Douglas Freeman
Glen Allen
Hermitage
JR Tucker
Mills Godwin
Clover Hill
LC Bird
Midlothian
HSHS will probably end up at 6A - they will probably get those kids that Varina and Henrico are losing

What changes would happen in 4B? This is the current list, who’s dropping?

Dinwiddie
Louisa
Varina
Henrico
Eastern View
Monacan
Matoaca
Atlee
Huguenot
Patrick Henry
Chancellor
Courtland
Lee-Davis
Caroline
Powhatan
George Wythe
Hanover
King George
Orange
Spotsylvania

Reactions: CRF4Dan
What changes would happen in 4B? This is the current list, who’s dropping?

Dinwiddie
Louisa
Varina
Henrico
Eastern View
Monacan
Matoaca
Atlee
Huguenot
Patrick Henry
Chancellor
Courtland
Lee-Davis
Caroline
Powhatan
George Wythe
Hanover
King George
Orange
Spotsylvania
The only hope to go to a 4 class system for some of these teams. I have no doubt in my mind that Henrico and Varina would dominate Class 4 in a 6 class system. Girls and boys basketball and football! Rec leagues in Henrico County are just feeding in too much talent over the next 4-6 years.

so far no one has asked to drop
they will have to divide into two subregions for all sports
4B North Section and 4B South.Section
(they already do that for some sports for the regional playoffs).

BOYS
REGION 4B:

South Section First Round (Monday 2/24):
#4 Patrick Henry 60, #5 Hanover 54

Quarterfinals (Wednesday 2/26, cross bracketed with North Section):
Game 1: #1N Courtland 60, #4S Patrick Henry 56
Game 2: #2N Louisa 66, #3S George Wythe 52
Game 3: #2S Huguenot 107, #3N Chancellor 67
Game 4: #1S Monacan 95, #4N Eastern View 48

Semifinals (Friday 2/28)
Huguenot at Courtland
Louisa at Monacan

Championship (Monday 3/2):
Semifinal Winners, time TBD

GIRLS

Sectional First Round (Monday 2/24):
SOUTH: #4 Powhatan 59, #5 Huguenot 46
NORTH: #5 Chancellor 64, #4 Caroline 35

Quarterfinals (Wednesday 2/26, cross bracketed with North Section):
Game 1: #1N King George 53, #4S Powhatan 36
Game 2: #2N Eastern View 53, #3S Patrick Henry 52
Game 3: #2S Hanover 56, #3N Louisa 41
Game 4: #1S Monacan 72, #5N Chancellor 29

Semifinals (Friday 2/28):
Hanover at King George, 6:30pm
Eastern View at Monacan, 6pm

Championship (Monday 3/2):
Semifinal Winners, time TBA

You nailed it... There were two options I heard recently, might have been on the radio or in another discussion but talk of dividing Region 4B into 2 10-team sub-regions or perhaps taking some of more Northern schools and moving them to a different region.

You nailed it... There were two options I heard recently, might have been on the radio or in another discussion but talk of dividing Region 4B into 2 10-team sub-regions or perhaps taking some of more Northern schools and moving them to a different region.
no need to move folk in mid-session. Both 6C and 6D and doing the same thing.

4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Atlee
Huguenot
Mechanicsville (will rename 8/20)
George Wythe
Hanover

4B North Section

Eastern View
Louisa
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Orange
Spotsylvania
Caroline
Powhatan
Patrick Henry

at least that is how I see it anyway.
I wanted to keep all the Hanover schools together
but PH was the northern most of the schools
so I moved them north.

Makes sense although I think maybe they would go 9/11 to keep PH with the Hanover but who knows. Guess we will find out in due time.

Reactions: RVA804
4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Atlee
Huguenot
George Wythe
Hanover
Patrick Henry

4B North Section

Eastern View
Louisa
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Orange
Spotsylvania
Caroline
Powhatan

The sub-regions seem unnecessary if VHSL keeping 6 classes. George Wythe, Caroline, Spotsylvania should drop down to 3A according to ADM numbers. Those 3 schools have enrollment figures within 75 students of Hopewell and have less students than Div 3 schools like Western Albemarle (might move to Div 4), Monticello, Fluvanna and Charlottesville.

My math might be wrong, but that would put 4B at 17 schools, which is the number that 5B had last year.
Currently Region 3B has 12 schools, they could add those 3 schools and the numbers would even out.

The sub-regions seem unnecessary if VHSL keeping 6 classes. George Wythe, Caroline, Spotsylvania should drop down to 3A according to ADM numbers. Those 3 schools have enrollment figures within 75 students of Hopewell and have less students than Div 3 schools like Western Albemarle (might move to Div 4), Monticello, Fluvanna and Charlottesville.

My math might be wrong, but that would put 4B at 17 schools, which is the number that 5B had last year.
Currently Region 3B has 12 schools, they could add those 3 schools and the numbers would even out.

According to the VHSL to move up or down you have to be in a 5% threshold of the other class. Based on the numbers from the VHSL George Wythe, Caroline and Spotsylvania do not fit in that 5% threshold.

this is about now not some possible realignment in the future

4B South Section
Dinwiddie
Varina
Henrico
Monacan
Matoaca
Atlee
Huguenot
George Wythe
Hanover
Patrick Henry

4B North Section

Eastern View
Louisa
Chancellor
Courtland
King George
Orange
Spotsylvania
Caroline
Powhatan

looks good but should we switch Powhatan to south and Hanover to 4B North?

remember 2 years ago 4B had 4 undefeated teams. Can you imagine adding Varina and Henrico to that list? Hell Motoaca has good athletes and they are on the verge of getting their program together. Getting out of 4B will be a major feat.

remember 2 years ago 4B had 4 undefeated teams. Can you imagine adding Varina and Henrico to that list? Hell Motoaca has good athletes and they are on the verge of getting their program together. Getting out of 4B will be a major feat.

Whoever would come out of the region would either be a) battle tested like never before which could be a plus or a negative... for starters you have played some of the best and ready for any challenge but with the same token you could be so worn out from just winning the region you easy pickings.

It would almost be unfair to the South to play an all south bracket. You’d have to cross bracket IMO and I’m sure you believe the same thing LOL! Imagine getting the 1 seed and playing Dinwiddie the first round, just to play Henrico in the next round, just to see Varina in the semi’s.. Then you’ll have to duke it out with the “North Champ” Louisa in the region championship. Sheeeesh!

Reactions: mbonape1

trying to keep the four Hanover County schools together - if not I would have sent PH North

It would almost be unfair to the South to play an all south bracket. You’d have to cross bracket IMO and I’m sure you believe the same thing LOL! Imagine getting the 1 seed and playing Dinwiddie the first round, just to play Henrico in the next round, just to see Varina in the semi’s.. Then you’ll have to duke it out with the “North Champ” Louisa in the region championship. Sheeeesh!
last year they did do crossover in the hoops playoffs

Imagine if Varina had been Class 4 last year? I think there is a legit chance they would have been state champs.

Imagine if Varina had been Class 4 last year? I think there is a legit chance they would have been state champs.
Was at the Varina/LT game this past fall. Varina made LT, who by all means were very talented, look like a pee wee rec team going up against the Ohio State Buckeye 2010s all decade team! It wasn’t pretty at all. I think Henrico County just breeds quality athletes.. The whole 804 does. The East End will be loaded for years to come. As great as Loren Johnson is, a lot of those 2nd and 3rd stringers he has want to ball too and I think Varina will reap those benefits. They’ve built a heck of a staff and I admire that their new principal is all in on athletics.

Reactions: mbonape1

no question they would have won class 4 last year. They annihilated and to some degree humiliated the class 4 champion. Varina was on a different level last year. We will see what happens in 2021.

Reactions: CRF4Dan

Don’t forget EV. That would be the toughest playoff bracket in the state bar none. Teams would be limping into the state Semi’s after that gauntlet.

Don’t forget EV. That would be the toughest playoff bracket in the state bar none. Teams would be limping into the state Semi’s after that gauntlet.

That is my only concern with this potential enhanced Region 4B is that the teams would be so battle tested that they might reach the state semifinals or state finals banged up, worn out after battling through the regional playoffs.

That is my only concern with this potential enhanced Region 4B is that the teams would be so battle tested that they might reach the state semifinals or state finals banged up, worn out after battling through the regional playoffs.
Not taking nothing away from the Salem teams who earned and rightfully were state champs in 2016 and 2017 but Dinwiddie and Louisa played a dang near GLAUTLET to get there. Salem earned it both years cause at the end of the day, they beat 3 of the best teams this decade to win those titles (2016 Dinwiddie, 2017 Blackburg and 2017 Louisa). I’m all for the cross bracketing. Your best teams will always play for the championship. It worked well in Class 3. Just a prime example, in 2017, undefeated Louisa traveled to undefeated Monacan came from behind to win, only to travel to undefeated Dinwiddie (who beat went on the road and beat Salem earlier that year) the next week. They beat 2 undefeated teams and still had to play a 1 loss Lafeyette team in the semi’s. That was damn impressive and I’m by no means throwing any jabs at the respected Spartans. With the guys and coaching staff they had in 2016 and 2017, I still believe Salem would’ve won the Class 5 championship for all it’s worth. Just really a testament of how good Region B really was!

Not taking nothing away from the Salem teams who earned and rightfully were state champs in 2016 and 2017 but Dinwiddie and Louisa played a dang near GLAUTLET to get there. Salem earned it both years cause at the end of the day, they beat 3 of the best teams this decade to win those titles (2016 Dinwiddie, 2017 Blackburg and 2017 Louisa). I’m all for the cross bracketing. Your best teams will always play for the championship. It worked well in Class 3. Just a prime example, in 2017, undefeated Louisa traveled to undefeated Monacan came from behind to win, only to travel to undefeated Dinwiddie (who beat went on the road and beat Salem earlier that year) the next week. They beat 2 undefeated teams and still had to play a 1 loss Lafeyette team in the semi’s. That was damn impressive and I’m by no means throwing any jabs at the respected Spartans. With the guys and coaching staff they had in 2016 and 2017, I still believe Salem would’ve won the Class 5 championship for all it’s worth. Just really a testament of how good Region B really was!

I did think Salem was going to get creamed by Dinwiddie in 2016 but they played the best game I have seen a team play in HSFB. Also, Ramsey was the type of back that you see at your school once every 20 years. 2017 4B was top heavy. Can’t remember what year 2016 or 2017 but region D had like 8 solid teams.. even C’Ville was in the mix and before Amherst hit a wall. Their region was better 8 deep than B was. I agree top 4 vs top 4 I would have went with B, but barely. Salem, BB, Amherst, GW were all really good ball clubs. But if Varina and Henrico join B that is insane. Schools like Louisa and Dinwiddie that field 120 kids in the program will be ok. Monacan has like 50-60 kids in the total program including JV and Varsity. We wouldn’t be able to make it. Varina is just a cut above the rest regardless in my opinion. They were up 40+ PT’s on our state champion in the 2nd quarter. That LT team has 3 legit D1 athletes but we’re no match.

Class 4 statewide 2017 was the best VAHSFB has ever been in a classification top to bottom. Remember region A.. LT, DC, KF (beat Oscar smith), Lafayette, Smithfield. That was all the same year. Also that same season Sherando has Martinsburg in the ropes, Woodgrove, Dominion, and Handly.

We may never see a field that good top to bottom again. There were 10-15 teams that had real shot at a state title that year.

I did think Salem was going to get creamed by Dinwiddie in 2016 but they played the best game I have seen a team play in HSFB. Also, Ramsey was the type of back that you see at your school once every 20 years. 2017 4B was top heavy. Can’t remember what year 2016 or 2017 but region D had like 8 solid teams.. even C’Ville was in the mix and before Amherst hit a wall. Their region was better 8 deep than B was. I agree top 4 vs top 4 I would have went with B, but barely. Salem, BB, Amherst, GW were all really good ball clubs. But if Varina and Henrico join B that is insane. Schools like Louisa and Dinwiddie that field 120 kids in the program will be ok. Monacan has like 50-60 kids in the total program including JV and Varsity. We wouldn’t be able to make it. Varina is just a cut above the rest regardless in my opinion. They were up 40+ PT’s on our state champion in the 2nd quarter. That LT team has 3 legit D1 athletes but we’re no match.

Class 4 statewide 2017 was the best VAHSFB has ever been in a classification top to bottom. Remember region A.. LT, DC, KF (beat Oscar smith), Lafayette, Smithfield. That was all the same year. Also that same season Sherando has Martinsburg in the ropes, Woodgrove, Dominion, and Handly.

We may never see a field that good top to bottom again. There were 10-15 teams that had real shot at a state title that year.

Good post. If I can offer one clarification - Ramsey didn’t play in the 2016 championship game against Dinwiddie. That year, he was dismissed from the team late in the regular season. He did return for the 2017 season. Sorry to nitpick.

Made a boneheaded decision. We’ve all made them, maybe not as severe as this. Hopefully he will learn and turn his life around. He still has time to turn it around. Sad story.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/roanok...25c91127-e0ed-5809-b024-7888f407e5a3.amp.html
Thankyou for posting that. When I commented in another thread about the lack of alternate paths for truly gifted athletes that have no business going to college because they really aren't academically inclined, this young man was exactly who I was thinking about. I'm glad to hear that he's grown from his mistakes, and I truly hope he can pursue his dream of continuing to play the game he was truly made to play.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
He is out of prison now and I pray that he will stay away from drugs and the trouble that comes with them. Whatever his path I hope he will showcase the talent in life that he did in football.

He is out of prison now and I pray that he will stay away from drugs and the trouble that comes with them. Whatever his path I hope he will showcase the talent in life that he did in football.
Mike is he still working at the same spot? I’d love to go share a word of encouragement with him the next time I’m in town. When you talk Vic Hall, Cedric Peerman, David Wilson.. D’Lo Ramsey is in that same breath. Truly one of the best talents I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. I pray the kid gets his nose clean, stays out of the way of trouble, makes a comfortable wage and is able to tell his story to young boys. You’d be hard pressed to find a better RB than D’Lo Ramsey in this upcoming year’s draft class. Of course these young men have 3 years of training and coaching on D’Lo but I have no doubt that if trouble wouldn’t have been in the kid’s life he would’ve been great.

I also wonder will a college take a chance on him? May not be Clemson or Bama, but any accredited college education is good. The Apprentice School comes to mind. He could play football and learn a trade (unfortunately a lot of white collar jobs will frown at his record even if he’s able to change his life around). One of the beauties now is the NFL is finding talent. D2, D3, NAIA..

I also wonder will a college take a chance on him? May not be Clemson or Bama, but any accredited college education is good. The Apprentice School comes to mind. He could play football and learn a trade (unfortunately a lot of white collar jobs will frown at his record even if he’s able to change his life around). One of the beauties now is the NFL is finding talent. D2, D3, NAIA..
Our High Schools are not doing enough to prep kids for real life. I remember having Vocational classes offered in HS back in my day. Those were for the kids who didn't want to go the college route and wanted to learn a trade instead. They don't do that anymore in HS, they seem to think every kid MUST go to college. Wrong.

Our High Schools are not doing enough to prep kids for real life. I remember having Vocational classes offered in HS back in my day. Those were for the kids who didn't want to go the college route and wanted to learn a trade instead. They don't do that anymore in HS, they seem to think every kid MUST go to college. Wrong.
I agree. Without giving out too much personal info, I work in a high school and though there are a lot of trade programs available, a lot of kids just aren’t interested. A lot of students who do the trade program want cosmetology or the culinary arts program. NOTHING and I mean NOTHING is wrong with that but everybody and their momma is doing hair and anybody can cook. Now I’m not throwing off or belittling those programs but I promote HVAC, landscaping, construction, electricity and welding. They can make a whole hell of a lot more money than I can with those certificates than I can make with a whole master’s degree.

Mike is he still working at the same spot? I’d love to go share a word of encouragement with him the next time I’m in town. When you talk Vic Hall, Cedric Peerman, David Wilson.. D’Lo Ramsey is in that same breath. Truly one of the best talents I’ve ever seen in my lifetime. I pray the kid gets his nose clean, stays out of the way of trouble, makes a comfortable wage and is able to tell his story to young boys. You’d be hard pressed to find a better RB than D’Lo Ramsey in this upcoming year’s draft class. Of course these young men have 3 years of training and coaching on D’Lo but I have no doubt that if trouble wouldn’t have been in the kid’s life he would’ve been great.
He worked at Zaxbys in Salem the last I talked to him, but that place has closed and he lives in Roanoke from what I understand. I used to see him around the restaurant and talk with him for a bit, but I wish I could encourage him now. He's a good kid that has made some bad choices. A JUCO program that catered to behavioral and learning disabilities with focus on the trades would be great for him I think.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
He worked at Zaxbys in Salem the last I talked to him, but that place has closed and he lives in Roanoke from what I understand. I used to see him around the restaurant and talk with him for a bit, but I wish I could encourage him now. He's a good kid that has made some bad choices. A JUCO program that catered to behavioral and learning disabilities with focus on the trades would be great for him I think.
I went to speak to him in 2018 (right before his legal troubles) and the manager told me he had moved back to Pulaski. I always tend to have really good relationships with kids like him. If it’s nothing much but asking how their day is going, it makes a difference just by showing them positive attention. I hope he’s doing well for himself.

Good post. If I can offer one clarification - Ramsey didn’t play in the 2016 championship game against Dinwiddie. That year, he was dismissed from the team late in the regular season. He did return for the 2017 season. Sorry to nitpick.

all good, thanks for the correction. He played amazing in 2017 which was the freshest in my memory. Gave Louisa and Sherando the game before massive problems!

Get him a spot on #lastchanceU... who knows what would happen! Maybe he flourishes!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT