ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 51. Cave Spring 3

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Eli Taylor returns at qb after collar bone injury. Looked really good. Salem has their passing game back.
Peyton Lewis 5 touch downs. 195 yards rushing.
Saw on Salem fans page that Linebacker for Salem J. Allen 20 tackles and an interception

The Spartans are very dangerous. The offense with a passing game and the new wrinkles will be tough to defend.

Weird game. Lewis muffs first punt, CS recovers at the 8 and kicks a FG, 7-3 Salem. Turns around next series, Taylor throws a pick (because Allen got tangled with DB and fell). CS begins drive at 1 and make it quite a ways thanks to penalties and whatnot before being stopped on downs. Salem goes into half up 14-3. Must have gotten quite the speech because Salem scores 31 in the 3rd quarter to go up 45-3 including a scoop and score by Chris Cole. Lewis field a punt in the 4th and returns it 60ish yards for his 5th TD. Game never in doubt at any point but I imagine some faces were made by people checking that halftime score.

Some intensely bad refereeing as well. Announced themselves with gusto for much of the game. Clock operator at one point drained about 45 seconds off the clock in the first half when a penalty was called. Fans screamed at refs, Salem coaches heard fans and point it out to refs, refs put a whole 11 seconds back on the clock because not a one was paying attention to the time when the penalty was initially called.

Having Taylor back and already looking phenomenal was great. His best game passing all year for sure, kid was dropping dimes multiple times. No more stacking the box like the past five games.

Oh, and I'll say this without question: CS coach only played not to get shutout. Salem was up 7-0 when Lewis muffed that punt and CS had 1st and goal inside the 10. 3rd down call was a run to set kicker up at correct hash. Zero balls on the playcalling. Down 14-3 right before half and they get the ball with ~2:30, they run enough for a first down and kneel out the clock. They were (conceivably) in this game at that point and this dude played for the half and kicked a FG just to not get shut out. Weirder things have happened than a middling CS beating a good Salem team so why not go for the gusto and try to make something happen?

He's done good over there for a first year coach but man, absolutely no guts on that guy in a big game, couldn't believe it.

This Salem team is just getting better and better and I was VERY impressed with how they played tonight. Starting QB Eli Taylor returned from injury and looked pretty sharp for his first game back. Peyton Lewis is making some CRAZY plays (RB and some defense) and Jaelyn Allen and Chris Cole are as good as it gets on the defensive side of the ball. I am REALLY high on this team's potential as we get closer to the playoffs.

Cave Spring does not have a good record but have been very competitive in every game they have played this season up until tonight. They lost by 9 points to Christiansburg, 2 points against Byrd and by just 7 points last week to PH.

This Salem team is just getting better and better and I was VERY impressed with how they played tonight. Starting QB Eli Taylor returned from injury and looked pretty sharp for his first game back. Peyton Lewis is making some CRAZY plays (RB and some defense) and Jaelyn Allen and Chris Cole are as good as it gets on the defensive side of the ball. I am REALLY high on this team's potential as we get closer to the playoffs.

Cave Spring does not have a good record but have been very competitive in every game they have played this season up until tonight. They lost by 9 points to Christiansburg, 2 points against Byrd and by just 7 points last week to PH.

Also losses to Northside by 3 and Glenvar by 4. One play in four games and they could be 7-2.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports
C Burg qb is out with a ACL................................

How good is JF's JV?

One more thing: the MVP of a very good Salem defense is Jaelyn Allen and it's frankly not even close. Absolute monster season.

I'm flabbergasted he doesn't have offers, he is absolutely someone a JMU or App State or Marshall should be picking up. He's going to have killer senior film so hopefully that'll get the process going for him come December.

One more thing: the MVP of a very good Salem defense is Jaelyn Allen and it's frankly not even close. Absolute monster season.

I'm flabbergasted he doesn't have offers, he is absolutely someone a JMU or App State or Marshall should be picking up. He's going to have killer senior film so hopefully that'll get the process going for him come December.
He's a guy this PORTAL businesss hurts. His parents will not pay for his education. Someone will offer soon, and then they will pour in.

Reactions: BoKnowsSports

He was offered by Richmond, Marshall, and Cincinnati, in May according to his X page. Although, like you, I agree he should have tons more offers.

Reactions: 1MoreHokie

I would also add that he’s underrated as a tight end on offense. He’s got great hands and can motor with his size after the catch. Would love to have known if he hadn’t tripped, if he would have made a play on that throw from Eli and possibly scored last night.

It’s crazy that Lewis scored again from that direct snap package last night. I’m sure I’ve missed some plays, but in person I’ve seen Salem run that like 4 times and he’s scored 3 touchdowns. When he sees the whole field at once and picks his path, it’s catch me if you can.
Also, loved seeing Eli back and playing with poise. He didn’t seem hesitant at all. If anything, he was more direct and aggressive with his throws. If he keeps that up, Salem’s going to be very hard to beat. You could tell it really took away Cave Spring’s game plan on defense and when they adjusted for the pass, suddenly Salem’s run game was next level by the time the third quarter rolled around.

It’s crazy that Lewis scored again from that direct snap package last night. I’m sure I’ve missed some plays, but in person I’ve seen Salem run that like 4 times and he’s scored 3 touchdowns. When he sees the whole field at once and picks his path, it’s catch me if you can.
Also, loved seeing Eli back and playing with poise. He didn’t seem hesitant at all. If anything, he was more direct and aggressive with his throws. If he keeps that up, Salem’s going to be very hard to beat. You could tell it really took away Cave Spring’s game plan on defense and when they adjusted for the pass, suddenly Salem’s run game was next level by the time the third quarter rolled around.

I think they've scored every time that package has been used. Persinger or Jones scored another time, can't remember which one though. It's not just a "Peyton Lewis" package, which makes it so dangerous because Persinger is extremely good and so is Jones so you have to account for all three because any of them could get the ball.

Reactions: RKE Fan
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT