ADVERTISEMENT

Rd 4 State Semifinals

RedPrideNation_RollPride

VaPreps All District
Oct 13, 2014
The season has come down to the four teams that represent each region. These 4 were picked by a good many when we discussed on this board who we thought would be here. With all of that said I will take a stab at projecting what I think could occur.

Region A/B
Riverheads hosting Essex-second year these teams meet at this point in Greenville. Essex has proven again this season the quality of coaching and program they have y replacing size on the lines and their go to back from last year KJ Dameron. Riverheads had to replace 9 starters on defense and then a few due to injuries throughout the season. In this fans opinion, it may be the finest coaching job to this point by the group at Riverheads. Now to the game in what should be a showcase of the two defenses. Essex has more than held their own all season but especially down the stretch recording several shutouts to go along with their already impressive resume. Riverheads showed some rust this past Friday against a very good Sussex D having not played the starters as deep into games since the Stuarts Draft game in week eleven. I look for a closely contested game with Riverheads capitalizing on a mistake or two to gain the momentum and win late. Riverheads 31-20 (don’t be surprised if neither one of them break 20, the defenses can play)

Region C/D
Patrick Henry GS hosting Galax-in the matchup that was widely predicted to occur. PHGS has played very good defense as the season progressed and proved that by holding Chilhowie in check then facing a much improved JIB and shutting them out. Conversely Galax has shown themselves to be a very stout on D as well. Offensively I don’t think there is a question that Galax has shown more to the point so the edge goes to them clearly IMO. I think Galax is able to come out and impose their will once the game settles in. I look for a reasonably close first half with Galax up by 2 scores, then the Maroon Tide will begin to distance themselves. I see a margin of 4 scores plus in the end. Galax 49-21

I hope everyone that travels this week has a safe trip and enjoys the games. Good luck to all and it is truly special to make it to this point and be able to watch our team play in December. Beat me up and poke holes in my take on the games. I am pretty sure there are some opposing views out there, lol.

Last edited:
The season has come down to the four teams that represent each region. These 4 were picked by a good many when we discussed on this board who we thought would be here. With all of that said I will take a stab at projecting what I think could occur.

Region A/B
Riverheads hosting Essex-second year these teams meet at this point in Greenville. Essex has proven again this season the quality of coaching and program they have y replacing size on the lines and their go to back from last year KJ Dameron. Riverheads had to replace 9 starters on defense and then a few due to injuries throughout the season. In this fans opinion, it may be the finest coaching job to this point by the group at Riverheads. Now to the game in what should be a showcase of the two defenses. Essex has more than held their own all season but especially down the stretch recording several shutouts to go along with their already impressive resume. Riverheads showed some rust this past Friday against a very good Sussex D having not played the starters as deep into games since the Stuarts Draft game in week eleven. I look for a closely contested game with Riverheads capitalizing on a mistake or two to gain the momentum and win late. Riverheads 31-20 (don’t be surprised if neither one of them break 20, the defenses can play)

Region C/D
Galax hosting Patrick Henry GS-in the matchup that was widely predicted to occur. PHGS has played very good defense as the season progressed and proved that by holding Chilhowie in check then facing a much improved JIB and shutting them out. Conversely Galax has shown themselves to be a very stout on D as well. Offensively I don’t think there is a question that Galax has shown more to the point so the edge goes to them clearly IMO. I think Galax is able to come out and impose their will once the game settles in. I look for a reasonably close first half with Galax up by 2 scores, then the Maroon Tide will begin to distance themselves. I see a margin of 4 scores plus in the end. Galax 49-21

I hope everyone that travels this week has a safe trip and enjoys the games. Good luck to all and it is truly special to make it to this point and be able to watch our team play in December. Beat me up and poke holes in my take on the games. I am pretty sure there are some opposing views out there, lol.
I agree with your prediction for the most part except I dont think Essex gets 20. The last 3 years vs Essex the defense has given up 0,14 and 7. Im thinking kind of like last year 28-7 providing Riverheads doesnt turn the ball over and give Essex a short field. I also agree Galax wins big.

Don't wanna offend anyone but lets just let Galax and Riverheads play a week early. Clearly looking like the best two 1A teams again. Essex seems like used to always be around this time of year so I'm dumb for counting them out, but the machine in Greensville is extremely impressive. I'd like to see them in 2A, they demolished Draft who s still playing but I think they would see a better challenge in the earlier rounds. The four teams left could compete in 2A for sure, but the previous rounds you see a pretty big gap between 2A and 1A.

Don't wanna offend anyone but lets just let Galax and Riverheads play a week early. Clearly looking like the best two 1A teams again. Essex seems like used to always be around this time of year so I'm dumb for counting them out, but the machine in Greensville is extremely impressive. I'd like to see them in 2A, they demolished Draft who s still playing but I think they would see a better challenge in the earlier rounds. The four teams left could compete in 2A for sure, but the previous rounds you see a pretty big gap between 2A and 1A.
I think Galax , Essex and Riverheads are fairly even but then I think its a huge drop off to PH. Not trying to slight them they have had a tremendous season but I think theyre just another Chilhowie and your right if they played in any other region would be lucky to be .500

I think Galax , Essex and Riverheads are fairly even but then I think its a huge drop off to PH. Not trying to slight them they have had a tremendous season but I think theyre just another Chilhowie and your right if they played in any other region would be lucky to be .500

That's not what I was saying at all, and it's a big slight to PH. Chilhowie beat Region C two years in a row, and PH is 13-0 and just won 24-0. Galax is rolling over everyone so them winning wouldn't be a shock at all but I don't think you can just write them off. I'd take PH over any team that lost today, including GW.

Region A/B

Region C/D
Galax hosting Patrick Henry GS-in the matchup that was widely predicted to occur. PHGS has played very good defense as the season progressed and proved that by holding Chilhowie in check then facing a much improved JIB and shutting them out. Conversely Galax has shown themselves to be a very stout on D as well. Offensively I don’t think there is a question that Galax has shown more to the point so the edge goes to them clearly IMO. I think Galax is able to come out and impose their will once the game settles in. I look for a reasonably close first half with Galax up by 2 scores, then the Maroon Tide will begin to distance themselves. I see a margin of 4 scores plus in the end. Galax 49-21

I was thinking that Patrick Henry would host based on higher rating. is that not the case? Just wondering.

That's not what I was saying at all, and it's a big slight to PH. Chilhowie beat Region C two years in a row, and PH is 13-0 and just won 24-0. Galax is rolling over everyone so them winning wouldn't be a shock at all but I don't think you can just write them off. I'd take PH over any team that lost today, including GW.
Im writing PH off. They wouldnt be within 4 tds of the other 3. IMO Galax/PH is going to end up like GW/Galax. Not knocking what they have accomplished but they just arent on the same level as the other 3.

PH is the Narrows of D its that simple its not a slight or disrespect to call it like you see it. Go on maxpreps and look at PH and Narrows schedules they play basically the same level of competition. Once you see who they've play you can't make even a small argument that they played anyone who could've prepared them for Galax. Just like Narrows hadn't played anyone to prepare them for GW. Again I'll congratulate PH on a great season but they will be badly outclassed next week imo that game will mirror the GW vs Galax game.

Essex has a real shot at defeating Riverheads , a couple of things must happen

1. Survive the 1st quarter with a even score or down by 1 score with making Riverheads offense grind it out.
2. Rotate defensive lineman keep them fresh , have the defensive line to attack pulling offensive lineman and not the running back, if that happens your linebackers must play down hill and get to the runner with bad intentions.
3. Essex safety and corners must not go to sleep , Riverheads qb is a dangerous passer.

4. Be patient on offense , Essex spread attack should do great in the passing game , if Riverheads has a weakness its in the secondary , qb must unload quit the heat is coming.

5. On special teams the return man must field the ball and flip field position, Riverheads kicking game is a major part of there defense. Essex should be able to execute a fake punt if needed , Riverheads will not come after the punter many times i witnessed the punt team turning away before the punter was his action to punt.

6. Kidnapp Casto and Norcoss use the game as ransom and yeah pray jusy pray lol !

Hey trutiger you have seen both teams how do they stack up with one another I see your thoughts on how Essex can beat Riverheads but can they do it

I think Essex will make a big mistake early. That mistake being getting off the bus ! lol

Hey trutiger you have seen both teams how do they stack up with one another I see your thoughts on how Essex can beat Riverheads but can they do it
What jumps out to me is Riverheads strength which clearly is the results from off season weight training, One tackler rarely brings down a Riverheads runner, Essex must gang tackle , Riverheads strength per individual player is very impressive. Essex must get to the perimeter someway , I would use bubble screens, floods to backs in the flats , Qb draws all must be quick hitting plays, Essex has been extremely consistent this year , unlike last year were they changed multiple offenses, but I believe due to being able to run different offensive sets could make Essex dangerous.

Essex 24 -Riverheads 21 ( Essex wins with a late 4th quarter drive, not giving the Gladiators time enough to respond)

Im writing PH off. They wouldnt be within 4 tds of the other 3. IMO Galax/PH is going to end up like GW/Galax. Not knocking what they have accomplished but they just arent on the same level as the other 3.

That's not what you said. You said PH would be lucky to be .500 in any other region and that's ludicrous. PH played in a regional final last year, and beat two 10-win teams this year. They shut out a good Burton team this week.
Everyone said same stuff about Chilhowie last year and they beat Galax by 21 points.

I don't think PH wins, Galax is very, very good, but it's not like GW, who people seem to rate highly, was remotely close to Galax.
PH is very well coached, have a tough, hard nose defense and hopefully their best RB, who has missed long stretches this year, is 100%.

PH is the Narrows of D its that simple its not a slight or disrespect to call it like you see it. Go on maxpreps and look at PH and Narrows schedules they play basically the same level of competition. Once you see who they've play you can't make even a small argument that they played anyone who could've prepared them for Galax. Just like Narrows hadn't played anyone to prepare them for GW. Again I'll congratulate PH on a great season but they will be badly outclassed next week imo that game will mirror the GW vs Galax game.

13-0, beating two 2A teams, two 10-win teams, one close game and 12 wins by 24+ points. Average score of 39-9.
They absolutely have not saw a team like Galax all season. But no one has. But it's not like East Montgomery, Auburn are any better than Holston or Honaker.
Chilhowie won West two years in a row playing the same type of schedule.

I've said I don't believe PH wins, but acting like PH is any less of a challenge than a team like GW is silly. PH and GW both played Rural Retreat, GW won by 24 (45-21) and PH by 31 (31-0).

That's not what you said. You said PH would be lucky to be .500 in any other region and that's ludicrous. PH played in a regional final last year, and beat two 10-win teams this year. They shut out a good Burton team this week.
Everyone said same stuff about Chilhowie last year and they beat Galax by 21 points.

I don't think PH wins, Galax is very, very good, but it's not like GW, who people seem to rate highly, was remotely close to Galax.
PH is very well coached, have a tough, hard nose defense and hopefully their best RB, who has missed long stretches this year, is 100%.
I should rephrase that. If they were in A or B they would be lucky to be .500 because C with the exception of Galax is as bad as D.

Just watched some film of Essex and this has the makings of a classic one. I would like to change my projection and say that its a race to 21. I don't think either will be but so effective as both of these defenses are pretty dang good. Mistakes and special teams will be highlighted and could swing the game in a big way.

Just watched some film of Essex and this has the makings of a classic one. I would like to change my projection and say that its a race to 21. I don't think either will be but so effective as both of these defenses are pretty dang good. Mistakes and special teams will be highlighted and could swing the game in a big way.
Agree hopefully Riverheads doesnt have a repeat from last year where they fumbled their 1st two possesions.

I am not sure if all of you checked out the NND awards and how represented Essex is but here is a synopsis:
Offense First Team
Center
OL
RB
2-WR
Defense First Team
2-DE
2-DL
LB
2-DB
DPOY (DL)

Second Team Offense
2-OL
QB
All Purpose Player

Second Team Defense
DB
All Purpose Player

So that's 9 players on Offense that are either 1st or 2nd team and 9 players on Defense that are 1st or 2nd team. Look closely because the entire front four is first team with the linebacker and two DB's as well. In seven of 11 spots on defense they have the best at that position in the district. First off congrats on that accomplishment. That's stout right there no matter how you look at it. It could be a very long day for the Gladiators come Saturday if they cant figure out a plan of attack.

Reactions: TIGER...NATION
I should rephrase that. If they were in A or B they would be lucky to be .500 because C with the exception of Galax is as bad as D.

I can't really comment on that as much, I didn't see those teams nearly as often but it's still pretty disrespectful to say that to a 13-0 region champ. PH isn't a scrub team, Chilhowie wasn't a scrub team last two years, etc.. From what I gather, aside from the top teams in A and B, they're just like any other region with a couple very good teams and several recent teams.

I can't really comment on that as much, I didn't see those teams nearly as often but it's still pretty disrespectful to say that to a 13-0 region champ. PH isn't a scrub team, Chilhowie wasn't a scrub team last two years, etc.. From what I gather, aside from the top teams in A and B, they're just like any other region with a couple very good teams and several recent teams.
Not being disrespectful just calling it like I see it. Yes theyre 13-0 but just like Chilhowie who have they played? They are 13-0 against mediocre and bad teams and they will get blown out Saturday.

PH will be the best and most physical team we've have seen in the playoffs and they will not be a pushover

Not being disrespectful just calling it like I see it. Yes theyre 13-0 but just like Chilhowie who have they played? They are 13-0 against mediocre and bad teams and they will get blown out Saturday.

Who won last year? If anyone got blown out, it was Galax (28-7). Chilhowie beat them two years in a row. I don't understand why you keep mentioning them considering they beat Galax last two years. I don't think PH will, Galax is a very good team and it's likely a multiple score game, but that speaks more to Galax and their talent than Patrick Henry.

Having not seen either team in person this year it’s hard for me to say. If history is the teacher it usually is then you have to think Galax will be the hammer and PH will be the nail. I was one of the more vocal supporters for PH from out of the area based off of a few things. First off the running ability of Brown was what I was counting on and so far they haven’t had to count on him with his multiple games missed. The second consideration was that they played a very good Chilhowie team last year as well as Galax did the following week, so credit to the program. All in all I can only say that if Brown is not healthy they need to play above their mean to beat this Maroon Tide team. Is it possible, yeah. Is it probable, I am going with no. Play it ten times and Galax wins 8 out of 10 IMO. If I am wrong, I will be on here to have my plate of crow.

Who won last year? If anyone got blown out, it was Galax (28-7). Chilhowie beat them two years in a row. I don't understand why you keep mentioning them considering they beat Galax last two years. I don't think PH will, Galax is a very good team and it's likely a multiple score game, but that speaks more to Galax and their talent than Patrick Henry.
Galax was an average team from 2016-2018. They are an outstanding team this year.

Having not seen either team in person this year it’s hard for me to say. If history is the teacher it usually is then you have to think Galax will be the hammer and PH will be the nail. I was one of the more vocal supporters for PH from out of the area based off of a few things. First off the running ability of Brown was what I was counting on and so far they haven’t had to count on him with his multiple games missed. The second consideration was that they played a very good Chilhowie team last year as well as Galax did the following week, so credit to the program. All in all I can only say that if Brown is not healthy they need to play above their mean to beat this Maroon Tide team. Is it possible, yeah. Is it probable, I am going with no. Play it ten times and Galax wins 8 out of 10 IMO. If I am wrong, I will be on here to have my plate of crow.
According to the article from the PH/Burton game, Brown reaggravated his ankle in the game on Saturday and left in the 3rd quarter and didn't return. Not sure if he's able to play on Saturday, but he definitely won't be close to 100%.

I really hate it for any athlete but senior year makes it worse. They really haven’t needed him through the regular season and honestly would not have had to have him so far in the playoffs going by the scores. I just know that they had two back over 2K last year and he was the lead dog if you will. I do think PH is a quality team and very well may pull off the upset but if I was betting I would take MT.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
Brown not being 100% is a huge blow. He was their key on offense and it's a shame he's been so banged up and missed so many games his senior year.

I don't believe PH wins, I think Galax wins comfortably. But I was just sticking up for PH, they deserve to be there.

No doubt. I picked them to compete with and potentially beat Galax before the season. I do think Brown being injured and Galax with a RB named Brown of their own being on fire swings the pendulum in the Maroon Tide favor.

Trivia tidbit: This will be Patrick Henry's first-ever appearance in a state semifinal in football. Another one: In 1970, the first year that the VHSL held football playoffs, Patrick Henry posted a record of 9-0-1 - and did not qualify for the postseason. That's pretty harsh. Adding salt to the wound was the fact that the Rebels had knocked off Chilhowie, the eventual state champion in old class A.

Last edited:
Reactions: Optimal62
No doubt. I picked them to compete with and potentially beat Galax before the season. I do think Brown being injured and Galax with a RB named Brown of their own being on fire swings the pendulum in the Maroon Tide favor.

I believe Galax wins by multiple scores, but if Brown (PH) was healthy and 100%, maybe they make it a dogfight and hang around til the 4th.

And by upset alert I'm assuming you mean you will be upset that Essex doesn't win by 13....that ain't happening and you know it....you might hope but deep down you know.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT