ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4C Championship - Sherando (10-1) at Woodgrove (8-2)

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
Semifinal Results
Woodgrove 28, Loudoun County 21
Woodgrove defeated Loudoun County 28-21 in a hard fought game hosted by the Wolverines on Saturday. After going down 22-0, the Raiders made a comeback, getting it to 22-14 and then 28-21, but the Wolverine defense managed to shut down County's passing attack and advance to the region final.

Woodgrove is undefeated against Class 4 competition this year, with their two losses coming to Broad Run and Massaponax, both of whom are representing their regions in the Class 5 championships next weekend. Winners of seven straight games, Woodgrove will look to knock off the defending champion Warriors at home next Friday night.

Sherando 16, Kettle Run 14
Kettle Run forced Sherando to play Cougar-style football for the first half of the game, sticking to their tactic of managing the clock well through the use of long drives designed to wear down the Sherando defense. The Cougars managed to pin Sherando against their own end zone twice via a pair of excellent punts.

Sherando led 9-0 at the half at Shentel Stadium (thank you to Shenandoah University), and extended the lead to 16-0 in the third quarter despite playing much of the game without star RB T.J. Washington and losing star QB Hunter Entsminger to a leg injury. Washington re-entered the game, but Entsminger did not.

The Cougars brought the game back to 16-8 and then scored again to make it 16-14. They very nearly converted another 2-point conversion to tie the game, but the runner fell just short of the end zone. Sherando managed to run out the clock and get off the field with a hard-earned victory.

- 4C Championship -
Sherando (10-1) at Woodgrove (8-2)
Both Sherando and Woodgrove are coming off hard-fought games in which they had to defeat a team that had lost to no one else but them over the course of the season. Kettle Run and Loudoun County both ended their seasons with two losses, coming to the Warriors and Wolverines respectively. That is no easy feat.

The coming championship will be a much different kind of game, given that there's only one common opponent between the two teams (Loudoun Valley; Sherando won 56-14 and Woodgrove won 35-10). Both teams have felt the sting of defeat against fantastic opponents, and both have needed to grind out victories to advance in the playoffs.

Woodgrove has not given up many points to their Dulles opponents this year. Going by their schedule, they don't put up fantastically high point totals, but have scored as much as they've needed to in order to win (including an impressive victory over 5A Tuscarora 42-28), and have managed to contain strong offenses throughout the year.

Sherando is harder to predict this week. If QB Entsminger doesn't play, the Sherando playbook shrinks. Backup quarterback Chacai Campbell has gotten to play a fair amount this year and I have confidence in him, but it's hard to replace a QB that has been a starter for three years and is one of the best players in the state at his position.

The Warriors had a lot of success running a jumbo package involving Doleman and Bauer, and I hope to see more of that against Woodgrove next weekend, especially if Entsminger is unable to play. I have no doubt that Sherando's coaching staff will have the Warriors ready.

This one is hard to predict given the unknowns around Sherando and the lack of many common opponents over the year.

Going with my heart here:
Sherando 28, Woodgrove 27

Last edited:
The same can be said of Woodgrove - the best team the Warriors have played since Martinsburg.

Come now, Rev Junior, you know the only team that matters is Sherando! As Hammy, I’m sorry, Small Fry will tell you, whether good or bad, Sherando is the only team that has a say in this game! Woodgrove is just along for the ride. Or something like that.

In all seriousness, this should be a great game. If the game wasn’t so early, I would go. I’ll certainly be following the radio broadcast.

Also, I have a feeling the no-news about Entsminger means he’s not playing. That’s a shame, because he is a great athlete and quarterback.

Reactions: VolNation85
Looking forward to checking out the Woodgrove concessions.

Woodgrove has a lot to live up to. Last season I was spoiled by Salem's soft pretzels around this time, so I have high expectations.

As for Entsminger, Coach Hall said on the radio today that it'd be a game-time decision. After watching some film I found I have a lot of confidence in Campbell if it comes down to it. Very glad he got to play a full game against Fauquier. I know Fauquier and Woodgrove aren't in the same league but the game reps are hard to replicate in practice.

Sherando will be the underdog regardless. Woodgrove does some stuff that has given us fits in the past. Given how well they shut down Loudoun County's passing game, I expect they'll limit Sherando pretty well on offense. The Warriors defense has to step up. I know Kettle Run only scored 14 but they had at least three dropped passes that could've been taken all the way had the receivers been able to hold onto Chumley's well-thrown footballs. Would've been a different game had they made one of those receptions.

Last edited:
Salem stadium is awesome, short walk for great concessions and warm bathrooms.

Woodgrove has the advantage to me - the one thing Sherando has struggled with is a team that can pass and catch - Liberty and Kettle Run had guys wide open and dropping passes.
Woodgrove must force Sherando to have long drives - they are explosive - take away big plays they struggle to score.

Nothing to do with Entsminger playing or not playing. Not my place to say on here. but even if he is not playing , in light of some other news put all your money and your house on Woodgrove in this game. I am not even going , so aggravated I am going hunting instead.

There is no way I am betting Woodgrove.

Entsminger or no Entsminger..good defense or bad defense..if Woodgrove cannot stop the explosive miss direction and trap plays with Washington running the ball, the wolverines are in trouble. The Warriors are blazing fast off tackle. Kettle Run had a lot of shoestring tackles that kept them in the game. I could remember at least 3 plays that the Warriors were tripped up by our Safety or Corners before taking it to the house.

If Woodgrove does not tackle well one on one or open field, the Warriors can put up points fast.

Man I don’t get you, 21. All year you’ve talked about how KR barely made plays or how the offense looks or how they’re not as explosive. You’re right- KR didn’t have explosive athletes. Aside from that, the plays were made. The points were scored. The games were won (minus Sherando). Who cares how it looks? Stop drinking the Sherando kool-aid. The sign of a good team is the ability to bend but not break and to rally after giving up a play.

My money is certainly on Woodgrove. It was before the news by Smallfry (which my guess would be grades or an impact player doing something foolish which would cause the decision to play out of Hall’s hands. That’s a shame, but these ARE high school kids). Sherando is beat up, and KR was right there if not for those drops. Woodgrove has already been in many big games, so my guess is they won’t shrink. If they limit the big plays as Rev2 said, Sherando is not the juggernaut many think. Really good still for sure, but it’s not like they’re the LA Rams out there.

I dont think anything has happened - I think Fry is just be dramatic. He doesn't think Sherando will lose, just like some of us think Woodgrove is better.

First time on preps in forever, but looking forward to listening to this one if I can get it online anywhere.

Surprised to hear so much doubt in Sherando on here particularly form those who I remember being Stephens City diehards. Though if the QB is out I guess some of that is understandable.

Located out of state now, but have reason for rooting interest in Woodgrove.

Anyone know of an online radio option that may be covering it? I know coaches corner isn't doing it anymore now that the playoffs have started.

I think Sherando will be fine if they can survive the first qua
Man I don’t get you, 21. All year you’ve talked about how KR barely made plays or how the offense looks or how they’re not as explosive. You’re right- KR didn’t have explosive athletes. Aside from that, the plays were made. The points were scored. The games were won (minus Sherando). Who cares how it looks? Stop drinking the Sherando kool-aid. The sign of a good team is the ability to bend but not break and to rally after giving up a play.

My money is certainly on Woodgrove. It was before the news by Smallfry (which my guess would be grades or an impact player doing something foolish which would cause the decision to play out of Hall’s hands. That’s a shame, but these ARE high school kids). Sherando is beat up, and KR was right there if not for those drops. Woodgrove has already been in many big games, so my guess is they won’t shrink. If they limit the big plays as Rev2 said, Sherando is not the juggernaut many think. Really good still for sure, but it’s not like they’re the LA Rams out there.
Sherando is not beat up, they have one player injured . Wow you are really speculating . You can take top five players off of Sherando , and Woodgrove will still have a challenge beating Sherando.

First time on preps in forever, but looking forward to listening to this one if I can get it online anywhere.

Surprised to hear so much doubt in Sherando on here particularly form those who I remember being Stephens City diehards. Though if the QB is out I guess some of that is understandable.

Located out of state now, but have reason for rooting interest in Woodgrove.

Anyone know of an online radio option that may be covering it? I know coaches corner isn't doing it anymore now that the playoffs have started.
You should be able to listen to it here: https://foxsports1550.iheart.com/

Reactions: Unc1ejimmy
I think Sherando will be fine if they can survive the first qua

Sherando is not beat up, they have one player injured . Wow you are really speculating . You can take top five players off of Sherando , and Woodgrove will still have a challenge beating Sherando.

I mean, I’m really not, though. I never said they would be missing people, but they are certainly banged up. 33 got at least temporarily hurt last week (he came back. Really tough kid, and probably the best defensive player on the field ), same for 22 (he didn’t play corner the second half- though I think they’re better off without him at corner. 2 and 3 are really good), and then there’s Entsminger. They’re banged up, even if they do play.

And of course Woodgrove will have a tough time. Sherando is a really, really good team. No one is just going to walk over them. I mean them no disrespect

[QUOTE="Sherando is not beat up, they have one player injured . Wow you are really speculating . You can take top five players off of Sherando , and Woodgrove will still have a challenge beating Sherando.[/QUOTE]

Wow - your saying that Sherando is that much better - thats a bit of a stretch. Your saying Sherando is so good 5 backups are better than Woodgrove starters.
Id have to disagree - without Washington, Entsminger, Doleman. Mazza - they would not be nearly as good.

I’ve not heard anything confirmed about Entsminger yet. Regardless of his status, injuries are part of the game. Unfortunately, Entsminger’s injuries are a result of Sherando’s inability to successfully counter the oppositions blitzes.

Until Coach Hall implements a good plan of protecting any QB in his current system, it won’t matter who’s behind center. When teams get this far in the post season it comes down coaching, execution, discipline and heart. Find a teams weakness and exploit it, expect Woodgrove to bring pressure early and often.

If Sherando fails to run the ball effectively and is forced to pass more; they will lose the game.

I mean, I’m really not, though. I never said they would be missing people, but they are certainly banged up. 33 got at least temporarily hurt last week (he came back. Really tough kid, and probably the best defensive player on the field ), same for 22 (he didn’t play corner the second half- though I think they’re better off without him at corner. 2 and 3 are really good), and then there’s Entsminger. They’re banged up, even if they do play.

And of course Woodgrove will have a tough time. Sherando is a really, really good team. No one is just going to walk over them. I mean them no disrespect
Not important, but I think #33's name is a perfect fit... Payne lol

Reactions: GoKRCougs
So I have to say, this has been such a challenging game for me to predict. Before last week, I would've said Woodgrove would win by a TD. However, after seeing Loudoun County nearly steal the win from Woodgrove and KR nearly steal the win from Sherando, I have no clue on who I think will win. I want to believe the hype of Woodgrove but the previous game has me asking questions, and I know people are writing out Sherando but I think back to the Sherando vs. Martinsburg game. Sherando fell behind early and nearly stole that game from Martinsburg. I think this game could go either way and it will be under a 7 point difference.

Sherando, Woodgrove battle for Region 4C title

Members of the Sherando High School football team practiced inside Arrowhead Stadium on Thanksgiving morning. The Warriors take on Woodgrove High School in Purcellville for the Region 4C football championship today at 2 p.m.

• Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

Sherando’s JoJo Doleman (left) sacks Kettle Run quarterback Gabriel Chumley last week at Shenandoah University. Doleman and the Warriors will try to put a stop to Woodgrove’s seven-game winning streak in today’s Region 4C championship game at 2 p.m. in Purcellville.

• Jeff Taylor/The Winchester Star

WINCHESTER — The Kettle Run football team gave Sherando’s defense everything it could handle in the second half of last week’s Region 4C semifinal game at Shenandoah University’s Shentel Stadium.

On their only two second-half possessions, the Cougars had a 15-play, 87-yard touchdown drive followed by a two-point conversion, and a 10-play, 75-yard touchdown drive that ended with 2:41 left in the game to cut the Warriors’ lead to 16-14.

But on the game’s most important defensive play — a two-point conversion run that could have tied the game — Sherando tackled Kettle Run short of the goal line to allow it to hold on for the win by that 16-14 score.

Today at 2 p.m., the second-seeded Warriors (10-1) will take on an offense that looks to be even more formidable when they travel to Purcellville to take on No. 1 Woodgrove (8-2) on artificial turf in the Region 4C title game.

In order to repeat as region champions, a Sherando team that could be without its starting quarterback in Hunter Entsminger will need to play more like the defense that made that two-point stop and held Kettle Run to 1 of 5 third-down conversions and 61 yards in the first half and not the one that permitted the Cougars to convert all five of their third-down plays in the second half.

“I thought our defense played well,” said Sherando head coach Bill Hall after Monday’s practice at SU, the first of three straight practices on artificial turf the Warriors held in advance of today’s game. “It’s just in critical-down situations, you’ve got to make those plays and get off the field. It’s about being consistent.”

Entsminger’s playing status for today was not specified this week. The Class 4 Northwestern District Player of the Year, who has completed 100 of 148 passes for 1,857 yards, 18 touchdowns, and three interceptions, left the Kettle Run game for good after being sacked with 8:19 left in the third quarter and the Warriors up 9-0.

As for Sherando’s defense, the Warriors have been remarkably consistent.

The Warriors gave up 50 points to Martinsburg (W.Va.) in their one loss, but the only time they surrendered more than 14 points in any of their wins came against Liberty on Sept. 21, when the Eagles scored a touchdown with 13 seconds left in a 55-21 game. Overall, Sherando is giving up only 13.7 points and 234.5 yards per game (138.4 rushing).

The Wolverines are hard a team to get off the field, though.

Woodgrove is averaging 363.3 yards per game (229.2 rushing), and the Wolverines have possessed the ball for 7.5 minutes longer per game on average than their opponents. The Wolverines are coming off a 28-21 win over Loudoun County in which they rolled up 471 yards and possessed the ball for 37 minutes and 25 seconds out of a possible 48 minutes (Hall said the Raiders only had two designed running plays).

“They’ll run a lot of spread formations, but they’re a power run-game [offense],” Hall said. “If they throw it 10 of 15 times, that will probably be a lot. They want to run the ball.”

Woodgrove is averaging 34.9 points per game in its current seven-game winning streak, which started with a 42-28 win over Class 5 Tuscarora. The Huskies went 8-4 this year, losing in the Region 5C semifinals last week to Broad Run.

Broad Run and Massaponax, which is playing for a Region 5D championship tonight, are responsible for both of Woodgrove’s losses. The Wolverines only played nine regular-season games. They elected not to take a forfeit win over Park View, which did not field a varsity team this year.

The Wolverines offense is led by senior quarterback Graham Walker, the Dulles District Player of the Year. The transfer from Class 6 Battlefield is a dual threat who has completed 95 of 159 passes for 1,258 yards, 14 touchdowns, and three interceptions and rushed for 840 yards and 11 touchdowns on 4.4 yards per carry.

The 6-foot, 200-pound Walker ran the ball a remarkable 38 times for 168 yards and two touchdowns against Loudoun County and completed 14 of 20 passes for 153 yards and one TD.

“They don’t have any problem running him as much as they need to,” Hall said. “He’s a tough kid, physical kid, emotional kid. I think in critical situations, they want the ball in his hands. He can throw the ball, too. They like to stay on schedule on offense, but they’re going to take some shots [downfield].

“[Defending someone who can run like Walker can], I think it’s just assignment football, making sure your fits are right and you’re executing your defensive game plan. I don’t think there’s one specific thing. Obviously, you’re going to have to wrap up and tackle him, gang tackle him. It’s more about everybody doing their job. When everybody does their job, the unit works.”

Walker has plenty of talent around him as well.

Woodgrove features two first-team all-district running backs in 5-10, 200-pound junior KJ Lewis (989 yards, 5.8 average, 12 TDs; 29 carries for 142 yards and 1 TD vs. Loudoun County) and 6-3, 220-pound freshman Price Williams (308 yards, 6.7 average, 2 TDs).

“[Williams] is more of a jet [sweep] guy,” Hall said. “[Lewis] is more of the downhill runner. They’re both physical.”

Four of Woodgrove’s five offensive linemen earned all-district honors. Senior center Dominick Caputo (6-0, 255) and senior guard Mike Wilson (6-3, 275) made the first team.

“They’re big up front,” Hall said. “They’re all 250 [pounds] to 290.”

Walker’s receiving targets include 6-4, 225-pound first team all-district senior wide receiver Ben Castellano (36 catches, 277 yards, 4 TDs), a verbal commit to the University of Richmond; 6-2, 220-pound first-team all-district senior tight end Cameron Beebe (15 catches, 178 yards, 2 TDs); and senior Nick Lockhart (20 catches, 455 yards, 4 TDs; 6 catches, 107 yards against Loudoun County). The 6-6 Lockhart has committed to pitch for Virginia Tech’s baseball team.

“It’s going to be a dogfight,” Sherando junior free safety and wide receiver Jabril Hayes said. “We just have to make sure we’re competing and executing on all cylinders.”

A Sherando offense averaging 44.8 points and 401.5 yards per game may have to turn to Chacai Campbell at quarterback this week.

A starting safety on defense, the sophomore has played well when called upon at quarterback this year. He went 11 for 13 for 196 yards and three TDs and had rushing TDs of 40 and 6 yards in a 49-6 win over Fauquier.

Against Kettle Run last week, he guided Sherando as it picked up 46 yards on four plays on the TD drive that put it up 16-0, and Campbell had a six-yard read-option run on third-and-6 with 2:22 left that iced the game for the Warriors. Campbell directed a 55-yard drive to the Cougar 27-yard line in his only other possession before penalties pushed Sherando back and it was forced to punt.

“We believe in him with every play we have in our playbook,” Hayes said. “We trust him. He’s a competitor, and he’s a winner.”

Hall expects to see a lot of loose man coverage from Woodgrove, and a lot of people in the box. Hall says the Wolverines run both odd and even fronts. Woodgrove has allowed 11.1 points per game in its winning streak and is allowing 187.4 yards per game (78.5 rushing) in all contests. Woodgrove gave up 266 yards to Loudoun County last week.

Woodgrove’s defense is led by Lockhart, an end who won the Dulles District Defensive Player of the Year award. Lockhart is one of four first-team all-district defensive selections for the Wolverines.

“He’s long and athletic, so he covers a lot of space,” said Hall of Lockhart. “He’s aggressive.”

Sherando’s offense will also be led offensively today by senior running back T.J. Washington (1,264 yards, 7.9 average, 15 TDs; 33 catches, 529 yards, 5 TDs).

Hall expects the play up front will be key on both sides of the ball, because Sherando wants to be able to make plays in space on both offense and defense.

Hall noted turnover margin — the Warriors are at plus-13 (20 takeaways) while Woodgrove is minus-1 (nine takeaways) — and special teams could also be big. Jack Hendren (38-yard field goal last week) forces teams to make returns with kickoffs inside the 5-yard line seemingly every time, and Washington has two return TDs.

Both teams pulled out tight contests last week, and today could feature another thriller.

“It’s the region championship game,” Hall said. “These guys work all year long for an opportunity to earn this. We’re excited to play.”

— Contact Robert Niedzwiecki at

Follow on Twitter @WinStarSports1

Region 4C
1f3c8.png
championship: #Sherando at Woodgrove to start in less than 15 minutes. Warrior QB Hunter Entsminger on crutches

Region 4C
1f3c8.png
championship:

Woodgrove 13, #Sherando 0, 4:05 1st quarter. Walker 31 yard TD run caps 83 yard drive after Woodgrove recovers Chacai Campbell fumble at WG 17

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT