ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B VHSL Ratings - Oct. 24th

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
VHSL released their ratings this morning... With two weeks to go here is how we look...

#1 29.7 Monacan
#2 29.5 Dinwiddie
#3 29.5 Louisa
#4 29.5 Eastern View
#5 26.5 Midlothian
#6 25.0 Courtland
#7 22.6 Huguenot
#8 21.7 Powhatan

So your playoff matchups with two weeks to go look like this...

#8 Powhatan at #1 Monacan
#7 Huguenot at #2 Dinwiddie
#6 Courtland at #3 Louisa
#5 Midlothian at #4 Eastern View

How do you feel about the playoff picture this week?

I hope Huguenot and Powhatan can hold on to the last 2 spots.

Huguenot has Clover Hill(4-5) this week which could go either way and then of course Monacan(7-1).
Powhatan has Orange(2-6) and Albemarle(4-4)

I am almost certain Huguenot gets in and as long as Powhatan wins out they should.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
Its going to be razor thin for the top spot between Monacan and Dinwiddie if everybody wins out. Other than home field advantage the points mean very little. Courtland should slide back up into the fifth slot if they win out. Midlothian plays Monacan tomorrow and that should be a loss for Midlo. Say what you want, but Region B may be deeper than D this year.

Dinwiddie, Louisa, E-V all have 236 points-Monacan has 238.

Assuming all win out:
Louisa will gain 70-74 more points (Chanc. and Court vs Spotsy to close to call IMO) (306-310 total)
EV will gain 58-72 points (68 is my guess) (294-308 total; 304)
Dinwiddie will gain 76-88 points (86 is my guess) (312-324; 320)
Monacan will gain 77-80 points (78 is my guess) (314-318; 316)

Louisa/EV can not catch Din/Mon.
Din/Mon will be 1/2 and Louisa/EV will be 3/4.
Dinwiddie gets big points if they beat Hopewell
Monacan gets a big boost from Midlo and Huguenot
Louisa does well with Fluvanna but is hurt by C'ville. Also 2/3 OOD have just one game left.
EV gets just over the minimum with their two.

Dinwiddie has the toughest test IMO with Hopewell.
Louisa has Fluvanna who has done well this year.
Monacan has a .500 and an above .500 team
EV has two sub .500 teams.

Last edited:
Seeds 1 - 4 win easily, with Courtland vs Louisa being the closest contest if they do meet in the first round. If Courtland moves up to 5, they will lose decisively to EV. Either way 1 - 4 advance.

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
VHSL released their ratings this morning... With two weeks to go here is how we look...

#1 29.7 Monacan
#2 29.5 Dinwiddie
#3 29.5 Louisa
#4 29.5 Eastern View
#5 26.5 Midlothian
#6 25.0 Courtland
#7 22.6 Huguenot
#8 21.7 Powhatan

So your playoff matchups with two weeks to go look like this...

#8 Powhatan at #1 Monacan
#7 Huguenot at #2 Dinwiddie
#6 Courtland at #3 Louisa
#5 Midlothian at #4 Eastern View

How do you feel about the playoff picture this week?
What is the tiebreaker that is used to break the current three way tie between Dinwiddie, Louisa, and Eastern View? Not that it really matters, they won't stay tied. Just curious. Have a good one!

What is the tiebreaker that is used to break the current three way tie between Dinwiddie, Louisa, and Eastern View? Not that it really matters, they won't stay tied. Just curious. Have a good one!
There is a thread on this board named tie breaker. I actually posted and the answers are there

Dinwiddie, Louisa, E-V all have 236 points-Monacan has 238.

Assuming all win out:
Louisa will gain 70-74 more points (Chanc. and Court vs Spotsy to close to call IMO) (306-310 total)
EV will gain 58-72 points (68 is my guess) (294-308 total; 304)
Dinwiddie will gain 76-86 points (84 is my guess) (312-322; 320)
Monacan will gain 77-83 points (81 is my guess) (315-321; 319)

Louisa/EV can not catch Din/Mon.
Din/Mon will be 1/2 and Louisa/EV will be 3/4.
Dinwiddie gets big points if they beat Hopewell
Monacan gets a big boost from Midlo and Huguenot
Louisa does well with Fluvanna but is hurt by C'ville. Also 2/3 OOD have just one game left.
EV gets just over the minimum with their two.

Dinwiddie has the toughest test IMO with Hopewell.
Louisa has Fluvanna who has done well this year.
Monacan has a .500 and an above .500 team
EV has two sub .500 teams.

If Glen Allen wins out and finishes 8-2 and all else is how you described would Monacan be ahead of Dinwiddie or still behind?

Reactions: VAHSFootballFan
If Glen Allen wins out and finishes 8-2 and all else is how you described would Monacan be ahead of Dinwiddie or still behind?

My prediction has Glen Allen winning out. Monacan is currently relying on Hanover to go 2-0 vs Armstrong and Atlee.

Dinwiddie is watching Denbigh, Smithfield, and Salem. Denbigh and Smithfield only have one game apiece left. Salem has Hidden Valley and Pulaski.

Col. Heights vs Appomattox is a variable for Dinwiddie. Worth 2 points. Would actually take their max to 324.

Miscalculated Monacan (I counted a Manchester win as 2 instead of 1) Their max is 318.

So...Monacan needs Glen Allen to win out. Hanover to win at least 1. Appomattox to beat Col. Heights. Denbigh and Smithfield to lose, and Salem to drop 1.
If Hanover goes 2-0 then they could afford Salem to go 2-0.

Clear as mud, right? :)

My prediction has Glen Allen winning out. Monacan is currently relying on Hanover to go 2-0 vs Armstrong and Atlee.

Dinwiddie is watching Denbigh, Smithfield, and Salem. Denbigh and Smithfield only have one game apiece left. Salem has Hidden Valley and Pulaski.

Col. Heights vs Appomattox is a variable for Dinwiddie. Worth 2 points. Would actually take their max to 324.

Miscalculated Monacan (I counted a Manchester win as 2 instead of 1) Their max is 318.

So...Monacan needs Glen Allen to win out. Hanover to win at least 1. Appomattox to beat Col. Heights. Denbigh and Smithfield to lose, and Salem to drop 1.

Wow that is amazing. I think everything else could happen maybe even Hanover over Atlee but that one is a stretch. Salem could easily go 1-1 or 2-0. Wow this is finger nail bitting time... No margin for error.

Thanks for clearing that up!

Welp, back to the drawing board.

Rev_Real and Lancerdad are quick to throw jabs at schools not from the Richmond area but get so offended if someone else makes a joke :D:D Can't wait for these playoffs to start!! It is going to be fun!!

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Rev_Real and Lancerdad are quick to throw jabs at schools not from the Richmond area but get so offended if someone else makes a joke :D:D Can't wait for these playoffs to start!! It is going to be fun!!
There you go again making false statements. @Rev_Real is a region c guy. Hes not from Richmond. I will not defend him he can do that. Where did I jab teams? I clearly stated I have no beef with EV as a team they are good. I did say "Eastern View gambles by assuming they will go undefeated, scheduling class 3 teams and hoping to secure rider points instead scheduling tougher class 5 teams for higher point totals". That is just facts. The unique thing is Dinwiddie and Monacan lost, so the gamble may pay off and they will likely get that elusive second round playoff game. Quit stirring the pot this has nothing to do with a good EV team. In fact, I clearly said if I were a fan I would question the athletic director and felt sorry for the players not being able to play at home. Clown, how is that a dig on Hatfield and his team? You guys look for every reason to cry about being mistreated (Not you OCBoy). A bunch of victims around here. My team has lost twice to Manchester and Monacan. You don't hear me crying and making excuses. Has anyone heard @mbonape1, @BleedingNavy @1Gensfan or @DinwiddieProud blubbering after tough losses or bragging after wins. Heck no. We (RVA) play, we win, we lose, and most importantly we accept either with class.

Last edited:

lol I don't have a dog in this fight, I just know based off facts and keep it real (hence the name Rev_Real)

There you go again making false statements. @Rev_Real is a region c guy. Hes not from Richmond. I will not defend him he can do that. Where did I jab teams? I clearly stated I have no beef with EV as a team they are good. I did say "Eastern View gambles by assuming they will go undefeated, scheduling class 3 teams and hoping to secure rider points instead scheduling tougher class 5 teams for higher point totals". That is just facts. The unique thing is Dinwiddie and Monacan lost, so the gamble may pay off and they will likely get that elusive second round playoff game. Quit stirring the pot this has nothing to do with a good EV team. In fact, I clearly said if I were a fan I would question the athletic director and felt sorry for the players not being able to play at home. Clown, how is that a dig on Hatfield and his team? You guys look for every reason to cry about being mistreated (Not you OCBoy). A bunch of victims around here. My team has lost twice to Manchester and Monacan. You don't hear me crying and making excuses. Has anyone heard @mbonape1, @BleedingNavy @1Gensfan or @DinwiddieProud blubbering after tough losses or bragging after wins. Heck no. We (RVA) play, we win, we lose, and most importantly we accept either with class.
What did I miss about Dinwiddies out of conference schedule? Didn’t they schedule Denbigh?

What did I miss about Dinwiddies out of conference schedule? Didn’t they schedule Denbigh?
Yes they did, along with Salem and Smithfield who is down this year. I believe starting next year it will be Massaponax( sorry if I spelled it wrong) and North Stafford. I dont understand why the fans get so upset when they talk about schedule. Before our loss to Hopewell, we were tied in points with Loisa and EV, but we HAD the #2 spot because strength of schedule comes into play in a tie situation. That's not fair to the kids of Lousa or EV IMO.

Reactions: OCBoy
I am going so say this. EV and Louisa are great programs and I am not taking anything away from them. All teams have to play their district schedule. If your district consists of all 3a and 4a with maybe 1 5A it only makes sense to schedule to play up. Before our loss to Hopewell we were tied and we play 2 teams who have 0 wins which means NO bonus points. Monacan can still possibly get the #2 spot with 2 losses over an undefeated team because of SOS. No one is saying EV and Louisa arent good we all know they are.

As an AD you need to be able to do the math, predict wins of other teams 2-3 years in the future, and have the networking skills to get the right teams to play you. And that's just for your football team''s schedule.

I am dont know Dinwiddies AD, but when you look at Denbigh, Smithfield and Salems records prior to this 2 year cycle you had 5+7+10=22 thats 44 bonus points and 66 base points. Who wouldnt take that. Whats your point? All 3 are class four teams. As previously said Dinwiddie is playing GW, Ponnax and N. Stafford the next cycle. 22+24+24 = 70 ood base points to start and district base points of 24, 24, 24, 26, 22, 22, 22 = 164 thats 234 start points. Thats how you schedule to take the top seed.

Reactions: OCBoy and 1Gensfan
I am dont know Dinwiddies AD, but when you look at Denbigh, Smithfield and Salems records prior to this 2 year cycle you had 5+7+10=22 thats 44 bonus points and 66 base points. Who wouldnt take that. Whats your point? All 3 are class four teams. As previously said Dinwiddie is playing GW, Ponnax and N. Stafford the next cycle. 22+24+24 = 70 ood base points to start and district base points of 24, 24, 24, 26, 22, 22, 22 = 164 thats 234 start points. Thats how you schedule to take the top seed.
That's quite a bit of travel as well @LancerDad so no excuses on this end. All I will say is that even with 1 and 2 losses the Chiefs and the Generals will be battle tested and prepared.

Yes they did, along with Salem and Smithfield who is down this year. I believe starting next year it will be Massaponax( sorry if I spelled it wrong) and North Stafford. I dont understand why the fans get so upset when they talk about schedule. Before our loss to Hopewell, we were tied in points with Loisa and EV, but we HAD the #2 spot because strength of schedule comes into play in a tie situation. That's not fair to the kids of Lousa or EV IMO.
What’s not fair? It was a tight race points wise before this weeks losses so it’s not like EV schedule was that much different. Culpeper (3 going to 4) and Orange (5 at the time) are two neighboring rival schools they have to play. TA was 6-5 b2b years and Bville was 10-3 and lost in the semis I believe the year the schedule was made. A 10 win class 3 isn’t much different points wise than a 0-10 clas 5 like Denbigh who was bad when the cycle was made. Salem I agree with you on strength.

Reactions: 1Gensfan
I still like Monacans chances, but as @mbonape1 stated the Chiefs need to finish. In my opinion Monacan has always struggled with an identity. Example: like it or not Bird is known for power football and alleged holding. Monacan is all over the place. Just pick a direction and execute. The kids seem confused and make mistakes. You can be too smart you know.

We knew Dinwiddie lost a lot and are super young. The Hopewell loss was not an upset both teams are sound. I was suprised Hopewell shut them out, but with a busted reverse direction play Dinwiddie shut Hopewell out too. Dinwiddie is not a state champ caliber team, but they will be a tough out. If they happen to play Monacan in round 2 you may see Dinwiddie beat the Chiefs. Dont think they beat Louisa (bad matchup) and EV is a good scheme matchup, EV is just better. The opposite is true for Monacan. They can beat Louisa and EV if they play up to their potential.

Last edited:
I still like Monacans chances, but as @mbonape1 stated the Chiefs need to finish. In my opinion Monacan has always struggled with an identity. Example: like it or not Bird is known for power football and alleged holding. Monacan is all over the place. Just pick a direction and execute. The kids seemed confused and mske mistakes. You can be too smart you know.
I agree with you @LancerDad. I was worried about Monacan losing Fludd but Snyder has definitely stepped up and done a great job. I am a firm believer in ANY team can lose to ANYONE on any given night being as these are still high school kids. You wont see me here hyping my generals or being extra. I dont know what happened to Hopewell against Dale, but they came to win Thursday. Defense was lights out, Period. At this point in the season mistakes and penalties should be few to none and cant turn the ball over 5 times. I wish the best of luck to all teams.

Reactions: mbonape1
What’s not fair? It was a tight race points wise before this weeks losses so it’s not like EV schedule was that much different. Culpeper (3 going to 4) and Orange (5 at the time) are two neighboring rival schools they have to play. TA was 6-5 b2b years and Bville was 10-3 and lost in the semis I believe the year the schedule was made. A 10 win class 3 isn’t much different points wise than a 0-10 clas 5 like Denbigh who was bad when the cycle was made. Salem I agree with you on strength.
What I said isn't fair is that they were tied. All undefeated but Dinwiddie has higher seed due to sos and I'm sure the fact that Louisa playing powhatan who only played 9 games were the tie breaker. I get what you're saying about a 10 win 3a is the same as a 0 win 4 or 5. If EV or Louisa had played more 5 or even 6As in a tie breaker it makes a difference. Your Cyclones are GOOD, no disrespect to your team

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT