ADVERTISEMENT

River heads 41 Altavista 0

Well first and foremost, Riverheads is one word please. Moving on to the details, the Gladiators scored on two sustained drives in the first quarter and then converted three uniquely different turnovers into touchdowns to jump to a 34-0 halftime lead and polish off the defending state champs in impressive fashion. However, as well as the Gladiator offense performed, this one belonged to the defense.

It was RHS' first shutout of the season, and at halftime, I was told that the Gladiators had 283 yards of offense and Altavista had minus 4. The newspaper is giving the final total as 461 to 57, so the words "total domination" come to mind to describe this one. Altavista did not get its first first down of the game until the 4-minute mark of the third quarter......after the running clock had already been put in play.

The Gladiators constantly swarmed to the ball on defense and the only play I can honestly remember that gave the visiting fans anything at all to cheer about was a nice one-handed grab of a pass midway through the fourth quarter that got them down to the RHS 20 yard line. But they were hit with a holding penalty and a huge sack and that scoring threat died before it could get started.

As for the RHS offense, it was clicking on all cylinders as our steady trio of running backs (Colt Miller, Harrison Schaefer and Landon Diehl) moved the ball at will and combined for five of the six Gladiator scores. Miller got the honors on the first possession as he capped off an 80 yard drive that took less than three minutes.

After a three and out, the Gladiators then drove 68 yards on the next possession with Schaefer taking it in for the score. Tristan Robson added the two PATs to make it 14-0 after one.

As the second quarter unfolded, the Gladiators committed their only miscue of the night as they coughed up the ball near midfield. However, Altavista fumbled it right back to them on the very next play. 5-6 plays later, Diehl scored the first of his two TDs to put the Big Red ahead 21-0.

On the next Colonels series, we had the most entertaining play of the night, although it did not result in any points. The Gladiators had stiffened on defense and forced Altavista into a punting situation. The Big Red rushed the punter and blocked the kick straight up into the air a good 25-30 feet. Taz Miller almost had time to check his e-mails waiting for the ball to finally come back down and when it did, he broke one tackle and took it into the end zone.

For the second time this season however, a Taz score was nullified by a penalty, as the Gladiators were called for a block in the back. The penalty only moved them back to the 30 so they scored anyway on Schaefer's second TD of the evening to make it 28-0.

Since they had already capitalized on both a fumble and a blocked punt, the only thing left was an interception and Garrett Campbell obliged on the next Colonels series, putting RHS back in business around their own 40. Only a minute or so was left in the half however, but the Big Red made the most of it as Campbell lofted a pass down the right side line, RHS' only attempt of the night, and Ridge Stokes hauled it in for about a 50 yard gain. He was not able to take it in for the score but Campbell did on the keeper for a 34-0 RHS lead. Robson's PAT attempt was thwarted by a mishandled snap.

Altavista then opened the second half with a three and out, and the Gladiators wrapped up the scoring with Diehl's second TD. Coach Casto cleared the bench from that point and several backs of the future padded the stats even further, including a nice run by Jackson Shover that almost gave RHS its seventh score of the evening.

This was the third playoff game between these two teams in recent years and RHS has won two of them. However, technically the all-time series between them is tied at 2-2 because of a regular season game played in 1969, before most of you were born. Altavista won that one 40-0.

Next up for the Gladiators will be a date next weekend, presumably Friday night, against Central Lunenburg, which outlasted Franklin tonight. Fans still buzz about the classic playoff game in 2000 when the Chargers and the Big Red were tied at 7, 14, 21, and 28 before RHS won on a field goal on the last play of the game. Something tells me next week's game will not be that dramatic.

Last edited:
I know it's one word my phone auto corrects it into two words. Otherwise a very good breakdown of the game. Those young men will be a tough draw for anyone in 1A. Solid drives all night long.

Cool. I didn't realize you were there. I assumed you were some kind of wire-service person just listing scores from around the state.

Only needed to listen in to Riverheads first two drives to know that you guys were going to walk the dog last night. Y'all got the 5 yard false start inside the 10 yard line on the second drive, bringing up a second and long. Then still only needed two plays to gain that back and get a TD...that drive ended the ballgame from what I could tell.

I know it's one word my phone auto corrects it into two words. Otherwise a very good breakdown of the game. Those young men will be a tough draw for anyone in 1A. Solid drives all night long.
I think a tough draw for anyone , 1A, 2A , if they can play like they did last night .

I noticed Franklin rushed for 317 yards vs. your next opponent, Lunenburg. That should have you guys chomping at the bit. LOL!

I think a tough draw for anyone , 1A, 2A , if they can play like they did last night .

Agreed. Will take a lot of hard playing and a good bit of luck to keep those young men out of Salem. Definitely a pleasure to watch a team work together and play as one. Not sure perhaps longtimer knows but I think Riverheads scored on every drive but one. Anyway Thanks to both teams for giving your all for us fans every Friday night. Without you I would have to stay home and watch C.S.I. with the wife.

Agreed. Will take a lot of hard playing and a good bit of luck to keep those young men out of Salem. Definitely a pleasure to watch a team work together and play as one. Not sure perhaps longtimer knows but I think Riverheads scored on every drive but one. Anyway Thanks to both teams for giving your all for us fans every Friday night. Without you I would have to stay home and watch C.S.I. with the wife.
They are really fun to watch . Not sure how the coaches keep the kids focused after a week off . They look pretty good , but cant let up at all ! Coach has been there done that so I think they will stay focused . Not sure whats coming next but, my money is on the RED TEAM TO GO ALL THE WAY !!!!!!!!!!!!

hope its fri night lights in Greenville, yeah and we beat them with a fieldgoal, they r out of school on fri so they should play on fri, should be a good game

Max Preps says this will be a Saturday game but I am not sure that has been determined yet. Like others have said, most Riverheads playoff games at home are on Friday night. In fact, I am not sure I can ever remember us hosting a playoff game on a Saturday.

To add to nail driver coment about scoring all but one drive , the only drive not scored on was all jv players that moved up and prob would have scored if they were not running the clock out

Max Preps says this will be a Saturday game but I am not sure that has been determined yet. Like others have said, most Riverheads playoff games at home are on Friday night. In fact, I am not sure I can ever remember us hosting a playoff game on a Saturday.
Game is Friday Night , confirmed !

I was hoping it would be a Friday game. A Saturday game would interfere with watching UVa/VT.

But we know that will be 12th in a row for VT. It should be another emotional game for VT. It was a HORRIBLE weekend for me for sports team. SD lost Friday night, I went to a nephews little league super bowl game, (not the ACQC one) and they lost, then VT lost, then UNC basketball lost, then my Buckeyes. I think we just need to redo this weekend haha

I will take your word for that, since you are 4 or 5 months younger than I am and therefore might have a "slightly" better memory!

I was at the Arcadia game on a Saturday. They had some talented players but entirely too many "Me-First" attitudes an as soon as they got popped one good time they laid down

Are the Riverheads running the single wing now? Had heard they were, haven't seen them play since championship game against east mont.

Since Casto hasn't changed his offense in the 20 years he has been there, I think you can say that is a safe bet!

RHS runs the Wing T and slips into Double Wing at times. As with all teams there are some "special" packages/ plays but not many. As Casto has said in multiple interviews, "We are going to run our offense, if you stop it then you will win. If not, it's going to be a long night". I know some hate this type of O, but getting hit with 35-45 running plays while on D in a first half usually takes the starch out of a D.

Happy Thanksgiving

#RollPride

Teams traveling to G'ville need to know they have a play clock as well. It will play tricks with your offense the first time you play there. Coaches should prepare for that when going there.

Thanks for adding that WilsonFootball. I would think it helps but I suppose it could mess with a teams rhythm if they weren't use to it.

Yes, it actually does. I know we had some problems with it last year. The seconds seemed to go by pretty fast. I will admit, it is a nice addition to the field and all teams should look into adding them. This would take the responsibility off of officials as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT