Who wins?

• Salem

Votes: 35 77.8%
  • Amherst

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
Reset-Button-300x300.jpg

Try again, this time like adults

I'm beginning to think very strongly that Salem may be headed to Lynchburg. Just seem to be so balanced and complete. Their weaknesses are few. There depth is very good. I'm not sure about the health of their linemen, but I think most that can get healthy, are. Anyone they play has got to have one of their best games of the year, and play nearly error free ball to have a chance. That means the Lancers for sure.

Does that mean we can use adult language?

I mean, you can try it.

Geeez Rod, all i was doing was having conversation and the salem guy jumped me..

I'm acutely aware of what happened.

This board has zero equity right now and gets no benefit of the doubt whatsoever. Some people are going to be changing their approach and it will not be me.

I'm beginning to think very strongly that Salem may be headed to Lynchburg. Just seem to be so balanced and complete. Their weaknesses are few. There depth is very good. I'm not sure about the health of their linemen, but I think most that can get healthy, are. Anyone they play has got to have one of their best games of the year, and play nearly error free ball to have a chance. That means the Lancers for sure.
I look forward to the playoffs. I really want to see how they respond to a closer game.

I don't think it will happen this year with Amherst so banged up right now..I believe Amherst RB might have a chance to play but QB probaly not..Who knows you still have to play the game and I'm sure these young kids at Amherst doesn't care about how good Salem is...I think playing Salem2x,JF and App will only help them down the road especially for next year..

Reactions: CCSVIMS
I don't think it will happen this year with Amherst so banged up right now..I believe Amherst RB might have a chance to play but QB probaly not..Who knows you still have to play the game and I'm sure these young kids at Amherst doesn't care about how good Salem is...I think playing Salem2x,JF and App will only help them down the road especially for next year..
They didn't have their QB last week and won, you never know until the games is played. I still believe in them, just need to not have the unnecessary penalties

Amherst
They didn't have their QB last week and won, you never know until the games is played. I still believe in them, just need to not have the unnecessary penalties
Wikki I'm calling it...Amherst with the upset 28-27! I figure that somebody will get the upset why not your boys?

Wiki, anyone who has witnessed past Salem/Amherst games would be a fool to under estimate the Lancers. I talked with one of our coaches after the first game and he told me he wouldn't be surprised if met you guys in the playoffs. He had nothing but respect. Any Salem moron who gets on here and predicts this one is just that, a moron.
GO SALEM
GO MULES

Wiki, anyone who has witnessed past Salem/Amherst games would be a fool to under estimate the Lancers. I talked with one of our coaches after the first game and he told me he wouldn't be surprised if met you guys in the playoffs. He had nothing but respect. Any Salem moron who gets on here and predicts this one is just that, a moron.
GO SALEM
GO MULES
I agree with you. They are a little banged up with key players but this team plays with so much heart more than any team in a long time. If they can keep the penalties under control should be interesting. But if it is close in the 4th be aware that Amherst is a 4th quarter team. Proven that with 3 teams this year. I just hope whoever wins it is close

I respect both teams so much but I have to go with Salem. They have to be the most consistent team in Virginia.

I agree with you. They are a little banged up with key players but this team plays with so much heart more than any team in a long time. If they can keep the penalties under control should be interesting. But if it is close in the 4th be aware that Amherst is a 4th quarter team. Proven that with 3 teams this year. I just hope whoever wins it is close
The first game means nothing now, that was 12 weeks ago. Both teams have made changes and improvements. I see the QB Turner is hurt, but they had a really good JV QB, #3 Megginson. I'm not sure if he is the replacement, but he looked pretty sharp. Small but quick good arm.

Hampton HS is the standard in VA 17 starte titles and won one in every decade since the school has been open.
Finally a voice of reason. Sorry to burst the Salem bubble, but there shouldn't be anymore discussion once you put Hampton in the equation.

Reactions: OCBoy
Finally a voice of reason. Sorry to burst the Salem bubble, but there shouldn't be anymore discussion once you put Hampton in the equation.
Daboyz19 is not a Salem fan, he obviously forgot Hampton. They have the most wins, championships, and their history goes back 80 years or more.

I know all about Hampton's state titles I was mostly just talking about the teams in 4A this year and their history since we're on the 4A forum.

I know all about Hampton's state titles I was mostly just talking about the teams in 4A this year and their history since we're on the 4A forum.
Well the problem with this history lesson is simple. There are teams in 4A (LT, Dinwiddie, Monacan, etc) that were playing up in 5A until the realignment. Maybe, they could have had similar success if they were playing down in their proper classification, but they weren't.

Well the problem with this history lesson is simple. There are teams in 4A (LT, Dinwiddie, Monacan, etc) that were playing up in 5A until the realignment. Maybe, they could have had similar success if they were playing down in their proper classification, but they weren't.
And Salem/Andrew Lewis used to play in 1A with 2A numbers. All the guy said was that Salem was comsistent. He wasn't trying to down play LT or Hampton.

Reactions: wikki
GW was also playing up. Some of the Richmond City schools were playing up 2 spots.

Well the problem with this history lesson is simple. There are teams in 4A (LT, Dinwiddie, Monacan, etc) that were playing up in 5A until the realignment. Maybe, they could have had similar success if they were playing down in their proper classification, but they weren't.[/QUOT

Maybe so...I didn't realize how sensitive football fans are...I'll try to mention everybody's favorite team next time I post.

Reactions: salemfan32

But the problem with that "problem" is that it seems to be based on opinion, and little else. A quick look at VHSL-Reference reveals that all three of those teams have had mediocre or worse seasons, going back to 1999. And the scores and team ratings indicate that they would have struggled in those years regardless of
their opponents. Dinwiddie and Monacan both lost several games to 3A schools in the early part of the 2000's. Dinwiddie won a total of eight games from '01 to '06; looking at the results makes me think they probably would not have been thriving in any classification above 2A during that period.

Also, Gilliams ratings goes against what you're suggesting. The ratings for LT, Dinwiddie and Monacan for several of the seasons since '99 don't compare favorably with the best 4A/Division 4 teams from those same seasons. And that's just going back 16 years. The poster you took exception with simply spoke of consistency. Salem's last sub-.500 season was in 1983. So, maybe I misunderstood, but it seems as if you're saying, "Well, these teams would have been great, if they hadn't been so bad."

Since dropping to AA in 1988, Salem's record against schools in higher divisions or classes is 38-8, for a winning percentage of .826. Which is significantly better than the school's all-time winning percentage of .754. Granted, not many of those were against teams as good as Hampton,etc. (though Salem was 2-1 against Phoebus back in the '70's, when both were AAA). But then again, none were against the Kempsvilles, Granbys and Maurys, either. My point in mentioning those schools is, just because a team is 5A or 6A doesn't automatically make them a good team.

But the problem with that "problem" is that it seems to be based on opinion, and little else. A quick look at VHSL-Reference reveals that all three of those teams have had mediocre or worse seasons, going back to 1999. And the scores and team ratings indicate that they would have struggled in those years regardless of
their opponents. Dinwiddie and Monacan both lost several games to 3A schools in the early part of the 2000's. Dinwiddie won a total of eight games from '01 to '06; looking at the results makes me think they probably would not have been thriving in any classification above 2A during that period.

Also, Gilliams ratings goes against what you're suggesting. The ratings for LT, Dinwiddie and Monacan for several of the seasons since '99 don't compare favorably with the best 4A/Division 4 teams from those same seasons. And that's just going back 16 years. The poster you took exception with simply spoke of consistency. Salem's last sub-.500 season was in 1983. So, maybe I misunderstood, but it seems as if you're saying, "Well, these teams would have been great, if they hadn't been so bad."

Since dropping to AA in 1988, Salem's record against schools in higher divisions or classes is 38-8, for a winning percentage of .826. Which is significantly better than the school's all-time winning percentage of .754. Granted, not many of those were against teams as good as Hampton,etc. (though Salem was 2-1 against Phoebus back in the '70's, when both were AAA). But then again, none were against the Kempsvilles, Granbys and Maurys, either.
There you go bud now that's what I call research.

Since dropping to AA in 1988, Salem's record against schools in higher divisions or classes is 38-8, for a winning percentage of .826. Which is significantly better than the school's all-time winning percentage of .754. Granted, not many of those were against teams as good as Hampton,etc. (though Salem was 2-1 against Phoebus back in the '70's, when both were AAA). But then again, none were against the Kempsvilles, Granbys and Maurys, either. My point in mentioning those schools is, just because a team is 5A or 6A doesn't automatically make them a good team.
Sound like Reid from Criminal Minds! High IQ :)

Counterintuitive cognizant resonance. :confused:

Get him Rod! That's got to be techno babble for cuss words.

I've been sick, as well as slammed the last few days. I'll give you a call over the weekend. I apologize.

Anyone whose read my writing before knows that I'm a ten-cent word guy, so I don't even know what he said.

I assumed it's Latin for "Hey Rod, thanks for the time that you put in"

To be completely accurate Salem has 6 State Championships and three State runner ups but you need to add Andrew Lewis to that giving them a total of 7 State Championships--four State runner ups and one State Championship taken away because of an ineligible player (early 60's Andrew Lewis)

For those that don't know when the new high school was built they did not transfer the name---Andrew Lewis became the Junior High and the High School was renamed Salem High. But it is the same community.

Let's be real here you can do all the research you want and base it off a "ratings scale" well that ratings scale doesn't play the games. So your facts are as objective as you claim mine to be. Mediocre season in the ER equivalent to being a upper half team out West. When LT was losing playoff games it was to the 5A state champion Phoebus or Hampton majority of the time. Salem has success, but to equate 4A success to 5A competition is correct. I think someone (Rod??) did a study showing how the top rated "AA Div. 4" teams wouldn't have been rated higher than teams that were playing up according to this rating you reference. So while teams were having "mediocre" seasons they were still rated higher than some of the best teams they trotted out.

Beating Franklin Co., PH-Roanoke, and some of those other schools out West that aren't that great doesn't make your point any better. Bringing up Maury, Granby, and Kempsville like they are cream puffs is funny.

Once again you guys have been a solid program, but again facing the competition that teams like Dinwiddie, Monacan, LT had to face in the past wasn't available during your glory days. You were beating Louisa, Powhatan, and some other middle of the pack now programs. When Briar Woods and Broad Run gave D4 a little taste of what was to come they reeled off 5 straight state titles. You just traded in those two juggernauts for teams from Richmond and Tidewater.

Reactions: gwb16 and aw19752
When salem was beating teams for state championships, such as powhatan, parkview sterling, courtland, sherando, etc. They weren't considered middle of the pack teams at the time were they?

When salem was beating teams for state championships, such as powhatan, parkview sterling, courtland, sherando, etc. They weren't considered middle of the pack teams at the time were they?
As compared to the teams Dinwiddie, LT, and Monacan were playing in the playoffs....YES in 4A then no. 4A was not even comparable to the competition these teams were playing in 5A. Won't even believe that argument. Hampton, Highland Springs, Phoebus, Lee-Davis, PH Ashland, Dinwiddie, Meadowbrook, + more would have beaten all those teams. At the end of the day however people out West have their views and us out East have ours. Won't change them either way. We will see Dec. 12th

Reactions: gwb16
Let's be real here you can do all the research you want and base it off a "ratings scale" well that ratings scale doesn't play the games. So your facts are as objective as you claim mine to be. Mediocre season in the ER equivalent to being a upper half team out West. When LT was losing playoff games it was to the 5A state champion Phoebus or Hampton majority of the time. Salem has success, but to equate 4A success to 5A competition is correct. I think someone (Rod??) did a study showing how the top rated "AA Div. 4" teams wouldn't have been rated higher than teams that were playing up according to this rating you reference. So while teams were having "mediocre" seasons they were still rated higher than some of the best teams they trotted out.

Beating Franklin Co., PH-Roanoke, and some of those other schools out West that aren't that great doesn't make your point any better. Bringing up Maury, Granby, and Kempsville like they are cream puffs is funny.

Once again you guys have been a solid program, but again facing the competition that teams like Dinwiddie, Monacan, LT had to face in the past wasn't available during your glory days. You were beating Louisa, Powhatan, and some other middle of the pack now programs. When Briar Woods and Broad Run gave D4 a little taste of what was to come they reeled off 5 straight state titles. You just traded in those two juggernauts for teams from Richmond and Tidewater.
To include Amherst in this conversation. They won in 2006 and 2007 against Louisa and Sherando but lost in 2008 and 2009 to that Broad Run. Also won in 1995 against Sherando

As compared to the teams Dinwiddie, LT, and Monacan were playing in the playoffs....YES in 4A then no. 4A was not even comparable to the competition these teams were playing in 5A. Won't even believe that argument. Hampton, Highland Springs, Phoebus, Lee-Davis, PH Ashland, Dinwiddie, Meadowbrook, + more would have beaten all those teams. At the end of the day however people out West have their views and us out East have ours. Won't change them either way. We will see Dec. 12th
Hey Devils, just curious. Bird or Hermitage?

What is going on here? Salem is a very fine program. Plenty of others out there too. But we're trying to equate teams from AA and old Regions to today's classifications. It's a different ball game now and I don't believe this argument has bearing any longer. What happened decades ago has no meaning when none of those players are in the game next Friday.

And schedules do matter. I'm sorry guys, but the 4A's in the East absolutely play much more difficult schedules than the West. There are more good teams in the East than the West. Now, this does not necessarily guarantee an East victory in the Final. There can be very good teams from the West but the over all level of competition is lower there.

Here's my belief. The best team the West has to offer will be at Liberty in December but there may be 4 or 5 teams from the East that can beat them. That still does not ensure an East win but it's very likely.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT