ADVERTISEMENT

Region C #2 Sherando vs #3 Kettle Run

Who wins?

• Sherando

Votes: 32 88.9%
  • Kettle Run

Votes: 4 11.1%

• Total voters
If Sherando is healthy as some have said I think this one goes to the Warriors. Kettle Run is solid all around and if you show up flat against them you're going to lose. I didn't see any superstar-type players on their roster in the first game, just a lot of very well coached team players who are confident that they can play with anyone in the state. Sherando won 27-14 in the regular season.

Both teams have only lost one game. Kettle Run gets a chance to prove that they've improved enough to offset that loss.

Common opponents:
Handley: Sherando won 42-0, Kettle Run won 28-21.
Millbrook: Sherando won 41-14, Kettle Run won 44-22 (regular season) and 20-14 (2OT in playoffs).
Liberty: Sherando won 55-21, Kettle Run won 33-14.
James Wood: Sherando won 65-6, Kettle Run won 41-14.
Fauquier: Sherando won 49-6, Kettle Run won 35-6.

Obviously anything can happen and Kettle Run is a great team, I just don’t think they have the arsenal to keep with Sherando.

My thoughts:

1. The first matchup between the two was just a week separated from Sherando’s showdown with Martinsburg. I think it’s fair to say the Warriors were still a little banged up.
—Sherando is coming off a bye here, plenty of time for Hall and company to prepare and revisit old film.
—KR is coming off a 2OT thriller and headed into a likely packed house on Friday night.

2. In reference to the common opponents, keep in mind Sherando did not play their starters for 48 minutes in the majority of those games. I can’t speak for KR but I’m sure they had to play all 4 quarters in that Handley game.

Outside the lines:
Yes, Kettle Run is a good team and they obviously deserve to be here. However, I think Sherando knows if they want to be thought of as a serious contender they need to put this game away with style points. I’m not quite a believer they can put away a Woodgrove team if that matchup occurs. Take care of KR in impressive fashion and I’ll believe they have what it takes.

What is impressive?
By the numbers, KR has a stout defense. Hang 42 on them this time while keeping that 14 or less on the otherside of the board.

You may think that’s a little excessive, it’s just what I need to see to argue they are a state championship caliber team. Too many years we’ve seen them get to the dance and left embarrassed on the scoreboard.

Reactions: Shruikan
We all have talked a lot about Sherando (which we should!) but I think I am the only correspondent for Kettle Run on the board.

This will be the biggest football game for Kettle Run since 2011 when the Cougars made the state semifinals.

There are 22 seniors that want to make a statement for this game. They have worked hard and earned to play in this game. They also know they are big underdogs against Sherando.

This is the 3rd year for Coach Charlie Porterfield. He has turned around a dying program. His 22 seniors were sophomores when he became Head Coach. These kids have bought in and would do anything for him. They just believe in the process. The trend is good for the program and future growth.

2016- 3 wins 7 losses

2017- 9 wins 3 losses.

2018- 10 wins and 1 loss.

The Cougars have beat the teams they should have this year. They are Nothing fancy. They just win.

The good- Kettle Run Defense Is top notch. The “unknown” front 7 might be as good as any other 4a team. They're fast with good motors and play fundamentally sound defensive football.

If Sherando puts up 40 on the cougar defensive squad I will be surprised. I am not saying the Warrriors won’t, I would be surprised. Scoring less than 40 points shouldn’t take anything away from the powerhouse Sherando. It just explains to all in 4a, that KR is impressive on Defense this year. I don’t think there are many 4A teams that could score 30 or more on KR this time of year other than Sherando and the top offensive teams down south.

The bad- It’s really unfortunate that the Kettle Run Offense is a one dimensional pro style offense. In my opinion, It’s really vanilla. They have No superstars or exciting players to break open the game. They are missing one or two offensive players to make any type of upset or a big playoff run. They still put up points but not like a real powerhouse should. The KR QB is good but lacks accuracy and throws unnecessary interceptions. The running backs are north/south type backs that are not explosive like expected. The best part of the cougar offense is the O line. They are really a good pass blocking unit and run block well.

I am a cougar football fan. I am also a realistic football fan. I am going to say this game will be close to the same score as earlier this year.

Sherando 28 Kettle Run 14

This is the 3rd year for Coach Charlie Porterfield. He has turned around a dying program. His 22 seniors were sophomores when he became Head Coach. These kids have bought in and would do anything for him. They just believe in the process. The trend is good for the program and future growth.

2016- 3 wins 7 losses

2017- 9 wins 3 losses.

2018- 10 wins and 1 loss.

That's quite the impressive turnaround for a fairly new head coach. I expect you guys will still be competitive next year. We'll probably take a step back but we've got a lot of talent waiting in the wings, so we'll see. Will certainly be interesting with Tuscarora joining 4C.

I agree that we've talked a lot about Sherando, and it's great to hear more about Kettle Run. I wish there were more posters from this part of the state that didn't wear black and red every Friday night during football season. There used to be a Millbrook fan who showed up every now and again.

Reactions: CavsGrad
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT