ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Squeezes Past Gap 7-6

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
Just about any game in any sport between county rivals Riverheads and Buffalo Gap will have its momentum swings and drama and tonight's game on the Gladiator diamond was no exception as the teams exchanged big innings midway through the game and then finally settled the issue on a passed ball and a called third strike. For the Gladiators it was their fourth straight win and keeps them on track for a high seed in the upcoming Region B playoffs.

Riverheads never trailed in this one, although the Bison fought back twice to tie the game. After Landon Lightner came around to start the scoring in the bottom of the first, things were quiet for a while as Gladiator starter Aidan Miller was in full control of the Bison bats. But in the top of the third a solo shot that just cleared the fence in left center tied the score for the visitors.

The Big Red then wasted little time in regaining control as they exploded for five runs in the home half of the inning to jump out to a 6-1 lead. They managed those five runs on only two hits but the Bison helped them along with some shaky fielding while the Gladiators were also using their usual aggressive base running. Included in that inning was a close play at the plate to score RHS's sixth run of the game.

However, the Bison turned to the long ball again in the top of the fifth, as they blasted two more and in very short order tied the game up again at 6-6. One of those homers was a three-run shot that dinged off the left foul pole and the other was an absolute no-doubter that probably landed somewhere down around the 50 yard line. (Those of you who are familiar with the Riverheads complex can visualize!) I hesitate to quote names but I believe Jackson Ingram and Micah Canterbury may have hit some or all of those home runs, but I apologize if I am wrong on any of that.

Again the Gladiators came right back to assume control of the game and in fact scored the winning run in the bottom of the inning. Ryan Farris, who had come on in relief of Miller by this time, had made it to third when he was replaced by pinch-runner Levi Dunlap. Before he even had a chance to realize he was in the game, the ball sailed to the backstop and the freshman used his speed to head for home and beat the throw to score the final run of the game.

However the Bison did not go quietly, especially in their final at-bat. Farris induced two quick ground balls to open the 7th, but the next two Bison hitters reached base safely. With the tying run in scoring position and a heavy hitter at the plate (maybe Ingram again but don't quote me) Farris locked down and struck him out looking for the hard-earned victory.

If there was a statistical difference in the game, it might have been in fielding efficiency. The Gladiators played a great defensive game and in fact two more Dunlaps were especially busy throughout the contest. Second baseman Bennett fielded at least five or six ground balls, some of them rather challenging, and successfully fired each and every one of them to his nephew (freshman first baseman Henley) who had to stretch a few times to haul them in, but the combination worked beautifully without any errors.

Conversely the Bison bobbled a few tonight, including at least two thrown away at first base, and as already mentioned failed not once but twice to nail Gladiator runners at the plate. So even though football is supposed to be the "game of inches", there were quite a few close plays tonight that made the difference, which is often the case when these two meet.

As of the moment, the Gladiators still have three games to try to squeeze in this week. They travel to Waynesboro Wednesday and host Fort Defiance Friday. That leaves a game at Stuarts Draft that was rained out Friday. As of the moment, I have not seen a make-up date announced for that one.

Then when the playoffs start next week, the Bison will also factor into the six-team Region B field, so don't be surprised if these two rivals see even more of one another before they turn in their uniforms for the summer. Of course both cannot win the regional title, but it will be nice for county pride if one or the other can pull it off.

For anyone who is interested, the Harrisonburg paper story of this game clarified the Bison home run derby.......Ingram hit the solo shot in the third, Kody Bright hit the three-run shot off the pole, and Canterbury had the monster smash that landed somewhere down near the Pilot station.

Reactions: BGfootball95
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT