ADVERTISEMENT

Region A #1 Lafayette (9-0) vs. #8 Churchland (5-5)

Who wins?

• Lafayette

Votes: 39 90.7%
  • Churchland

Votes: 4 9.3%

• Total voters
Would love to see @DEVILSLB99 pull this one out, but just don't think the Truckers are quite ready to win this one. Lafayette is too physical and experienced. Give the Truckers coaching staff another year and things may be different. Congrats on a sound season Churchland.

Lafayette will be ready. In common opponents Churchland won 20-0 against Grafton and lost to Norcom. Lafayette blew both out. LT scored over 60 on Churchland recently. It could be a tough day for Churchland. Will DevilsLB99 be in attendance? If so, maybe he would like to meet this “old man”.

Last edited:
I have not seen Churchland play, so comments are based on what Lafayette does well.

Play defense and run the ball. Winning receipe this time of the year. Sprinkle in passing plays to 2 very good targets (6 and 81) and they are really tough. Every game it seems like Coach Linn can dial up another weapon on offense. If the defense schemes to take something away, Coach Linn throws a counter punch.

Defensively, I have not seen anyone run the ball on the Rams consistently. That makes opposing offenses one deminsional which is bad news.

Glad to see Devils get the matchup he’s been wanting. Be careful what you ask for...

Last edited:
I have not seen Churchland play, so comment are based on what Lafayette does well.

Play defense and run the ball. Winning receipe this time of the year. Sprinkle in passing plays to 2 very good targets (6 and 81) and they are really tough. Every game it seems like Coach Linn can dial up another weapon on offense. If the defense schemes to take something away, Coach Linn throws a counter punch.

Defensively, I have not seen anyone run the ball on the Rams consistently. That makes opposing offenses one deminsional which is bad news.

Glad to see Devils get the matchup he’s been wanting. Be careful what you ask for...
Be careful for what I ask for? I'm in a completely different situation building a program. SMH

Reactions: Gen54
Lafayette will be ready. In common opponents Churchland won 20-0 against Grafton and lost to Norcom. Lafayette blew both out. LT scored over 60 on Churchland recently. It could be a tough day for Churchland. Will DevilsLB99 be in attendance? If so, maybe he would like to meet this “old man”.
I'm always in attendance when my team plays. Based on @Lafayette logic we might as well stay home. Cool!!

Reactions: ForksUp
Be careful for what I ask for? I'm in a completely different situation building a program. SMH

NO BACK-PEDALING DEVILS! You talked mad noise about the BRD and Lafayette for years. Now you get to see how you measure up. Don’t tell me on Monday on game week about “building a program”. Sounds like you are letting yourself down easy and paving excuse boulevard!

I’d rather you’d continue to talk that game bruh and expect your players to ball out on the BRD. It’s the playoffs - anything can happen. At least rep your boys!!!! SMH x 2!

NO BACK-PEDALING DEVILS! You talked mad noise about the BRD and Lafayette for years. Now you get to see how you measure up. Don’t tell me on Monday on game week about “building a program”. Sounds like you are letting yourself down easy and paving excuse boulevard!

I’d rather you’d continue to talk that game bruh and expect your players to ball out on the BRD. It’s the playoffs - anything can happen. At least rep your boys!!!! SMH x 2!
LOL...That was sarcasm my man!! I'm at Churchland now and if you think Churchland and Lake Taylor are the same caliber teams then you're sadly mistaken. We are working hard to get there. Don't worry we are going to bring our A game.

Reactions: mbonape1
I'm always in attendance when my team plays. Based on @Lafayette logic we might as well stay home. Cool!!
Nah, come on up Devil and see our stadium. Don’t think you’ve been here before. As we are going to Group 3 next year we may not see each other again for awhile. I’m sure with you as AD , Churchland will give us an extra effort and put up an excellent fight .

Reactions: mbonape1
Hey shout out to devils for doing the polls like he did previous years. You always had some good insight even though you were hard on my side of the state. Good job with your hires out there and getting to the playoffs. Hope yall shake some stuff up in the years to come!

Agree on polls - thanks Devils!

BTW Devils, the scoreboard at Wanner is automatically programmed for a running clock in the 2nd half when Lafayette plays. It's up to the opponents to reconfigure the clock settings. Please bring a manual along with that A game if you are feeling it! Here we go baby - it's playoff time!!!!

BTW Devils, the scoreboard at Wanner is automatically programmed for a running clock in the 2nd half when Lafayette plays. It's up to the opponents to reconfigure the clock settings. Please bring a manual along with that A game if you are feeling it! Here we go baby - it's playoff time!!!!
Yea guess Poquoson and Warhill brought their manuals with them. Smh...You talking a lot of cash...Where was this talk when I was at LT? Typical front runner.

Hey shout out to devils for doing the polls like he did previous years. You always had some good insight even though you were hard on my side of the state. Good job with your hires out there and getting to the playoffs. Hope yall shake some stuff up in the years to come!
Appreciate it sir.

Yea guess Poquoson and Warhill brought their manuals with them. Smh...You talking a lot of cash...Where was this talk when I was at LT? Typical front runner.
Your right - Poquoson defensively held Lafayette in check offensively all game as did Warhill for a half. Some of it may be due to three days to prep for both games back to back (played 4 games in 12 days due to weather) but it could happen again. Sometimes that wing T works fantastic and other times it just runs in place! Lafayette at times has laid an egg in the playoffs/ loss in first round to Park View- SH, at home to James Monroe and another time away and that home playoff against Powhatan where winning FG hits the upright and bounces away. Strange things do happen in the playoffs though the last two years were pretty good efforts on the road.

"BTW Devils, the scoreboard at Wanner is automatically programmed for a running clock in the 2nd half when Lafayette plays. It's up to the opponents to reconfigure the clock settings. Please bring a manual along with that A game if you are feeling it! Here we go baby - it's playoff time!!!![/QUO"

@DEVILSLB99, I hope you don't mind me speaking for LT and you sir, but I am going to do it anyway. @RamzFan, you came out of the woodwork this year talking a ton of smack. I don't know if you are a parent, fan, player or coach, but you need to check yourself before you pop off on people who have posted for years on this board. @Lafayette, you are a good dude and have won many of these debates in the past so please stay out of this.

First, you attack one of the friendliest posters on here @BleedingNavy when he was making a very valid point and as proven Smithfield (even though they were not required to do so) took their forfeit, because the VHSL asked them to for fair play and integrity. Guess who did not and basically thumbed their noses at everybody?

Second, do you really know the history and facts between @Lafayette and @DEVILSLB99debates. Those two had some of the best and cleanest battles on this board. It was all about LT trying to get Lafayette to play them and they refused over and over, so they could play their cupcake schedule and get a high playoff seed. Nothing has changed since 2013. Sad part is they are a hell of a team. One of the best defenses in class 4 for many years.

Third, let me make something clear before you start crowing about Lafayette. Since realignment Lafayette has scheduled down every year in their one ood game. Brunswick (Class 2), Huguenot (class 3 at the time) and Norcom (Class 3). The Bay Rivers District has been the weakest district in the State since realignment. Check VHSL Reference if you doubt me. Since and before realignment Lake Taylor has played anybody and everybody all the while winning a State Championship and finishing as the runner up in 2015. Their OOD schedule is second to none. LC Bird (Class 5) , GW Danville (Class 4), Indian River (Class 5), Oscar Smith (Class 6), Northeastern NC (Class 4), Amherst County (Class 4), Freedom (Class 6) and on and on. B

Before you start talking trash know the facts and accept them. @DEVILSLB99 is building a team at Churchland. It takes time, but he has made significant progress in two years. He knows how to win as he was part of one of the most successful staffs and programs in this state.

What exactly have you or Lafayette done since 2013. 2 Semi's and lost both.

Last edited:

You’re right! Those were our only non-running clock games of the season. But I’m talking playoffs - Round 1 we run that thing like FloJo!!!!

I like to have some fun talking - getting when the gettin good. It’s all good, I like the back and forth - but what’s the deal with Lancer carrying your jock? Ya’ll boys?

You’re right! Those were our only non-running clock games of the season. But I’m talking playoffs - Round 1 we run that thing like FloJo!!!!

I like to have some fun talking - getting when the gettin good. It’s all good, I like the back and forth - but what’s the deal with Lancer carrying your jock? Ya’ll boys?
If the Rams fall short be ready to eat all of that crow and dont disappear.

Reactions: OCBoy and RamzFan
If the Rams fall short be ready to eat all of that crow and dont disappear.
Football at the High School can be so unpredictable, I am always a little nervous. I was calm for only 2 our games- Jamestown and Grafton. Churchland will not lay down, they now have a full year of experience and Southside always has good athletes. They will be pumped, it’s the playoffs. I hope we perform to our capability but I cannot boast. I will wait until December.

Football at the High School can be so unpredictable, I am always a little nervous. I was calm for only 2 our games- Jamestown and Grafton. Churchland will not lay down, they now have a full year of experience and Southside always has good athletes. They will be pumped, it’s the playoffs. I hope we perform to our capability but I cannot boast. I will wait until December.
I have Alot of respect for you @Lafayette and I am not taking anything away from your Rams. Great team and well coached. I tend to enjoy posts from some of the more humble and realistic fans. I'm not trying to stir the pot either. Good luck to ALL teams. New season starts this week

Do the Truckers have a turf field?
No field turf however I’m working on it. Problem is whole city caters to IC Norcom because almost all of the decision makers and even the city manager are either alumni, coaches, or supporters of Norcom.

I did the legwork found a way to get it done and was told Norcom will get turf first. It’s cool though I’m going to keep beating them across the board in all sports and trying to build a successful program across the board and not one that focuses on football and basketball only.

@DEVILSLB99 you know how proud the boys in the "well" are of you. Keep grinding sir. Your boys (Blue Devils) got us this year. They played lights out defense. The only time I rooted against them all year. Coach Simon said last week he knew you were going to be special, because you refused to accept failure and used your frustration to fuel your desire. Looks like he was on the money!

I think the only team on the South Side of 757 with Turf is Kellam HS in VaBeach and that was part of their new School being built a short time back. There are some schools that have a hard time with their resources to keep up their Grass fields. Quite a few fields down here are mud pits this time of year.

@Lancer - You way about of bounds and you keep spouting fiction. A few things:

1. This is a fan msg board. Don't tell me or anyone else what to post, when to engage, what to keep out of etc. Who made you boss? "Check myself?" Look in the mirror.

2. Your take on the forfeit thing is nuts. Let's make this clear - the VHSL didn't ask anyone to do anything. Smithfield most likely took the forfeit because it didn't matter to their playoff seeding. There wasn't any nobility in their decision. The VHSL told all the Class 4 teams the rules when things went down with Bruton. Once Lafayette couldn't find an opponent they chose 1 of the 2 options given by VHSL - not count the game. That decision was made in August, nobody gamed the system. Some other teams with cancelled game made their decision with playoff clarity - so I'd say that an August decision by Lafayette was probably more fair than waiting.

Bottom line if LT handle they business, they would have been the #1 seed. Let's think about this...In your mind a "more fair" scenario would have been a 10-0 Lafayette team being a #2 seed to a 9-1 LT team. AND what would have made that fair, was forcing Lafayette to take a forfeit when they found out a week before the season that Bruton canceled on them, giving them no opportunity to find another opponent. AND in your opinion it would be more fair for Lafayette to finish as the #2 to LT when they played a common opponent in Norcom that Lafayette beat by 37 and LT lost to by 20! So, LT's lone loss was a team that Lafayette beat. For that, it would have been “more fair” for LT to be rewarded over Lafayette? Do I need to go on - or do you get it? It worked out as it should. I’d argue that any other coach and AD with any type of experience would have done the same thing that Lafayette did. If they didn’t, they probably aren’t still playing right now. No lack of morality here it was a logical decision – stop creating drama.

3. I was having fun with Devils. He's in P-Town now by way of Norfolk. P-Town boys can take care of themselves and don't need you jumping to their defense. I know because I was born and raised in P-Town. I hope he turns around athletics at Churchland – good kids down there that need strong male leaders. In terms of me and "what have I done?" Doesn't make any sense. This isn't about me or you - despite your deep desire to make this personal. I won't go there. However, I'm a fan of the Rams have been for a long time since moving to the area. This year I got a little closer with a nephew in the program. I have not done anything for Lafayette football other than support them - you got me...my resume isn't impressive. Again - you don't make sense.

4. "Attack Bleeding Navy" - FAKE NEWS! I was defending our program. Dudes on this board calling out the integrity of our program. Heck, some even called it a "district conspiracy"! That's ridiculous. I didn't say boo about Navy’s team or his interest. I disagreed with him, plain and simple. Isn't that what these boards do - offer differing opinions? So, you don't like a new guy coming in and "crowing" about his team. Here's my thought on your feelings - NOTED. I'll crow about my team because that's the purpose of this board. Sounds like your attempt to make this personal it part of the reason a lot of guys dropped off this board. Citing board history and former battles is whatever – I don’t care. I’ve been reading a long time and this year decided to post. I could care less if you don’t like it or if I’ve disrupted the supposed harmony on this board. Keep it about your team and I'll keep it about mine. However, you come at me - expect a response. Bottom line - I'm here to stay no matter how personal you try to make this.

5. Posting etiquette. I've read Matt's rules and feel like I'm good - check my stuff. I post about our kids, coaches and program and cheer them on. I have not:

- Called out other players
- Called out other coaches
- Called out other administrators

Meanwhile, you and Devils have made crazy claims aimed directly at Lafayette coaches and administrators. Unfortunately - Devils has history...ask Salem. Here's the deal - if you and others make wild statements that I know are bogus, I will call you on it. You say things about our coaches - I'll have their back. You stoop to a level of degrading our kids - you'll hear from me. Get it?

This will be the last time I entertain your garbage. Best of luck to you and your kids going forward.

RamzFan

Last edited:
Your best post to date, RamzFan...that was gospel!

Also, LancerDad confused me w/RamzFan as the one "attacking" BN, which is total garbage. All I did was respond to what he was spewing in trying to defend the program. The Dinwiddie folks are good people, but he was out of line...you don't get a free pass to make ridiculous accusations just because you've been a long time poster. Shoot, I'll bet Smithfield only ended up taking the forfeit to avoid a losing season...sounds like it wouldn't have affected their seeding, so 5-5 looks better than 4-5. There goes the BRD/Smithfield/Lafayette collusion theory, huh?

Reactions: RamzFan
Don’t worry. They might have to play them and I’m sure LT has the manual

@DEVILSLB99 you know how proud the boys in the "well" are of you. Keep grinding sir. Your boys (Blue Devils) got us this year. They played lights out defense. The only time I rooted against them all year. Coach Simon said last week he knew you were going to be special, because you refused to accept failure and used your frustration to fuel your desire. Looks like he was on the money!
I appreciate Coach Simon a lot even taking my Truckers up to Carver to play them in boys basketball the first week of the season.
Very proud of my HS they are playing well outside of that game vs. Dale which is still a head scratcher but styles and matchups make games. Hopefully I get a chance to see them play for the title again 2nd weekend in December.

Reactions: mike salem

1. This is a fan msg board. Don't tell me or anyone else what to post, when to engage, what to keep out of etc. Who made you boss? "Check myself?" Look in the mirror.

2. Your take on the forfeit thing is nuts. Let's make this clear - the VHSL didn't ask anyone to do anything. Smithfield most likely took the forfeit because it didn't matter to their playoff seeding. There wasn't any nobility in their decision. The VHSL told all the Class 4 teams the rules when things went down with Bruton. Once Lafayette couldn't find an opponent they chose 1 of the 2 options given by VHSL - not count the game. That decision was made in August, nobody gamed the system. Some other teams with cancelled game made their decision with playoff clarity - so I'd say that an August decision by Lafayette was probably more fair than waiting.

Bottom line if LT handle they business, they would have been the #1 seed. Let's think about this...In your mind a "more fair" scenario would have been a 10-0 Lafayette team being a #2 seed to a 9-1 LT team. AND what would have made that fair, was forcing Lafayette to take a forfeit when they found out a week before the season that Bruton canceled on them, giving them no opportunity to find another opponent. AND in your opinion it would be more fair for Lafayette to finish as the #2 to LT when they played a common opponent in Norcom that Lafayette beat by 37 and LT lost to by 20! So, LT's lone loss was a team that Lafayette beat. For that, it would have been “more fair” for LT to be rewarded over Lafayette? Do I need to go on - or do you get it? It worked out as it should. I’d argue that any other coach and AD with any type of experience would have done the same thing that Lafayette did. If they didn’t, they probably aren’t still playing right now. No lack of morality here it was a logical decision – stop creating drama.

3. I was having fun with Devils. He's in P-Town now by way of Norfolk. P-Town boys can take care of themselves and don't need you jumping to their defense. I know because I was born and raised in P-Town. I hope he turns around athletics at Churchland – good kids down there that need strong male leaders. In terms of me and "what have I done?" Doesn't make any sense. This isn't about me or you - despite your deep desire to make this personal. I won't go there. However, I'm a fan of the Rams have been for a long time since moving to the area. This year I got a little closer with a nephew in the program. I have not done anything for Lafayette football other than support them - you got me...my resume isn't impressive. Again - you don't make sense.

4. "Attack Bleeding Navy" - FAKE NEWS! I was defending our program. Dudes on this board calling out the integrity of our program. Heck, some even called it a "district conspiracy"! That's ridiculous. I didn't say boo about Navy’s team or his interest. I disagreed with him, plain and simple. Isn't that what these boards do - offer differing opinions? So, you don't like a new guy coming in and "crowing" about his team. Here's my thought on your feelings - NOTED. I'll crow about my team because that's the purpose of this board. Sounds like your attempt to make this personal it part of the reason a lot of guys dropped off this board. Citing board history and former battles is whatever – I don’t care. I’ve been reading a long time and this year decided to post. I could care less if you don’t like it or if I’ve disrupted the supposed harmony on this board. Keep it about your team and I'll keep it about mine. However, you come at me - expect a response. Bottom line - I'm here to stay no matter how personal you try to make this.

5. Posting etiquette. I've read Matt's rules and feel like I'm good - check my stuff. I post about our kids, coaches and program and cheer them on. I have not:

Meanwhile, you and Devils have made crazy claims aimed directly at Lafayette coaches and administrators. Unfortunately - Devils has history...ask Salem. Here's the deal - if you and others make wild statements that I know are bogus, I will call you on it. You say things about our coaches - I'll have their back. You stoop to a level of degrading our kids - you'll hear from me. Get it?

This will be the last time I entertain your garbage. Best of luck to you and your kids going forward.

RamzFan

None of my claims are crazy just facts man. I don't know what else to say to you other than block me if you don't like my "crazy claims"

I can rattle off a list of high schools that during our three year run at LT I asked for games and they denied. Broad Run was asked about playing they told me it was too far of a trip coming to Norfolk for a game and then they scheduled Booker T. Washington. They weren't the only one's did made moves like this, but in the case of Lafayette the claim was constantly made they would play anyone and every time I reached out nothing happened. Now I'm at Churchland it's let put Churchland on the schedule since you talked trash while you were at LT. Churchland isn't scared they played Phoebus and Hampton in the same cycle because you don't get better ducking competition.

As far as the Salem situation goes I read what a teacher/coach said online based off a tweet from a Salem student and I said that was a trash comment to make. All I heard about was how great of a man he is, and it may be true, but that was a insensitive and comment made in poor taste especially to joke about kids and their upbringing. We all know the buzzwords that have racial undertones and they shouldn't be used. Again why are we rehashing something from 3-4 years ago?

My question for you Ramz is simple if you had these issues back then why didn't you say anything? You sat in the shadows lurking for 3-4 years waiting for your opportunity to shut me up or something? I did that when I stopped posting on the board...I wish all teams the best the luck and if the Rams win they deserved it.

I appreciate Coach Simon a lot even taking my Truckers up to Carver to play them in boys basketball the first week of the season.
Very proud of my HS they are playing well outside of that game vs. Dale which is still a head scratcher but styles and matchups make games. Hopefully I get a chance to see them play for the title again 2nd weekend in December.
Yeah he told me. I am going to try and get to the game. He is doing good things at Carver. He was disappointed in not being able to play on your new and beautiful floor. Now you have to play him in his band box.

@LHS Rams, I am not going to totally rehash our previous discussions about the forfeits. Collusion may have been a strong and wrong word. For that I apologize. We will just have to respectfully disagree on the rest of our debate and leave it at that. I have no underlying hatred for the Lafayette Rams. We have only played you once and won a very hard fought game. I did openly support @DEVILSLB99 in his debate with @Lafayette several years ago, but in my opinion it was a reasonable argument. I spoke to @mike salem after he squashed the thread and asked him why? I actually told him I enjoyed our debate and did not see where either of us said anything degrading or hurtful. Smithfields acceptance of their forfeit did assist Dinwiddie in acquiring the 3rd seed over EV and I for one appreciate their integrity. If Lafayette wins it all it will be because they are the best team in Class 4. If they don't its because they are not. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do the Truckers have a turf field?
I may be wrong but I strongly believe it is grass. Most of the fields in that area are grass

RamzFan

When you mentioned you followed your nephew I know you are- we’ve sat next to each other for a few games- let everyone on here know you are a pretty nice guy - and big too! Hope to see you on Friday. Ps- about Smithfield you are right. Smithfield waited until the end of season(as VHSL said a team can do) to accept the forfeit as I was wrong and it did NOT change their playoff seeding. I verified and for us it definitely would have dropped #2.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT