James River (5-2) Remaining Schedule
Monacan (3-2)
Clover Hill (2-4)
Midlothian (5-0)

Thomas Dale (4-1) Remaining Schedule
Hopewell (3-1)
at Petersburg (2-2)
Dinwiddie (4-0)
VHSL mistakenly counted Oscar Smith's game..

VHSL Rules Handbook....
68-4-6 (2) When the Rating Scale is used to designate teams for championship playoffs,
only games between members of the Virginia High School League, other public schools and
non-public Virginia schools shall be counted.

Reactions: CRF4Dan
Falcettik beat me to it :

Woodrow Wilson is a public school in DC. They have played Yorktown for several years, and the points that were released from VHSL yesterday include points for Yorktown beating Wilson.

Also Oscar Smith was credited with points (19) for losing to St John Bosco.

Many other examples, especially in the lower classes near the state border.

I think this is worded poorly, however there is a provision in the rule that seems to include out of state teams.

68-4-6 (2) When the Rating Scale is used to designate teams for championship playoff s,
only games between members of the Virginia High School League, other public schools and
non-public Virginia schools shall be counted. The following provision applies:
(1) It is the VHSL member school's responsibility to inform the VHSL office by May
1 of the following:
(a) Non-VHSL opponent's schedule.

(b) VHSL enrollment standards for classification will be applied so as to deter-
mine the awarding of bonus rating points to the VHSL member school.

68-4-6 (3) Penalty-Failure to comply with 68-4-6 (2) (1) and (2) shall result in the school
being fi ned as stated in 30-5-1.

PM 68-4-6 (3) FOOTBALL/Out-of-State Football Schedules (9-05)-For counting out-
of-state school's 10 games of an 11-game schedule, use the following criteria: (a) if a game
occurs before the fi rst contest date set by the VHSL, it is not counted; (b) if no game is played
before the fi rst contest date set by VHSL, do not count the 11th and subsequent games.
Note: Any state in which a VHSL member school plays that allows Endowment Games,
those schools may exchange a win in accordance with that state's rules which will be rec-
ognized in the VHSL football ratings, unless that out-of-state school should subsequently
exchange a loss with a VHSL member school for a win with another opponent, the VHSL
Rating Scale will recognize that out-of-state game exchanged for VHSL rating purposes
and not count the fi rst game of the season for the out-of-state opponent since that game
traditionally is outside of the VHSL playing dates.

The issue is that Private Schools that are out of State do not count for VHSLpower rankings. In-State Private Schools, Public Schools both in-State & Out of State both are counted for power rankings.. We have been through this before with DeMatha..

I reached out to the VHSL representative & this should get resolved soon. From the tone of her response, there must be a lot of adjustments they are dealing with for this 1st run of their report.

I have a lot of respect for people that have to keep track of this!

BTW, if I did it properly, Oscar Smith's updated number would be 30.000. They had 106 + 33 bonus points for 5 games.. Take away 10 points & the 9 bounus points = 120.00 then divide 4 games. We will see.

Last edited:
Reactions: SV-Viking4
Agreed.. He must be an accountant. I like the results but I can't muster the passion to run the data for Reg A & B

Wellllll, somehow i was wrong.. The response from the VHSL below:

"I checked with the California Association and St. John Bosco is a full member of their association even though they are a private school – much like Liberty Christian Academy is for the Virginia High School League. We have included private schools who are members of their association in our interpretation 68-4-6."

So, as it stands today, Manchester would host the Regional Championship game! But I suspect these numbers will get tighter as the season progresses. Should be fun to track..

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT