ADVERTISEMENT

Region 5B In Fall of 2021

CRF4Dan

Richmond Region Football Writer
Staff
Dec 17, 2012
Mechanicsville, VA
https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_4621ba91-c658-5a29-aa95-d8fc55e83f71.html

About a week or two ago the VHSL told us that Manchester would be moving back to Class 6 because their enrollment has grown and that Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina would have the option to move to Class 4 and James River would have the option to drop to Class 5 from Class 6.

Well it would appear by this article that James River wants to stay put and as long as the VHSL approves the move by Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina it would mean come the fall of 2021 Region 5B would consist of these schools only:

Highland Springs
Meadowbrook
Prince George
Deep Run
Douglas Freeman
Glen Allen
Hermitage
JR Tucker
Mills Godwin
Clover Hill
LC Bird
Midlothian

The loss of Varina and Henrico will mean the loss of two perennial playoff participants... So who do you think rules Region 5B in the years to come aside from Highland Springs?

Can Prince George, Deep Run and Clover Hill build on what they did in 2019?

Can Hermitage and LC Bird return to the top of the region?

While the loss of these four schools would hurt the region it will open opportunities for others.

https://richmond.com/sports/high-sc...cle_4621ba91-c658-5a29-aa95-d8fc55e83f71.html

About a week or two ago the VHSL told us that Manchester would be moving back to Class 6 because their enrollment has grown and that Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina would have the option to move to Class 4 and James River would have the option to drop to Class 5 from Class 6.

Well it would appear by this article that James River wants to stay put and as long as the VHSL approves the move by Atlee, Henrico, Matoaca and Varina it would mean come the fall of 2021 Region 5B would consist of these schools only:

Highland Springs
Meadowbrook
Prince George
Deep Run
Douglas Freeman
Glen Allen
Hermitage
JR Tucker
Mills Godwin
Clover Hill
LC Bird
Midlothian

The loss of Varina and Henrico will mean the loss of two perennial playoff participants... So who do you think rules Region 5B in the years to come aside from Highland Springs?

While the loss of these four schools would hurt the region it will open opportunities for others.
From what I’ve seen Dan..

Not only will Herm be a state contender in due time, I believe Glen Allen are on their way as well. The Jags had an impressive JV team and they’re building a heck of a coaching staff. I believe it’ll all come down to the redistricting lines. It looks like Herm will get back some of their kids they’ve lost to GA. We’ll see.

Jeremiah Coney (Herm) looks to be the next big thing out of the 804. He’s a rising sophomore and did really well sharing the spotlight with Nigel James (who is pretty damn good himself) in the backfield this year. As a freshman he had over 900 yards rushing. 6’ 190, he’s going to be fun to watch in Dave Bedwell’s offense. Herm and GA both have a pretty impressive class of 2022 and 2023 class.

Reactions: 757FridayNiteZ

Not only will Herm be a state contender in due time, I believe Glen Allen are on their way as well. The Jags had an impressive JV team and they’re building a heck of a coaching staff. I believe it’ll all come down to the redistricting lines. It looks like Herm will get back some of their kids they’ve lost to GA. We’ll see.

Jeremiah Coney (Herm) looks to be the next big thing out of the 804. He’s a rising sophomore and did really well sharing the spotlight with Nigel James (who is pretty damn good himself) in the backfield this year. As a freshman he had over 900 yards rushing. 6’ 190, he’s going to be fun to watch in Dave Bedwell’s offense. Herm and GA both have a pretty impressive class of 2022 and 2023 class.

Colonial District should be a lot of fun... Deep Run should rule the roost this season but with Glen Allen & Hermitage on the rise. Don't forget you got a JR Tucker team which I think in the years to come will be better with Coach Sims at the helm given what he did at John Marshall.

Reactions: iDidntGetBanned
Colonial District should be a lot of fun... Deep Run should rule the roost this season but with Glen Allen & Hermitage on the rise. Don't forget you got a JR Tucker team which I think in the years to come will be better with Coach Sims at the helm given what he did at John Marshall.
Can’t forget about Tee Jay! They’ll likely contend for the 2A state championship this year if we have a playoffs. The Colonial is going to be very solid. The 804 is prime time tv. The Capital, Colonial, Dominion and Central Districts are all loaded this year and will be for the next few years.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
The colonial will be very interesting seeing how Deep Run will bounce back, seeing bedwell finally with Hermitage and hearing Glen Allen adding a staff including some Varina coaches and some good transfers. I cant wait to see this play out!!!!

The colonial will be very interesting seeing how Deep Run will bounce back, seeing bedwell finally with Hermitage and hearing Glen Allen adding a staff including some Varina coaches and some good transfers. I cant wait to see this play out!!!!
This year’s Hermitage team will be very good and I believe they’ll contend with Glen Allen and Deep Run for the Colonial. I watched them beat Dale last year and lose to Henrico in OT. They actually played Maury, Varina and Deep Run really solid. I believe if Bedwell would’ve been on the sidelines they would’ve at least a 7 win team this past year.

Hermitage and Glen Allen state contenders?! Come on now! Not as long as Highland Springs is playing in their division! Completely different talent level and coaching staffs! I saw GA face HSHS and quite honestly,it was an embarrassing difference. The discipline level between HSHS & Hermitage is GLARING as well! Fact is...HSHS runs D5 until further notice! They are ridiculously stacked for the next 5 years!

Highland Springs
Meadowbrook
Prince George
Deep Run
Douglas Freeman
Glen Allen
Hermitage
JR Tucker
Mills Godwin
Clover Hill
LC Bird
Midlothian

It’s embarrassing that both ADs at Henrico and Varina states their schools can’t compete at the D5 level,and would be more competitive,across the board,at the Next lower level.

Reactions: aw19752
It’s embarrassing that both ADs at Henrico and Varina states their schools can’t compete at the D5 level,and would be more competitive,across the board,at the Next lower level.
is that what they said?
I wonder where all the kids they lost will end up?
From what I have been hearing HS will not be a C5 school for much longer anyway
The new school will have C6 capacity and you will be dealing with NoVa and Tidewater.
so what happens at those school will not be your concern..

Hermitage and Glen Allen state contenders?! Come on now! Not as long as Highland Springs is playing in their division! Completely different talent level and coaching staffs! I saw GA face HSHS and quite honestly,it was an embarrassing difference. The discipline level between HSHS & Hermitage is GLARING as well! Fact is...HSHS runs D5 until further notice! They are ridiculously stacked for the next 5 years!
You said the same thing about Varina 9 months ago. Again, Herm and possibly Glen Allen will contend for the Region and State title. Put some respect on Dave Bedwell’s name. Just as HS will be good, Herm will too.

Reactions: WP02alum
@HooSprings get familiar with the name Jeremiah Coney. He’s the next great back out of the Bedwell tree of running backs. Just a rising sophomore. You’ll see him soon enough. Remember, I warned you about Isiah Paige & Varina, 2 years ago.

You said the same thing about Varina 9 months ago. Again, Herm and possibly Glen Allen will contend for the Region and State title. Put some respect on Dave Bedwell’s name. Just as HS will be good, Herm will too.
You must really know something over there at Herm and GA?!?!

I saw Herm play 3 and a half times this past year and they were pretty daggone good. Very young in a lot of areas and I think most importantly, they played without their coach who happens to be one of the best in 804 history. They finished 4-6 but easily could’ve been 7-3. I believe they were set to surprise a lot of people this year. They have the best RB in 5B in Nigel James, returned all but 1 starter on the O and D lines including Carlos Alexander (All Region Selection) and Dave Bedwell was going to be back on the sidelines. They have around 18 starters returning this year. They don’t get much love anymore. They were 11-2 in 2017, 1-9 in 2018 and 4-6 last year. Most of their seniors are 3 year starters and they have essentially played 2 years without a true coach. They’re going to be really good in spring 2021 and I would say that they’re going to be very good over the next 3-4 years.

Glen Allen was set to be pretty good this upcoming year and they look to have a lot of promise coming up to varsity in the next few years. Their JV team was 10-0 this past year and I believe they were returning around 15 starters on varsity. They have a young coach in Perry Jones and they’ve picked up some quality assistants from Varina. Once those kids buy in, I believe Glen Allen will be pretty good, but I don’t believe they have the very high ceiling Herm does.

I saw Herm play 3 and a half times this past year and they were pretty daggone good. Very young in a lot of areas and I think most importantly, they played without their coach who happens to be one of the best in 804 history. They finished 4-6 but easily could’ve been 7-3. I believe they were set to surprise a lot of people this year. They have the best RB in 5B in Nigel James, returned all but 1 starter on the O and D lines including Carlos Alexander (All Region Selection) and Dave Bedwell was going to be back on the sidelines. They have around 18 starters returning this year. They don’t get much love anymore. They were 11-2 in 2017, 1-9 in 2018 and 4-6 last year. Most of their seniors are 3 year starters and they have essentially played 2 years without a true coach. They’re going to be really good in spring 2021 and I would say that they’re going to be very good over the next 3-4 years.

Glen Allen was set to be pretty good this upcoming year and they look to have a lot of promise coming up to varsity in the next few years. Their JV team was 10-0 this past year and I believe they were returning around 15 starters on varsity. They have a young coach in Perry Jones and they’ve picked up some quality assistants from Varina. Once those kids buy in, I believe Glen Allen will be pretty good, but I don’t believe they have the very high ceiling Herm does.
Very true! That will be an interesting matchup I don’t think Herm have beat GA in the last two seasons on JV nor Varsity. GA Adding them Varina coaches n transfers that I heard about the west end can get very competitive. Still can’t count out Deep Run as well

Glen Allen coaches are not only doing good work football-wise, but they seem to have instilled a great attitude throughout their team. That’s the kind of coaching I admire most. Building great future adults!

Very true! That will be an interesting matchup I don’t think Herm have beat GA in the last two seasons on JV nor Varsity. GA Adding them Varina coaches n transfers that I heard about the west end can get very competitive. Still can’t count out Deep Run as well
Tucker will be on the rise too. Freeman always plays a pretty tough game and Godwin is sneaky tough. Henrico County football is overall very very strong. I’m from southern VA and a lot of the middle of the pack Henrico teams could beat our “best” out there. The rec leagues in Henrico are far superior.

Tucker will be on the rise too. Freeman always plays a pretty tough game and Godwin is sneaky tough. Henrico County football is overall very very strong. I’m from southern VA and a lot of the middle of the pack Henrico teams could beat our “best” out there. The rec leagues in Henrico are far superior.

I'm excited for the future of Tucker. They are getting a new school, a new stadium and with Coach Phillip Sims taking over that program given the quick turnaround at John Marshall I have no doubt they will be on the rise. I don't think we will see a turnaround this year but the future is certainly bright.

is that what they said?
I wonder where all the kids they lost will end up?
From what I have been hearing HS will not be a C5 school for much longer anyway
The new school will have C6 capacity and you will be dealing with NoVa and Tidewater.
so what happens at those school will not be your concern..
I’ve already been told that some of the coaches have already come over to Glen Allen(where my kids go). Highland springs will stay in division five from what I was told yesterday by one of the couches. The bigger concern for everyone is, VHSL is considering going to four divisions.

Even a blind hog finds a nut every now and then. Everyone said the same thing when the Giants beat the patriots in the Super Bowl. Fact is it took the worst game of a kids life for them to beat Highland springs. I guess you’ve never wondered why Varina only has three or four Division I players! The difference in talent is currently mine boggling! The difference in coaching and discipline is quite blatantly easy to see.

Reactions: aw19752
@HooSprings get familiar with the name Jeremiah Coney. He’s the next great back out of the Bedwell tree of running backs. Just a rising sophomore. You’ll see him soon enough. Remember, I warned you about Isiah Paige & Varina, 2 years ago.
Isaiah page was nothing more than a low division one player at best because he’s too small. It took bug to have his worst game ever for them to finally beat Highland Springs. No you bring in a coach with no head-coaching experience And going to try to beat Johnson?! Lmao Ask hermitage about bringing in a coach that didn’t deserve the position

I live over by Glen Allen and I can tell you, the difference, in athlete ,compared to Highland Springs, is not even close! Same thing with Hermitage! Bedwell will be the first want to tell you he doesn’t have the talent at Hermitage that he has over Highland Springs! Not even close!

Even a blind hog finds a nut every now and then. Everyone said the same thing when the Giants beat the patriots in the Super Bowl. Fact is it took the worst game of a kids life for them to beat Highland springs. I guess you’ve never wondered why Varina only has three or four Division I players! The difference in talent is currently mine boggling! The difference in coaching and discipline is quite blatantly easy to see.
Btw it's a blind squirrel lol

Isaiah page was nothing more than a low division one player at best because he’s too small. It took bug to have his worst game ever for them to finally beat Highland Springs. No you bring in a coach with no head-coaching experience And going to try to beat Johnson?! Lmao Ask hermitage about bringing in a coach that didn’t deserve the position
I live over by Glen Allen and I can tell you, the difference, in athlete ,compared to Highland Springs, is not even close! Same thing with Hermitage! Bedwell will be the first want to tell you he doesn’t have the talent at Hermitage that he has over Highland Springs! Not even close!
You lose all credibility with the junk you post. I’m reading all 3 of these plus the other stuff you post and I can’t even take you serious lol.. You claim to have insight and be in the know and I can fact check, literally, everything you post. Instead of Hoosprings you should name yourself FakeNewsprings.

I’ve already been told that some of the coaches have already come over to Glen Allen(where my kids go). Highland springs will stay in division five from what I was told yesterday by one of the couches. The bigger concern for everyone is, VHSL is considering going to four divisions.

I honestly hope they don't go to four. They had the chance to do that when they re-did the classes after the 2012 season and they did not. The size disparity from top to bottom in some classes I think would be too great. Bigger question is does the VHSL really want to give up two more state titles games and more money? If anything I think they should leave it at 6 classes but shorten the playoffs so that teams with losing records do not make the playoffs.

I think the biggest compliment to Henrico County sports is the rec league and middle school programs. Most importantly, the higher ups in central office are all in on athletics. If you look around the county, all of HCPS’s schools have quality head football coaches. The principals are also all in. You don’t find that, collectively.

One of Highland Springs biggest advantages is that they have the best community support in the county and they have an awesome coaching staff. The trend I see in Henrico County high school football is the quest to see who builds the best football staff. Varina is doing an impeccable job, Glen Allen looks to be be catching up to Varina, Deep Run is building a nice program (though I think they’ll be down after this year), I’m sure Herm has brought in some of Bedwell’s staff from Bird, and Tucker made a huge splash with Sims. It’s a chess match.

Coach Johnson is in a class of his own and unless something unforeseen happens I imagine he will end up the all-time winning coach in Central/Richmond Region history but correct me if I'm wrong but when Johnson was hired at Highland Springs there were many who questioned his experience given his underwhelming record at Stonewall Jackson. Give Coach Lewis a chance... the man has assembled a quality staff.

I think the biggest compliment to Henrico County sports is the rec league and middle school programs. Most importantly, the higher ups in central office are all in on athletics. If you look around the county, all of HCPS’s schools have quality head football coaches. The principals are also all in. You don’t find that, collectively.

One of Highland Springs biggest advantages is that they have the best community support in the county and they have an awesome coaching staff. The trend I see in Henrico County high school football is the quest to see who builds the best football staff. Varina is doing an impeccable job, Glen Allen looks to be be catching up to Varina, Deep Run is building a nice program (though I think they’ll be down after this year), I’m sure Herm has brought in some of Bedwell’s staff from Bird, and Tucker made a huge splash with Sims. It’s a chess match.

The saying is "it takes it village" and that applies to football programs. It is not enough to just have a dynamite coaching staff or stud athletes or community support. You must meld it altogether. Varina had that when they were competing for state titles, LC Bird had that when they were at the top, Dinwiddie has that and now Highland Springs has it. With one of those three you can go far but to be elite you got to have it all.

Coach Johnson is in a class of his own and unless something unforeseen happens I imagine he will end up the all-time winning coach in Central/Richmond Region history but correct me if I'm wrong but when Johnson was hired at Highland Springs there were many who questioned his experience given his underwhelming record at Stonewall Jackson. Give Coach Lewis a chance... the man has assembled a quality staff.
What is the win/loss differences in Bedwell and Johnson. I disagree that he is in a class of his own. He is a great coach but so is Mills (Dinwiddie), Bedwell, and Irby (Hopewell) who has done a lot with a lot less. Can’t forget that Bedwell has been out of the game for 3 years. Johnson vs Bedwell is like the Jordan vs Kobe vs Lebron conversation.. Jordan retired twice and then played 2 years of college. Of course the numbers would be scattered.

What is the win/loss differences in Bedwell and Johnson. I disagree that he is in a class of his own. He is a great coach but so is Mills (Dinwiddie), Bedwell, and Irby (Hopewell) who has done a lot with a lot less. Can’t forget that Bedwell has been out of the game for 3 years. Johnson vs Bedwell is like the Jordan vs Kobe vs Lebron conversation.. Jordan retired twice and then played 2 years of college. Of course the numbers would be scattered.

Bedwell 201-43
Johnson 125-22
Mills 132-52
Irby 82-43

You did not mention Tom Hall at Manchester who is 159-68

Bedwell 201-43
Johnson 125-22
Mills 132-52
Irby 82-43

You did not mention Tom Hall at Manchester who is 159-68
Yes sir, you’re 100 correct. Tom Hall is phenomenal! I like Henderson at Monacan as well but Johnson, Hall, Bedwell, Irby, and Mills are top tier!

The difference there is,Lewis has never had a head-coaching position. Johnson was head and he had managed power five level players as a head coach! Not to mention Johnson has played at the power of five level so he knows what it takes to build those type of players. Do you realize on this year‘s team, Johnson has approximately 18 power five players, Including to senior Sports Illustrated all American candidates?! We will see what happens with Lewis, but we saw what happens when you bring in an unqualified coach as we saw at Hermitage last year! The only question we had with Johnson was could he finish a job that he couldn’t finish at Stonewall and that Burton could not finish with HS, but Johnson went through Bedwell to finish,and finished 4x. We’ll see!

The saying is "it takes it village" and that applies to football programs. It is not enough to just have a dynamite coaching staff or stud athletes or community support. You must meld it altogether. Varina had that when they were competing for state titles, LC Bird had that when they were at the top, Dinwiddie has that and now Highland Springs has it. With one of those three you can go far but to be elite you got to have it all.
That’s a great statement

The difference there is,Lewis has never had a head-coaching position. Johnson was head and he had managed power five level players as a head coach! Not to mention Johnson has played at the power of five level so he knows what it takes to build those type of players. Do you realize on this year‘s team, Johnson has approximately 18 power five players, Including to senior Sports Illustrated all American candidates?! We will see what happens with Lewis, but we saw what happens when you bring in an unqualified coach as we saw at Hermitage last year! The only question we had with Johnson was could he finish a job that he couldn’t finish at Stonewall and that Burton could not finish with HS, but Johnson went through Bedwell to finish,and finished 4x. We’ll see!

You're right, time will tell... my point is just don't be so quick to dismiss Coach Lewis. I think everyone agreed the hire at Hermitage of Johnson was a bad one from the start, I haven't heard many speak ill of the hire of Coach Lewis.

And if you are using the argument of Coach Lewis not being a head coach before... Irby was never a head coach before taking over at Hopewell.

The difference there is,Lewis has never had a head-coaching position. Johnson was head and he had managed power five level players as a head coach! Not to mention but Johnson went through Bedwell to finish,and finished 4x. We’ll see!
Johnson beat Bedwell 1 time during both teams’ 7 year runs. That was probably Bedwell’s least talented offensive team he’s ever had at Bird. Both coaches have a lot gas in their tanks but unless Johnson coaches another 10 years at the high school level, which I think he’ll eventually go to the college level, he won’t catch Bedwell. Everywhere Bedwell has gone, he’s won. After he leaves, those programs don’t continue that success. Johnson could leave Highland Springs tomorrow and they’d still be good for the next 5-8 years.

Johnson beat Bedwell 1 time during both teams’ 7 year runs. That was probably Bedwell’s least talented offensive team he’s ever had at Bird. Both coaches have a lot gas in their tanks but unless Johnson coaches another 10 years at the high school level, which I think he’ll eventually go to the college level, he won’t catch Bedwell. Everywhere Bedwell has gone, he’s won. After he leaves, those programs don’t continue that success. Johnson could leave Highland Springs tomorrow and they’d still be good for the next 5-8 years.

Johnson has said previously before that he wants to coach his sons at Highland Springs so until that is done I don't see him going anywhere.

Johnson has said previously before that he wants to coach his sons at Highland Springs so until that is done I don't see him going anywhere.
IMO, when the Tech HC position comes available he should be top priority.

Offers come with winning. Varina is seeing a spike in offers as they have quite a few who played sparingly last year gain offers. Herm was a hot bed for offers a few years back and so was Bird. Hopewell’s JV QB already has an offer from ODU. @HooSprings, Marvin Reed (Liberty) and Joe Johnson (Penn State) were both Herm’s. The last coach ran a lot of talent out of that school. Great coaches like Johnson and Bedwell attract talent.

IMO, when the Tech HC position comes available he should be top priority.

Coach Johnson certainly deserves a look from the college ranks but I don't foresee him going from HC of Highland Springs to HC at Virginia Tech. A position on the Tech staff? Definitely and then work his way up to the opportunity...

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT