ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4C Results & Looking at the Semifinals

Shruikan

VaPreps Varsity
Nov 2, 2010
Kettle Run 20, Millbrook 14 (2OT)
On a soggy, frigid field in Nokesville, Kettle Run looked to defeat the Millbrook Pioneers in similar fashion to the first meeting between the two teams (44-22 Cougars). Things didn't quite turn out that way, despite the score being the same at halftime (14-14). Instead of comfortably pulling away, both teams slugged it out in the second half, needing two overtime periods to settle the score.

Millbrook has a lot to be proud of, despite not going as far as I know they'd like to have. A 7-4 season isn't bad considering the adversity they had to face throughout the year. The Pioneers lose Savon Smith and Noah Robinson to graduation, but will be back next year with Jordan Jackson, Travis Spain, Gavin Evosirch, and others.

The Cougars get to look forward to a rematch with Sherando, the team responsible for the lone loss in their 10-1 campaign so far.

Loudoun County 34, Riverside 27
Many, myself included, thought that Loudoun County would cruise in this game just as they had in the first game between these two, which the Raiders won 28-0. The Raiders needed to rally from down 14 late, and they managed that and then some. For a moment it looked like this game would also end in overtime, but a 73-yard touchdown pass from Nick Barts to Tariq Sims was enough to put an end to the Rams' season.

Riverside looks to me like a young team that will be losing some of its key starters to graduation. If those younger guys can step up, they can contend again next year. Riverside's first season was in 2015, and the Rams have gone 0-10, 2-8, 4-6, and now 8-3. They are a program on the upswing.

Loudoun County gets another shot at Woodgrove next Friday night.

-- Region 4C Semifinals --
Woodgrove (7-2) vs. Loudoun County (9-1)
Don't be fooled by that 2 in Woodgrove's loss column. They are undefeated against Class 4 competition and the two Class 5 teams they lost two have bulldozed pretty much everyone else they've played (Broad Run has a forfeit and Massaponax lost to Class 6 powerhouse Colonial Forge). Loudoun County's lone loss was to Woodgrove in a game played in harsh conditions. It is yet to be seen if Mother Nature will let this upcoming edition be played on a dry field.

This game will be won in the trenches. Both teams have strong athletes, so whichever team is able to put the most pressure on the opposing team and control the tempo of the game will likely come out of this one with the win.

I think Woodgrove pulls it out, but it's a closer game than last time.

Prediction
Woodgrove 27, Loudoun County 21

Sherando (9-1) vs. Kettle Run (10-1)
The Warriors handed the Cougars their only loss of the season in Nokesville earlier in the season, coming off a loss to West Virginia powerhouse Martinsburg. Needless to say, both of these squads know how to win games.

Despite their style of play being vastly different, with Sherando having one of the most explosive offenses in the state and Kettle Run's dominant line play and methodical control of the clock, these teams are similar in that they're led by deeply experienced players and are coming off painful playoff loses one year ago. Sherando fell to Salem 49-14 in the state semifinals and Kettle Run was denied an appearance in the region final by arch-rival Liberty.

Unfortunately, one of these two teams is going to have a case of deja vu.

I'm going to go with Sherando here. Arrowhead Stadium is going to be rocking and the Warriors have had a week of rest to (hopefully) get healthy while Kettle Run had to endure a 2OT slugfest in harsh conditions.

Prediction
Sherando 31, Kettle Run 14

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT