ADVERTISEMENT

Salem 51. Patrick Henry Roanoke 34

southbottomU

VaPreps All District
Dec 5, 2004
Salem fell behind 21. 7 in second quarter. Salem down 21. 14 at half
Salem secondary got beat on three 50/50 deep balls.
Persinger did not play in first half.
Offensive line improving.
Secondary had poor game.
Martinsburg next Friday

Freaky stuff happens over at PH. 56-42 over there two years ago. Let me just say - if I never see “Santa Claus” as the head referee in another game, it will be too soon for me. Every single game he works is a massive, confusion-laden cluster***k. The game took almost three hours. Tons of penalties, endless conferences, and the inevitable half dozen blown calls. Business as usual when he’s running the show.

Very disheartened to see Zavione Wood go out with an injury in the first half. Salem needs him badly, on both sides of the ball. And - they need to get him the damn ball! Anyone have any insights as to the nature and severity of his injury?

Freaky stuff happens over at PH. 56-42 over there two years ago. Let me just say - if I never see “Santa Claus” as the head referee in another game, it will be too soon for me. Every single game he works is a massive, confusion-laden cluster***k. The game took almost three hours. Tons of penalties, endless conferences, and the inevitable half dozen blown calls. Business as usual when he’s running the show.

Very disheartened to see Zavione Wood go out with an injury in the first half. Salem needs him badly, on both sides of the ball. And - they need to get him the damn ball! Anyone have any insights as to the nature and severity of his injury?

I mean, he had his helmet on and standing with the rest of the guys in the 2nd half, probably just held out as a precaution. Didn't notice his foot/ankle wrapped up crazy or anything.

345 yds rushing. 157 yards passing
Gave up 353 yards passing for PH

Persinger 147 yards rushing playing only in second half

Reactions: lyhsports
Just an interesting observation from afar, but the Spartans are giving up 23 points a game to teams with a winning record so far. I don't know the statistics from years past, but that seems to be a touchdown to 10 points higher than normal. On paper, that doesn't bode well against teams such as Martinsburg, or those they may meet in the playoffs.

Just an interesting observation from afar, but the Spartans are giving up 23 points a game to teams with a winning record so far. I don't know the statistics from years past, but that seems to be a touchdown to 10 points higher than normal. On paper, that doesn't bode well against teams such as Martinsburg, or those they may meet in the playoffs.

You're not really saying anything people don't know. I don't see anyone trying to project Salem as a potential title winning team, they simply aren't this year. 9-1 is a great season for a ton of teams but it's your typical regular season for Salem and has been for 30+ years now. This is a 12-13 game team which again, is basically your typical Salem team but that's not the standard for excellence in Salem.

Salem has played one sub-.500 team so far. Blacksburg 5-2, Franklin County 4-2, Cburg 3-3, PH 4-3, Northside 4-2 with games left against unbeaten Martinsburg, 4-2 HV and 6-1 Pulaski County, it's really not surprising they aren't blowing everyone out. There hasn't been this much parity on Salem's schedule in a very long time.

Reactions: RKE Fan

I agree with the spirit of your statement. Salem really needs to shore up the play in the defensive secondary to have a good chance at victory, not only this week, but also against the stronger playoff teams. The last three weeks, the secondary has developed an unsettling tendency to let guys run wide open for fifteen yard completions, after getting the opposing offense into third-and-long situations. So, that needs to be fixed, pronto.

As far as the numbers, I’m not sure they mean that much. In the 2017 regular season, the Spartans played five teams that finished the season with winning records. In those five games, Salem gave up an average of 32 points per game. But the defense - especially what was then a veteran secondary - got it together in the postseason, and Salem completed the three-peat. So, this year’s Spartans still have time to tighten down the bolts - though it ain’t getting any earlier.

Another thing that looks really bad on paper, but probably doesn’t mean that much, is Martinsburg’s schedule. So far, the Bulldogs’ seven opponents have compiled a record of 16-29. The only one of the seven with a winning record at this point is Academy Park, PA (outside of Philly), at 6-1. So take them out, and the other six teams Martinsburg has played are 10-28. Strictly my own opinion, of course, but I’d say five of those teams - the three from WV, and the two from DC - would qualify as anywhere from “bad” to “pitiful”, relative to Virginia Class 4 teams. I saw some of the Washington-Martinsburg game on YouTube, and Washington might give Craig County a good game.

So, aside from a couple of games against Virginia, or maybe Pennsylvania schools every year, Martinsburg’s schedule is almost completely laughable. So what? That obviously hasn’t held the Bulldogs back. They’re an excellent program that wins consistently against the better West Virginia teams, despite almost never seeing that quality of competition during the regular season.

I have always admired Salem's willingness to schedule tough opponents during the regular season, especially the last few years with Dinwiddie and Martinsburg. There is obviously support from the school administration for doing so, or these games with considerable travel distances would not be approved. I will say that I would love to see Salem and LB renew a regular season series with the level Coach Harless has gotten the LB program to.

You're not really saying anything people don't know. I don't see anyone trying to project Salem as a potential title winning team, they simply aren't this year. 9-1 is a great season for a ton of teams but it's your typical regular season for Salem and has been for 30+ years now. This is a 12-13 game team which again, is basically your typical Salem team but that's not the standard for excellence in Salem.

Salem has played one sub-.500 team so far. Blacksburg 5-2, Franklin County 4-2, Cburg 3-3, PH 4-3, Northside 4-2 with games left against unbeaten Martinsburg, 4-2 HV and 6-1 Pulaski County, it's really not surprising they aren't blowing everyone out. There hasn't been this much parity on Salem's schedule in a very long time.
I was thinking about this at PH Friday night. All in all, a pretty strong argument can be made that Salem has had one of their tougher schedules in some time. Aside from Amherst and Christiansburg, they've had soild match-ups. When you look at Franklin County taking out Magna Vista, Northside edging Hidden Valley and rolling Galax, Blacksburg's victory against PH and overall team speed, PH's close games with HV and Blacksburg and win against Brookville, Salem's wins really have come against above-average squads. Hell, even Christiansburg was vastly improved from the past few years. I do think Martinsburg will be the stiffest competition yet, although I'm not completely sold on them being at the level of a Glass, Louisa, or Broad Run at this point.

I was thinking about this at PH Friday night. All in all, a pretty strong argument can be made that Salem has had one of their tougher schedules in some time. Aside from Amherst and Christiansburg, they've had soild match-ups. When you look at Franklin County taking out Magna Vista, Northside edging Hidden Valley and rolling Galax, Blacksburg's victory against PH and overall team speed, PH's close games with HV and Blacksburg and win against Brookville, Salem's wins really have come against above-average squads. Hell, even Christiansburg was vastly improved from the past few years. I do think Martinsburg will be the stiffest competition yet, although I'm not completely sold on them being at the level of a Glass, Louisa, or Broad Run at this point.

Those three teams you named in your last sentence are the three that I consider the favorites to win the Class 4 title, and no, I don’t think Martinsburg or Salem would currently beat any of the three. I expect Salem and Martinsburg to be pretty evenly-matched. Of course, I’ve been wrong before, but...we’ll see, in five short days!

I have always admired Salem's willingness to schedule tough opponents during the regular season, especially the last few years with Dinwiddie and Martinsburg. There is obviously support from the school administration for doing so, or these games with considerable travel distances would not be approved. I will say that I would love to see Salem and LB renew a regular season series with the level Coach Harless has gotten the LB program to.

Both ADs and the Salem staff were in favor of renewing the series with LB, but Coach Harless was not interested. I have heard this directly from one of the parties involved.

Reactions: mike salem
That is disappointing. I can maybe understand where Coach Harless is coming from in that they already play a pretty good non-district schedule with Blacksburg, Bluefield, and Brookville. Nonetheless, I don't understand why LB wouldn't want to trade one of those games for Salem. Do VHSL teams get rider points from out of state teams for games they win in other states? If not, it would make sense to drop Bluefield and play Salem, whom you know with a win, you would get 16+ rider points (8+ wins)

I agree with the spirit of your statement. Salem really needs to shore up the play in the defensive secondary to have a good chance at victory, not only this week, but also against the stronger playoff teams. The last three weeks, the secondary has developed an unsettling tendency to let guys run wide open for fifteen yard completions, after getting the opposing offense into third-and-long situations. So, that needs to be fixed, pronto.

As far as the numbers, I’m not sure they mean that much. In the 2017 regular season, the Spartans played five teams that finished the season with winning records. In those five games, Salem gave up an average of 32 points per game. But the defense - especially what was then a veteran secondary - got it together in the postseason, and Salem completed the three-peat. So, this year’s Spartans still have time to tighten down the bolts - though it ain’t getting any earlier.

Another thing that looks really bad on paper, but probably doesn’t mean that much, is Martinsburg’s schedule. So far, the Bulldogs’ seven opponents have compiled a record of 16-29. The only one of the seven with a winning record at this point is Academy Park, PA (outside of Philly), at 6-1. So take them out, and the other six teams Martinsburg has played are 10-28. Strictly my own opinion, of course, but I’d say five of those teams - the three from WV, and the two from DC - would qualify as anywhere from “bad” to “pitiful”, relative to Virginia Class 4 teams. I saw some of the Washington-Martinsburg game on YouTube, and Washington might give Craig County a good game.

So, aside from a couple of games against Virginia, or maybe Pennsylvania schools every year, Martinsburg’s schedule is almost completely laughable. So what? That obviously hasn’t held the Bulldogs back. They’re an excellent program that wins consistently against the better West Virginia teams, despite almost never seeing that quality of competition during the regular season.
Good points on everything you've said here. I don't know the inside scoop, but my guess is that Holter and company have spent a lot of time trying to shore up the O-line after the first few games. It showed on Friday night...finally. Shabutie knows a lot more about down blocking than I do, so maybe he could chime in with what he saw. To me, it was Salem's best performance on the offensive front by far. My point is that a shift in focus to the defensive secondary is now in order. Holter said as much in an interview post-game Friday night. The good news is that Salem is not lacking with the intangibles. Logan, Collins, and the twins are fast, have great size, and are athletic. I'm going with a "fix" to be not just possible, but highly probable. I really like this team and think they may just turn a corner towards state contender by season's end.
You're also right about Martinsburg. Great program. Great team. Horrible schedule. I watched a few of their games on Youtube as well and came to the same conclusion as you did. Even looking at the last few years, victories by 70+ points against their opponents were not uncommon. Yet, with the one team familiar to Salem (Sherando), close games were often in order. That's not taking anything away from Martinsburg. They're darn good! They remind me of a combination of Franklin County's size and Blacksburg's speed. That alone tells me Salem will have to put a full game together and play at their highest level so far this season to have a shot. But, I absolutely think it's possible they come away with a win. Either way, Salem will be battle-tested come playoff time for sure.

That is disappointing. I can maybe understand where Coach Harless is coming from in that they already play a pretty good non-district schedule with Blacksburg, Bluefield, and Brookville. Nonetheless, I don't understand why LB wouldn't want to trade one of those games for Salem. Do VHSL teams get rider points from out of state teams for games they win in other states? If not, it would make sense to drop Bluefield and play Salem, whom you know with a win, you would get 16+ rider points (8+ wins)

“Do VHSL teams get rider points from out of state teams for games they win in other states?“

Yes. As long as it’s a public school, an out-of-state opponent is treated the same as Virginia teams in the VHSL rating scale.

I believe the Salem AD was looking for a strong replacement on the level of Dinwiddie and sent out inquiries to a number of good programs. Martinsburg had an opening for the same week as Salem had an opening. (I believe it was a bye week last cycle) Dinwiddie had been Week 3, so the bye week was moved to Week 3 and Martinsburg filled Week 8. JV's will not play each other.

Those three teams you named in your last sentence are the three that I consider the favorites to win the Class 4 title, and no, I don’t think Martinsburg or Salem would currently beat any of the three. I expect Salem and Martinsburg to be pretty evenly-matched. Of course, I’ve been wrong before, but...we’ll see, in five short days!
Martinsburg and Broad Run have history having played twice with Martinsburg winning both by large margins. They also use to scrimmage. No history with Louisa or Glass but I’m sure if the opportunity was there to make it happen it would happen.

Martinsburg and Broad Run have history having played twice with Martinsburg winning both by large margins. They also use to scrimmage. No history with Louisa or Glass but I’m sure if the opportunity was there to make it happen it would happen.
No offense but when BR & Mart. played in 05 & 06 BR wasn't the program they are now. (They were 1-9 & 5-5 those years)

Some Salem fans have been harsh on their team this year, but they have the pieces to be every bit as good as the title teams. As has been stated a lot before, Franklin always plays Salem tough, so that game is an anomaly to me, even though Franklin is much improved. If the new head coach takes one thing from Coach Mags's book, it should be that he'll get his best weapons the ball more in the bigger games. I expect that this week. Persinger is fast as hell and Wood is a beast, I expect them to get fed a lot this week and the play-action passing to click. I hope and pray Santa Claus does not do this game, it would be a hot mess. I also hope Martinsburg doesn't take Salem seriously, because the game can become 35-0 faster than you can say Sherando.

Last edited:
Martinsburg has a 49 game winning streak. Salem is at home and they'll not want to look bad in front of the home fans. I expect it to be a big playoff like game atmosphere.

The reality is this is just one regular season game. The winner doesn't get a ring and the loser isn't precluded from getting a ring in a couple of months. This game is really just a stepping stone. It's about improving every week.

In my opinion the game will be played like Dinwiddie was a couple of years ago. The players will be pushing to win this game. (The coaches would like that result also) BUT, neither team wants to give away their whole bag of tricks if they don't have to. (Martinsburg has a lot of space between them and their nearest competition in WV)

I think Salem will be a 10-14 point underdog. But either way this game result will not be a season ender. Dinwiddie beat Salem a couple of years ago, Blacksburg trounced Salem the next game. And then Salem just seemed like a different team when the playoffs rolled around.

This year the big game is closer to the playoffs so I would hope Salem looks playoff ready.

So I've posted this long diatribe pontificating what could happen, but no one really knows what will happen. The game could play out in a few different ways. Both teams could play it a little conservative and just evaluate improvement/and things that need more attention, looking toward the playoffs. Both teams could go all out to win this big game. I expect we'll get something in between. Just my 2 cents

No offense but when BR & Mart. played in 05 & 06 BR wasn't the program they are now. (They were 1-9 & 5-5 those years)
That is exactly right. People in the area can look at Martinsburg's more recent games with PH for a better view of Martinsburg's relative comparisons to state of Virginia teams.

VHSL has list of out of state teams that are recognized in VA (with the weekly ratings). They are also listed in the Division that they would most likely be in if they were a VA school.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT