ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 49 Amherst 14 final

No offense to any of the other teams or their fan bases, and it probably won't happen, but I want Amherst to win it all. After what they have endured it would be great

Does anyone know how many yards Ross had against Salem? The Roanoke Times didn’t include a stats line in their article, and the News Advance appears to have used the Times’ game summary in their paper, also.

Mike, do you keep, or have access to, the Spartans’ opponents’ stats each week?

Amherst fought hard in my opinion as well. After the start they had for the season played good. They had too many turnovers that were costly as well. I’m proud of how they came out on the field pumped and ready to play. Have not seen that much energy from them in a while
@wikki you talk about more energy & discipline this year and knock Phillips, but then talk about how great the line and Ross were last year. Making sure I'm following correctly.

Does anyone know how many yards Ross had against Salem? The Roanoke Times didn’t include a stats line in their article, and the News Advance appears to have used the Times’ game summary in their paper, also.

@MntnrMark
Maxpreps has him with 8 carries and 55 yards.

Last edited:
Reactions: iskolinbckers
@wikki you talk about more energy & discipline this year and knock Phillips, but then talk about how great the line and Ross were last year. Making sure I'm following correctly.

The line last year was great, mostly seniors and bigger. Those players graduated. I stand by what I said. I’m not the only one that feels the energy. The players had no discipline last year and posters even acknowledged it last year on this boasts. Most fans agree the energy they have this year is far more than last year. It is because of what they have been through this year, they are determined, I heard the coaches speach to these players, I was there. I also know a lot of what went on but will never share on here. This team will be fine, very young. The guy from Louisa told me last week that one about this team is they have a lot of energy.

I'll be the sacrificial lamb and say I was one to knock Phillip's offensive schemes and the overall attitude and morale of the team. I am from the old days that if you walk on and off the field your a** get benched! You talk back to a coach, your a** gets benched. You blantantly committ a personal foul your a** is on the sideline getting a earful for it until the spit dries on your face. That being said. That is what the program lacked was discipline. Discipline to want to keep your mouth shut and let the damn pads do the talking, discipline in wanting to hurt the person across from you everytime you line up across from them. The line dominated last year against decent opponent because they were just physical specimens. Some people are born with it and some aren't. The difference between old amherst and the salem, Lake Taylor's and dinwiddie is these kids might not have the physical part of it but what they make up for in willingness, toughness and knowledge of the game. As far as the e.c glass fan that posted some b.s tell me when the last time glass been relevant since 98. I root for glass when they don't play amherst but things like this makes me remember why a home game glass didn't have but 300 people in the home stands. Glass has a awesome coach that any area team would be glad to have. He had to weed all the cancer out of his team to get them to where they are at. Ross is a fantastic back for anyone in the state. Ask the glass D about that 365 he put on em last year and see how overated he is. The only thing I agree with that glass fan on is that when you have many offense threats you spread it around. But to call a 2400 rusher overated is 2 claps Rick Flair stupid.

Believe the Times actually used the N&A's, unfortunately, because just about every game the Times covers they do a real stat sheet for, doesn't appear that way for the N&A.

@MntnrMark
Maxpreps has him with 8 carries and 55 yards.

This is probably close to correct. He had the 42 yarder and was essentially bottled up for a couple yards here and there otherwise. Since Amherst was putting in a new offense I think the biggest thing Salem prepped for was Ross and just decided to take their lumps elsewhere if need be.

Reactions: wikki
I'll be the sacrificial lamb and say I was one to knock Phillip's offensive schemes and the overall attitude and morale of the team. I am from the old days that if you walk on and off the field your a** get benched! You talk back to a coach, your a** gets benched. You blantantly committ a personal foul your a** is on the sideline getting a earful for it until the spit dries on your face. That being said. That is what the program lacked was discipline. Discipline to want to keep your mouth shut and let the damn pads do the talking, discipline in wanting to hurt the person across from you everytime you line up across from them. The line dominated last year against decent opponent because they were just physical specimens. Some people are born with it and some aren't. The difference between old amherst and the salem, Lake Taylor's and dinwiddie is these kids might not have the physical part of it but what they make up for in willingness, toughness and knowledge of the game. As far as the e.c glass fan that posted some b.s tell me when the last time glass been relevant since 98. I root for glass when they don't play amherst but things like this makes me remember why a home game glass didn't have but 300 people in the home stands. Glass has a awesome coach that any area team would be glad to have. He had to weed all the cancer out of his team to get them to where they are at. Ross is a fantastic back for anyone in the state. Ask the glass D about that 365 he put on em last year and see how overated he is. The only thing I agree with that glass fan on is that when you have many offense threats you spread it around. But to call a 2400 rusher overated is 2 claps Rick Flair stupid.

Im guessing the former newly hired Amherst coach was too old school!? You called out Glass' highly touted defense from last year...Ross is a player.

Last edited:
The line last year was great, mostly seniors and bigger. Those players graduated. I stand by what I said. I’m not the only one that feels the energy. The players had no discipline last year and posters even acknowledged it last year on this boasts. Most fans agree the energy they have this year is far more than last year. It is because of what they have been through this year, they are determined, I heard the coaches speach to these players, I was there. I also know a lot of what went on but will never share on here. This team will be fine, very young. The guy from Louisa told me last week that one about this team is they have a lot of energy.
Energy is great but don't equal wins. I've seen Salem play and they come out and it's business as usual, coaches aren't chest bumping...etc. On the opposite side of that I've seen Amherst's Seminole foe Heritage play and one thing they don't lack is energy. Different approaches, both successful programs.

Amen, good point, they haven’t been relevant until the last couple of years.

Believe the Times actually used the N&A's, unfortunately, because just about every game the Times covers they do a real stat sheet for, doesn't appear that way for the N&A.

This is probably close to correct. He had the 42 yarder and was essentially bottled up for a couple yards here and there otherwise. Since Amherst was putting in a new offense I think the biggest thing Salem prepped for was Ross and just decided to take their lumps elsewhere if need be.
Exactly

Energy is great but don't equal wins. I've seen Salem play and they come out and it's business as usual, coaches aren't chest bumping...etc. On the opposite side of that I've seen Amherst's Seminole foe Heritage play and one thing they don't lack is energy. Different approaches, both successful programs.
Energy alone does not win games but it helps. This will only carry over when the team starts to improve. Yeah Saem slowed Ross down but didn’t stop him but it’s easy when they only focus on him. I feel good about this team

Energy alone does not win games but it helps. This will only carry over when the team starts to improve. Yeah Saem slowed Ross down but didn’t stop him but it’s easy when they only focus on him. I feel good about this team
Salem didn't just focus on Ross.

ADVERTISEMENT