ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Brookville Scrimmage

DanvilleSportsHead

VaPreps All District
Sep 24, 2014
North Danville, VA
Great seeing @mike salem and had the pleasure of meeting @lyhsports. My dad and I had a blast! Salem’s O Line looks to be in mid season form. Gave up about 2 sacks but credit a very very good Brookville line for putting pressure on the QB. Salem is absolutely loaded up front. D Line made a lot of progress as the scrimmage went on. Salem’s young secondary had a lot of trouble against the potent Brookville passing attack and Brookville had some success running. I believe #31 Chandler Sutphin will be Salem’s big play threat. Kid had some very nice runs. Salem’s playcalling was very vanilla so hard to get a good gauge. Salem’s young receivers will be very good by district time. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I had Brookville 33-14 when I left (don’t know if the Brookville pick 6 counted so it may have been 27-14). If Brookville isn’t the top 3a team in the state then I’d like to see who in 3a is better!

Last edited:
We have a lot of work ahead of us we got man handled corners played horrible D line and O line look decent. To early to tell but coach has a hard year ahead of him

Great seeing @mike salem and had the pleasure of meeting @lyhsports. My dad and I had a blast! Salem’s O Line looks to be in mid season form. Gave up about 2 sacks but credit a very very good Brookville line for putting pressure on the QB. Salem is absolutely loaded up front. D Line made a lot of progress as the scrimmage went on. Salem’s young secondary had a lot of trouble against the potent Brookville passing attack and Brookville had some success running. I believe #31 Chandler Sutphin will be Salem’s big play threat. Kid had some very nice runs. Salem’s playcalling was very vanilla so hard to get a good gauge. Salem’s young receivers will be very good by district time. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I had Brookville 33-14 when I left (don’t know if the Brookville pick 6 counted so it may have been 27-14). If Brookville isn’t the top 3a team in the state then I’d like to see who in 3a is better!
That one got called back praise the lord but too early to tell much. We will see how it,goes from here.

Also, with the way they played 20 plays on offense and 20 on defense it was hard to gauge but as usual Salem gave up big plays on passing plays early in the season. Brookville has experienced receivers. Salem has no returning starters there. So that was expected. They will get better.

DBs being weak was expected, at least. But that's why coaches have a job, we'll see how the season goes.

The pleasure was all mine! Great to meet you and your dad, also glad to meet Mr @mike salem! Just like mike told me after the scrimmage, it showed a lot about how good Brookville is. I heard a coach from brookville tell Glaize, “show them why you are the best player on the field!” He gets a pick six on the first pass play. I was very impressed by him and Brendon Brown. Both made plays. Brookville D Line put plenty of pressure on the quarterback. Brookville will be a huge problem for the Seminole and Class 3 as I expected.

Salem looked good up front, Avery Close is the truth! Their secondary and receivers are young and should catch on by playoff time.

Realistic Seminole hopes for Brookville in your opinion? You think 10-0 is possible or is 7-3 or 8-2 more likely?

8-2 or 9-1, if they are healthy they should see Heritage again in the region championship, and it will be a much closer game this time. As tough as the Seminole will be, I doubt they’ll go 10-0. But they will be very good.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Glaze & Brown had over 100 yards catching a Pieace missed two TD over thrown but not bad first start nobody is perfect . He’ll only get better with every game !! I was impressed with brookville front 7 played better then I have ever seen !!

North looked good on both sides of the ball also.

It was great to see @DanvilleSportsHead and meet @lyhsports. Good talking to you both. Sorry I missed you @HokieTDTech. Brookville should be a tough 3A team and a Top 3 team in the Seminole. #1 & #11 did a good job at WR for Brookville, as well as the QB. Salem has work to do, but there were some bright spots too. The 2 scores Salem had were receptions by #80 & #11, a Sophomore and a Freshman if I'm not mistaken.

Brookville looked very good. Quality play up front and big time receivers + solid backs will make them very hard to defend. I don't see them being a great defensive team this year but I think they will be good on that side of the ball and #11 will cover up for many mistakes. They don't have many glaring weaknesses and the front 7 held up against a talented Salem line, or half of a line rather.

This Salem team is interesting. They have more size than I have seen a Salem team have in a very long time and they have a ton of really talented young skill players. Some of the older guys struggled the most and that will be interesting to see going forward. I think the young guys will really push for playing time and could possibly earn spots. Some of the corner play from Salem is as bad as I have ever seen and per usual they aren't a very good tackling team right now, though that usually fixes itself with time. The safety play wasn't very good either. Brookville was able to run post/wheel whenever they wanted and BOTH receivers were open by 15 yards on one of them.

On the plus side it was probably good for Salem's biggest question mark (Secondary) to face such a high level opponent in the passing game this early. This can help prepare them for teams like Dinwiddie and Blacksburg.

While Salem is notoriously not very impressive in scrimmages this was probably the worst beatdown I have seen them take in this setting. I still think Salem will be more vulnerable this year than they have been or will be in future years but I'm not panicking yet.

Salem will get better, they always do. Trust the process, however most knowledgeable observers knew that Salem was going to have trouble in the secondary and had no proven playmakers. This is a 7-3 football team that could be dangerous in the playoffs if they can figure something out in the secondary. But, sometimes there is nothing to figure out, you just don't have enough athletes.

It was 28-7 with the ones each team scored with the 2s in the game. All of Brookville's interceptions came with the 2s in the game and no fumbles for either team. Salem is BIG and will be fine come regular season and beyond. Salem's only score with the 1's came on a long pass very little consistent run game. Brookville was really close to breaking this wide open with a couple missed over throws on long passes and some phantom flags on long runs. At the end of the day no one hands out rings for how you did in a scrimmage and everyone will start with a 0-0 record.

Dag Salem is done.
Lol Free. Yep, stick a fork in the Spartans, schedule Carroll County to boost their confidence and pray for improvement in 2019.

Don't think thats what Hoos meant. Many of our teams lost solid talent and our young teams are trying to find their identities. By the end of the season we shall see where we all fall. Whether true or not hearing of Salem struggles give hope to many fans and teams.

Just saw your post @HokieTDTech. Yep, heard Northside and Fleming don't have enough players to form a team and their studs are transferring to Salem to form a Super Power!

Reactions: freeatlast2013
After Salem controlled scrimmage the favorites are Brookville in Division 3 and Louisa in Division 4 since they beat Brookville in scrimmage.

Not beat Brookville, but dominated them over two or three days. So yes, if your inexperienced players can dominate a team that just dominated Salem, you should feel good. Teams adjust and improve, and it's still preseason. To consider Louisa or Brookville as favorites for anything, with so many unanswered questions, sarcasm or not, would be silly. We all know Salem will improve and end up right where they usually be.

Last edited:
Not beat Brookville, but dominated them over two or three days. So yes, if your inexperienced players can dominate a team that just dominated Salem, you should feel good. Teams adjust and improve, and it's still preseason. To consider Louisa or Brookville as favorites for anything, with so many unanswered questions, sarcasm or not, would be silly. We all know Salem will improve and end up right where they usually be.
Louisa did not dominate us none of our ones played the second day Lol JV kids and 2nd string lol this dude tripping And Loisa is not going to win state because they don’t be have a passing game . Just ask JF how’s that ground and pound working out for them lol

Last edited:
Reactions: iskolinbckers
Don’t get me wrong they have a great team ! I can’t take away anything from that they’ll have a great shot to be there at the end . Thing that hurts them they have all these athletes just bottled up with no passing game at all . Just clarifying that none of our first string played against them 2nd day . We had a QB taking snaps off a terrible leg injury for the first time since he played JV . One dimensional teams Hurt them selves playoff time . Again just ask JF

@HokieTDTech Louisa made it to the final last year with less of a passing game than they'll have this year. If they couldn't pass last year, they would not have beaten Monacan or Dinwiddie. Just ask teams like Sherando, that threw for over 2500 yards and umpteen TDs last year, how that passing game helped them against Salem.

And JF's offense is fine, it's their defense that prevents them from going all the way. I don't see why more folks don't see things like that, the bigger picture. If Brookville had a stout running game, they'd have more titles than they do.

My point is this loisa will
Never beat Salem because they don’t have a passing game . U can’t run the ball against Salem no team can u have to beat them in the air .

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT