8. Handley (5-4), 22.33
9. Dominion (3-5), 21.38
10. Heritage (5-4), 20.11
11. James Wood (3-5), 19.13
12. Park View (0-1), 18.00
13. Loudoun Valley (0-7), 16.43
14. Fauquier (0-8), 15.25

Game of the Week: #3 Loudoun County at #1 Woodgrove
Loudoun County gets a chance to prove that they're for real this Friday night at Woodgrove. Their closest game of the year was against Millbrook, which they won by 21 points. Many, including myself, have doubted that the Raiders are quite on the same level as the top teams in Region C. If they're able to knock off Woodgrove, they will have done more than enough to prove that they're a team to beat in the playoffs.

Woodgrove on the other hand has only lost two games this year, both to Class 5 powerhouses in Broad Run and Massaponax. They have demolished their Dulles District competition thus far and have a highly impressive win over Class 5 Tuscarora. They are, in my opinion, the best 2-loss team in Class 4 (including GW Danville and Jefferson Forest), and shouldn't be considered underdogs if they make it to the state semifinals later in the year.

Prediction:
Woodgrove 28, Loudoun County 21

#7 Liberty at #6 Millbrook
The stakes of this game could've been even higher had Liberty won against Kettle Run last weekend, but the Eagles still have a shot at the playoffs even with four losses. To have a chance though they'll need to upset Millbrook this Friday night. Though Millbrook has been hit hard by injuries this season, they should be getting into form around now, so it'll be a tall task for the Eagles to leave Winchester with a W.

The keys to an Eagles victory depend on whether or not they can contain Millbrook's running game and if their receivers can haul in passes, and whether or not they can keep up with Millbrook's array of trick plays. With Millbrook finally getting healthy, that is going to be much easier said than done.

Prediction:
Millbrook 35, Liberty 28

#5 Riverside at #1 Culpeper County (3B)
This is likely to be an underrated contest by many. If Riverside loses to Culpeper County (5-3), they could be on the outside looking in. Though it isn't easy to be ranked #1 in any region, it should be noted that Region 3B is by no means up to Class 3 standards. Manassas Park is ranked 5th out 12 teams in the region. The problem? Manassas Park did not field a team this year.

Prediction:
Riverside 21, Culpeper County 13

#14 Fauquier at #2 Sherando
Part of me wishes this game didn't need to be played. Even if Sherando wins, their points average will decrease due to the Falcons being winless. Normally I'd say this would be a 56-0 type game, but I'm hoping some of the future stars of the Warriors get their time to shine. Sherando is still somewhat banged up from the last few weeks of play and I'm hoping this game passes by without more injuries to either side.

The Falcons have played some decent teams close this year and anything can happen on Thursday night, but I don't see them staying in this one. I could see them getting a couple late scores like they did against James Wood last weekend.

Prediction:
Sherando 56, Fauquier 14

#8 Handley at #11 James Wood
Winchester's oldest rivalry is renewed once again in the 56th edition of Handley vs. James Wood. Both the Judges and the Colonels have improved since 2017 and look to be headed in the right direction under relatively new head coaches. Handley is looking to cap off their first winning season since 2013, and James Wood is seeking to double their number of wins over last year.

I'm unsure if Handley can still make the playoffs at this point. A lot would need to go their way in any case. James Wood cannot make the playoffs, but they have found something on offense over the past few weeks and could surprise the Judges.

Prediction:
Handley 31, James Wood 28

#9 Dominion at #13 Loudoun Valley
The Vikings very nearly pulled the upset off over Riverside last weekend, which would've shaken up the playoff race. They played Loudoun County closer than many expected as well, and had an absolutely brutal first three games of the season (Martinsburg, Stone Bridge, and Sherando). They'll hope to pull out the win over a Dominion team that has shown promise throughout the season, but wasn't quite able to put it all together.

Prediction:
Loudoun Valley 24, Dominion 22

Kettle Run - BYE
Heritage - BYE

James Wood is a good group of players, but Kevin Curry just makes too many plays. I am going with Handley. I agree with Woodgrove 28 Loudoun County 21. I don't think Fauquier scores two touchdowns against Sherando's reserves. Maybe one. Riverside beats Culpeper by at least two touchdowns. Millbrook by 13 over Liberty. I have no idea on Dominion vs. Loudoun Valley.

Reactions: Shruikan
Looks like with the win last night that Riverside has all but locked themselves into the playoffs. Win last night was worth 34 pts, they could move up a lot over the last two weeks in points becuase they can only gain rider bonus points from here on out. Look to gain 10 plus points when they are idle.

Last edited:
Woodgrove 27, County 6 FINAL

ROUGH conditions. Monsoon rain & 39° windchill..

Woodgrove won running the ball. Neither team could pass very well.

At least three County players left game due to injuries.

Electronic down market failed in the 3rd quarter....

I had two concussions as a child but I don't think I ever had one playing middle school youth league football and 4 years of H.S. football.

Thankfully research is really helping Concussion sufferers heal more effectively.

My son plays rugby and two of the three years he has played at least one game per season has lead to somebody getting a pretty severe concussion.
I make my son where a padded "skull" cap and he has never had a concussion to date!

Reactions: BigBWincCity
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT