ADVERTISEMENT

Region 2A OFFICIAL QTR FINAL PAIRING

Curious, can you explain to me how the #1 seed and the #2 seed will play in round 2 and that means, the 3,4,5, or 6 seed will automatically advance to the Region title game.? The way these brackets are set up, it means either the 3,4,5 or 6 seed will automatically advance to the Region Title Game, and it means the 3,4,5, or 6 seed will NOT have to play a 1 or 2 seed until the Region Title game. What on earth is the rationale for that system, and how on earth is Poquoson, a team with the third highest power ranking and arguably, the second best team behind King William (tied-close to Nottoway), how are they made the 6th seed? Who in the hel* comes up with this stuff?

Last edited:
I’m shocked! I sure would like an explanation of the seeding requirements my self. I feel for fellow Bay Rivers Poquoson playing a pretty tough schedule this year, having the third best power points and not seeded #3 but #6 and also incredibly on the road all the way to Brunswick. Absolutely nuts. One reason I personally disagree with each region coming up with their own rules and not a universal standard for each region, each class.

Reactions: GrahamHighGmen
Curious, can you explain to me how the #1 seed and the #2 seed will play in round 2 and that means, the 3,4,5, or 6 seed will automatically advance to the Region title game.? The way these brackets are set up, it means either the 3,4,5 or 6 seed will automatically advance to the Region Title Game, and it means the 3,4,5, or 6 seed will NOT have to play a 1 or 2 seed until the Region Title game. What on earth is the rationale for that system, and how on earth is Poquoson, a team with the third highest power ranking and arguable, the second best team behind King William (tied-close to Nottoway), how are they made the 6th seed? Who in the hel* comes up with this stuff?
you do know that these are from the VHSl and no 1 and 2 will not meet in the semis - I will ask the very good question about Poquoson.

Last edited:
I’m shocked! I sure would like an explanation of the seeding requirements my self. I feel for fellow Bay Rivers Poquoson playing a pretty tough schedule this year, having the third best power points and not seeded #3 but #6 and also incredibly on the road all the way to Brunswick. Absolutely nuts. One reason I personally disagree with each region coming up with their own rules and not a universal standard for each region, each class.
Just a real screw job, no other way to put it. 3 Teams Heavily Screwed and 1 Team given a gift in TJ.
King William and Nottoway, the 2 highest seeded teams (at least they got this right) and the two highest power rated teams are forced to play each other in round two. That is absolutely 100% BULLSH* and not only that, Nottoway, the 2 seed would have to TRAVEL in game two!!! Two seeds should be hosting the first two games of the playoffs, and only traveling in game 3, if the 1 seed is still left. Also, King William, the overall 1 seed should be playing the 8th best team in game one, and then the 4th or 5th best team in game two, not the second best team.

The Poquoson, has to travel, and not only that, TJ, who is probably the 4th best team in the region travels in game one to Amelia which is a game if they win, they get to turn around and HOST Poquoson in game two where Poquoson played a far more difficult schedule and has a higher power rating.

Pi**poor effort by Region A Athletic Directors, or Principals, or whoever came up with this big fat pile of horse Poop.

Poquoson played class 4, 9-1 Warhill, class 3 York 9-1 and class 3 Lafayette 7-2 and is 6th seeded?

It's still 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 in the 2nd round. Vhsl just put seeds in order when posting it instead of putting it in bracket form

apparently that is correct
Then Poquoson should file something with the VHSL. That's one of the biggest screw jobs in Virginia High School Athletics over the past 10 years. The 3rd highest ranked team in power rating who plays a schedule that's year in and year, one of, if not the most difficult Class 2 schedule in the state of Virginia being seeded as a 6 seed and having to travel in game one, and if they win, they get to turn around and travel again in game two. Absolutely foolish. If I were Poquoson, I would be on the one-way red phone with the VHSL and I would raise Holy He** because they just got ripped completely off.

Then Poquoson should file something with the VHSL. That's one of the biggest screw jobs in Virginia High School Athletics over the past 10 years. The 3rd highest ranked team in power rating who plays a schedule that's year in and year, one of, if not the most difficult Class 2 schedule in the state of Virginia being seeded as a 6 seed and having to travel in game one, and if they win, they get to turn around and travel again in game two. Absolutely foolish. If I were Poquoson, I would be on the one-way red phone with the VHSL and I would raise Holy He** because they just got ripped completely off.
I would too, but then I’ve always been confrontational in work and personal affairs.

It said that Region 2A seeding was determined by Vhsl points, the region ratings system and winning percentage. Never seen it done that way. I'm curious if schools were made aware of that beforehand and also how actually the region ratings system works.

It said that Region 2A seeding was determined by Vhsl points, the region ratings system and winning percentage. Never seen it done that way. I'm curious if schools were made aware of that beforehand and also how actually the region ratings system works.
My only thoughts as an ex controller and numbers guy is power points are calculated the same for all, region ratings systems are subjective and winning percentage is often misleading in many instances. 2 of the 3 criteria are seriously flawed. I’m surprised educated people agreed to this,

Reactions: gwb16
8 Team Bracket:

vs.

Plays winner of

vs.
—————
Vs.

Plays winner of

vs.

My only thoughts as an ex controller and numbers guy is power points are calculated the same for all, region ratings systems are subjective and winning percentage is often misleading in many instances. 2 of the 3 criteria are seriously flawed. I’m surprised educated people agreed to this,
I agree. It doesn't affect KW, but it could in the future. I think all regions should use the same criteria

Reactions: gwb16 and Lafayette

This is exactly my point. The VHSL power rating system applies to every school in Virginia. Again, if individual regions wants to be creative how they pick their top 8, for example, like Region D taking the top 4 from two districts, that's fine. That's working within the framework of the VHSL power ranking system. Region A is doing something that I am telling you, has NEVER been done in the history of Virginia. They are ADDING "Region Rankings" and "Winning Percentage" which is simply CREATING another ranking system without VHSL approval. That's working outside the framework of the VHSL rating system. If I were Poquoson, I would jump all over this. They aren't going to be able to overturn this for this year, as in next week. But, you can see the writing on the wall if your Poquoson for the future. Your playing in what is mostly a 3A and 4A district and winning percentage will ALWAYS get you when teams like Brunswick and Bluestone and Nottoway are playing 1A schools and will generally benefit in the winning percentage thing. Poquoson needs to call the VHSL immediately and protect major, major problems in the future.

The precedent that COULD be set above is dangerous. It's creating a situation where the very nature of playing bigger schools can hurt and will likely hurt you You can see the system in place this year in Region A is one where playing schools like Lafayette and Warhill and York will actually HARM you and playing 1A Central Lunenburg is actually MORE of a benefit! That could create disaster across Virginia if this were to catch on.

Of course with my NY minute tendency it’s never too late to change. Easy to re-rank on VHSL power points already verified and reissue on Monday the revised pairings. Plenty of time prepare for Friday or even Saturday.

Poquoson played class 4, 9-1 Warhill, class 3 York 9-1 and class 3 Lafayette 7-2 and is 6th seeded?
And they lost to a 3-6 Class 4 Smithfield team. Honestly, I would have expected Poquoson to beat the wheels off of the Packers this year.
Still doesn't make sense. Why have the Power Point system if they're going to do this?

But, then we can argue again, why is a 2A team playing in a District with so many 3A and 4A teams?

This is exactly my point. The VHSL power rating system applies to every school in Virginia. Again, if individual regions wants to be creative how they pick their top 8, for example, like Region D taking the top 4 from two districts, that's fine. That's working within the framework of the VHSL power ranking system. Region A is doing something that I am telling you, has NEVER been done in the history of Virginia. They are ADDING "Region Rankings" and "Winning Percentage" which is simply CREATING another ranking system without VHSL approval. That's working outside the framework of the VHSL rating system. If I were Poquoson, I would jump all over this. They aren't going to be able to overturn this for this year, as in next week. But, you can see the writing on the wall if your Poquoson for the future. Your playing in what is mostly a 3A and 4A district and winning percentage will ALWAYS get you when teams like Brunswick and Bluestone and Nottoway are playing 1A schools and will generally benefit in the winning percentage thing. Poquoson needs to call the VHSL immediately and protect major, major problems in the future.

The precedent that COULD be set above is dangerous. It's creating a situation where the very nature of playing bigger schools can hurt and will likely hurt you You can see the system in place this year in Region A is one where playing schools like Lafayette and Warhill and York will actually HARM you and playing 1A Central Lunenburg is actually MORE of a benefit! That could create disaster across Virginia if this were to catch on.
Exactly...and if this is going to be the new normal, teams like Poquoson, that play in Districts that are loaded with 3A & 4A teams will quit playing district schedules completely and start scheduling all 1A & 2A teams or the occasional 3A creampuff squad.....and then they'll have to deal with the threats of not qualifying for the playoffs because they didn't play a district schedule....I can see that coming also....because Admins are that narrowminded.

VHSL is all over the map, they don't know what they want. Every year it's a moving target.

Reactions: Lafayette
Dwight - You may be incorrectly assuming the educated part....well....educated beyond their intelligence.

Dwight - You may be incorrectly assuming the educated part....well....educated beyond their intelligence.
True. This issue with Poquoson shows the flaw in not having a rigid and standard qualifying and seeding process throughout the state.

And they lost to a 3-6 Class 4 Smithfield team. Honestly, I would have expected Poquoson to beat the wheels off of the Packers this year.
Still doesn't make sense. Why have the Power Point system if they're going to do this?

But, then we can argue again, why is a 2A team playing in a District with so many 3A and 4A teams?
Agree Smithfield is not a very good team though with some very good athletes this year but they are a large class 4 school. Maybe the Bay Rivers needs to re-examine the 2 class 2 teams and be replaced. Maybe it’s time districts to reorganize by class size.

Agree Smithfield is not a very good team though with some very good athletes this year but they are a large class 4 school. Maybe the Bay Rivers needs to re-examine the 2 class 2 teams and be replaced. Maybe it’s time districts to reorganize by class size.
Don’t know anything about Smithfield. But I do agree with the districts realignment. Down here in East Tn districts are all the same schools. Now some play local schools of upper or lower class for non district or conference games.

apparently that is correct
The VHSL really needs to step in here and streamline the qualification process across the board. Just take a look here in 2A. Four regions with two regions using three different ways to calculate qualifiers. While we're in the current setup, let's just do eight teams in each region based on overall power points and you fall where you fall. The VHSL continues to show ZERO leadership and think regional autonomy is a positive when it isn't.

Reactions: Lafayette and gwb16
Exactly...and if this is going to be the new normal, teams like Poquoson, that play in Districts that are loaded with 3A & 4A teams will quit playing district schedules completely and start scheduling all 1A & 2A teams or the occasional 3A creampuff squad.....and then they'll have to deal with the threats of not qualifying for the playoffs because they didn't play a district schedule....I can see that coming also....because Admins are that narrowminded.

VHSL is all over the map, they don't know what they want. Every year it's a moving target.
You're right. The VHSL has no idea. It starts with regional balance across the classifications. I did a breakdown of this earlier this year on this site as to how it could work. Once you have the balance in the regions, you can do equal team brackets through all classifications with representatives each determined the same way.

What they have are a bunch of administrators who think they are smarter than everyone else just because they work in education, and they have overthought this and made the whole thing convoluted to where you barely know who qualified and why, and who's playing who and where and at what time. All while making district championships (which used to be a big friggin' deal) irrelevant.

I agree with a couple of the posters on adding or making up your own formula. If a Region decides how teams get into the playoffs be in power rating, district schedule, etc, then I think that's ok, but they are going at least by the VHSL power ranking. When a Region actually creates its own formulas, which is basically making up it's own power ranking, that kind of crosses the line in my opinion. Like the Union guy said, kind of do as you wish as long as you work within the VHSL power rating framework, but when you start to create your own ratings system, that is a bit much.

You're right. The VHSL has no idea. It starts with regional balance across the classifications. I did a breakdown of this earlier this year on this site as to how it could work. Once you have the balance in the regions, you can do equal team brackets through all classifications with representatives each determined the same way.

What they have are a bunch of administrators who think they are smarter than everyone else just because they work in education, and they have overthought this and made the whole thing convoluted to where you barely know who qualified and why, and who's playing who and where and at what time. All while making district championships (which used to be a big friggin' deal) irrelevant.
VHSL has no power or authority to dictate to the regions
they serve at thier pleasure so if there is a issue
the region needs to look no further than the nearest mirror.

The whole decentralized process (region) is flawed. In my home state with as many high schools as Virginia, the NJ interscholastic board determines the entire process so it is applied evenly in every area. One question unanswered is if a rule change is done by a region currently, does it need to pass by a simple majority or unanimously?

Hold on now. I'm not so sure the VHSL "has no power or authority" to dictate to the regions. I think the VHSL absolutely DOES have the power and authority. They have simply handed that power and authority over to the Regions as a choice, but they absolutely do have the power and ability to TAKE that power back if they wish.

Who decides which team is in each region? The VHSL decides that, not the region. Who decides classification levels/cutoff numbers? The VHSL does, not the regions. Who decides how many regions there are? The VHSL does. Who decides how many teams make the playoffs? The VHSL does. The VHSL has delegated/GIVEN power to the regions in rounds 1 through 3 of the playoffs. Who decides whether there are 4 classifications or 6 classification systems? The VHSL does, not the regions. They can certainly take that power back if they wish. I don't buy into the argument that they are completely powerless.

Not that it makes it right, but this ISN'T new.

The SAME thing happened in MAY!!!

But I digress, me mentioning this is being a smarta**.

Not that it makes it right, but this ISN'T new.

The SAME thing happened in MAY!!!

But I digress, me mentioning this is being a smarta**.
I don't know about digressing and smarta** or all that stuff, but you are exactly right. This did happen in the spring. Hopefully, it returns to normal next year and they just stop trying to outthink the system and just take the top 8 teams according to the VHSL power rating. Stop it with the top 4 in one district, then the top 4 by power ranking in another, and then downeast, stop making up formulas and such. It's just stupid.

I don't know about digressing and smarta** or all that stuff, but you are exactly right. This did happen in the spring. Hopefully, it returns to normal next year and they just stop trying to outthink the system and just take the top 8 teams according to the VHSL power rating. Stop it with the top 4 in one district, then the top 4 by power ranking in another, and then downeast, stop making up formulas and such. It's just stupid.

Well if you don't know about it, then I dunno who would. You are the one who said it. So I figured in this one post I would say something funny and make you right haha

I certainly don't think that what Region A is right, and it absolutely sucks for Poquoson. My only point was that in the Spring Poquoson had 3rd highest Rating and was 4 seed. Amelia ended up 3rd and unfortunately got a BYE when KW couldn't play.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT