ADVERTISEMENT

Reflections on Lafayette / King George game

Lafayette

VaPreps All District
Aug 26, 2001
King George is worthy of their lofty preseason comments. The defense is extremely fast and one of the more sure open field tacklers I have seen in some time. Pass defense is good. On offense their #2 RB is a very fast, quick tough runner. I believe he had over 200 yards. The Wr is tall and dangerous. The QB passes very well and #10 can run, don’t sleep on that. The one problem was a massive amount of penalties on offense. It had to be over 200 yards. That kept the game close for 3 Q’s.
On the Lafayette side the QB can throw and run the offense well. Lawrence as the power back is very good. Overall the players performed well but the offensive coaching failed pretty well. Repetitive runs up the middle with some pitch outs against a stacked KG defense is not a formula for success. This resulted in poor yardage, and with NO halftime adjustments about 3-4 first downs the whole game. As a result the defense was on the field in the first half a staggering amount of time and it showed in the 4 th Q when the game went south. Pretlow, the returning star was as good as expected with a KO return snd a big pass reception in the 4th. Lafayette has the potential for a very good season but they need a more wide open offense to fully utilize their excellent Qb and Pretlow skills. Not making halftime adjustments was unfathomable. Adapting in the game is critical.
My own thought and opinions of course having watched Lafayette for decades.

An addendum: if you were a coach, with 28 seconds to go in half , on the opposing teams 25 yard line with 1 time out left and its third down snd behind by 13-7, with the clock running would you take 2 shots near or in the end zone or have the QB clock the ball, go for a 35 odd yard FG on now 4 th down and take the TO to the locker room? Lafayette did the latter. Yes, it missed. I was perplexed.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT