ADVERTISEMENT

Rules changes -- I guess we didn't need any

White hat

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Aug 17, 2001
When the only "rules change" closes a loophole no one knew existed anyway, I'm guessing not much is going to happen. There might be some editorial changes, and I expect the NFHS to make kneepads covering knees a point of emphasis this year. We'll see.

The rule change said that home teams, which are required to wear dark jerseys, cannot have players in two differnt color jerseys, even if they contrast with white.

I want to hear about it if anyone has ever seen this be a problem, What the committee is saying is: say a team's colors are red and blue. Sometimes they wear red and sometime they wear blue. The rules did not specifically forbid them from having some players in red and others in blue, so long as they contrasted with white that the visiting team had to wear. I mean, seriously, did you ever see that? Ever even think of it?

I am glad to say this is the year when the new rules about jerseys come into effect. These rules were passed years ago, but they put off implementation in case a school had just bought jerseys, they couldn't afford new ones right away.

Those rules require home teams to wear dark colors -- no more yellow or light gray at home against the white of the visiting team -- and (more importantly) the number has to be a single color contrasting with the jersey. Dark numbers on white jerseys and vice versa. No longer are numbers that are just outlines legal.

Here's the release.
https://nfhs.org/articles/home-team-uniform-requirements-clarified-in-high-school-football-rules/

Last edited:
Reactions: DinwiddieProud
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT