deserve to win. We didn’t get the yard — and we didn’t win.

I was more puzzled why on a 2nd down you don’t enforce the two targeting penalties and make it 2nd and 40+. Instead he declined it to make it 3rd and 15ish and trying to get the ball back with more time and instead gave up a 60 yard touchdown.

Either way, I like coaches that take gambles. It was a big one, but at least it was in the second quarter. You have all game to make up the 3 points lost on that FG. We just didn’t get the job done.

I just don’t mind the call. I’ve seen him do it at Blacksburg when I was calling their games a few years ago against Salem and it worked. They scored on that drive and went on to win.

It was 4th and less than a yard. If you can’t get a yard — you don’t deserve to win. We didn’t get the yard — and we didn’t win.

I was more puzzled why on a 2nd down you don’t enforce the two targeting penalties and make it 2nd and 40+. Instead he declined it to make it 3rd and 15ish and trying to get the ball back with more time and instead gave up a 60 yard touchdown.

Either way, I like coaches that take gambles. It was a big one, but at least it was in the second quarter. You have all game to make up the 3 points lost on that FG. We just didn’t get the job done.

Targeting isn't a replay the down penalty. So there was either a big mistake by the official, a wrong signal used, or confused about the call

They signaled targeting twice and we declined them both. Or at least that’s how it was announced.

That's my point exactly above. Either they signaled incorrectly, it was announced incorrectly, or the official made a ASININE mistake.

Not saying you aren't telling the truth at all

Reactions: Ryan4VT
That's my point exactly above. Either they signaled incorrectly, it was announced incorrectly, or the official made a ASININE mistake.

Not saying you aren't telling the truth at all
There was under two minutes to go and we were down and I just assumed he declined them to force it to third down and not let them replay. It could be that it was called wrong. We’ll never know lol.

but you're basically giving away points in a very tight, low scoring game. It makes some sense if Richlands was at the 40, but they were at like the 12. I understand you have all game to make the points back but you're giving away points and giving the opponents a huge momentum boost if you stop them. If Blues convert, it's not a big momentum swinger as they still gotta go 90 yards but a stop gives the opponent a huge boost in morale as well as three points for sure. It's not a decision I would ever want my coach to make in the second quarter of a one score game, even if they convert you're still way far away from the end zone. But it's his team and he makes the decisions and he thought it was right.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT