ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads Sweeps Series From Waynesboro

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
I cannot give you any eyewitness insight because the internet was out at my house for over 24 hours yesterday, but thanks to reports from a fellow Gladiator and a story in one of the local papers, I can tell you that the Little Giants threw a scare into RHS and stayed in the game for the better part of three quarters before the home team pulled out to a 69-50 win. Waynesboro in fact actually led 28-26 at halftime and the outcome was still up in the air at 46-40 Riverheads after three quarters, before the Gladiators closed out the win with a 23-10 surge.

It appears from the box score in the paper that the Big Red enjoyed a hot night from behind the arc as the stats show five guys connecting for a total of 10 three-pointers. Three Gladiators hit double figures with Ryan Farris leading the way with 21, followed close behind by Adam Painter with 20. D'ante Gray added 12 and if all of that sounds familiar, it is quite similar to the scoring pattern in RHS' Saturday night win on the Little Giants' home court. As for Waynesboro, transfer Vinny Sipe again had a good game with 15, a total matched by Charlie Haynes.

As for JV action, Riverheads won that as well but in all fairness to Waynesboro, this was either their first game of the season or at least their first in a while due to Covid issues. For Riverheads it was the first win of the season for new coach Mike Jones.

Both teams are swinging quickly back into action. Riverheads will host Wilson tonight (as in about 9 hours from this posting!) in an effort to build on its three-game winning streak and knock the Hornets from their perch at the top of the Shenandoah standings. Hopefully my internet issues are behind me so that I can watch that one!

Waynesboro, as announced earlier in the year, is not playing a Valley District schedule and is primarily filling out the season by playing the Shenandoah teams. That has not gone well so far but sticking with RHS last night and giving Buffalo Gap a decent road game a few days ago might build their confidence. Meanwhile, Rockbridge County reversed its decision to cancel the season and Waynesboro is going to help them out by paying a trip to Lexington. I believe that is a Saturday night game but don't quote me.

Sorry for the shorter than usual report but after being out of the loop for 24 hours I have some catching up to do!!!!

Correction!!! Waynesboro's trip to Lexington is also tonight, not Saturday. Also I neglected to mention that Riverheads followed a trend that has been seen in other schools and celebrated Senior Night last night. I assume this is being done universally as a safeguard against the season possibly being called off unexpectedly. Getting the honors last night for the Big Red were guards Painter and Gray, and the starting center Steven Sorrells. Congrats to one and all!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT