ADVERTISEMENT

Realignment up or down

17Bluebird

VaPreps Rookie
Apr 22, 2021
The VHSL does realignment every two years. We always have schools that play up or play down when they should not. Which schools should really move up or move down the next time realignment comes out?

Hard to tell. This is only the 1st year of a four year cycle. New numbers won't be out until spring of 2026.

I’m sure there will be a few that move. I guess you could go back and see which teams were at the extremes in their class and ask if it’s likely they lost or gained students. You have gotten my curiosity up. I’m going to look up the numbers.

Independence is at 1586 in Grades 9-11 according to the LCPS dashboard...not sure if that would be enough to force them into Class 6 mid-cycle but they look on course for moving up eventually.

First, let me state that are a few schools that are playing outside of the class that their ADM would otherwise dictate. This muddies the numbers that I’m about to list below. And the reasons that this is the case is an argument for another day. (ie. Sherando).

With the exception of what I said above, here are the three schools on either side of the line between classes.

C1
Buffalo Gap 346
Westmoreland 348
George Wythe 353
C2
Mountain View 355
Riverheads 357
James River 359

Southampton 552
Central 560
Radford 562
C3
Maggie Walker Gov School 564
East Rockingham 587
Rustburg 595

Pulaski 893
Heritage NN 894
Hopewell 898
C4
Loudoun Valley 900
Jamestown 906
Monticello 909

Broad Run 1178
Monacan 1186
Eastern View 1200
C5
Matoaca 1204
Potomac Falls 1205
Louisa 1224

Independence 1470
Midlothian 1476
Kempsville 1488
C6
Potomac Falls 1503
Glen Allen 1505
Freedom SR 1524

So, looking at the break over points, who do you think may move up or down?
* If I recall correctly, if your ADM moves more than 5% above or below the break over point, you are required to move up or down?

The following schools were winless this past year and played in a district that had higher enrollment numbers than their school and should play down where they belong.

Martinsville
Liberty Bedford
Lakeland Suffolk
Denbigh
Richmond school for the arts

The following schools should play down because they don’t even play a district schedule.

John Marshall
Thomas Jefferson S & T Alexandria
Bruton Williamsburg

The following schools were winless this past year and played in a district that had higher enrollment numbers than their school and should play down where they belong.

Martinsville
Liberty Bedford
Lakeland Suffolk
Denbigh

The following schools should play down because they don’t even play a district schedule.

John Marshall
Bruton Williamsburg
I agree I think Liberty should move down

I agree I think Liberty should move down
Liberty just moved down to C2 this year. They really need to change districts- the Dogwood would be a better level of even competition. Travel costs would go up though I'm sure.

Liberty just moved down to C2 this year. They really need to change districts- the Dogwood would be a better level of even competition. Travel costs would go up though I'm sure.
That’s what I meant. They shouldn’t play in the Seminole. I believe they filed for this but was denied

Dogwood rejected them. Not sure why the VHSL can't step in there because it is completely unfair to them that they have to play up. Leaving the district and playing an independent schedule would be better for them, at least for football.

Dogwood rejected them. Not sure why the VHSL can't step in there because it is completely unfair to them that they have to play up. Leaving the district and playing an independent schedule would be better for them, at least for football.
I remember that now

Talent goes in cycles and right now the talent has swung away from Bedford Virginia . It was rumored a handful of their impact players left to go to other schools (JF) which decimates a school of their size now. someone floated the narrative that Bedford county has open enrollment as long as you can get yourself to said school (I don’t know the validity of this assertion). As moving to the dogwood would help in most sports but if the talent swings back to Liberty they will go back to being formidable and out classing the dogwood schools which is why I believe they denied them entry.

Talent goes in cycles and right now the talent has swung away from Bedford Virginia . It was rumored a handful of their impact players left to go to other schools (JF) which decimates a school of their size now. someone floated the narrative that Bedford county has open enrollment as long as you can get yourself to said school (I don’t know the validity of this assertion). As moving to the dogwood would help in most sports but if the talent swings back to Liberty they will go back to being formidable and out classing the dogwood schools which is why I believe they denied them entry.
It's not just talent that has left Bedford, it's jobs and people. The school is tiny now. If the school board redistricts them and takes some kids from JF and SR, then maybe. They have a new school board now so who knows what they will do. I'd imagine they'd go with the parents and not do that (don't think the JF parents want their kids going out to Liberty, not sure SR parents feel as passionate about it).

Reactions: rainman17
It's not just talent that has left Bedford, it's jobs and people. The school is tiny now. If the school board redistricts them and takes some kids from JF and SR, then maybe. They have a new school board now so who knows what they will do. I'd imagine they'd go with the parents and not do that (don't think the JF parents want their kids going out to Liberty, not sure SR parents feel as passionate about it).

I agree it’s a lot about the jobs and external factors that led to the decline of population in Bedford and a lot of other smaller cities and localities on the south western parts of the state. As you said the forest parents aren’t sending their kids anywhere but forest and SR and LHS are a little closer in likemindedness. I do feel the exodus of some of their best contributors sets them further back ( I know the football team was primarily a JV caliber team this season ) young and under developed . The cards are stacked against the minutemen right now but it won’t be that way forever at least we hope.

Harrisonburg with go down because as of September they will be sharing their 1,923 students with Rocktown High.

Last edited:

Martinsville
Liberty Bedford
Lakeland Suffolk
Denbigh

John Marshall
Bruton Williamsburg
Denbigh would play the same schedule.

Martinsville
Liberty Bedford
Lakeland Suffolk
Denbigh

John Marshall
Bruton Williamsburg
John Marshall

why don't you go to Class 2 winter forum
and say that and see the reaction

Last edited:
They are expected to go 5A and a new 5A district may be coming together with the likes of Orange, Louisa, and Albemarle. Culpeper will be 4A.
I think you would have to put this new district into what would be current-day Region 5D to help balance the regions a little better.

I would think (and hope) that Massaponax and Riverbend could be convinced to join that district as well if they remain Class 5. That would give this new district six teams.

However, those two could always opt to play up in Class 6. And with that, they would probably stay in the Commonwealth with the Stafford Schools as all of those Class 5 schools have opted to play up in Class 6.

Reactions: OCBoy
Does anyone know if the VHSL has released their timeline for the next realignment? It looks like there will be some significant changes. Schools are starting to take a look at 25-26 schedules but it is hard to commit when you don’t know who will be in your district.

We are on 4 years realignment cycles now. There could be some mid cycle changes in 25/26 if there are swings of 10% either way.

Otherwise don't expect any big changes until 27/28 SY. That realignment info should come in during the 25/26 SY. They typically give everyone a year or two heads up and time to process appeals, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT