ADVERTISEMENT

Region D versus Region B Hypothetical Playoff

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Many people have debated which region is the toughest so I thought I would do a comparison. Just for fun and giggles who would come out on top?
Round #1
Game 1 #1 D Blacksburg vs. #4 B Eastern View
Game 2 #2 B Monacan vs. #3 D Salem
Game 3 #1B Louisa vs. #4 D GW Danville
Game 4 #2 D EC Glass vs. #3 B Dinwiddie

Round #2
Game 5 Winner of game #1 vs. winner game #2
Game 6 Winner of Game # 3 vs. Game #4

Round #3
Winner of game game 5 vs. winner of game 6.

Many people have debated which region is the toughest so I thought I would do a comparison. Just for fun and giggles who would come out on top?
Round #1

Round #2
Game 5 Winner of game #1 vs. winner game #2
Game 6 Winner of Game # 3 vs. Game #4

Round #3
Winner of game game 5 vs. winner of game 6.
All good match ups. I think the games could go either way.

Since no one will pull the trigger and it was my idea I will go first.

Game 1: Blacksburg in a close one. I like both qb's, but believe Blacksburg could stretch EV's defense.
Geme 2: Monacan by 6. Monacan's defense can handle the physical game of Salem and the Chiefs would attack Salem's young secondary.
Game 3:Louisa by 14. The Lions interior line play is superior to GW's and they have the athletes to match up with Graves and the Pooles.
Game 4: These two teams scrimmaged. Dinwiddie ran the ball effectively on EC Glass, but had trouble with Kendrick. EC Glass by a nose.

Game 5: Monacan wins this too. Their defensive backs are top notch and would take away the passing game of Blacksburg. The Chiefs mix of physical running and screens in space would be the difference in the game.

Game 6: This would a be a nasty match up and in reality could very well happen in the finals. Brandon Smith is the one defensive player who can single handily neutralize Kendrick. Hunter would do some damage for Louisa, but I believe the passing game of Glass would help them edge the Lions 14-13. A missed extra point is the difference.

Game 7: Glass defeats Monacan by 7 to win the title in a high scoring affair. 35-28. Monacan moves the ball on the ground and in the air, but can't stop the Hilltoppers running game. A late late pick six seals it for Glass.

Sorry @mbonape1. Have been pumping up Glass since August. Just something about them I like and they have the it factor. My only concern is their run defense.

Last edited:
Great write up!!! The margin between these teams is so slim... if you don’t play your absolute A game your gonna get sent home PERIOD!

Reactions: SFUWO and one man
Since no one will pull the trigger and it was my idea I will go first.

Game 1: Blacksburg in a close one. I like both qb's, but believe Blacksburg could stretch EV's defense.
Geme 2: Monacan by 6. Monacan's defense can handle the physical game of Salem and the Chiefs would attack Salem's young secondary.
Game 3:Louisa by 14. The Lions interior line play is superior to GW's and they have the athletes to match up with Graves and the Pooles.
Game 4: These two teams scrimmaged. Dinwiddie ran the ball effectively on EC Glass, but had trouble with Kendrick. EC Glass by a nose.

Game 5: Monacan wins this too. Their defensive backs are top notch and would take away the passing game of Blacksburg. The Chiefs mix of physical running and screens in space would be the difference in the game.

Game 6: This would a be a nasty match up and in reality could very well happen in the finals. Brandon Smith is the one defensive player who can single handily neutralize Kendrick. Hunter would do some damage for Louisa, but I believe the passing game of Glass would help them edge the Lions 14-13. A missed extra point is the difference.

Game 7: Glass defeats Monacan by 7 to win the title in a high scoring affair. 35-28. Monacan moves the ball on the ground and in the air, but can't stop the Hilltoppers running game. A late late pick six seals it for Glass.

Sorry @mbonape1. Have been pumping up Glass since August. Just something about them I like and they have the it factor. My only concern is their run defense.

I'm with you Navy. I've been on the Glass train since last year after they beat us in the season opener. I knew they were so young that they'd be really good this year. Woody and his staff have done a great job this season considering the coaching attrition they had in the offseason. They are poised to make a run IMO. They've got the best D-Line in 4D as well as the most electric offensive threat, Kendrick. The old adage goes, Defense wins championships. Glass has a great defense. The weakness is the size and inexperience of the outside linebackers in their base 4-3. Those two guys are quick and scrappy but if they run into a really big physical ground and pound team, I question how well those two guys will hold up for 4 quarters. The inside backer, while not TPatt, has come along as the season has progressed. He's a thumper for sure.
I don't question the defense Navy. I question whether or not Kendrick can win a game with his arm if they run into a team that can contain the run game. I think Kendrick has a quick release and throws a beautiful ball but for whatever reason, he's had some stretches of inaccuracy while throwing, namely the loss to Heritage. If his accuracy is good, Glass is as tough an out as you'll get in Class 4 IMO.

I'm with you Navy. I've been on the Glass train since last year after they beat us in the season opener. I knew they were so young that they'd be really good this year. Woody and his staff have done a great job this season considering the coaching attrition they had in the offseason. They are poised to make a run IMO. They've got the best D-Line in 4D as well as the most electric offensive threat, Kendrick. The old adage goes, Defense wins championships. Glass has a great defense. The weakness is the size and inexperience of the outside linebackers in their base 4-3. Those two guys are quick and scrappy but if they run into a really big physical ground and pound team, I question how well those two guys will hold up for 4 quarters. The inside backer, while not TPatt, has come along as the season has progressed. He's a thumper for sure.
I don't question the defense Navy. I question whether or not Kendrick can win a game with his arm if they run into a team that can contain the run game. I think Kendrick has a quick release and throws a beautiful ball but for whatever reason, he's had some stretches of inaccuracy while throwing, namely the loss to Heritage. If his accuracy is good, Glass is as tough an out as you'll get in Class 4 IMO.

These are basically my exact thoughts about Glass.

Since I have no dog in the house (not a fan of dog fights, so cant use that analogy), and this is only half the teams, what I really want to see for the entertainment of the board is these matchups of poster rivalries, even if their teams have never played. That way some have to eat some humble pie. It's a shame, and shame on them, that some of the guys talking the most have been sanctioned and didn't or couldn't come back. But I just have this sneaky feeling that if they were to perform at their smack talk level that they will come back. I'm sure all these wont happen, and probably cant, and not the teams I would say I would cheer for because of the good posters, but I want to see:

Lafayette vs Lake Taylor
Lafayette vs Dinwiddie
Louisa vs Eastern View
Sherando vs Louisa
Salem vs George Washington
Salem vs Sherando
George Washington vs Sherando

Might be missing one. I'll have my popcorn ready

I'll take Blacksburg 41-31. Eastern View is quite talented but I think going from Battlefield District play to arguably one of the best teams in the state gives the Bruins an advantage here, especially on offense. Blacksburg gets some points up early, but then EV settles in, all too late.

Salem 30 Monacan 23 Overtime. Back and forth battle but I'll give Salem the edge here Salem is younger, but extremely well coached and that Midlo loss for Monacan doesn't have me a huge believer.

Louisa 24 GW Danville 21. Louisa, like EV, will have a rough awakening after Jefferson District play and going to face a real defense. I'll give Louisa the edge just because of Brandon Smith, but don't worry, I love hoos and DSH equally.

EC Glass 28 Dinwiddie 27. This is the matchup I wanted to see the least because these might be my top 2 teams. I'll give Glass the edge because they're at home, and their defense might be the best in the state.

Blacksburg vs Salem.
Blacksburg 34 Salem 31. Rematch, we've all heard this one before. I will give Blacksburg the edge this year, however, seeing how young and inexperienced Salem really is.

Louisa vs EC Glass.
EC Glass 21 Louisa 14. Battle of defenses here, but I'll give Glass the edge because of their experienced and versatile QB. Hunter, as BN said, would do some major damage but I'll take the boys from midtown.

Blacksburg vs EC Glass.
EC Glass 28 Blacksburg 21.
There ya go. Hilltoppers champs. Let's see if they can do it for real.

I forgot to answer the original question though.

Blacksburg vs Eastern View. Blacksburg by 7+

Monacan vs Salem. I think Salem pulls out a tight one.

Louisa vs GW. Louisa by 10+

Dinwiddie vs Glass. Hardest one to pick. I'm going with Glass by a point.

Since we are going B vs D. I will say Glass pulls out a tight one over Dinwiddie and Louisa gets a bit of revenge. Then Glass beats Louisa.

Since I have no dog in the house (not a fan of dog fights, so cant use that analogy), and this is only half the teams, what I really want to see for the entertainment of the board is these matchups of poster rivalries, even if their teams have never played. That way some have to eat some humble pie. It's a shame, and shame on them, that some of the guys talking the most have been sanctioned and didn't or couldn't come back. But I just have this sneaky feeling that if they were to perform at their smack talk level that they will come back. I'm sure all these wont happen, and probably cant, and not the teams I would say I would cheer for because of the good posters, but I want to see:

Lafayette vs Lake Taylor
Lafayette vs Dinwiddie
Louisa vs Eastern View
Sherando vs Louisa
Salem vs George Washington
Salem vs Sherando
George Washington vs Sherando

Might be missing one. I'll have my popcorn ready
Pretty good list. You did miss one. Hamspear and Sherando definitely want another shot at Dinwiddie. Lafayette and EV might want a piece of Dinwiddie too. We have beaten Salem twice in the regular season, but I would like another shot at them when it matters. We also owe Louisa at the Jungle. With our youth it may take a couple of years for these two matchups to evolve though.

I will do A vs. C tomorrow. My goal is to give people an idea of what it would be like if we rotated semi final opponents. Shame on the VHSL.

Pretty good list. You did miss one. Hamspear and Sherando definitely want another shot at Dinwiddie. Lafayette and EV might want a piece of Dinwiddie too. We have beaten Salem twice in the regular season, but I would like another shot at them when it matters. We also owe Louisa at the Jungle. With our youth it may take a couple of years for these two matchups to evolve though.

I will do A vs. C tomorrow. My goal is to give people an idea of what it would be like if we rotated semi final opponents. Shame on the VHSL.
At least rotate the state semifinals. Travel shouldn’t be an issue when you get that deep into the playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT