ADVERTISEMENT

Sadness in the Dinwiddie Community

DinwiddieProud

VaPreps All State
Gold Member
Dec 9, 2013
We all lost a great, great friend, citizen, community asset, and a just a wonderful human being this week. T. O. Rainey, known by most as Lanny, was taken from us by a hit and run driver. This past Thursday, shortly after 6:00 pm, about a mile from his home, Lanny was struct by a vehicle while he was wrapping up another of his frequent bicycle rides. The heartless bastard that struck him and left him in the ditch to die, WILL be caught and he WILL be punished.

Lanny was a 1971 graduate of Dinwiddie High School. He was a multi-sport athlete at Dinwiddie, which included football, wrestling and track. After completing Law School and passing the bar, he became the Assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Dinwiddie. In due time he was elected as the county’s Commonwealth Attorney and is widely considered as one of, if not the best, Commonwealth Attorney to ever serve our County. Later, he went into private practice, which he continued in until his untimely death. Lanny was routinely called upon to sit the bench as a substitute judge and had the reputation of being fair, impartial, and well versed in the laws of the Commonwealth.

Lanny supported the community in a variety of ways. He was actively involved in Civic Organizations, and a litany of other avenues to add his expertise to causes that made our community a better place for everyone.

Lanny had performed many duties over the years in support of Dinwiddie Athletics. Lanny was the longest tenured member of what we affectionately call “the Press Box Gang.” Lanny was typically the chief spotter at the football games, but served in other capacities as the need arrived, including taking over the mic to call the game. What made Lanny so valuable was his reliability, his professionalism, and his remarkable eye for details. He saw things on the football field that left us in awe.

But, best of all, Lanny was our friend. Just having him around added to the fun and enjoyment of being at a football game. He faithfully brought some type of snack that none of us old farts should be eating, and had fun with us when we couldn’t resist.

One of the saddest things about losing Laney, was all that he had been through physically and yet he was in better shape than guys 30 years younger than him. You see, Laney received a heart transplant just 10 years ago. And has since had both hips replaced. And if memory serves me correctly, he also had both knees replaced. And yet, at 70, he road his bike 20 miles, several times a week. He worked out at the YMCA, and occasionally hit the road as a runner. After all this, his life was taken away by some coward that probably hit hit accidentally, but didn’t have the courage to stop and try to help our friend.

Lanny, you will be missed, but never, ever forgotten.

We all lost a great, great friend, citizen, community asset, and a just a wonderful human being this week. T. O. Rainey, known by most as Lanny, was taken from us by a hit and run driver. This past Thursday, shortly after 6:00 pm, about a mile from his home, Lanny was struct by a vehicle while he was wrapping up another of his frequent bicycle rides. The heartless bastard that struck him and left him in the ditch to die, WILL be caught and he WILL be punished.

Lanny was a 1971 graduate of Dinwiddie High School. He was a multi-sport athlete at Dinwiddie, which included football, wrestling and track. After completing Law School and passing the bar, he became the Assistant Commonwealth Attorney for Dinwiddie. In due time he was elected as the county’s Commonwealth Attorney and is widely considered as one of, if not the best, Commonwealth Attorney to ever serve our County. Later, he went into private practice, which he continued in until his untimely death. Lanny was routinely called upon to sit the bench as a substitute judge and had the reputation of being fair, impartial, and well versed in the laws of the Commonwealth.

Lanny supported the community in a variety of ways. He was actively involved in Civic Organizations, and a litany of other avenues to add his expertise to causes that made our community a better place for everyone.

Lanny had performed many duties over the years in support of Dinwiddie Athletics. Lanny was the longest tenured member of what we affectionately call “the Press Box Gang.” Lanny was typically the chief spotter at the football games, but served in other capacities as the need arrived, including taking over the mic to call the game. What made Lanny so valuable was his reliability, his professionalism, and his remarkable eye for details. He saw things on the football field that left us in awe.

But, best of all, Lanny was our friend. Just having him around added to the fun and enjoyment of being at a football game. He faithfully brought some type of snack that none of us old farts should be eating, and had fun with us when we couldn’t resist.

One of the saddest things about losing Laney, was all that he had been through physically and yet he was in better shape than guys 30 years younger than him. You see, Laney received a heart transplant just 10 years ago. And has since had both hips replaced. And if memory serves me correctly, he also had both knees replaced. And yet, at 70, he road his bike 20 miles, several times a week. He worked out at the YMCA, and occasionally hit the road as a runner. After all this, his life was taken away by some coward that probably hit hit accidentally, but didn’t have the courage to stop and try to help our friend.

I'm so sorry for everyone's loss....

God Bless

So sorry to hear Dinwiddie. 🙏

Well said @DinwiddieProud and thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts. The "coward" you speak of will be caught very soon. God is working on him/her each and every minute of the day and you can bet that more than the walls are closing in.

Yes, I am selfishly feeling his loss, but so are many others he touched. His wife Sally (retired school teacher) and three kids just lost a huge rock. This man taught me so much and I am extremely grateful to have spent an hour with him before he took the bench (substitute judge) in Hopewell last week. Being able to thank him was surely an unknown blessing. I know "you can do this" is a commonly used phrase, but when T.O. said it, you always knew he believed it. He lived that phrase everyday. His calm demeanor and servants heart were his strengths. RIP sir. I will never forget you or the kind hand you always placed on my shoulder.

Well said @DinwiddieProud and thanks to everyone for the kind thoughts. The "coward" you speak of will be caught very soon. God is working on him/her each and every minute of the day and you can bet that more than the walls are closing in.

Yes, I am selfishly feeling his loss, but so are many others he touched. His wife Sally (retired school teacher) and three kids just lost a huge rock. This man taught me so much and I am extremely grateful to have spent an hour with him before he took the bench (substitute judge) in Hopewell last week. Being able to thank him was surely an unknown blessing. I know "you can do this" is a commonly used phrase, but when T.O. said it, you always knew he believed it. He lived that phrase everyday. His calm demeanor and servants heart were his strengths. RIP sir. I will never forget you or the kind hand you always placed on my shoulder.
Darn you BN. I thought I was finished crying, then I read your post.

That beautiful sunrise this morning was Lanny saying, “it’s ok, everything is perfect now,”

It really disappoints me that it takes money to get someone to step forward with information about a crime, but if that is what it takes, so be it. The Sheriff has put up $1000, and another person has established a fund that will quickly grow to a significantly large amount, to encourage someone to step forward with information leading to the person responsible for Lanny’s death.

Nothing will change, a great man was taken from his family and friends, but at least it will provide a little understanding, when the criminal is found.

We, the entire Dinwiddie community, appreciate the thoughts and prayers you have provided.

He was a great man, praying for the family, you guys, and justice.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT