7. Prince Edward (3-1). 17.25
8. Nottoway. (2-2). 15.5
9. Bruton. (2-3). 14.2
10. Brunswick. (2_3). 13.6
11. Amelia. (1-3). 12.0
12. Arcadia. (1-3). 10.25
13. John Marshall. (0-5). 9.8
14. Windsor. (0-5). 8.4
THANK YOU SO MUCH! And can you explain in context how this differentiate from the rankings on MaxPreps? Because me and the rest of the coaches at Thomas Jefferson is confused? From what it appears VHSL is using MaxPreps this year, and we don't understand how we are #14 within Division 2A.

THANK YOU SO MUCH! And can you explain in context how this differentiate from the rankings on MaxPreps? Because me and the rest of the coaches at Thomas Jefferson is confused? From what it appears VHSL is using MaxPreps this year, and we don't understand how we are #14 within Division 2A.
I cannot express enough not to consider maxcraps rankings or even alot of game scores. Their rankings are based on their own algorithms which are heavily flawed. Power points is what you need to look at within your own division. A pp of 25 in A is or is not equal to a 25 in B due to strength of a division. However pp will determine seeding for home team in playoffs.

Reactions: TJVikings804
If I remember correctly from last year, Region 2A doesn't go strictly off power points. They use their own criteria based on power points, strength of schedule and something else. The only reason I remember was because there was a discussion on here about it when the seedings were announced and Poquoson was like 4th in power points, yet seeded 6th or something like that

If I remember correctly from last year, Region 2A doesn't go strictly off power points. They use their own criteria based on power points, strength of schedule and something else. The only reason I remember was because there was a discussion on here about it when the seedings were announced and Poquoson was like 4th in power points, yet seeded 6th or something like that
Yeah i did fail to mention some divisions have their own system i like they did in D last year. Dont know yet what system the others are going to use but have seen some asking about it on another board.

Yeah i did fail to mention some divisions have their own system i like they did in D last year. Dont know yet what system the others are going to use but have seen some asking about it on another board.
Most regions use power points, which I personally think is the way it should be done. Unfortunately, the VHSL allows each region to do their own thing instead of making it the same criteria for all regions

Most regions use power points, which I personally think is the way it should be done. Unfortunately, the VHSL allows each region to do their own thing instead of making it the same criteria for all regions
My issue is that they don't make it more transparent before the season start. Especially when seeding is such an important aspect in high school playoff football.

MaxPreps rankings mean nothing but to them. Be about like me and you ranking them. VHSL power points is all that matters for making playoffs and seeding.

Reactions: TJVikings804
If this helps I will explain power points.
1A 16W and 4L
2A 18W and 6L
3A 20W and 8L
4A 22W and 10L
5A 24W and 12L
6A 26W and 14L
You get the win points for beating a team in that division and the loss points if you lose to them. You get rider points also for their wins. A team you beat you get extra 2 points for every win they have and 1 point if you lose to them for every win they have. So each team you play you will continue to get rider points for each time they win for rest of the season. You do not get penalized for playing down a division. So TJ gets 2A points for playing 2A or 1A. You get more points for playing up as you get that divisions power points. So if TJ plays 3A they get 20 for win instead of 18 like in their division. This is only thing determines making playoffs, seeding, and home field. If TJ wins Region in playoffs and plays region B winner, whoever finished with most power points hosts that game. When you see power points like I put that's the average per game. You take total points and divide by number of games. This way if someone had none game schedule would go by average so they wouldn't get penalized for only playing Nine. Like we used to play LCA when they were in private school league and game didn't count in Vhsl so we basically only had nine games that counted. Don't see this that much anymore. Even if you play out of state teams vhsl assigns them a division based on our population numbers for division and you get them power points. Hope this helps.

If this helps I will explain power points.
1A 16W and 4L
2A 18W and 6L
3A 20W and 8L
4A 22W and 10L
5A 24W and 12L
6A 26W and 14L
You get the win points for beating a team in that division and the loss points if you lose to them. You get rider points also for their wins. A team you beat you get extra 2 points for every win they have and 1 point if you lose to them for every win they have. So each team you play you will continue to get rider points for each time they win for rest of the season. You do not get penalized for playing down a division. So TJ gets 2A points for playing 2A or 1A. You get more points for playing up as you get that divisions power points. So if TJ plays 3A they get 20 for win instead of 18 like in their division. This is only thing determines making playoffs, seeding, and home field. If TJ wins Region in playoffs and plays region B winner, whoever finished with most power points hosts that game. When you see power points like I put that's the average per game. You take total points and divide by number of games. This way if someone had none game schedule would go by average so they wouldn't get penalized for only playing Nine. Like we used to play LCA when they were in private school league and game didn't count in Vhsl so we basically only had nine games that counted. Don't see this that much anymore. Even if you play out of state teams vhsl assigns them a division based on our population numbers for division and you get them power points. Hope this helps.
Thank you for the breakdown and detailed explanation sir

I thought it was worse than that for Poquoson. 3rd in power rating and somehow ended up a 6th seed as the best two teams in the region were Poqouson and KW. Region A used Virginia power ratings and they used some other criteria and combined the two and came up with a rating. Craziness. With Poquoson playing mostly 4A schools in the Bay Rivers, their region A rating should have elevated them higher than their VHSL rating if anything, not 2 or 3 seeds lower, but that s what happened and they ended up traveling on the road in game 1.

Reactions: kwhs95fan
I thought it was worse than that for Poquoson. 3rd in power rating and somehow ended up a 6th seed as the best two teams in the region were Poqouson and KW. Region A used Virginia power ratings and they used some other criteria and combined the two and came up with a rating. Craziness. With Poquoson playing mostly 4A schools in the Bay Rivers, their region A rating should have elevated them higher than their VHSL rating if anything, not 2 or 3 seeds lower, but that s what happened and they ended up traveling on the road in game 1.
Yeah. Nottoway got the #1 seed over KW, because Nottoway was undefeated, yet played a weak schedule. Obviously that was settled on the field when KW crushed them. They weren't even in the top 5 teams KW played all season and that game was over before the 1st quarter ended. Poquoson gave KW a lot tougher game in the semifinals

Reactions: Fairlawncat
Not trying to stir the pot here. . . but I would take precaution listening to someone saying they are a coach and thinking the VHSL is using anything from Maxpreps to rate the teams. The VHSL has been using their own system since forever now. Every single coach in VA knows that. Also coaches don't care about max preps rankings because they don't mean anything. TJ has a built up a great reputation and it would be a shame to see that tarnished by a poser. Now if I'm wrong I will gladly shut up and eat crow or whatever.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT