ADVERTISEMENT

Regional Soccer Play.

CallMeCoach19

VaPreps Varsity
Mar 27, 2010
Region A: Round 1
Amelia v. Arcadia: Amelia will take this one to go one to face Maggie Walker...sorry.
Nandua v. Randolph Henry: Nandua should make it through here. Winner faces King William.
Bluestone v. Greensville: Bluestone will take this pretty handily. Winner to play Goochland...sorry.
Prince Edward v. Bruton: I think Bruton can squeeze this first round win through. Winner plays Poquonson.

Region C: Round 1

Radford v. James River: Radford will win by 3. Then they get to test out this Martinsville bully-machine.
Glenvar v. Fort Chiswell: Glenvar will win this and rest some starters. They will take on Giles second round. It was a pretty close one a few weeks back.
Appomattox v. Chatham: This is hard to pick. Either way the winner plays Nelson for the 3/4th time. I'll say Chatham just for a change.
Dan River v. Buckingham: Both got a bye they didn't really deserve (Well, DR did deserve it). So they will play each other on Monday next week.

The other two brackets aren't officially posted yet, and I don't want to post off of my numbers and find out I'm way off!

Mispicked already. Arcadia defeats Amelia on PK's to move on.
Nandua dominates this one in a 9-0 result.
Bluestone wins (can't find a score)
I also can not find the result of Bruton v. P. Edwards Co.

Mispicked already. Arcadia defeats Amelia on PK's to move on.
Nandua dominates this one in a 9-0 result.
Bluestone wins (can't find a score)
I also can not find the result of Bruton v. P. Edwards Co.

2A Region A 1st Round Boys Soccer: Prince Edward 1-4 Bruton Final

39' (B): Cardona (Hamman) 63' (PE): Hilliard 71' (B): Law (Shaw) 78' (B): Shaw (p) 79' (B): Law (Hamman)
Saves: (B) Blaser (3), (PE) Jones (3)

Bruton plays at Poquoson Thursday night, time TBD

Region A: Round 1
Amelia v. Arcadia: Amelia will take this one to go one to face Maggie Walker...sorry.
Nandua v. Randolph Henry: Nandua should make it through here. Winner faces King William.
Bluestone v. Greensville: Bluestone will take this pretty handily. Winner to play Goochland...sorry.
Prince Edward v. Bruton: I think Bruton can squeeze this first round win through. Winner plays Poquonson.

Region C: Round 1

Radford v. James River: Radford will win by 3. Then they get to test out this Martinsville bully-machine.
Glenvar v. Fort Chiswell: Glenvar will win this and rest some starters. They will take on Giles second round. It was a pretty close one a few weeks back.
Appomattox v. Chatham: This is hard to pick. Either way the winner plays Nelson for the 3/4th time. I'll say Chatham just for a change.
Dan River v. Buckingham: Both got a bye they didn't really deserve (Well, DR did deserve it). So they will play each other on Monday next week.

The other two brackets aren't officially posted yet, and I don't want to post off of my numbers and find out I'm way off!

Bluestone will give Goochland all they want - they just played last week - Goochland held on for 2-1 victory

Final boys soccer: Lee High 8, Stonewall Jackson 0 in the semifinals of the Shenandoah District Tournament.

Kyle Stenzel had 4 goals, while Thomas Otteni and Marcos Sasia both scored 2.

Cooper Yurish and Quinn Anderson both tallied an assist.

Cullen Wallace had the shutout.

Reactions: CallMeCoach19
Glenvar 8-0 Fort Chiswell: Glenvar will come to Pearisburg Monday night to face Giles. I just don't see them pulling the upset. Next year is a a year Glenvar will be the heavy favorite. Not 2019.
Radford 3-0 James River: They will head to Martinsivlle. I would give Radford only the smallest of chances, but still a chance to get through here.
Appomattox 4-0 Chatham: Winner ends their season Monday v. Nelson.
Graham 1-2 Richlands: In a feel good game that doesn't change seeding at all, Richlands pulls one out. Graham will host their first regional game regardless.
Poquoson 4-0 Bruton: Winner moves on to play Tuesday against Goochland
George Mason 5-0 Clarke Co: Mason simply reiterates why they will be top of Region B. Please gets get that matchup with RE Lee going.
Goochland 6-2 Bluestone: This is the result I felt was coming. Good teams shake off the stagnant water once knockout games come around. Now they play Poquonson.
There are a few scores still out there. MW v. Arcadia. King William v. Nandua. Hopefully the other brackets get put up today as well.

The only thing I know about Region D Boys is that Ridgeview goes to Graham in the quarterfinals... other than that, I have no clue about the rest of the bracket.

Prep soccer: Lee boys top Wilson Memorial for Shenandoah District title
  • By Bill Meade
STAUNTON — The Robert E. Lee High School boys soccer team rolled on Friday night, shutting out visiting Wilson Memorial 5-0 to claim the Shenandoah District Tournament championship.

It took most of the first half for the Leemen to put up the first goal, but after breaking through, Lee was not to be stopped.

"It took a while before we settled down, but then we started to play our game," said LHS head coach Homes Tehrani.

The breakthrough for Lee came with 7:41 remaining in the first half when after a corner kick, senior Thomas Otteni headed in a rebound after a hard shot from teammate Caleb King.

Five minutes later, Lee senior Marcos Sasia slotted a pass through to Virginia Tech-bound Kyle Stenzel, who put the Leemen up 2-0.

The second half began much the same way that the first finished, with Lee adding a third goal.

From the kickoff, the Leemen passed the ball around the pitch, probing for an opening. This time, King assisted Otteni with only 55 seconds elapsed as Lee kept possession the entire time.

Wilson goalkeeper Alex Perez, who was under pressure from the Leemen all game, stopped a hard shot which would have been the fourth Lee goal, but the Leemen continued to press the attack.

The goal eventually came as Cooper Yurish followed up a shot by Sasia at the 16:01 mark.

Lee's final goal came with 9:30 remaining with Sasia scoring on an assist from Isaiah Knopp.

"We spread them out well in the second half," Otteni said. "Our height helped us."

The Leemen remained undefeated on the season (19-0) while Wilson dropped to 16-3, with the Hornets only losses coming at the feet of Lee.

"After the start, we calmed down and kept the ball," Stenzel said. "We played the ball really well out of the air."

Despite the loss, the Hornets also move on to regional play on Monday. Wilson will host Central-Woodstock at 7:30 after the Wilson girls' match.

Meanwhile, the Leemen, hoping to make another state tournament title chase, host Strasburg at noon on Monday.

"We held our own," said Wilson head coach Brad Wygant. "I was really proud of our back three (Garrett Mongold, Ryan Ingersoll and and Noah Bowman and Perez (goalkeeper) owned his position."

Wygant noted that all three games against Lee were similar. Wilson lost 3-0 and 4-0 in regular season games.

"The most difficult thing about playing Lee is that they don't have a weak spot," Wygant said. "Hopefully, we can win our next two games and play them again."

Lee lost in the state semifinal last season to George Mason after being undefeated to that point and is looking to push further this season with a senior-laden lineup.

"We have to keep the intensity up," Tehrani said.

EDITOR'S PICK TOP STORY
Region 2C Boys Soccer Tournament: Martinsville holds on for win over Radford to advance to semifinals

5cec91f3ea9d9.image.jpg

Martinsville's Reese Bell takes a kick during Monday's 3-2 win over Radford in the Region 2C tournament quarterfinals. Bulletin photo by Cara Cooper▲

By Cara Cooper
11 min ago
After jumping out to a quick 2-0 lead and holding it through the first half, Martinsville’s boys soccer team twice allowed Radford to get within a goal before holding on the final two minutes for a 3-2 win in the Region 2C quarterfinals Monday at Smith River Sports Complex.

“We came out really well, from throwing the ball, possession, controlling the ball,” Scouras said. “And I don’t know, we just kind of let off the gas a little bit. We always talked about that 2-nothing lead, that’s always a famous quote from everybody, and sure enough they snuck back in the game.”

Martinsville senior Wilson Bowles scored a goal, and assisted on a second to fellow senior Khalil Travis to go up by two in the first 10 minutes of play. The Bulldogs maintained possession throughout the first half, but couldn’t find the back of the net, thanks in part to a strong outing by Radford goalkeeper Thor Sproule, who made save after save to keep Martinsville at bay.

Their goalkeeper played an outstanding game. Outstanding,” Scouras said. “Hats off to him, we had some shots. And the first half we were playing with everything and he made some really good saves and held off a couple headers that were going in.”

In the first minute of the second half, Radford finally broke through on a corner kick by Mason Sproule that found Zane Rupe in front of the goal. But Martinsville didn’t let the single-goal lead last long at all. Less than a minute later, Khalil Travis found a ball in front of the goal and put it in for the answer.

“We told them and told them they’re (Radford) really good on set pieces and sure enough they get a goal and then Khalil responds back,” Scouras said. “That was big, the third goal we got. Right after their goal, that was huge.”

Martinsville had a chance to take the lead to three midway through the second half. Jaedyn McKinney got past the Radford keeper and put up a shot that hit one post, rolled across the goal line, and hit the other post before going out of bounds.

“Jaedyn, my gosh. I’ve never seen anybody hit two bars,” Scouras said. “The goalie was on the ground. I’ve never seen that in 32 years. An open goal, that’s just bad luck. That would have been really nice to have that and go up 4-1, but it didn’t happen.”

Radford scored one final time with two minutes to play, and had a couple other chances to tie the score in the closing seconds, but saves by Michael Devora in goal and strong play by the Bulldogs’ defense was enough for the win.

“We just kind of let off the pressure a little bit and that came back to bite us,” Scouras said. “They didn’t give up. They played hard. Radford didn’t give up. I knew they wouldn’t. They don’t. In everything they set out to do they play hard, and they always will, they always have. So I knew that wasn’t going to happen. I’m just trying to convince these kids you’ve got to play.”

Martinsville not only preserves its unbeaten record, they now moves on to the region semifinals, just one win from making the VHSL Class 2 state tournament.

“We’ll be able to play. And if the motivation to make the state tournament, if that’s not enough I don’t know what will be for next Wednesday,” Scouras said. “Because that’s it. We set our goal of trying to be playing in June. And if we win Wednesday we’re playing in June. So it’s up to them. I hope they respond well.”

The Bulldogs (18-0-2) will take on Dan River (12-4-1) on Wednesday in the region semifinals. Game time is set for 6 p.m. at Smith River Sports Complex.

In the other semifinal, Nelson County will take on Giles, also at SRSC immediately following the Bulldogs’ games. The winners of both games will automatically qualify for the state tournament, and will play each other for the region championship at SRSC on Thursday.

Region 2C Quarterfinals - Boys Soccer

Dan River 5 Buckingham 2
Nelson County 7 Appomattox 1
Martinsville 3 Radford 2
Giles 9 Glenvar 1

Semifinals Wednesday at Smith River Sports Complex

Dan River vs. Martinsville 6pm
Giles vs. Nelson County 7:30pm

Region Final - Thursday, May 30 at 7:30pm

Region 2C Quarterfinals - Girls Soccer
Nelson County 4 Dan River 1
Appomattox County def. Chatham by Forfeit (not enough players)
Radford 4 Glenvar 0
James River 5 Giles 0

Semis Wed. at Smith River SC
Nelson County vs. Radford 6pm
James River vs. Appomattox County 7:30pm

Region 2C Girls Final will be Thursday (May 30th) at Smith River Sports Complex at 6pm.

Richlands 12-1 Battle
Graham 8-0 Ridgeview: I look for these two to represent Region D in State
Gate City 4-2 Lebanon
Union 4-3 Marion
George Mason 15-0 East Rockingham: This final with Lee will be great to watch.

RE Lee won 17-0 over Strasburg, advancing to Region 2B Boys Soccer Semi on Wednesday evening.

Stenzel 5 Goals, 2 Assists
Nunez 3 Goals
T. Otteni 2 Goal, 3 Assists

Also scoring: Sasia, C Otteni, Yurish, Murray, Anderson, Knopp, Lowman

That is one heck of a result!
Tonight we have several good games in Region C and D.
Nelson Co. and Giles play. Both are undefeated, so both will probably be trying to make a statement.
Martinsville will have Dan River: Not as tall of an order, but still not a game to rest on. Martinsville made easy work of Radford despite the close score line. They should be rested and ready. Also if anyone wants to get a good laugh check out the Radford High Soccer Facebook posts. The whining and inaccuracy is on par with cable news. To be clear Glenvar's Keeper was 1st team all district Keeper!

Also Maggie Walker parks Nandua 4-0 to move on to Region A finals

Last edited:
Region 2B Boys Soccer Semi - Final RE Lee 6 Clarke County 0

Future member of
@HokiesMSoccer
Kyle Stenzel with the Hat Trick.

D7xb9RNXYAIFfFg

Lee moves on to Region 2B Final vs George Mason / Wilson Memorial winner

Congrats to the Graham boys soccer team on defeating Union tonight 4-3 and advancing to the Region Championship

The victory also clinches a spot in the state tournament next week

GIRLS SOCCER, 2B SF:
@SDHS_Athletics
@LurayHighSchool

Allison Quick had two goals for the Cougars and Lyndsay Harris had another. Kaycee Linke had one assist while Emma Gallaugher had seven saves.

Cougars travel to
@gmhssports
on Friday for Region 2B championship game.

D7xrHFoX4AAzDKG

Next up, the region championship game on Friday vs Lee at 5pm at home

Dan River’s Region 2C boys soccer matchup against Martinsville has been delayed due to storms sweeping through the area. Both teams were tied at 0-0 seven minutes into the game. At least a two-hour delay.

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER HALF: Martinsville 1, Dan River 1

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER CORRECTION: Khalil Travis had the goal for Martinsville on an assist by Reese Bell. Ethan Lewis had the goal for Dan River on an assist by Luke White

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER: Khalil Travis scores again for Martinsville off of a corner kick by Isac Flores. Bulldogs lead Dan River 2-1 with 24 minutes to play

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER: Weird moment here at SRSC. Martinsville scored a goal, it was callee offsides, but after a discussion between the refs they have gave the goal back. So The Bulldogs lead 3-1 with 18 minutes to play.

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER: Martinsville is in the zone now. Reese Bell scores one right in front of the goal to extend the Bulldogs lead to 4-1 with 13 mins to play

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER FINAL: Martinsville 4, Dan River 1

Khalil Travis with the hat trick for the Bulldogs

The Bulldogs advance to the Class 2 state tournament.

They'll play the winner of Nelson/Giles tomorrow for the region championship

Great post, guys! Thanks for saving me tons of time this morning!
As far as the Martinsville v. DR game, I'll say this. Martinsville was a very talented squad and the score was spot on to that statement. However, I still have to give Dan River Goal of the Night. That flick was brilliant.

Giles defeated a very tough Nelson squad 3-0. This was Nelson's first loss of the season, and they, logically, took it hard. A well fought win by the Spartans. That game ended just before midnight. Now Giles will turn around and play 20 hours later. Shew! Post season fun.
If legs hold out, this, Region D, and B finals will be some great fun to watch. Great Job to all remaining teams.

Reactions: pizzzzza
REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER: Weird moment here at SRSC. Martinsville scored a goal, it was callee offsides, but after a discussion between the refs they have gave the goal back. So The Bulldogs lead 3-1 with 18 minutes to play.

REGION 2C BOYS SOCCER: Martinsville is in the zone now. Reese Bell scores one right in front of the goal to extend the Bulldogs lead to 4-1 with 13 mins to play
Sounds like the same jackass officials they usually have at the complex

OK.
Region A: Maggie Walker comes in victorious over Poquonson. Score was 3-1. I had faith in MW to win this one, but all they ensured was a FORMIDDABLE first round matchup.
Region B: George Mason 1-0 RE Lee. I went to the C final. A friend of mine went to the B final. He said this was a great match that could easily be the other way. He also said this will be the state final rematch. I have not seen either play live, so I guess I'll just defer to him.
Region C: Martinsville 2-1 Giles in OT. Giles started super flat. It was like they were on sand and Martinsville was on turf. It got better as the match went on, but that first half goal ended up being the critical. I look for both schools to do very well against their Region D opponent.

Reactions: pizzzzza
Region D: Graham 5-1 Richlands: Martinsville will dispatch Richlands rather easily. They may sneak a point or two in on them, but that Bulldog offense just creates too many chances at this level. (Semifinal round will be very different)
Graham v. Giles Part III is a toss up. Giles own the first 2 by a point each time. I think both squads are playing well and very different from those first two matches. I'm going to give Giles a slight edge with pedigree, experience, and coaching. However, let's see how they overcome that Regional loss.

Reactions: vtscubasteve13
ADVERTISEMENT