ADVERTISEMENT

Salem/Brookville Scrimmage

@HokieTDTech umm Louisa ran for 295 yards on Salem last year. Ramsey and the Lion defense hurt Louisa more than anything. My point is, you need just enough offense, whether it's running or passing, AND just enough defense to win it all. Defense let Louisa down more than lack of a potent passing game.

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
One guy doesn't make a difference against Salem or any good team. And most of Ramsey's success came running away from Smith and forcing Louisa's other guys to make plays. Smith made a ton of great plays in the playoffs against the state's best, he proved himself enough.

We scrimmage Salem every year and yet they haven’t stop are passing game 4 years now . But all the teams they play are run oriented it plays into there hands . Plus Louisa benefits playing week District .

Reactions: iskolinbckers
But Salem still "beats" you guys every year in these scrimmages, except this year, correct? And Louisa beat Monacan and Dinwiddie on the road, did the weak district benefit them there?

Are 1’s vs there 1’s we tired are won I know we beat them last night like loisa wish they could in Dec Look I got steaks on grill and corona in hand u envoy your evening sir I’m not wasting my time on this any more . Good luck on your season

Are 1’s vs there 1’s we tired are won I know we beat them last night like loisa wish they could in Dec Look I got steaks on grill and corona in hand u envoy your evening sir I’m not wasting my time on this any more . Good luck on your season
Sounds like that's not the first Corona you've had in your hand today Hokie, just ribbing.

One guy doesn't make a difference against Salem or any good team. And most of Ramsey's success came running away from Smith and forcing Louisa's other guys to make plays. Smith made a ton of great plays in the playoffs against the state's best, he proved himself enough.
How do you run away from a middle linebacker?

@close2salem the last touchdown was when it was already back up to a two-possession game and was out of reach, with a couple of minutes left correct? I'm talking about when the game was still competitive, not already in hand. Again, the reason Salem built and kept their lead was mostly stretch plays, or running off tackle and off TE, away from the middle. Louisa's DE, OLB, and CB needed to step up but didn't.

Salem did nothing special in the offensive line play against Louisa. There was nothing in the game plan to run at a particular player or away from a player. The 80 yard td that Ramsey scored and put the game away was Salen running their base offense. Fullback lead off tackle (can't get more vanilla than that). . It was just executed well ----nothing special-----not running away from anyone. Salem does what Salem does. No special double teams just for Louisa---Salem never does that type of thing. They do things offensively the same every game. They will do some special things on defense based on strengths and weaknesses of their opponent. But not on offense

Salem did nothing special in the offensive line play against Louisa. There was nothing in the game plan to run at a particular player or away from a player. The 80 yard td that Ramsey scored and put the game away was Salen running their base offense. Fullback lead off tackle (can't get more vanilla than that). . It was just executed well ----nothing special-----not running away from anyone. Salem does what Salem does. No special double teams just for Louisa---Salem never does that type of thing. They do things offensively the same every game. They will do some special things on defense based on strengths and weaknesses of their opponent. But not on offense
I actually agree with this post.

Smith still had 14 tackles, 2 for a loss, blocked a field goal and forced a fumble, so it's not like he was just out there to look pretty.

So Salem had no special offensive game plan for Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie either?

Reactions: DanvilleSportsHead
Smith still had 14 tackles, 2 for a loss, blocked a field goal and forced a fumble, so it's not like he was just out there to look pretty.

So Salem had no special offensive game plan for Lake Taylor or Dinwiddie either?
Ran the same plays blocked the same way as they ran all year long, in fact year after year. They did make defensive adjustments. This has been true for 30 years.

I believe a lot of people said to stick a fork in Salem after last years drubbing they received against Blacksburg. No need to remind people how the rest of the season played out.

@redzone4us that's my point as well. It's a compliment to Salem's program nowadays when teams can get some lickings in on them and you feel good about your own potential. Again, Salem will be a different team when it matters.

There's a "however" this year, though: there's no DeAngelo Ramsey. Is his little brother still playing? Having such a skilled and big offensive line will carry them far again, but who will step up to break tackles or juke people out, and who will catch big time first downs besides Close? Stay tuned.

I just feel there will be a lot of crow eating going on this year but I’m still undecided on who’s eating it lol. I’ll give it a few weeks and then see what my opinion is.. not that it matters lol!

I’m really looking forward to seeing how the Salem db’s mature as the year goes on. They’ll take some lumps, but that’s ok. All four are new and should get much better. Hope the fans will get behind em and give them time.

Since when has scrimmages become a trash talking point and a chest pounder.

Not saying they are meaningless, but they are practice. Coaches look at them different. We go from This team whooped up on that team, but the next game we weren't playing our good guys? I wonder why they didn't play both the same way with the same guys if they are a reason for bragging rights.

Fun fact that has to do with football but not high school. Guess who had the best preseason record in NFL last year? 4-0 Cleveland Browns. They then proceeded to go 0-16.

Maybe scrimmages aren't the end all be all, we are so much better talking point

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT