ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads JVs topple Gap 36-16

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
The nasty weather that is expected to last over the next few days held off long enough tonight for RHS to take care of business against the Bison. Zach Smiley was almost a one-man wrecking crew for the Big Red as I believe he scored four of the five touchdowns and perhaps one or two conversions as well.

His biggest score of the night came in the final minute of the second quarter. The Bison had just driven 90 yards to score their first TD and cut an early 14-0 lead down to 14-8. "Big Mo" was perhaps about to switch over to the visitors, but Mr. Smiley took care of that when he hauled in the kickoff, raced up the near sideline in front of his teammates, got the block he needed around the Bison 30 and went the distance.

That made the score 22-8 at the break and RHS settled the issue by scoring on their opening possession of the second half. Each team then added one final TD to account for the final score.

The ground game was the major focus of each team as you could count the total number of passes on one hand. There were a couple of injury stoppages here and there but to my knowledge none of them were serious.

The victory moves the Big Red to 4-1 on the season and now all eyes turn to the Varsity game at the Gap. That is of course on the schedule for Friday night, but as they say "stay tuned" because every weather forecast you hear sounds worse than the one before, and even though we got lucky tonight, Friday may not be such an accommodating day for anyone in Virginia, not just the Gladiators and Bison. I am sure both ADs will keep a watchful eye on the situation and see to it that we play at the best possible time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT