ADVERTISEMENT

Rules specific to punt formations

onlylabs

Gold Member
Oct 9, 2014
Midlothian
Clarification please on punt formations and rules specific to who can immediately release. I can't seem to figure out how to attach a drawing of the formation to make it easy to understand but in short there is a snapper then 3 players set behind him and the punter behind them. Split out wide each side are 3 players/side...all 6 are on the line so with snapper 7 on the LOS. On a fake punt/pass 4 of these 6 "receivers" are covered up so would be illegal men down field if they all release. BUT if not noticed in alignment by officials it won't be called after the play runs. Is it acceptable to point out the the official on our sideline presnap the alignment and whose covered as a reminder? In this formation are all of the outside players (6 total all on the LOS) allowed to immediately release at the snap of the ball even if a real punt? I can tell you they do on film every time. Thank you for responses.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Clarification please on punt formations and rules specific to who can immediately release. I can't seem to figure out how to attach a drawing of the formation to make it easy to understand but in short there is a snapper then 3 players set behind him and the punter behind them. Split out wide each side are 3 players/side...all 6 are on the line so with snapper 7 on the LOS. On a fake punt/pass 4 of these 6 "receivers" are covered up so would be illegal men down field if they all release. BUT if not noticed in alignment by officials it won't be called after the play runs. Is it acceptable to point out the the official on our sideline presnap the alignment and whose covered as a reminder? In this formation are all of the outside players (6 total all on the LOS) allowed to immediately release at the snap of the ball even if a real punt? I can tell you they do on film every time. Thank you for responses.
In Federation rules offensive players must be eligible by both # and position. There is no such thing as reporting an ineligible # to the Referee. Eligible #'s are 1-49 and 80-99. Position means backs and players on the end of their line. Again must also have an eligible #. A good officiating crew especially crews of 6 or 7 make mental note prior to the snap of players with eligible numbers who are ineligible by position EVERY time a punt or scoring kick is attempted. Officials who are too inexperienced or too lazy to do this should not be working varsity games. The appropriate time for the head coach to bring up opponent formations is while meeting with the Referee in the pre game conference. Assistant coaches yelling in my ear after the ball is made ready for play get ignored for the most part! ANY player can "release" at the snap in a Federation game during a scrimmage kick.
There is a rule exception that allows players with eligible numbers to line up as "covered" linemen when their team is in "scrimmage kick" (punt or Field Goal).

Last edited:
Now that is complicated stuff. Especially in the heat of the game. A tip of the cap to all of you officials that do your best, to try to do your best. Thank you.

Reactions: naildriver91
Thank you for your reply. I will ask you to clarify your last statement just a bit. When the players with eligible numbers are “covered lineman” are they still eligible receivers in a fake punt via a pass scenario? Or if said event takes place would they be considered ineligible downfield if they release?

Thank you for your reply. I will ask you to clarify your last statement just a bit. When the players with eligible numbers are “covered lineman” are they still eligible receivers in a fake punt via a pass scenario? Or if said event takes place would they be considered ineligible downfield if they release?
On normal scrimmage downs by rule the offense must have players numbered 50-79 in their usual positions. When the offense is in "scimmage kick" formation (Punt and FG) there is a rule exception that allows for otherwise eligible #'s to be in those positions (as it is pretty common to want to have kids that can run and tackle on the punt team--also not uncommon that the deep snapper is an athlete). Those players numbered 1-49 and 80-99 who are numbering "exceptions" are NOT eligible receivers should the play be a fake or turn into a pass play. It is critical that the officials make mental note of who these players are. I am a NCAA SJ which means on a scoring kick I take position along with the Umpire. Its my job to know which players who are eligible by # are actually ineligible by position. Every single time a FG or Try is attempted I say the "bad" numbers out loud to the Umpire---yes it is a foul if they are downfield on a forward pass that crosses the neutral zone.

ADVERTISEMENT