ADVERTISEMENT

Regional strength

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
Obviously, not knowing as much about Region A teams and I am not at all predicting state champion out of region d because we saw what happened last year but early on it sure looks like region D is the strongest region with Blacksburg, Byrd, Glass, Jefferson Forest, Pulaski County, Salem, George Washington. What does everybody else think? It might mean that state champion might come out of another region.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Obviously, not knowing as much about Region A teams and I am not at all predicting state champion out of region d because we saw what happened last year but early on it sure looks like region D is the strongest region with Blacksburg, Byrd, Glass, Jefferson Forest, Pulaski County, Salem, George Washington. What does everybody else think? It might mean that state champion might come out of another region.

1. Region D
2. Region B
3. Region C
4. Region A

I put Region D first because despite me thinking the top 4 of Region B are slightly better than the top 4 of Region D, Region D is overall a deeper region with good teams with not-so-good records due to the high level of competition they play all year.

Most years I'd say that Region A would be above Region C but from what I've seen they're having a bit of a down year despite having a couple really good teams. I wish Woodgrove was staying when Tuscarora arrives in Region C next year but oh well.

I am curious why you think Region B is above Region D with regards to top 4 respectively. I am not as familiar and was interested in a educated view. If Region D considers Salem, GW, Glass, Pulaski or JF as top 4, that is a go starting point.

I am curious why you think Region B is above Region D with regards to top 4 respectively. I am not as familiar and was interested in a educated view. If Region D considers Salem, GW, Glass, Pulaski or JF as top 4, that is a go starting point.

In no particular order I'd put these teams as the top 4 in each region:
Region B: Dinwiddie, Eastern View, Louisa, and Monacan
Region D: Salem, GW Danville, E.C. Glass, and Jefferson Forest

All of those teams have state championship aspirations but I have more questions about E.C. Glass than I do the four Region B teams. I put Region D ahead of Region B in large part because I think beyond the top 4 it's a tougher region overall. Blacksburg, William Byrd, and Pulaski all have good teams this year.

1. Region D
2. Region B
3. Region C
4. Region A

I put Region D first because despite me thinking the top 4 of Region B are slightly better than the top 4 of Region D, Region D is overall a deeper region with good teams with not-so-good records due to the high level of competition they play all year.

Most years I'd say that Region A would be above Region C but from what I've seen they're having a bit of a down year despite having a couple really good teams. I wish Woodgrove was staying when Tuscarora arrives in Region C next year but oh well.

I would potentially agree with this...

What are you back 5-8 in region D though?

In no particular order: Blacksburg, Pulaski, and William Byrd. That's only 5-7 but I'm not sure who I'd have at 8. Amherst or LCA could fill that spot. I heard LCA played Danville tougher than expected, but that it would've been a bigger margin of victory had Danville not made some mistakes that they're unlikely to make later in the season. Amherst is Amherst and they've played three of the strongest programs in the state through the first three weeks.

Top to bottom I'd say B and D are really close though. Region C is much, much better than last year but I wouldn't put the region as a whole on the same level of the top two.

@Shruikan - So I think your 5 & 6 (Region D) is stronger but not so sure on your 7-8. I might take our 7/8 against Amherst, LCA, or Polaski etc. It would be close.

Overall I agree with your assessment that B is toughest 1-4 but D is the best overall if you take the top 8. Both B and D are very good 1-4 though!

Last edited:

5-8 will probably be Byrd, Pulaski, I think Salem is a top 4 seed but I’ll will add them if they lose to Northside, Blacksburg or Pulaski), and Charlottesville makes it.
The region will more than likely look like:
1. Blacksburg 10-0
2. Glass 9-1
3. GW 9-1
4. JF 8-2
5. Salem 8-2
6. Pulaski 7-3
7. Byrd 8-2
8. Charlottesville 5-5

Reactions: lyhsports
5-8 will probably be Byrd, Pulaski, I think Salem is a top 4 seed but I’ll will add them if they lose to Northside, Blacksburg or Pulaski), and Charlottesville makes it.
1. Blacksburg 10-0
2. Glass 9-1
3. GW 9-1
4. JF 8-2
5. Salem 8-2
6. Pulaski 7-3
7. Byrd 8-2
8. Charlottesville 5-5

Question is could Huguenot beat Charlottesville. D may actually Be strong all the way 5-8 now that I see how you have it laid out. Let’s see how Powahatan does against Louisa and C’ville. They may be our 7-8th teams

1. Blacksburg 10-0
2. Glass 9-1
3. GW 9-1
4. JF 8-2
5. Salem 8-2
6. Pulaski 7-3
7. Byrd 8-2
8. Charlottesville 5-5

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT