Glass and Blacksburg in the final

#1 Blacksburg over #8 LCA
#2 E.C. Glass over #7 William Byrd
#3 Salem over #6 JF
#5 Pulaski County over #4 GW Danville

#5 Pulaski over #1 Blacksburg
#2 Glass over #3 Salem

#5 Pulaski over #2 Glass

I like all higher seeds so chalk wins. Blacksburg v Glass will be fun. Best upset just because of seed is GW losing to Pulaski.

Last edited:
#1 Blacksburg over #8 LCA
#2 E.C. Glass over #7 William Byrd
#3 Salem over #6 JF
#5 Pulaski County over #4 GW Danville

#5 Pulaski over #1 Blacksburg
#2 Glass over #3 Salem

#5 Pulaski over #2 Glass

"that is all a dream, you used to read word up magazine?"

-biggie

hold on to it though. i respect it. Pulaski has to D up and pound on GW, and from the looks GW is struggling. They barely got by an evidently improved Halifax squad. GW has to match the smash mouth football that Pulaski plays. GW has athletes everywhere. HMM? intreging match up. who wins? GW

Glass also has their hands full vs WB. ECG has to play fundamentally sound football. Great thing about Lynchburg High School is that they have a great DL to handle the run and DBs to handle the back end. who wins? Glass

Will JF run through Salem? Will Salem do what they always do at this point in time in the playoffs? if so, everybody watch out. JF will score, but can Salem get a couple stops and be consistent on O which doesnt seem to hard to do vs JF's D. who wins? JF

blacksburg better dail in, LCA has a great coaching staff who will be prepared. They will have a good game plan that will attack the soft spot. BBurg's O is obviously top notch even with out Tyquest...Speaking of what's Terry's status? who wins? Blacksburg

the thought process...i would like to hear yours...

Last edited:
Reactions: FootballArmy
Here goes nothing:
Blacksburg over LCA: By far the easiest pick, Blacksburg speed will be way too much for LCA

WB over Glass: Obvious Bias here BUT I think they can do it. Their last 2 games have tested them even if they lost. Hung with NS till the 4th who I think is better than Glass. Byrd also has done revenge to get back on Glass after their 31-7 dismantling and they won’t want Highfill to go out on 3 losses in a row.

Salem over JF: Defense wins titles and this game will show why. JF won’t be able to make enough stops to win the game.

Pulaski over GW: Neither team has shown that they can beat top teams but Pulaski is more tested and competed with NS and Blacksburg which tells me they have the edge

Here goes nothing:
Blacksburg over LCA: By far the easiest pick, Blacksburg speed will be way too much for LCA

WB over Glass: Obvious Bias here BUT I think they can do it. Their last 2 games have tested them even if they lost. Hung with NS till the 4th who I think is better than Glass. Byrd also has done revenge to get back on Glass after their 31-7 dismantling and they won’t want Highfill to go out on 3 losses in a row.

Salem over JF: Defense wins titles and this game will show why. JF won’t be able to make enough stops to win the game.

Pulaski over GW: Neither team has shown that they can beat top teams but Pulaski is more tested and competed with NS and Blacksburg which tells me they have the edge

Of course, if that scenario happened, we could see if Highfill could pull another rabbit out of the hat against Salem. However, I don't see Byrd getting past Glass.

LCA vs. Blacksburg
Byrd vs Glass
Pulaski vs GW Danville
Jefferson Forest vs Salem

LCA @ Bburg
As Renaissance Man said, Rocco will have LCA well prepared with a great gameplan. If BBurg comes out flat or sloppy, LCA will give them a game. I think LCA will hang in early but Bburg will start to find their footing in the 2nd quarter and blow it open 2nd half.
Blacksburg 38 LCA 10

Byrd @ Glass
Byrd gets the rematch with Glass who eliminated them last season. I like Highfill, being his final season, I think the Terriers will come out striking and ready to play. Unfortunately Glass is better this year than last and they feast on one dimensional teams. It'll be over by halftime if Glass comes out focused.
Glass 35 Byrd 14

JF @ Salem
Jefferson Forest has been reeling on defense lately. Salem has found some momentum winning 5 in a row since BBurg loss. The JF ground game is going to score points. Can they keep Salem under 35? If they do they should have a chance to win. If Salem hits 40, they will win. Will be a physical game in the trenches. JF will score quick while Salem will control clock. Spartans wear them down.
Salem 45 Jefferson Forest 35

Pulaski @ GW
This is the most intriguing game IMO. Pulaski's physical trench play vs GW's speed. Watlington vs Horton will be a great match up both ways. I dont' know if field conditions contributed to GW's 15 point outing vs Halifax or what but they don't seem to be clicking on all cylinders lately. Defense wins championships though and the Eagles have been turning in some good defensive perfomances. I'll take the Eagles at home.
GW 21 Pulaski 17

Pulaski @ GW
This is the most intriguing game IMO. Pulaski's physical trench play vs GW's speed. Watlington vs Horton will be a great match up both ways. I dont' know if field conditions contributed to GW's 15 point outing vs Halifax or what but they don't seem to be clicking on all cylinders lately. Defense wins championships though and the Eagles have been turning in some good defensive perfomances. I'll take the Eagles at home.
GW 21 Pulaski 17[/QUOTE]

Field conditions were perfect yesterday. Offense just hasn’t clicked lately. But the potential is always there. Halifax did a great job bringing pressure with their linebackers yesterday and they tackled well.

Salem has improved and will be very dangerous in the regional games, but they are not as strong as the 2017, 2016, 2015, or 2014 Salem squads.

It’s strictly based on ratings. In order for Region C to host, a team other than Blacksburg or Glass would have to win Region D because both are rated higher than any seed in Region C.

Reactions: Gunz41
It doesnt rotate like it did in the past before we went to East and West, and it doesnt go by seed like we did when it was East and West.

The winner of C and D will play at the highest rated team, same for A and B

And every game they lost was very close. It could've gone either way.
Sure was. But there were reasons that Salem lost those close games. Reasons that I identified during Salem's scrimmages. Some of these things Salem has corrected or diminished. Other short comings are not fixable. Salem's ability to run between the tackles is their strength. It allows them to be a ball control team. This also helps their defense. But their lack of game breakers on the perimeter is a huge weakness. There have been glimpses occasionally of perimeter play, but nothing that you can count on. Salem just doesn't have a speed receiver that can scare defenses, stretch the field, or take short passes to the house. This and their youth in the secondary cost Salem three games. This is not something Mags can flip a switch and fix. However, Salem can kick your butt in the trenches and both backs 42 &20 run really hard. They can wear teams down and use ball control to keep that young secondary off the field. Their margin for error is the smallest it's been in five years. Still, a good football team, just limited.

I’m not willing to bet but, don’t be surprised if JF beats Salem. The JF wishbone offense is one of the best in all of Class 4 and it can be especially difficult to contain when it’s not something you are familiar with seeing. I know everyone talks about how weak the JF defense is but they tend to play well enough against an offense like Salem’s...pro style, power game. It’s the more athletic, spread teams that they struggle against. As @Renaissance man said, Salem will have to score 50 to win. Not a knock on the Salem D, it’s just the nature of the JF O.

I’m not willing to bet but, don’t be surprised if JF beats Salem. The JF wishbone offense is one of the best in all of Class 4 and it can be especially difficult to contain when it’s not something you are familiar with seeing. I know everyone talks about how weak the JF defense is but they tend to play well enough against an offense like Salem’s...pro style, power game. It’s the more athletic, spread teams that they struggle against. As @Renaissance man said, Salem will have to score 50 to win. Not a knock on the Salem D, it’s just the nature of the JF O.
Salem is familiar with this offense. I highly doubt it will be a shootout.

Salem is familiar with this offense. I highly doubt it will be a shootout.
Are they familiar? How so? Correct me if I'm wrong but, Salem hasn't faced a wishbone team since they beat JF in 2015.

And if it's not a shootout it's only because Salem doesn't match scores with JF.
Also, are you willing to make a friendly bet on the over/under for this game?

Reactions: Lewis918777
Are they familiar? How so? Correct me if I'm wrong but, Salem hasn't faced a wishbone team since they beat JF in 2015.
The coaches are familiar with the wishbone and will have the defense ready. JF was scoring at a high clip in 15 but only managed 21. I don’t think the game will be a shootout. 20-30 range is what I’m thinking. I could be wrong. Salem will grind the clock. If Salem scores quick then we may have a high scoring game.

Reactions: RKE Fan
Who did JF play that was anything like Salem? Very few teams left that run the I .

The coaches are familiar with the wishbone and will have the defense ready. JF was scoring at a high clip in 15 but only managed 21. I don’t think the game will be a shootout. 20-30 range is what I’m thinking. I could be wrong.
I agree the coaches may be familiar but the coaches aren't playing the game. These are two completely different teams than 2015. This JF offense is more balanced than 2015 and throws the ball really well off of play action. And you didn't answer my question, are you willing to make a friendly bet on the over/under?

Who did JF play that was anything like Salem? Very few teams left that run the I .
Brookville, Byrd, and Rustburg all run a variation of a power run game. May not be I formation every snap but it's the same concept.

Brookville, Byrd, and Rustburg all run a variation of a power run game. May not be I formation every snap but it's the same concept.
No it's not. The difference is huge in the blocking schemes and the use of a lead blocker. Those teams run the ball between the tackles but they don't do it like Salem. It's apples and oranges.

No it's not. The difference is huge in the blocking schemes and the use of a lead blocker. Those teams run the ball between the tackles but they don't do it like Salem. It's apples and oranges.
Uhhhh not sure if you have watched either three of those teams play but, all 3 use lead blockers. If you say they don't, please explain what it is they do.

I agree the coaches may be familiar but the coaches aren't playing the game. These are two completely different teams than 2015. This JF offense is more balanced than 2015 and throws the ball really well off of play action. And you didn't answer my question, are you willing to make a friendly bet on the over/under?
Why in the world would I make a bet on a high school football game? The teams will show up and both will be ready to play. The game will be won in the trenches. JF will have to win this game with Defense.

Reactions: RKE Fan
I heard Salem is bringing up some players from the undefeated JV team. That might be the X factor.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT