ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads tops Wilson to remain unbeaten

longtimerhsfan

VaPreps All Region
Dec 12, 2006
In a battle of last year's two Single A state champs, the Gladiators traveled to Wilson Wednesday and picked up a 7-3 win over the home team. I can't provide too many details because I was only able to drop in briefly and watch an inning or so. But my understanding is that the Gladiators struck for single runs here and there as opposed to having a big inning and that they got a solid pitching effort out of sophomore Colt Miller.

When I left at the end of six, the Gladiators were leading 5-1, so that tells me that they scored twice more in the top of the 7th to move ahead 7-1 before Wilson then tallied two of their own in the bottom half of the frame. Although district play is meaningless this year, I think the Gladiators have only two teams left in their first cycle through (Luray and Stuarts Draft.) I believe a home game with the Cougars is next on the schedule Tuesday.

It is beginning to look like the Shenandoah race, if there was one, would be between the Gladiators and East Rock, so whenever they meet again in Elkton, that should be interesting and the number one seed in Conference 36 will likely be on the line.

I heard a lot of good comments about the lefty who pitched (Miller). His defense turned a couple DPs, and on offense, Riverheads got some timely hits, successfully bunted runners up and had runs plate on 3 infield groundouts...good fundamental ball usually produces good results..
Riverheads (10-0) and East Rock (now 10-1) are ruling the Shenandoah and Conference 36. Everyone else is .500 or way below. It will be interesting when Conf. 36 starts. Those two pretty much have locks on top 2 seeds with Gap, Wilson, Lee and Nelson in a battle for 3rd seed--for what its worth.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT