ADVERTISEMENT

Ruling on a called game.

Aug 29, 2016
This past Friday RMA vs. Fishburne was played in a monsoon. It was one of those games that as a player you love, a muddy mess and when you tackled someone you slid for 7 yards. RMA was up 21-0 at the half. As the Fishburne team was heading to the locker room at halftime the officials called to the Coach to meet with the RMA coach. The officials deemed the field unplayable and awarded the win to RMA. (No lightning or thunder in the area)
I have looked high and low and the only thing I have found that is if a game needs to be called due to weather there are two options.
1: Game is suspended and to be completed at a later date.
2: It is deemed "no contest"

While I am not saying that Fishburne would have come back to win this game, losing it almost assuredly ends their hopes of a playoff spot.

Is this the correct call?

The Referee can suspend a game if there is significant risk to safety. I the field is just destroyed, there would have to be something there that proposed a significant risk.

The coaches, however could have come to an agreement. Since these are private schools it's going to fall to the VASA to decide how to handle it.

Fishburn would probably be better off completing it at a later date. A 21-point lead on a night where any play that gains more than 4 yars is a rarity would be insurmountable.

I worked a game Friday that was a mud bowl. By the third quarter there was almost no chance of seeing anyone's numbers. Both teams were wearing the same color -- brown. It was fun, I have to admit.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Can both coaches agree to call it a game due to field conditions and award the win to the team winning at that point? Is that allowed by rule?

I doubt a decision on the outcome of the game would be made at the site, even if both coaches decided against continuing play. What would happen is the game would be suspended. The administrators from each school would then meet a day or two later and decide if they are going to resume or declare it final.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT