ADVERTISEMENT

Salem @ JF game will be Saturday @ 7

mike salem

Nov 2, 2009
Salem
Teams agreed to Saturday @7 because the band will be in the Salem Christmas Parade on Friday evening. Good that JF was accommodating, the band really adds to the atmosphere. JF usually has a good band also, so there will be a battle on the field and a battle of the bands in the stands.

But where at? I might make the trip

Last edited:
I admire JF for working with the Salem admin. and agreeing to play on Sat., because it sounds like JF really wanted to play on Friday. Not only would Salem's band not have been there, but I'd say a significant number of fans wouldn't have gone to the game either, due to the conflict. The Christmas parade is actually a pretty big activity for the community, and many families with children in the parade in some capacity - be it the bands or one of many organizations - would have had no choice but to miss the football game.

Again, thanks to the JF people for being good sports.

I would hope that after JF agreed to play on Saturday when they wanted Friday... Salem will agree to play at JF whether the VHSL requires it or not

Reactions: wikki
I would hope that after JF agreed to play on Saturday when they wanted Friday... Salem will agree to play at JF whether the VHSL requires it or not

I'm sure if JF promises bleachers and amenities Salem will have no problem. It's not as though it's a long distance so you know there could be easily 5,000+ there without trying given Salem's reputation for traveling as well as other area fans who want to see the matchup on top of JF's own raucous fanbase. Bleachers or not, because people can sit on the field, the number of toilets that you guys have is well below standard for even 1,000 people and not remotely close to what you will need for a game that is going to be this crowded. I've seen you remain very quiet whenever this stuff gets brought up which leads me to believe the horror stories people tell are true. Your fans deserve better than that if that's the case.

Agree to what having "the pride of Salem" only ones sitting on the concrete cause they will fill the whole thing themselves. I think it goes way beyond JF or Salem if they play there or not. There was a lot of things mentioned in the vhsl bylaws that had to be in place and JF is missing several. I agree I do think JF should be able to play at home but if the amenities aren't there then hey fix your house up. This itself should be motivation to redo that stadium

The Semifinals and Finals are completely controlled by the VHSL. If they feel the accommodations won't maximize attendance and thereby profit, they will move it. I hope they can get seating for about 6,000. Salem brought about 800 fans to a game 3 hrs away. I think that number will be bigger considering it's only an hour away & they saw how good the matchup would be from the benefit game at the beginning of the season. People were talking after the game that these teams would likely meet again and were excited about that prospect.

If the game were in Salem I think there would be a full house, just over 7,000. (Not suggesting it be moved to Salem) City Stadium would be able to handle that crowd I believe, not sure JF's facilities even with the extra bleachers will be suitable to the VHSL?

The Semifinals and Finals are completely controlled by the VHSL. If they feel the accommodations won't maximize attendance and thereby profit, they will move it. I hope they can get seating for about 6,000. Salem brought about 800 fans to a game 3 hrs away. I think that number will be bigger considering it's only an hour away & they saw how good the matchup would be from the benefit game at the beginning of the season. People were talking after the game that these teams would likely meet again and were excited about that prospect.

If the game were in Salem I think there would be a full house, just over 7,000. (Not suggesting it be moved to Salem) City Stadium would be able to handle that crowd I believe, not sure JF's facilities even with the extra bleachers will be suitable to the VHSL?
Who wants to use a porta potty or what vhsl administrator wants to be present in those type of conditions. Vhsl is all about the money. Hey they already forced Essex to move its game to King George high school and that's 1A.

Reactions: mike salem

All they have to do is bring in the portable bleachers. We had to and will do it again this week so we can host at home. Not as gigantic of a deal as some are making it.

All they have to do is bring in the portable bleachers. We had to and will do it again this week so we can host at home. Not as gigantic of a deal as some are making it.
No offense but there will probably be 3x more people at this game. Not the same type of challenge.

Mike and Mike, the VHSL clearly states that the the semi and final WILL be played on Sat? I can provide the reference if needed. I'm not sure JF is accomadating anyone. Just following the rules.

The VHSL calendar says Sat. at 7:00 pm. If there is no graduation conflict, or weather concerns, that is when it MUST be played. Period.

And if you look at JF on google earth, I don't have a clue how you can set up 2000 temporary bleachers. The slops absolutely prohibit anything being placed there. Perhaps along the top of the rim, but that is a stretch.

Hey, port-a-pottys from some companies are a step up from some fixed facilities. Most companies offer a trailer that kneels to accomidate access to meet ADA. Most have HVAC, and hot and cold running water. So that issue is not an issue at all. But temporary bleachers to come up with seats for at least 3500 Fannys? Just ain't going to happen. Plus, Salem will bring 5000 plus fans alone.

Reactions: salemfan32
There's a ring around the bowl where bleachers can be put. And all I know is the staff at JF was at first given the option to play Friday or Saturday, then went with Saturday for salem's parade

I've been to Jefferson Forest one time and that was about 12 years ago. they have a natural bowl setting so much of the work is already done in regards to layout for bleachers. Why don't they just splurge to come up with a permanent solution?

I sat by a Salem fan yesterday and they mentioned that a lot of JF's money was spent on the artificial turf. Could that be the reason?

If you look at the VHSL site, it clearly states the semi's are to be played on Dec 5th for the 2015 season and Dec 3rd for the 2016 season.

Not sure why the confusion for a Friday date but I think someone got their info mixed up.

http://www.vhsl.org/athletics.football

Football
Contest Limits - 10 games
Minimum Practice Requirements

Season Information 2015 2016
First Practice July 30, 2015
July 28, 2016
First Contest Aug. 24-29, 2015 Aug. 22-27, 2016
District Deadline
Nov. 7, 2015 Nov. 5, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 1st round
Nov. 14, 2015 Nov. 12, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 2nd round
Nov. 21, 2015 Nov. 19, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 3rd round Nov. 28, 2015 Nov. 26, 2016
VHSL Semifinals Dec. 5, 2015 Dec. 3, 2016
VHSL Championships Dec. 12, 2015 Dec. 10, 2016

ya can't just "splurge for a permanent solution" in a few days. JF had the money pledged for a stadium/bleacher solution last year and the county wouldn't allow it to be built because we were already doing the turf (again with 100% our own money). Plans are to fix it this off season, the county has already cleared it

Reactions: OCBoy
If you look at the VHSL site, it clearly states the semi's are to be played on Dec 5th for the 2015 season and Dec 3rd for the 2016 season.

Not sure why the confusion for a Friday date but I think someone got their info mixed up.

http://www.vhsl.org/athletics.football

Football
Contest Limits - 10 games
Minimum Practice Requirements

Season Information 2015 2016
First Practice July 30, 2015
July 28, 2016
First Contest Aug. 24-29, 2015 Aug. 22-27, 2016
District Deadline
Nov. 7, 2015 Nov. 5, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 1st round
Nov. 14, 2015 Nov. 12, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 2nd round
Nov. 21, 2015 Nov. 19, 2016
Playoff Deadline - 3rd round Nov. 28, 2015 Nov. 26, 2016
VHSL Semifinals Dec. 5, 2015 Dec. 3, 2016
VHSL Championships Dec. 12, 2015 Dec. 10, 2016
I'll never understand why people don't understand things like this. That is the date you have to play it by, but if the schools agree they can play it on Friday. I'm not going to go as far as to screen shot text messages with VHSL reps.
If both teams agree the game can be played Friday. Example: Monacan vs Lake Taylor 2014. If they don't come to some agreement then the game will be the default time of 2pm Sat unless scheduled for a different time on Sat. When we played North Stafford we played at 4 pm because of SATs. There are some games at 1 Sat and 7 Sat. The only game time that is set in stone is the state finals.

The last time J/F hosted a playoff was like 1992. Easier and cheaper to move game somewhere like L/U. Might another 23 years before they have another team like this. Hell, with concussion thing, high school football might be a thing of the past before long.

The last time J/F hosted a playoff was like 1992. Easier and cheaper to move game somewhere like L/U. Might another 23 years before they have another team like this. Hell, with concussion thing, high school football might be a thing of the past before long.
Huh???

Teams agreed to Saturday @7 because the band will be in the Salem Christmas Parade on Friday evening. Good that JF was accommodating, the band really adds to the atmosphere. JF usually has a good band also, so there will be a battle on the field and a battle of the bands in the stands.
I wish it were 2 instead of 7

The point is that Salem doesn't magically owe JF something for playing the game on Saturday. If JF wanted Saturday and Salem begged for Friday and JF agreed then yea, I'd say Salem owed JF but nobody is ducking anyone there's just something big in town on Friday so Salem turned down that option and said let's play on Saturday like teams normally do.

It's JF's responsibility to have facilities that are playoff ready, not anyone else. If the VHSL doesn't like what they see then JF should talk to them. If the VHSL says everything is A-OK then Salem will be there with bells on.

JF was a higher seed and they were initially told by VHSL that they had the choice - regardless of whatever the website says... They were offered the choice. They agreed for Saturday to accommodate the Salem band.... So courtesy would be for Salem to agree playing at JF regardless

Jf wanted the game on Friday because their band has something on Saturday afternoon..Salem band had something Friday nite..so they landed on Saturday nite so both could attend the game

JF was a higher seed and they were initially told by VHSL that they had the choice - regardless of whatever the website says... They were offered the choice. They agreed for Saturday to accommodate the Salem band.... So courtesy would be for Salem to agree playing at JF regardless
Is the stadium going to have thousands of more seats brought in?

I don't see how JF is Going to do that . There's not enough room to put bleachers in around that bowl . It's just enough room to walk around . The hill all the way around the stadium is very steep .

Last edited:
jfcav1...with all due respect, I believe your information is incorrect. Why would JF be the only team given the choice to play Friday night?

There is a reason the VHSL lists the game schedule the way they do. There is no "option" for the higher seed to choose to play the semi-final game on Friday vs Saturday. That is just the way it works.

It's a shame JF lacks the facilities to host a game they rightly should host but there is a reason the VHSL came up with the requirements they did...and the requirements seem to be incredibly reasonable.

jfcav1...with all due respect, I believe your information is incorrect. Why would JF be the only team given the choice to play Friday night?

There is a reason the VHSL lists the game schedule the way they do. There is no "option" for the higher seed to choose to play the semi-final game on Friday vs Saturday. That is just the way it works.

It's a shame JF lacks the facilities to host a game they rightly should host but there is a reason the VHSL came up with the requirements they did...and the requirements seem to be incredibly reasonable.
Especially when you expect that many fans, they need to be accommodated. I agree that JF should play at home but the bathroom situation is the worst especially for that many people

JF believes they are 3 -4 TDs better than Salem so moving the field shouldn't matter to them. Vhsl should do the right thing and move the game somewhere else in lynchburg area

And to further clarify the VHSL rules...

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-tournament-format2.pdf

It is clearly spelled out. No ambiguity at all.

State Tournament
Dates: NFHS Week 22 and 23

Games will be played on Saturday.
Format: Four team, single- elimination tournament per classification pairing each region’s
two representatives in the semifinals. The semifinal format is determined by each classification. Semifinal winners advance to the final.

And to further clarify the VHSL rules...

http://www.vhsl.org/doc/upload/fb-tournament-format2.pdf

It is clearly spelled out. No ambiguity at all.

State Tournament
Dates: NFHS Week 22 and 23

Games will be played on Saturday.
Format: Four team, single- elimination tournament per classification pairing each region’s
two representatives in the semifinals. The semifinal format is determined by each classification. Semifinal winners advance to the final.

When the rules were spelled out exactly like that last year, how did Lake Taylor and Monacan play on Friday night?

Reactions: jfcav1
For the last time jfcav1, IT'S NOT UP TO SALEM OR JF, IT'S THE VHSL'S DECISION. They will decide if the facilities are suitable! They want to maximize revenue, they will decide if the facility can hold the number of people that are expected to be at the game. Hopefully the game can be played on their home field, they earned the 1 seed and deserve to be at home. The decision will come down to the bottom $ and nothing more.

I would guess the VHSL doesn't care if both teams agree to it. How many state semi games have you seen on a Friday? I sure haven't seen really any on this side of the state but Tidewater seems to make schedules wonky(games often played on Saturday during the regular season and such).

I would guess the VHSL doesn't care if both teams agree to it. How many state semi games have you seen on a Friday? I sure haven't seen really any on this side of the state but Tidewater seems to make schedules wonky(games often played on Saturday during the regular season and such).
It's done like that for a reason. Darling Stadium, is home to 4 Hampton schools. Todd Stadium in Newport News is home to 5 schools. It's not uncommon to see Thursday,Friday, & Saturday games in the same week because so many teams use the same field. It's a really good idea, saves money and land usage.

For the last time jfcav1, IT'S NOT UP TO SALEM OR JF, IT'S THE VHSL'S DECISION. They will decide if the facilities are suitable! They want to maximize revenue, they will decide if the facility can hold the number of people that are expected to be at the game. Hopefully the game can be played on their home field, they earned the 1 seed and deserve to be at home. The decision will come down to the bottom $ and nothing more.
I heard ya. What I'm telling you is that is not what was previously discussed with any of the 3 parties involved. Maybe that's what they went back to and what they're deciding based on - but it's not how it was originally to be. End of story. Talk to somebody who actually has an in on the negotiations they'll tell you the same thing

I heard ya. What I'm telling you is that is not what was previously discussed with any of the 3 parties involved. Maybe that's what they went back to and what they're deciding based on - but it's not how it was originally to be. End of story. Talk to somebody who actually has an in on the negotiations they'll tell you the same thing
I'm sure JF is doing whatever they can to keep the game at home, as they should for the community. I'm sure the VHSL is wanting JF to be able to play the game on their nice field. Salem would like enough seating for their fans which will probably require seating for 2,500-3,000 maybe more? 800 traveled over 200 miles for the last game. JF is only 60 miles and the fans had a preview of this matchup just a little over 3 months ago. If the weather is good there will probably be 7,000-8,000 people in attendance maybe more. Amherst & Salem less than 10 years ago had crowds over 10,000. The VHSL will take everything into consideration and make the call. My guess is if they anticipate 10k, they will move it to City Stadium or LU (Not saying there will be that many, but they have to be prepared for a very large crowd)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT