ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 42. Patrick Henry 24

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Good win. However, this team is not improving on defense. Can't stop even average offenses.
Offense has some explosion but against elite defenses (LCA and Fleming) couldn't move the football consistently.
Should end up 8-2 (upsets can happen but Salem has Cave Spring, Hidden Valley, Christiansburg, Blacksburg and Pulaski left). However, if the defense doesn't improve can't see them doing much in playoffs. Hope I'm wrong.

Do you think defense is good? Do you think they are improving?
Gave up 35,30,25, 21, 24

Inconsistent is a better answer. FC scored 23 in the first half, 7 in the second half. Northside 14 early, 7 for the rest of game. PH 3 points until the 4th. LCA and WF are simply better teams this season so those results are expected.

Inconsistent is a better answer. FC scored 23 in the first half, 7 in the second half. Northside 14 early, 7 for the rest of game. PH 3 points until the 4th. LCA and WF are simply better teams this season so those results are expected.
I think you are being too kind. Scores are one thing, but watching even average teams run right at Salem successfully is disappointing.

Franklin County and PH are good football teams, and the defense did well tonight and is improving for sure.

Let’s talk about the cool changes Salem has made! 21 no longer is at mike linebacker or on defense at all! Instead he is proving to be a beast of a fullback! 44 is no longer getting reps at full back but has proven himself to be a strong Mike backer. He was previously getting time on the defensive line but they have replace him with some weight in the interior. Defensive backfield is young and you can tell they are improving. Persinger is still an absolutely lock down corner

On offense, this is the first time of me watching them in 10 years that they played a game where they didn’t motion their Y receiver to be the kick out man at the point of attack. Instead the guard (67 or 62) and fullback (21) getting great movement at the point of attack. Without the full back leading through the whole the plays are happening a lot quicker. With about 10 years of using the I and letting the Y receiver kick out, I believe northside and ph had a hard time predicting whether the run would be strong or weak side and with the plays hitting so fast they both had a hard time defending salems run game.

30 and 22 are still huge threats to take it all the way and 24, 5 and 11 have all proven to be receivers you have to keep an eye on.

Number 8 is having a great time when they are running R and L (the names of their shotgun formations. And has been looking solid on play action past two weeks. His good running ability past three weeks made his design runs not hit as well because PH was having their “force” player (guy responsible for setting the edge) stay home. You could tell they watched film on this design run play. On the positiveside of that, the force guy couldn’t cheat in and jam up the standard block down and kick out run game which is what lead to huge runs for 22, 30 and 21.

10 is a doing a great job blocking from TE position and slipping out on play action. Would like to see this guy get in the slot on R and L formations and basically be a full back they can throw to!

All the mules are combo-ing and getting to the backers. Love watching 67 and 55 get after it, their experience shows. Plenty of pancakes and fullback dives that went for 5-10 yards because these guys were blowing the 3 tech into the backers.

With the changes and seeing the guys get more competent, there is plenty to be excited for under those Thursday night lights! Switching your Mike and fullback and going out of a whole new formation that Salem hasn’t ran (consistently) in 10+ years are huge and risky moves to make for these coaches (realize that the I form where the motion crosses and kicks out has won 4 state championships at this point and two runner ups). These coaches are doing a heck of a job.

Love it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Camper11
As far as PH goes, you can tell they are a solid team that unfortunately played down tonight. If Salem and PH we’re to play again, possibly under more normal conditions, could see this being a much closer game.

I would agree the defense played better this evening. I don’t like to see them give up that many points in the second half but this defense is beginning to get better. They are moving in the right direction.

Reactions: CrushBlock
Also, Salem has been playing better competition in the Roanoke Valley the past year or two. Cburg, Ph, Fleming, Franklin county have all had some squads who could be dangerous the past couple of years.

Mid swva (Lexington to wythville) seemed to have a lull in talent at the 4a-5a level from about 2014 to 2020, (Blacksburg was an exception during those years when they had state champion level squads)

I hope some of these programs can maintain this with some consistency. Would like hidden valley and cave to play up like they did from 2007 to about 2014. Additionally would like to see a strong Pulaski again. Just makes going that much more fun.

Great night hope everyone got home safe in the rain.

Crush, the only thing you missed was that the band didn’t have the woodwind section playing tonight. My niece told me the rain can damage them.

Reactions: CrushBlock
I’m not perfect. Hope you had fun and found your way home safely dude!
I said in original post that the offense had some explosion , and I do like some of the changes. However, the defense is not good. I'm sure it will look better against next 5 opponents, but when tested against playoff caliber offenses it has been deficient (looked hard for a kinder word, settled on deficient). Does anyone have the stats of PH game??? How many yards did Salem give up??

I said in original post that the offense had some explosion , and I do like some of the changes. However, the defense is not good. I'm sure it will look better against next 5 opponents, but when tested against playoff caliber offenses it has been deficient (looked hard for a kinder word, settled on deficient). Does anyone have the stats of PH game??? How many yards did Salem give up??
disagree that they are not good and disagree even more that they aren’t improving, but I’m an idiot so I wouldn’t put much stock in my opinion.

Couldn’t get solid stats but their quarterback had 130 yards of passing in the forth quarter alone.

All the best,

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT