ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads or The Field

Who will win the Class 2 Championship???

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

VolNation85

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Nov 29, 2013
Will Riverheads make it 8 championships in a row now that they are in Class 2? If not, who wins Class 2 this year?

I think there is a lot of parity in 2A and the Riverheads program is definitely in the mix. I would say Graham has to be given the nod right now as the “To be the man you gotta beat the man”…however Union, Radford , Glenvar and Appomattox all have well established playoff quality programs as does Riverheads. Not forgetting talented teams like Buckingham, Gretna and some Eastern/Hampton area teams….so I take the field. But, I would not be at all shocked if Riverheads went all the way.

I think there is a lot of parity in 2A and the Riverheads program is definitely in the mix. I would say Graham has to be given the nod right now as the “To be the man you gotta beat the man”…however Union, Radford , Glenvar and Appomattox all have well established playoff quality programs as does Riverheads. Not forgetting talented teams like Buckingham, Gretna and some Eastern/Hampton area teams….so I take the field. But, I would not be at all shocked if Riverheads went all the way.
You did not mention Central Woodstock. Just curious if just don’t think of them as a contender. They were runner up to Graham last year and are probably better this year.

Going with the field, as others have mentioned, lot of good teams. Graham's offensive line has been a work in progress all year long. They have several athletes that can take it to the house, but the O-Line is young (good size and strength) - but lack good technique. I still think they could be one of several who could win it all. I personally lean towards Union or Radford. Union is very physical and athletic, very well coached and perhaps the most well-rounded team in the field.

Reactions: VolNation85
You did not mention Central Woodstock. Just curious if just don’t think of them as a contender. They were runner up to Graham last year and are probably better this year.
No slight on Central Woodstock- I’ve not seen them play …just an oversight. What was the score last year with Graham?

Radford will play Graham in the semifinals
Too close to call
Riverheads will play Luneberg Central in semi finals with Riverheads pulling out the win. The winner of Radford and Graham will win it all
Not taking anything away from Union, but Graham had a lot of injuries that they don’t have now when they played before!!

Too close to call
Riverheads will play Luneberg Central in semi finals with Riverheads pulling out the win. The winner of Radford and Graham will win it all
Not taking anything away from Union, but Graham had a lot of injuries that they don’t have now when they played before!!
Central Lunenburg in the semifinals 👀. I’ve been wrong before but I think that’s a stretch with seasoned teams like Poquoson and King William.

Too close to call
I think you are right on Graham and Union. I would be surprised if Graham is not standing a top region D. The game should be within a TD either way.

I am curious to see Gretna and a healthy Appomattox.
Only reason I see Radford not making it out of C is they have not been challenged all year.
Alleghany is their best win. Which I think they could surprise someone in their region.
Radford plays James River this week who Radford beat 55-0 in the first half. They need to stay healthy this week and stay motivated as the competition gets better.

Too close to call
Have Radford figured out where they will play their home game(s) later in the playoffs due to their stadium situation? I'm assuming a Radford/Graham matchup would be played at Pulaski County?

Have Radford figured out where they will play their home game(s) later in the playoffs due to their stadium situation? I'm assuming a Radford/Graham matchup would be played at Pulaski County?
I heard they are bringing in more temporary seating to fill the seat capacity requirements. No clue if that is just for the first couple of rounds or what the plan is. I just know for tonight, there will be extra seating available. Not that James River is bringing more than 30 people.

Will Riverheads make it 8 championships in a row now that they are in Class 2? If not, who wins Class 2 this year?
I would take the field because there is so much parity, but no surprise if Riverheads were to win the whole thing. Great program and great team discipline and just all around good coaching with good football players. You add a major Div 1 talent to that mix and you get state titles. I like Riverheads chances in the East because Central, Poquoson, Clarke, Buckingham, King William all are heavy run teams and that goes well in November. In the finals (if Riverheads takes the East) they are going to see the ball thrown a whole lot more. I still wouldn't count out Appo, but Graham, Union, and Radford are favorites in the West and these are putting the ball in the air far more than any teams in the East and has great speed with the guys catching the ball. Even Appomattox which likes to run it mostly, throws it more than the teams mentioned above in the East, so this matchup will be tough, but Riverheads can certainly win it. Going to be lots of teams in the mix.

Reactions: VolNation85
I would not put the cart before the horse. Number 1 seed and 12-0 Riverheads lost at home in 2014 to an underrated King William 28-27 in round 2 so there are no guarantees to even get to a regional title game. Anybody can be beat at any time. Madison has weapons and has shown flashes of what they can do so tonight isn’t a slam dunk.

Good luck to all the young men that may be playing their last time tonight. There is only a short window for most to put on pads and strap in for organized violence. God bless each an every one of them. Thank you for allowing us another year to enjoy the game we love

Reactions: RoJoHokie and TS69
For you guys in Region B as well as Poquoson in Region A, the King William team from early in the year ain't the same team by any means. I've watched them some throughout their season and their offense looks totally different and of all the teams that have improved from game 1 through game 10 or 11 in Class 2, KW may have the argument for the team that has improved the most. Dangerous football team coming to Poquoson, Virginia next weekend (if KW gets past Bruton and I think they will easily do that).

Reactions: kwhs95fan
What happened to Radfords’ stadium? That was one of the nicest facilities in the state at one point

Way way too many great teams left to take one v the field. Riverheads could win it all but they’ll have their hands full from here on out. CC then a potential matchup with the team that beat them in CW. After that, tough Poquoson and KW teams. If you survive that you get rewarded by a team like Radford, Graham, Union or Appo, teams with tons of strength at LOS and speedy everywhere.

I'll be pulling for whoever comes out of region D, but nobody is a clear favorite. Going to be interesting to say the least.

Reactions: TS69
And they already beat Riverheads in a tight game

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT