ADVERTISEMENT

Ruling on high school bats in Virginia this season...

canacorn

VaPreps Rookie
Feb 1, 2005
I know I have been harping on this subject on other boards, but I believe this issue will not be handled as easily as it could be under different circumstances.

First, I understand the rule as set forth and writen by the VHSL for high school bats this season. However, I do have a couple of questions.

How will individual umpires determine whether a barrel is aluminum alloy or composite? Will it by markings on the individual bats? Are all bats clearly marked? If a bat is questioned by an umpire and team/player provides a description provided by the manufacturer as to the construction of the bat, do you believe that the individual umpires will accept this written statement from the bat's manufacturer or make a subjective judgment? And lastly, do you believe that this issue will cause problems during the season, seeing that individual umpires must make their own judgment on bats at each and every game with no listing of legal or illegal bats provided by the VHSL (especially since the NFHS and VHSL do not specifically recognize the same rule)?

I thought the VHSL went by the approved bat list on the NFHS web site. A link to NFHS approved bats is attached. If there were any questions, I would go by this list.

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155
This post was edited on 2/24 3:18 PM by bowlingref

From the VHSL website:

NFHS Composite Bat Rule Change

The NFHS has moved the compliance date for composite baseball bat changes forward from 2011-2012 to 2010-2011. This means that any composite baseball bat used during the 2010-2011school year must:

1) meet the Batted Ball Coefficient of Restitution (BBCOR);

2) be labeled with a silkscreen or other permanent certification mark;

3) and have the certification mark that is rectangular, a minimum of a half-inch on each side and located on the barrel of the bat in any contrasting color.

While we are still working with the NFHS regarding our position to deny use of the seven BESR-ABI composite bats they have waived, the VHSL position and the NFHS rule as written for the 2010-2011 season remains:

- Only BBCOR Composite Bats will be allowed for this academic year.

- Aluminum bats, Aluminum Alloy bats and Aluminum barrel bats with composite handles that are BESR WILL BE allowed for this year BUT will not be legal after January 1, 2012.

The VHSL will not be producing a list of legal or illegal bats because some bat manufacturers have not changed the name of their bats in this transition process (BBCOR from BESR certification). Each bat will need to be checked for composition (aluminum or composite) and certification level (BBCOR or BESR).

If something changes regarding the VHSL position on this issue member schools will be provided immediate notification and it will be posted on the VHSL website.

Here are two links that may help.

http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~ssl/certified/banned/certified.html

http://www.mme.wsu.edu/~ssl/certified/besr/certified.html

http://www.nfhs.org/content.aspx?id=4155

Hope that helps.

I have often wondered why the girls softball players are so concerned about what bat they use. 99 % of the games I have umpired, most of the girls can hardly get the bat off their shoulder before the ball is in the cathcers mitt. Maybe moving the pitching plate to 43' will help with this situation.
eek.gif

I appreciate your input. The NFHS originally came out saying they were going to BBCOR only for 2011. The VHSL followed suit with the NFHS. However, the NFHS, after much clamor from the bat manufacturers, changed their stance to include certain BESR bats that were tested and did not exceed a certain and determined batted ball speed.

The VHSL did not accept all changes as set forth by the NFHS. They accepted BBCOR obviously, but they went a step further on BESR bats and restricted them to aluminum barrel and composite handle only. My point is that some bats on the NFHS approved list are composite barrel (such as the DeMarini CF4). This bat does not meet the VHSL spec.

My point in all this is that this issue is not as clear cut as most are presenting. It is a mess and the kids and parents are the ones who are purchasing bats that may be illegal as set forth by the VHSL and not necessarily illegal under NFHS guidelines.

Again, why didn't the VHSL set a clear and defined line by using BBCOR only. These bats are less expensive than BESR certified and are relatively easily acquired. BESR bats are all constructed in different materials and have greater differences than their BBCOR counterparts. BBCOR are all virtually the same and teams could purchase these rather than parents going out and finding a $400 rocket launcher for their child, because they want their kid to have the greatest advantage possible.

Moving pitchers rubber back to 43' is gonna have an effect on the game, I believe. I have seen girls who were great high school pitchers, but could not adapt to longer distance in college. Now, granted with some pitchers it ain't gonna make any difference.
I just hope the longer distacnes does not result in more base on balls. I think longer distance may help "drop ball" pitchers, and maybe those who can throw curve balls. I don't think bats are that big a deal in softball, compared to baseball. I wish they would go to wood bats for baseball.
This post was edited on 2/25 1:19 PM by Hampton Roads 6

NFHS has listing with barrel class

I hope this listing will be accepted by the VHSL. I feel more confident now because this list includes manufacturer, model, and most importantly barrel class. The VHSL has been very specific with using the definition of aluminum barrel and composite handle. This comprehensive list specifically lists those bats that are considered "aluminum barrel". The barrel material has been confusing especially since the word "aluminum" is rarely used in manufacturers marketing materials, but rather the term "alloy". This listing includes 1615 NFHS approved bats.

Re: NFHS has listing with barrel class

In NC, the umpires are to bring the list with them to each game and check bats to insure all are legal.

Or so I've been told. I don't work games that don't use a clock.
3dsmile.gif

Re: But...

But...VHSL has no list nor recognizes any lists. Simply a ruling that is similar to the NFHS but not identical. My son will have, on his person, a description of his bat as described by the manufacturer (Nike), Baseball Express (retailer), and the study and bat description from Washington State University which is used as the guideline by the NFHS. Let's see if that is enough for the old boys in blue.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT