ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 51 Patrick Henry 14

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
I wouldn't be overlooking the Spartans just because they lost 17 starters last year. PH was supposed to challenge Salem----34-7 half 51-14 final

Danville Sports Head??? Your comments???

Last edited:
I don't think anyone was "overlooking" Salem. Simply put, Salem is Salem. They execute extrememly well and will take advantage of every mistake the opposing team gives them. That being said, I got a chance to check them out tonight and will say this. IMO, this team is faster, deeper, and seems to play better overall team defense than last years squad. I saw them in the benefit game against JF and they seem vastly improved now which is understandable with all the sophs they have playing. Those kids have matured on the field and put this team on par with last year's more experienced squad. I thought last season there were a few weaknesses that would hurt Salem bigtime against a team like Lake Taylor. For one, as great as Couling was, he was not the most mobile QB in the backfield. For a team that brings the house like LT, even an extra step is going to be a huge benefit. The Beckley kid has that. Great run for a TD tonight and it's not the first time he's showed his quickness and escapability. Second, last season it was pretty much just Parker as a threat at wideout. This year Salem has speed and hands in lots of places. Tucker and Wade have breakway speed. By the time they're seniors, they're both going to be bigtime. Quinn has good moves and hands. Also, from what I've seen, the Pinello kid is fantastic out of the TE spot. Finally, on defense DeAngelo Ramsey is a beast! He seems almost at Alex's level already as a Soph. I also think Salem's secondary has more speed overall than last year's. The big question marks are O and D lines. To me, I think the D line is better and the O line not quite as good, especially after all the injuries. What say all you Salem faithful? Is this Salem team comparable to last season's? Agree or disagree on my main points? Remember, this is coming from a Northside fan (which by the way, I think has the best defense Salem has played so far...ha! ha! Just had to throw that in)

Last edited:
Even with all of the injuries on the O-Line this year, this team just keeps moving forward. Next man up! Truly a testament to Salem's off season program.

I saw the Salem/JF benefit and didn't like either defense, but knew how young and inexperienced Salem was/is. If RKE says they've improved dramatically, I believe it.

Reactions: RKE Fan
I thought similarly. Early on, folks here went on and on about how this team would not be so successful, being that they lost so many players after last year. The problem is that Salem has talent going back years and years. So, next group up will show well. The one after that will do well also, etc.This group, with this senior class, won almost every game from junior high on...playing opponents they are seeing again. It should not be a surprise that Salem is having a good year. Yes, they have had several injured players, but those stepping up and remaining have done a superb job.

I don't think anyone was "overlooking" Salem. Simply put, Salem is Salem. They execute extrememly well and will take advantage of every mistake the opposing team gives them. That being said, I got a chance to check them out tonight and will say this. IMO, this team is faster, deeper, and seems to play better overall team defense than last years squad. I saw them in the benefit game against JF and they seem vastly improved now which is understandable with all the sophs they have playing. Those kids have matured on the field and put this team on par with last years more experienced squad. I thought last season there were a few weaknesses that would hurt Salem bigtime against a team like Lake Taylor. For one, as great as Couling was, he was not the most mobile QB in the backfield. For a team that brings the house like LT, even an extra step is going to be a huge benefit. The Beckley kid has that. Great run for a TD tonight and it's not the first time he's showed his quickness and escapability. Second, last season it was pretty much just Parker as a threat at wideout. This year Salem has speed and hands in lots of places. Tucker and Wade have breakway speed. By the time there seniors, they're both going to be bigtime. Quinn's got good moves and hands. Also, from what I've seen, the Pinello kid is fantastic out of the TE spot. Finally, on defense DeAngelo Ramsey is a beast! He seems almost at Alex's level already as a Soph. I also think Salem's secondary has more speed overall than last year's. The big question marks are O and D lines. To me, I think the D line is better and the O line not quite as good, especially after all the injuries. What say all you Salem faithful? Is this Salem team comparable to last season's? Agree or disagree on my main points? Remember, this is coming from a Northside fan (which by the way, I think has the best defense Salem has played so far...ha! ha! Just had to throw that in)

This is pretty much dead on. I think the team as a whole has improved each week. There's never been a stale week, there's always marked progression and it really shows on the defense. I also agree that this D feels a bit better than last year's. I wish there was more size on the lines, like what we had last year, but between injuries and graduation you can't get everything you want I guess. I also think the secondary, while still an issue, isn't the glaring weakness it was last year. There's a whole lot to like about a team returning so very little and a lot of what you see now you will see for the next year or two as well.

This year's been fairly unexpected. I was aware of the schedule so even with the losses I thought Claybourne and Ramsey could be ridden to a lot of wins on their own but this has been a treat. Last year was a known thing. Once 2013 ended I said the 2014 team would stroll into the title game because it was obvious how good that team was but this year? Nobody quite saw this coming and the best part is the continued improvements. Every week there's a new challenge and they've risen to it with gusto each time. I'm not going to pretend it's hard being a Salem fan but it's still fun to see them go out there and do what they do best.

On a game note, as suspected Calfee is it for PH. He played admirably but he has absolutely no help. Salem held him to 150 passing and tormented him on the ground for something like 10 yards on 12 or so carries. The kid did make some moves and create some plays and you can see a clear level of athleticism there, you have to wonder how he'd elevate an area team that maybe is just missing that QB.

Also Salem's PK finally missed an XP stopping his streak at 48 straight. Oh and Salem had a successful onside kick in the 2nd quarter leaving everyone in the stands wondering when the hell Salem ever did an onside kick early in a game and when it was successful. I'm honestly not sure it's ever happened.

1More, I was at the game tonight. That kick actually looked like it was supposed to be a pooch and came off of the kickers foot the wrong way and ended up being an onside kick.

I actually think this year's team is better overall than last year. I don't Beckley is a drop off at all and he is definitely much more mobile. Most of the incompletions I have seen from him (I have only seen two games) have been drops. Clayborne is not as consistent between the tackles as Fox was but has ridiculous breakaway speed. Alex Ramsey is even better than last year. I do think they have more receiving options, including the TE. Tucker has dropped some balls but he a huge threat to score even when he catches a short hitch route. He is going to be very tough to deal with as teams try to stack the box against that running game. The OL, considering the injuries is playing pretty well. They are blocking the second level well but aren't as strong at the point of attack as a year ago. For the last several years they have gotten the vast majority of their rushing yards going to the right and it is even more exaggerated this year. Teams are definitely trying to adjust for it but they have a nice set of plays to counter any type of unbalanced defensive alignment. When PH was able to stop the running game short, it was usually from the backside and that has more to do with the splits and how quick the back gets the ball. The counters have went for huge plays this year and really make it hard for the backside to flow too quickly.

The interior DL, in my opinion is the weakest unit on the team as it was last year. I know they have had some injuries but I want to see some guys that can get off the ball and disrupt more than they are doing, especially with their lack of size. The biggest difference in the defense is the younger Ramsey brother being on the field. Him and his brother are tough to deal with on the edge and are athletic enough in space to make a lot of plays. I think the LBs are playing just as well as last year's group. Fox is a VERY good player. The corners look to have a more speed and better ball skills than last year. I think last year's safeties were better, especially with Coleman Fox but I think the players back there this year are improving quickly.

I really like the play calling so far this year. I know they haven't shown a good portion of the playbook but they are mixing things up very well, while keeping it simple at the same time. The kickoff team is probably the thing that worries me the most. Also, PH dropped a few very long passes but I am not too concerned about that... simply because they won't face an arm like that the rest of the season.

Shout out to #15 for Patrick Henry Jake Harmon. He had some huge hits in this game... great player. Also, to the QB Calfee he made a bunch of plays and had some PERFECT deep balls that the WRs were not able to bring down.

@Shabutie something I was going to bring up, and I'm glad you did, is Salem's playcalling. I think that hurt them in Lynchburg last year. They seemed more conservative/less risky than other games I had seen of them, even though LT was begging them to throw it deep and their DBs were getting beat at times. It'll be interesting to see how Salem does in any close games this time around. Great analyses by you guys.

I think everyone saw Salem graduated 22 Seniors, that occupied 19 starting spots, and figured it would be difficult to replicate last year's results. (Myself, and most other Salem fans would be included in that) You could see the potential, but weren't sure if it could be realized this year.

I think the biggest surprise has been the play of the Sophomores who have really stepped up- #3 Quinn (CB/WR) #4 Tucker (WR) #5 Wade (CB/WR) #21 Owen (CB/PR) #38 D Ramsey (DE/FB) #40 Craft (K) 73 Mundy (T). Their contributions this year have been awesome.

The CB's have done a good job of limiting big plays (PH's speed tonight showed us there is still improvement to be made in the secondary as 2 sure TD's were dropped by receivers who were out front by a few yards) Overall though their play has been significantly better than I thought it would be at this point in their young careers. I think each of the sophomore CB's has an interception this year.

Tucker has been the go to WR and has a bunch of TD's. He also handles KO returns on occasion and really showcases his speed.

Owen has 2 PR for TD.

D Ramsey's play has been the sparkplug for the defense. He lines up at DE opposite his brother Alex and he has been spectacular. I think he probably leads the team, or is very high up, for sacks, TFL's, & hurries. I think he has a few deflections as well, although Pinello may lead the team in this category. His play on offense has been pretty darn good too. I think he has 4 or 5 TD runs as the 3rd FB or 2nd RB depending on how you look at him. His surprising play has helped others concentrate more on one job rather than 2 and improving depth on both sides of the ball.

Craft has been lights out kicking PAT's and FG this year missing only a handful of kicks between the 2 categories. He can also boot a deep KO if needed.

Finally, Mundy has been doing a great job at Tackle and Center when Herndon got hurt. He's missed a couple of games due to injury himself, but I believe he'll be back by the end of the season.

Herndon came back tonight which is a big help at Center. Barnette RG & Cummings DL are out for the year. I'm not sure of #24 CB Hudson's status for the year. He has a big knee brace so he may be done for the year as well? #2 Burnett was back at SS tonight after tweaking his knee a few weeks ago. The one positive to take from injuries, as long as they are not season ending, is it gives you more depth when the starter returns.

Reactions: RKE Fan
I think everyone saw Salem graduated 22 Seniors, that occupied 19 starting spots, and figured it would be difficult to replicate last year's results. (Myself, and most other Salem fans would be included in that) You could see the potential, but weren't sure if it could be realized this year.

I think the biggest surprise has been the play of the Sophomores who have really stepped up- #3 Quinn (CB/WR) #4 Tucker (WR) #5 Wade (CB/WR) #21 Owen (CB/PR) #38 D Ramsey (DE/FB) #40 Craft (K) 73 Mundy (T). Their contributions this year have been awesome.

The CB's have done a good job of limiting big plays (PH's speed tonight showed us there is still improvement to be made in the secondary as 2 sure TD's were dropped by receivers who were out front by a few yards) Overall though their play has been significantly better than I thought it would be at this point in their young careers. I think each of the sophomore CB's has an interception this year.

Tucker has been the go to WR and has a bunch of TD's. He also handles KO returns on occasion and really showcases his speed.

Owen has 2 PR for TD.

D Ramsey's play has been the sparkplug for the defense. He lines up at DE opposite his brother Alex and he has been spectacular. I think he probably leads the team, or is very high up, for sacks, TFL's, & hurries. I think he has a few deflections as well, although Pinello may lead the team in this category. His play on offense has been pretty darn good too. I think he has 4 or 5 TD runs as the 3rd FB or 2nd RB depending on how you look at him. His surprising play has helped others concentrate more on one job rather than 2 and improving depth on both sides of the ball.

Craft has been lights out kicking PAT's and FG this year missing only a handful of kicks between the 2 categories. He can also boot a deep KO if needed.

Finally, Mundy has been doing a great job at Tackle and Center when Herndon got hurt. He's missed a couple of games due to injury himself, but I believe he'll be back by the end of the season.

Herndon came back tonight which is a big help at Center. Barnette RG & Cummings DL are out for the year. I'm not sure of #24 CB Hudson's status for the year. He has a big knee brace so he may be done for the year as well? #2 Burnett was back at SS tonight after tweaking his knee a few weeks ago. The one positive to take from injuries, as long as they are not season ending, is it gives you more depth when the starter returns.
I saw Herndon dressed but didn't see him play much. Looks like they were trying to rest him.

I saw Herndon dressed but didn't see him play much. Looks like they were trying to rest him.
Yeah I didn't see him play much either. He probably won't be needed next week, but may play more to be ready for the big game with Pulaski.

Owen has 2 PR for TD.

Mike, great points! This group of Sophs for Salem is special. Salem always has one or two that shine, but this is a larger group for sure! I really enjoy watching DRamsey play defense, although he's great coming out of the backfield on O as well. He's taller than his brother and will be scary after another year in the weightroom. The Owens kid runs really hard and has a unique running style. Unfortunately, I've seen both of his PR touchdowns as he ran one back against us. Wade is gutsy on defense and I think Salem has yet to realize his potential as a WO. He's fast and seems athletic. His hands seemed good last year on JV, so I can only surmise they have more coming for him in the playoffs. While were on the subject of underclassmen, little has been said about the Frosh Robinson. He runs in a similar style to Barry Sanders...lower center of gravity, darty, bounces well, and when he gets loose, he's gone! His HUDL highlights are fun to watch.

@Shabutie something I was going to bring up, and I'm glad you did, is Salem's playcalling. I think that hurt them in Lynchburg last year. They seemed more conservative/less risky than other games I had seen of them, even though LT was begging them to throw it deep and their DBs were getting beat at times. It'll be interesting to see how Salem does in any close games this time around. Great analyses by you guys.

Hoos, I agree with you concerning Salem in last year's final. I think Salem's game plan was to be very conservative and use brute force to try and knock LT off the ball for 4 or 5 yard gains. It seemed reasonable as no other team had been able to stop it. However, LT's Dline was having none of that. They were quciker and just as strong and as Mike has said before, their victory in that aspect was ultimately the downfall of that Salem squad. Salem wanted to play Salem football and cash in on LT mistakes. As Devils has mentioned, their defense is "high risk/high reward." My guess is Salem was hoping there would be enough missed assignments to allow for big plays for their O. The problem was LT didn't make many mistakes. Salem exploited one or two (the Clayborne long TD comes to mind), but not enough were made for Salem to really jump on and get out ahead. Furthermore, Salem made too many mistakes themselves such as poor tackling on the PR return and Clayborne's fumble when they were driving. Fox's ankle was a factor anyway you look at it. As much as he was missed on O, I think the real casualty was on D. He was limping badly even at the start of the game. It really showed on the Shiheem run for a TD. A healthy Fox takes him down much earlier on in the play, IMO. FWIW, I still think Salem would have lost with everyone healthy, but think it would have been MUCH closer. Now, just to spark some discussion...I don't think Salem will play nearly as conservative with any team they face in the playoffs this season. They don't have to! As stated in the previous discussions, they're deeper, faster, and the defense has really come together for what IMO is an overall stronger unit. In the West, Woodgrove, Champe, GW, Sherando, and of course, JF are great teams that will be tough for anyone, Salem included. I'm also interested in Pulaski, although I don't think they're at the elite level in 4A West "yet". In any case, the playoffs are not far away and all this will get sorted out soon enough.

First of all , great win ! Secondly , one game at a time ! Have to survive gauntlet of very good teams before we even think about Lake Taylor , who is on a different level . Their first line defense is very good and second line defense is best in the state . Even if you get by them they will knock the ball out from behind . That happened 2 or 3 times in second half last year and they won special teams battle last year .

Reactions: mike salem
@Shabutie you're probably right, I honestly was looking down at my phone and when I turned my head up we were recovering it.

@RKE Fan Robinson is the backup TB as a frosh, I can't tell you the last time one of those has gotten as much PT so you know the staff is excited about his potential. Basically what will happen next year is he'll move up to replace Claybourne and the younger Ramsey will replace his brother. Deangelo is faster and bigger than Alex so I'm excited to see him really get to carry the ball behind the first team OL and show his potential for the next 2 years. Robinson is as fast or faster than Claybourne but not as big right now, almost exactly how Claybourne was when he was younger(very small, went down easier) but he improved greatly over the past couple of years so I look for much of the same from Robinson.

Hoos, I agree with you concerning Salem in last year's final. I think Salem's game plan was to be very conservative and use brute force to try and knock LT off the ball for 4 or 5 yard gains. It seemed reasonable as no other team had been able to stop it. However, LT's Dline was having none of that. They were quciker and just as strong and as Mike has said before, their victory in that aspect was ultimately the downfall of that Salem squad. Salem wanted to play Salem football and cash in on LT mistakes. As Devils has mentioned, their defense is "high risk/high reward." My guess is Salem was hoping there would be enough missed assignments to allow for big plays for their O. The problem was LT didn't make many mistakes. Salem exploited one or two (the Clayborne long TD comes to mind), but not enough were made for Salem to really jump on and get out ahead. Furthermore, Salem made too many mistakes themselves such as poor tackling on the PR return and Clayborne's fumble when they were driving. Fox's ankle was a factor anyway you look at it. As much as he was missed on O, I think the real casualty was on D. He was limping badly even at the start of the game. It really showed on the Shiheem run for a TD. A healthy Fox takes him down much earlier on in the play, IMO. FWIW, I still think Salem would have lost with everyone healthy, but think it would have been MUCH closer. Now, just to spark some discussion...I don't think Salem will play nearly as conservative with any team they face in the playoffs this season. They don't have to! As stated in the previous discussions, they're deeper, faster, and the defense has really come together for what IMO is an overall stronger unit. In the West, Woodgrove, Champe, GW, Sherando, and of course, JF are great teams that will be tough for anyone, Salem included. I'm also interested in Pulaski, although I don't think they're at the elite level in 4A West "yet". In any case, the playoffs are not far away and all this will get sorted out soon enough.
Actually, I thought this was a good game plan by Salem last year based on the fact that the teams that had the most success against LT were the squads that ran it right at them. Even today, I would hold with that plan and incorporate some lessons learned from last year.

As far as Salem goes, I doubted they would be as proficient this season after all the losses due to graduation but they started strong and have improved each week. No matter who you're playing, a team that has simply dominated each opponent over the course of the season, cannot be ignored. Salem is definitely #1 in the West. Don't forget to thanks Mag's whenever you see him. Great Coach that has forged one heck of a program.

I wouldn't be overlooking the Spartans just because they lost 17 starters last year. PH was supposed to challenge Salem----34-7 half 51-14 final

Danville Sports Head??? Your comments???
Good win for Salem going forward. I saw PH as Salem's only roadblock to a second consecutive undefeated regular season and they showed once again that they're an elite team and program. They still have to beat Pulaski but IMHO I don't see them being challenged until at least the 3rd round of the playoffs, especially if they're the 1 seed.

Probably won't be able to pull the 1 seed from JF but week 11 is going to be interesting because Pulaski could be worth 40 points if they come in undefeated and Salem wins. That's going to be worth I think a little over a point rise for Salem if it plays out as such.

Mike, great points! This group of Sophs for Salem is special. Salem always has one or two that shine, but this is a larger group for sure! I really enjoy watching DRamsey play defense, although he's great coming out of the backfield on O as well. He's taller than his brother and will be scary after another year in the weightroom. The Owens kid runs really hard and has a unique running style. Unfortunately, I've seen both of his PR touchdowns as he ran one back against us. Wade is gutsy on defense and I think Salem has yet to realize his potential as a WO. He's fast and seems athletic. His hands seemed good last year on JV, so I can only surmise they have more coming for him in the playoffs. While were on the subject of underclassmen, little has been said about the Frosh Robinson. He runs in a similar style to Barry Sanders...lower center of gravity, darty, bounces well, and when he gets loose, he's gone! His HUDL highlights are fun to watch.
Robinson is small 5'4" 150, but he has the speed of Clayborne a bit more elusive. He'll be pulled up for the playoffs and will be Varsity next year for sure. It would be exciting to see him running behind the starting OL for a change. He hasn't really been able to showcase his skills yet.

A couple other guys to watch for moving to Varsity once playoffs start:

#44 Paisley Sophomore DE/MLB/FB 6' 191. Looks tenacious on defense. He would already be on Varsity if his positions weren't already the deepest on the team.

#63 Cardwell Freshman DT/T 6' 230, he would have to change his # since that's Wall's #. With all of the injuries on the lines he could be used for depth this year.

#17 A Close Freshman TE/WR/DE 6'3" 173. Younger brother of Tyler, could be used in situations that require a tall WR.

There is another Ramsey in the pipeline his name is Lewis. OMHDC said he may be the best of the bunch. That would be saying something there. I think he was 7th grade this year. There is also Isaac Harris, younger brother of Isaiah, he was 8th grade this year. A couple to look forward to in the future assuming they continue to develop as they have.

Owen has 2 PR for TD.

I've been reading this board for many years but joined up today to correct the record. Grey Wolf has been the starting (and only) center in every game beginning with Blacksburg. Wolfe is a junior and has been playing center since his days in sandlot. His dad played center for Coach White back in the early 90's. He wears #74 when in at center and #88 at TE. He played his John Brown hind parts off Friday night against PH and has done an excellent job stepping up when his team needed him. He's a fine young man. I felt it best to give credit where credit is due. That is all.

I've been reading this board for many years but joined up today to correct the record. Grey Wolf has been the starting (and only) center in every game beginning with Blacksburg. Wolfe is a junior and has been playing center since his days in sandlot. His dad played center for Coach White back in the early 90's. He wears #74 when in at center and #88 at TE. He played his John Brown hind parts off Friday night against PH and has done an excellent job stepping up when his team needed him. He's a fine young man. I felt it best to give credit where credit is due. That is all.
He is a big strong kid glad to see him in there. With the injuries to Herndon and Mundy and now them coming back with Grey at C has added much needed depth to the line. Pinello has done well at TE also. Thank you for the correction. The next man up is absolutely true especially after losing Barnette and with the other guys out several weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT