ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4B VHSL Standings - Week 8

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
VHSL released their ratings this morning...

#1 Eastern View 28.5
#2 Monacan 28.4
#3 Louisa 28.2
#4 Dinwiddie 28.0
#5 Midlothian 24.5
#6 Courtland 24.4
#7 Huguenot 22.1
#8 Powhatan 20.6

Odd man out is currently Chancellor, 20.1 rating.

If playoffs began this weekend...
#8 Powhatan at #1 Eastern View
#7 Huguenot at #2 Monacan(would be 2nd meeting this season)
#6 Courtland at #3 Louisa
#5 Midlothian at #4 Dinwiddie

So who do you like to represent Region 4B this year? Still 3 weeks to go but Eastern View, Monacan, Dinwiddie or does Louisa win the region again? Or does one of the bottom 4 go on a run and surprise us all?

If Dinwiddie wins out I think they end up first. Hopewell's wins put Dinwiddie over the top. A win by Monacan over Bird leaves them in 2nd place (assuming wins over Midlo and Huguenot).
EV still has a bye week coming which will allow everyone else to catch up and probably leap frog.
Louisa (again assuming they win out) ends up 3rd over EV. Courtland being 2nd in Battlefield is huge for Louisa but doesn't matter for EV (they get the points for Courtland district games weather they win or lose). Orange being way down in the Jefferson hurts EV but is fine for Louisa because they get the points from the JD teams that beat Orange.

If I'm way off here, please someone tell me.

Reactions: OCBoy and 1Gensfan
To answer the question...I like EV's chances. Hatfield has a well-oiled machine and I think it is there time. I got the chance to be on the sideline against EV & Louisa last year and am convinced that EV would have won that match up by a score or two. I think Louisa is down from last year and EV didn't lose much, might be better. EV probably should have beaten Dinwiddie last year...I honestly thought they would make it to the finals against Salem and perhaps give them a game. Not sure where Dinwiddie or Monacan are compared to last year though. With what I know I would say EV has a pretty good chance and Louisa does not.

Reactions: OCBoy and 1Gensfan
To answer the question...I like EV's chances. Hatfield has a well-oiled machine and I think it is there time. I got the chance to be on the sideline against EV & Louisa last year and am convinced that EV would have won that match up by a score or two. I think Louisa is down from last year and EV didn't lose much, might be better. EV probably should have beaten Dinwiddie last year...I honestly thought they would make it to the finals against Salem and perhaps give them a game. Not sure where Dinwiddie or Monacan are compared to last year though. With what I know I would say EV has a pretty good chance and Louisa does not.
I have not seen EV or Louisa this year so I cant say who I think has the best chance. Dinwiddies offence is on the same level as last year, IMO. We lost alot to graduation, only 2 defensive starters returned I believe. I dont believe the defence is the same as last year, but they are looking better every game. Best of luck to all teams

I have not seen EV or Louisa this year so I cant say who I think has the best chance. Dinwiddies offence is on the same level as last year, IMO. We lost alot to graduation, only 2 defensive starters returned I believe. I dont believe the defence is the same as last year, but they are looking better every game. Best of luck to all teams

Hoping Eastern View and Dinwiddie go at it again. Was a war last year at Dinwiddie. Hopefully it can be at Eastern View this year.

Reactions: 1Gensfan

How is it there time? No offense but they haven't played anyone, to me they are the UCF of Va. high school ball, with the likes of TA and the other cupcakes on the schedule, how can you say they are ready? They are doing what they are suppose to do, nothing more. They have beat 1 team with a winning record, (Courtland) and they may finish .500. Has EV played 4 qtrs. yet? Think EV will be in shape if they have to play a full game? They battles tested for playoff football? I don't think so, I get the whole winning is believing and believing is winning thing, but not here in D4 sir.

How is it there time? No offense but they haven't played anyone, to me they are the UCF of Va. high school ball, with the likes of TA and the other cupcakes on the schedule, how can you say they are ready? They are doing what they are suppose to do, nothing more. They have beat 1 team with a winning record, (Courtland) and they may finish .500. Has EV played 4 qtrs. yet? Think EV will be in shape if they have to play a full game? They battles tested for playoff football? I don't think so, I get the whole winning is believing and believing is winning thing, but not here in D4 sir.
1. Courtland will likely be 8-2.
2. Please keep it positive. You flat out insulted no fewer than 3 teams made up of teen-agers. As the VHSL sportsmanship policy states, "please cheer for your team and not against the opposing team".

Reactions: VAHSFB2000
You are uninformed dude. So putting up 37 against Dinwiddie on their home field last year was a fluke I guess. Serbay from JM last year said EV was one of the best teams he had seen (I know it killed him to say that)....but I guess he doesn’t know much either.

1. Courtland will likely be 8-2.
2. Please keep it positive. You flat out insulted no fewer than 3 teams made up of teen-agers. As the VHSL sportsmanship policy states, "please cheer for your team and not against the opposing team".

How is that insulting? It is truthful, this isn't everyone gets a trophy here, I'm sorry if I offended you or your team.

You are uninformed dude. So putting up 37 against Dinwiddie on their home field last year was a fluke I guess. Serbay from JM last year said EV was one of the best teams he had seen (I know it killed him to say that)....but I guess he doesn’t know much either.

Don't get mad at me sir once I laid out the facts. They be a well oiled machine, just not in the playoffs

Reactions: LancerDad
How is that insulting? It is truthful, this isn't everyone gets a trophy here, I'm sorry if I offended you or your team.

Calling T-A a cupcake is insulting, not truthful.
Saying Courtland may finish .500 is not giving them nearly enough credit. They are currently 5-2.
Questioning EV's stamina because their starters don't play a full game insults their coaches' and players work ethic. You don't get your wind playing Friday nights, you get it from hard work during the week.
I appreciate what you were trying to say:
Fact: EV has beaten teams with losing records. (you said this and could have stopped there.)

Fact: They have yet to face adversity and we don't know how they will react to that. (again you said this and could have stopped there)

Fact: They faced these same issues last year and lost their first close game of the season to Dinwiddie.

Fact: Many of this year's players were in that game. Will they use it to overcome this year or will it be their legacy?

Can't speak to other games, but they had their starters playing against KG in game 10 last year late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarter. Coach Hatfield has a fantastic conditioning program, they will not be tired. If anything, they will be rested and healthy. As a coach I would love for my team to "do what they are supposed to do" and be healthy for the playoffs. I don't think the lack of "battle testing" is going to hurt them. I think that is overrated. They are getting the best of every team they faced for a quarter or two and they have met the challenge, each and every time. KG will do the same thing in two weeks, we'll see what happens.

Saying Courtland may finish .500 is not giving them nearly enough credit. They are currently 5-2.
Questioning EV's stamina because their starters don't play a full game insults their coaches' and players work ethic. You don't get your wind playing Friday nights, you get it from hard work during the week.
Fact: EV has beaten teams with losing records. (you said this and could have stopped there.)

Fact: They have yet to face adversity and we don't know how they will react to that. (again you said this and could have stopped there)

Fact: They faced these same issues last year and lost their first close game of the season to Dinwiddie.

Fact: Many of this year's players were in that game. Will they use it to overcome this year or will it be their legacy?

Fact: T-A is 2-6 currently and finished 2-8 last year

Saying Courtland "may" finish .500 is my opinion and could be an accomplishment

Fact: I'm not insulting anyone, just stating facts, if the truth hurts, then so be it

Fact: EV was close in the playoff game they played last year

Did they win? Fact: No

Can't speak to other games, but they had their starters playing against KG in game 10 last year late in the 3rd and into the 4th quarter. Coach Hatfield has a fantastic conditioning program, they will not be tired. If anything, they will be rested and healthy. As a coach I would love for my team to "do what they are supposed to do" and be healthy for the playoffs. I don't think the lack of "battle testing" is going to hurt them. I think that is overrated. They are getting the best of every team they faced for a quarter or two and they have met the challenge, each and every time. KG will do the same thing in two weeks, we'll see what happens.

Respect your opinion sir

@VAHSFootballFan you just helped prove the Rev's case. I look at this way. If you don't want to be critiqued for having a bad schedule then don't play one. Do you know why EV plays the weak schedule they play when they have tons of quality teams in their own backyard? Let me tell you. They get 20 points for playing a class 3 team, plus 2 bonus points for playing down (22 points same as a class 4). All they have to do is hope the class 3 team gets wins. Its actually kind of a smart move if it works, but it looks and smells like sissification (is that a word). Please don't try and tell me class 4 teams or bigger will not schedule EV. I read last month that Dinwiddie is coming into their yard and playing two top Class 5 teams (Massopponnax and North Stafford). EV may win Region B and even state for all I know, but when I look at their schedule I see an attempt to manipulate the point system instead of preparing for battle. They surely will be well rested and healthy. lol

@VAHSFootballFan you just helped prove the Rev's case. I look at this way. If you don't want to be critiqued for having a bad schedule then don't play one. Do you know why EV plays the weak schedule they play when they have tons of quality teams in their own backyard? Let me tell you. They get 20 points for playing a class 3 team, plus 2 bonus points for playing down (22 points same as a class 4). All they have to do is hope the class 3 team gets wins. Its actually kind of a smart move if it works, but it looks and smells like sissification (is that a word). Please don't try and tell me class 4 teams or bigger will not schedule EV. I read last month that Dinwiddie is coming into their yard and playing two top Class 5 teams (Massopponnax and North Stafford). EV may win Region B and even state for all I know, but when I look at their schedule I see an attempt to manipulate the point system instead of preparing for battle. They surely will be well rested and healthy. lol
KG has taken the "battle tested" approach the last two years with Tuscarora, Brooke Point, Louisa, and Stafford OOD. All that has gotten us is beat up and on the outside looking in at the end of the season. That's the reason we're dropping Tuscarora, Brooke Point and Louisa for the next two year cycle.

That's a nice tale you weave there, but when you said "Let me tell you".... you lost me. You do not know. You have no idea who they tried to get on their schedule and who said no thanks or wouldn't commit at the time...and if you have any guts you will admit that and say you're just speculating in your theory.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
I guess we will discuss in a couple of weeks, perhaps in much more detail at that time
To be honest, I hope EV gets to play either Monacan or Louisa. I saw the Dinwiddie game last year, and it was a great game. I like seeing different teams play each other that do not normally play each other.

Reactions: Bigdog0914
I agree with OC. Coach Hatfield will have them ready for 4 quarters. If they win or lose it won’t be because of conditioning. Come see a practice and see for yourself.

EVs offensive and defensive front is as good if not better than last year. And that’s after losing an all region DT this year due to transfer.

Their QB is as smart of a football player as they come. When he scrambles he will kill you with his feet or arm.

Not sure who will come out of 4B but it going to be a war.

That's a nice tale you weave there, but when you said "Let me tell you".... you lost me. You do not know. You have no idea who they tried to get on their schedule and who said no thanks or wouldn't commit at the time...and if you have any guts you will admit that and say you're just speculating in your theory.

Just finished with practice and a lengthty film session. Monacan is going to be a challenge on Friday. We comin for ya @mbonape1. Now @86CulpGrad I have plenty of guts, onions and testicular fortitude, but what in the heck does that have to do with EV and their schedule? I dont need to know who has or has not turned them down. Its obvious their technique. Lets see whose on the schedule for the next cycle. Bet it aint much of an upgrade. I said it was a great strategy if it pays off. If everybody wins out looks like they will finish 4th again. Havent lost a game in two years and they may finish 4th twice in a row. This year a one loss Monacan is still going to finish ahead. Honestly, Culpgrad Do you and EV like playing on the road or what? If im the coach im asking my AD a ton of questions if they play the same odds again. Lets be real EV is consistently a solid team that offers class five teams 24 points plus 16-18 bonus points if you win. Who wouldnt want to play them. No knock on the team (EV) they ball. im crushing the schedular.

Last edited:
After reading this thread I was curious why EV would schedule these teams myself so I went to the VHSL reference page....In 2016 when these schedules were made Brentsville was 10-3 and upset JM that year, TA and Orange were both 6-5 playoff teams...Now thats no excuse for not scheduling a Riverbend, Colonial Forge, Stafford, or North Stafford but it shows they thought they were scheduling competitive teams. Although its fun to read these threads and "opinions" the real fun starts in 3 weeks when all these teams get the chance to prove themselves. Region A looks fun!, Region B looks like it will be as good as last year!! Region C is more competitve this year! And Region D will be a Dog Fight!! Good luck to all these teams!! Cant wait for playoffs!!!

After reading this thread I was curious why EV would schedule these teams myself so I went to the VHSL reference page....In 2016 when these schedules were made Brentsville was 10-3 and upset JM that year, TA and Orange were both 6-5 playoff teams...Now thats no excuse for not scheduling a Riverbend, Colonial Forge, Stafford, or North Stafford but it shows they thought they were scheduling competitive teams. Although its fun to read these threads and "opinions" the real fun starts in 3 weeks when all these teams get the chance to prove themselves. Region A looks fun!, Region B looks like it will be as good as last year!! Region C is more competitve this year! And Region D will be a Dog Fight!! Good luck to all these teams!! Cant wait for playoffs!!!

You get it sir. Again I understand the reasoning and based on performance it looked like a safe bet. Oops! My question was why the gamble? Look at EV's district schedule. No bonus points 3's and 4's only. If you want to match points with Monacan, Dinwiddie and the other RVA schools you have to play up. Ultimately, EV may win it all. They are a good team with plenty of fire power. Rev's original post talked about playoff losses. Maybe a home game would help.

Last edited:
Just finished with practice and a lengthty film session. Monacan is going to be a challenge on Friday. We comin for ya @mbonape1. Now @86CulpGrad I have plenty of guts, onions and testicular fortitude, but what in the heck does that have to do with EV and their schedule? I dont need to know who has or has not turned them down. Its obvious their technique. Lets see whose on the schedule for the next cycle. Bet it aint much of an upgrade. I said it was a great strategy if it pays off. If everybody wins out looks like they will finish 4th again. Havent lost a game in two years and they may finish 4th twice in a row. This year a one loss Monacan is still going to finish ahead. Honestly, Culpgrad Do you and EV like playing on the road or what? If im the coach im asking my AD a ton of questions if they play the same odds again. Lets be real EV is consistently a solid team that offers class five teams 24 points plus 16-18 bonus points if you win. Who wouldnt want to play them. No knock on the team (EV) they ball. im crushing the schedular.
All I'm saying is that you do not have any insight as to why teams were or were not scheduled. Again....let's say you try to schedule a really good 4A team that is ood...and they say no or, can't do it yet. You can't wait forever on someone to get on the pot. The cycle before this current one, EV had Sherando and Chancellor as part of their OOD schedule....pretty solid.

@86CulpGrad, I get it. You are correct I don't know the barriers they faced regarding scheduling. If you know please enlighten us. Why would two schools in your own backyard schedule a team they have to travel 1 hour and 50 minutes to play in Dinwiddie who ironically has the same record EV does in the past two years or three years (same points). Again not throwing shade on EV's team. I actually feel bad for the kids who work hard, win all the games they play and still cant play at home. This group of seniors has been cheated out of playing in front of the home crowd for three years. If you guys are happy with having an undefeated season and still having to travel so be it. Lets look at something right off the top. Base points provided everybody goes undefeated. EV is already 18 points down to Monacan from jump street. In order for Louisa, Dinwiddie and EV to get a top 2 seed they not only have to win they have a sound schedule. Thats all I am saying. Proof is in the pudding. Again you guys ought to quit making excuses for your athletic director and ask why.

Monacans 2018 base points = 240 District base = 196
Louisa 2018 base points=224 District base = 158
Dinwiddie 2018 base points =230 District Base = 164
EV's 2018 base points 2018 =222 District base = 154

Last edited:
All I'm saying is that you do not have any insight as to why teams were or were not scheduled. Again....let's say you try to schedule a really good 4A team that is ood...and they say no or, can't do it yet. You can't wait forever on someone to get on the pot. The cycle before this current one, EV had Sherando and Chancellor as part of their OOD schedule....pretty solid.
The Sherando folks said that EV dropped them from the schedule. Sherando wanted to continue to play them

EV's 2018 base points 2018 =222 District base = 154[/QUOTE]

I get the following:
Monacan- 2018 base points = 238 District base = 166
Louisa- 2018 base points=218 District base = 152
Dinwiddie- 2018 base points =224 District Base = 158
EV- 2018 base points 2018 =212 District base = 128

I would love to break this down further but want to make sure we are on the same page.

As a Charlottesville kid, personally I would love to see us schedule Culpeper and Eastern View more often. In the basketball world, we usually try to schedule teams up 29 but Madison won't do it and we used to play William Monroe all the time but they stopped too. We played WM in football two years ago and they haven't wanted us since. The only Culpeper-Charlottesville area battles anymore are Albemarle and Culpeper will now by playing in basketball OOD for the third straight year. That's a shame, there's some bad blood between the two areas and I think there could be some classics. EV played Charlottesville in football like five years ago and kicked our tails, but I wished that we could have played them two years ago when we were good instead of William Monroe.

EV earned my respect after their battle with Dinwiddie last year, but I do stand to say that at least in football, for the next cycle EV can keep a losing record team but try and add at least two quality competitions, I would personally try an OOD of something like North Stafford, Turner Ashby and Sherando. Heck, Spotswood is in the top 10 in Class 3 right now and they're just over the mountains in the valley. Give them a shot. Then worst case scenario EV goes 8-2 and probably still gets the #4 spot in 4B.

Reactions: 1Gensfan

We are on EV's schedule for next cycle(2019-20). They will replace Powhatan as they move to the Dominion. Not sure if contracts were signed but I know our AD said they came to a verbal agreement last October when we were in the midst of our 2nd straight playoff appearance and 7 win season. Being 0-8 this season and losing some very good seniors, it's yet to be determined what type of team we will have when we face them next year.

Scheduling can be tough to judge but they are an hour from most Loudoun schools a same distance to most Stafford/Fredericksburg schools so I understand people questioning their schedule strength.

We've got EC Glass, James Monroe, Harrisonburg and Eastern View OOD for the next cycle as we move down to 3A for anyone wondering. Sherry and Hatfield are good friends and I have ton of respect for him and his program. Looking forward to facing them. Regardless of their schedule or record, those boys can play football. I think they were better last year but everyone in 4B was better last year IMO so they've got as good a shot as the other 3 powers do.

EV's 2018 base points 2018 =222 District base = 154

I get the following:
Monacan- 2018 base points = 238 District base = 166
Louisa- 2018 base points=218 District base = 152
Dinwiddie- 2018 base points =224 District Base = 158
EV- 2018 base points 2018 =212 District base = 128

I would love to break this down further but want to make sure we are on the same page.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if we are on the same page, but I will give you my formula for Monacan . I hope this makes sense. .
District Base Points
Clover Hill (6) =26
Manchester (6) =26
James River (6)= 26
Cosby (6) =26
Bird (5) =24
Midlothian (4) = 22
Huguenot (4) =22
George Wythe(3) =20+2=22
Total: 194

OOD Base Points
Hanover (4) = 22