ADVERTISEMENT

Region 4D Defensive Player of the Year

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
Congratulations to EC Glass Linebacker Thomas "T Patt" Patterson for being voted as the best defensive player in the Region. Anytime a player gets this type of recognition it's a real testament to his skill because this is voted on by the other head coaches of the region. T Patt may not have the "hype" or big time scholarship offers as some of the other names across the state but, the dude is an absolute beast! One of the best LB's in all of Class 4. But don't take my word for it...check out the film.

Also congratulations to Blacksburg's Tyquist Terry for being voted as Region 4D Offensive POY.

Congratulations to EC Glass Linebacker Thomas "T Patt" Patterson for being voted as the best defensive player in the Region. Anytime a player gets this type of recognition it's a real testament to his skill because this is voted on by the other head coaches of the region. T Patt may not have the "hype" or big time scholarship offers as some of the other names across the state but, the dude is an absolute beast! One of the best LB's in all of Class 4. But don't take my word for it...check out the film.

Also congratulations to Blacksburg's Tyquist Terry for being voted as Region 4D Offensive POY.

Well deserved!

First off, I am a big fan of Terry... I started following him his freshman year and I think he is a tremendous player. That being said, he simply shouldn't have been offensive player of the year. In my opinion, Beck should have won it in a landslide. I can think of several other players more deserving, Basham and Ramsey to name a couple.

It is even more strange when you consider the fact that he is isn't a senior. Normally a Junior has to be quite a bit better than the other seniors they are competing against to win something like this but he won it with far less production.

Lol....Don't shoot the messenger. I understand the stats may be significantly better in Beck's favor but, keep in mind the other coaches only vote on the submissions made by the player's head coach.

Beck is a heck of a player and burner. Terry is very deserving, Terry is Mr. Utility. He can catch it, run it, and throw it I'm guessing. I haven't seen him throw it but like Vol said it's based on submission from the head coach, that should let you know all you need to know. I would love to have both of them on my team!

So I just found out that there may have been a tie for O POY between Terry and Frank Ross of Amherst. Not sure how they resolved the tie.
Beck is a heck of a player and burner. Terry is very deserving, Terry is Mr. Utility. He can catch it, run it, and throw it I'm guessing. I haven't seen him throw it but like Vol said it's based on submission from the head coach, that should let you know all you need to know. I would love to have both of them on my team!
I'm glad you get it LOL. It's not like fans or journalists are voting on these awards. It's the guys that are the closest and have the best knowledge of these players abilities and character. Even if every other coach in the region thought it should have been Beck, his own head coach didn't think it should have been him and that's why he wasn't nominated for the honor. I'm sure Beck isn't losing any sleep over it, after all, he's headed to VT on a full scholarship. One more high school honor isn't going to change that LOL

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
So I just found out that there may have been a tie for O POY between Terry and Frank Ross of Amherst. Not sure how they resolved the tie.

I'm glad you get it LOL. It's not like fans or journalists are voting on these awards. It's the guys that are the closest and have the best knowledge of these players abilities and character. Even if every other coach in the region thought it should have been Beck, his own head coach didn't think it should have been him and that's why he wasn't nominated for the honor. I'm sure Beck isn't losing any sleep over it, after all, he's headed to VT on a full scholarship. One more high school honor isn't going to change that LOL

I think they are Co players of the year. Congrats to Ross, crazy both of those guys are juniors.

Ross and Terry are co players of the year. Just so everyone understands the how it works. Each coach ranks the players for each position and can't vote for their own. Ross beat Beck by a slim Margin. Actually, looking at the breakdown of the votes just for the RB position coaches seemed to vote for players they played against. Which is a shame, because a lot of teams do not play each other.

To be considered for POY you have to receive the most votes at your position. So Terry really did not beat Beck, Ross did. Then Terry and Ross tied for O POY.

I think it was supposed to be released today, but there was a minor mistake, so it had to be corrected.

lol anyone not named Cole Beck as #1 RB in 4D.

Can't trust coaches for anything when it comes to this voting.

Reactions: panther308
Ross and Terry are co players of the year. Just so everyone understands the how it works. Each coach ranks the players for each position and can't vote for their own. Ross beat Beck by a slim Margin. Actually, looking at the breakdown of the votes just for the RB position coaches seemed to vote for players they played against. Which is a shame, because a lot of teams do not play each other.

To be considered for POY you have to receive the most votes at your position. So Terry really did not beat Beck, Ross did. Then Terry and Ross tied for O POY.

I think it was supposed to be released today, but there was a minor mistake, so it had to be corrected.
it's political like most things, you vote for mine I'll vote for yours. Been that way forever.

Reactions: close2salem
lol anyone not named Cole Beck as #1 RB in 4D.

Can't trust coaches for anything when it comes to this voting.
Have you seen the Ross kid from Amherst? Just saying, he was really good this year too. 2300-2400 eushing yards, 20 plus TD’s

Have you seen the Ross kid from Amherst? Just saying, he was really good this year too. 2300-2400 eushing yards, 20 plus TD’s
Ross had a great year. Beck was better. Ross could have won it next year. Best back in region D might have been Ramsey at end of the year

Reactions: VolNation85
Meh, maybe Ross' numbers were better. Can anyone give some concrete numbers for him?

Beck's rushing numbers are 1722 on 217 carries (7.9 ypc) and 31 TDs*

* - not sure if rushing or total, Roanoke Times usually specifies total TDs and did not for this number so I added just his 4 rushing TDs from the Salem PO game to the 27 the paper listed, if that's total then add one more because he had a receiving TD against Salem as well. Obviously RB is more than just rushing but I don't see concrete receiving numbers for Beck.

I don't know Ross' actual numbers (carries matter here) and I'll update Ramsey's after I find out his stats today.

Last edited:
it's political like most things, you vote for mine I'll vote for yours. Been that way forever.
Not as political now as in the past. Now the coaches don't know each other. It comes down to who teams play and see.

I sat in many of those meetings and run some now. The new system makes it hard to be political as you say. Coaches have a hard decision vote on numbers or who you played against.

Reactions: VolNation85
Ramsey's numbers to date: 2083 yards on 181 carries (11.5 ypc) and 27 rushing TDs.

Just think of what would have been if he was the sole #1 all year (he also didn't play in week 1). I really think he'd have done 2500-2700 and probably close to 40 TDs. I'm sure it goes the same for many RBs but Ramsey actually had very low TD totals until the tail end of this season, he's had I think 12-13 in 4 PO games. During the earlier parts of the season he routinely would take them down inside the 5 and the score would end up going elsewhere. He only had like 8 or 9 TDs through week 7 or 8, I think. He really should have been able to rewrite Salem's record books this year but such is life sometimes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT