ADVERTISEMENT

Riverheads would win 2A this year

obguthr

VaPreps Honorable Mention
May 29, 2003
Staunton, VA
Any doubters? They have talent and depth at every single position, not to mention one of the best coaches in all classes.

I will reserve my judgement after the game Saturday they are the better team over draft

Yes they beat Draft but Appo is. a different monster. Appo would hang 40 on Riverheads.
If you read what I wrote I didn’t say Riverheads would win 2a I said they are a better team than draft if draft would happen to beat Appo then I would say Riverheads could win 2a the outcome of game Saturday is what i will base my opinion on. Appo May very well hang 40 on Riverheads we will never know Riverheads has a really good team

We been wanting them to come to 2A , they need to come on up and play with the big boys !
They were 2a in 2013 through 2014...then they went down due to student count IN 2015. I Remember Giles playing them in playoffs after Giles knocked us off in 2013. MAAAAAAN i think every male in the school is on that the sideline....They are a small school with great facilities and great turn out in numbers....I will be lying to say they didnt give us a tail kicking in the jamborees we attended. They run that that O like a machine! I will officially say.... they beat us up in them scrimmages. They beat us all three years we attended. We stopped going there for some reason? I liked that we played them, they are a well oiled machine.

Now in saying that.....I cant see Riverheads beating Raiders from 2015 to the present team. Castello is a master at stopping that O nowadays if the players listen to him and get the assignments correct.

Last edited:
They was 2a in 2013 through 2014...then they went down due to student count IN 2015. I Remember Giles playing them in playoffs after Giles knocked us off in 2013. MAAAAAAN i think every male in the school is on that the sideline....They are a small school with great facilities and great turn out in numbers....I will be lying to say they didnt give us a tail kicking in the jamborees we attended. They run that that O like a machine! I will officially say.... they beat us up in them scrimmages. They beat us all three years we attended. We stopped going there for some reason? I liked that we played them, they are a well oiled machine.

Now in saying that.....I cant see Riverheads beating Raiders from 2015 to the present team. Castello is a master at stopping that O nowadays if the players listen to him and get the assignments correct.
I knew you would know bro ! I remember when we were going there for the scrimmages and they acted like it was a championship game !

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I knew you would know bro ! I remember when we were going there for the scrimmages and they acted like it was a championship game !
I remember riverheads in 2015 state game before Raiders played. It was a nail biter they took an L vs Galax. Anybody could have won...then wen to 1A....won 3 straight championship with a chance at winning 4 this year

I wish we did scrimmage Riverheads, our team would really benefit from that. Scrimmage against bedford this year i think hurt our team and gave us a false sense so they laid back and got beat on by bucktown. Just my opinion.

Reactions: AdvocateOfMany434
I wish we did scrimmage Riverheads, our team would really benefit from that. Scrimmage against bedford this year i think hurt our team and gave us a false sense so they laid back and got beat on by bucktown. Just my opinion.
I just know when you scrimmage Riverheads, you going against one of the best to run that O. We have never beat them.

Bucktown going to be a MONSTER next year! you heard it FIRST from me! WATCH!

Reactions: Stabler1980
Yes they beat Draft but Appo is. a different monster. Appo would hang 40 on Riverheads.
I can promise you Appo doesnt score 40 on that defense. For 1 reason Riverheads offense will keep Appos offense off the field. They wont have the possesions to score 40. No team has scored over 28 on them in 6 years and they have played some pretty good teams over that time.

They was 2a in 2013 through 2014...then they went down due to student count IN 2015. I Remember Giles playing them in playoffs after Giles knocked us off in 2013. MAAAAAAN i think every male in the school is on that the sideline....They are a small school with great facilities and great turn out in numbers....I will be lying to say they didnt give us a tail kicking in the jamborees we attended. They run that that O like a machine! I will officially say.... they beat us up in them scrimmages. They beat us all three years we attended. We stopped going there for some reason? I liked that we played them, they are a well oiled machine.

They were 2A from 2011-2015

May have been an issue playing before but Buckingham was a monster at the beginning, injuries changed their season even after our game as they lost a RB. We were short some linemen and it showed. We did play riverheads in a few scrimmages and they moved the ball each time but we were more concerned about settling in on defensive positions than trying to stop something we wouldn't see much during the year.

May have been an issue playing before but Buckingham was a monster at the beginning, injuries changed their season even after our game as they lost a RB. We were short some linemen and it showed. We did play riverheads in a few scrimmages and they moved the ball each time but we were more concerned about settling in on defensive positions than trying to stop something we wouldn't see much during the year.
Appo was down 6 starters for that game. I think due to grades and or discipline.

Being at the Appo/Riverheads scrimmage I can tell you two things. One neither team played it as a regular season game and two it was used by both coaching staffs as a lesson. I heard Coach Smith admonish his team for having overlooked a smaller but disciplined group and I would assure you Casto made it a point to focus on assignment football through and through. It benefitted both teams in my opinion but to garner any real information from that is a fools game. Appomattox is the gold standard of 2A right now and has been since the start of that run. Riverheads is playing where they were told to play and I promise we as fans discuss wanting to move to 2A. For me I would just like to see what is possible and maybe quiet a few of the more vocal fans that wouldn’t know good football if they were dragged to watch it. Anyone can think what they want but the likelihood this year is that we would have been in Salem playing the Raiders. As i have said for a few weeks the top of 2A isn’t that far from the top of 1A. Galax could play with and potentially beat SD as well so does that say that the whole East side of the state is down or are there three or four quality 1A teams that could hang with the majority of 2A?

I want to propose that if Appomattox wins this year they are forced to move up to 3A since it’s obvious that they should be playing up, from a competitive standpoint, regardless of student numbers. That would be 4 titles in 5 years, omg the world is coming to an end all because someone has built a very good program. (Congrats again by the way)

I will be rooting for SD in 2A because I graduated from there but have moved a few miles and have kids in the Riverheads school system so that’s who I support in all athletics now and have for many years. If the Gladiators lose this Saturday I will be at the school on Tuesday evening supporting the basketball team or at my sons wrestling practice. Life moves on and in the end there is a lot more to growing young men than hoisting that trophy. The leaders they become and the involvement they have in the community is of much great consequence to me personally. I hope Augusta County comes out to support both of the schools this weekend and no matter the scoreboard for all four teams, they have represented their school and community with more dignity than some of the fans have. #RollPride

During the post game wrapup of a Riverheads game recently, the radio announcer came right out and said that they WOULD win 2-A this year, not that they COULD. I thought it was a pretty bold statement and I still do.

Be careful what you wish for,you might get it.

I want to propose that if Appomattox wins this year they are forced to move up to 3A since it’s obvious that they should be playing up, from a competitive standpoint, regardless of student numbers. That would be 4 titles in 5 years, omg the world is coming to an end all because someone has built a very good program. (Congrats again by the way)

I will be rooting for SD in 2A because I graduated from there but have moved a few miles and have kids in the Riverheads school system so that’s who I support in all athletics now and have for many years. If the Gladiators lose this Saturday I will be at the school on Tuesday evening supporting the basketball team or at my sons wrestling practice. Life moves on and in the end there is a lot more to growing young men than hoisting that trophy. The leaders they become and the involvement they have in the community is of much great consequence to me personally. I hope Augusta County comes out to support both of the schools this weekend and no matter the scoreboard for all four teams, they have represented their school and community with more dignity than some of the fans have. #RollPride

Forced to move up? You sound crazy! Its based on student count...If that is the your logic, a 0-10 team or someone that consistently loses like Nelson did a many years, they should be made to move down to 1A?

The difference is Appo hasn't bounced from 1A to 2A and isn't razor close to the student limit of 2A like Riverheads is in 1A. Not stepping into that issue, only that it's not quite a fair comparison.

Forced to move up? You sound crazy! Its based on student count...If that is the your logic, a 0-10 team or someone that consistently loses like Nelson did a many years, they should be made to move down to 1A?
Got to read the tongue and cheek.

The argument isn’t always about the numbers and I don’t see any of the sky is falling group post during baseball or basketball where we don’t win as much yet. For those that do complain, just come on out and call it like you mean it, that no one wants to see one team win consistently.

I was being facetious suggesting that competitively Appomattox should be forced to move up. Just like I think it’s ridiculous for someone to make unproven claims that Riverheads is scamming the system just to win football championships.

It’s a tad bit presumptuous to think the Gladiators will beat this very good Galax team. The only common opponent would suggest a very close matchup as would the bulk of statistical information we have on the year.

I am not arguing opinion because everyone is entitled to theirs. If you have seen it, look back through the multiple threads discussing this and you will find a nugget from the area rep who is also associated with East Rock and in a response letter to a vapreps poster he states how and why teams are where they are. Don’t like it, get a legislator involved, it worked to have a game moved last year.

The argument isn’t always about the numbers and I don’t see any of the sky is falling group post during baseball or basketball where we don’t win as much yet. For those that do complain, just come on out and call it like you mean it, that no one wants to see one team win consistently.

I was being facetious suggesting that competitively Appomattox should be forced to move up. Just like I think it’s ridiculous for someone to make unproven claims that Riverheads is scamming the system just to win football championships.

It’s a tad bit presumptuous to think the Gladiators will beat this very good Galax team. The only common opponent would suggest a very close matchup as would the bulk of statistical information we have on the year.

I am not arguing opinion because everyone is entitled to theirs. If you have seen it, look back through the multiple threads discussing this and you will find a nugget from the area rep who is also associated with East Rock and in a response letter to a vapreps poster he states how and why teams are where they are. Don’t like it, get a legislator involved, it worked to have a game moved last year.
Agreed cause Galax showed up in 2015!

Chilhowie hung around for three quarters, that game despite ending 35-7 wasn't decided until the fourth quarter. 7-0 at half, 21-7 in the third quarter, still a game until some late mistakes blew open the doors. 2017 was just a bloodbath tho lol. With a couple adjustments, I think 2018 Chilhowie could have played RHS within a score or two and possibly steal a game at the end, maybe winning 2/10.

But Galax has an elite coach and a talented line that can hopefully at least match Riverheads, it'll be nice if it's a ballgame.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT