ADVERTISEMENT

Salem loss rare

freeatlast2013

VaPreps Honorable Mention
Feb 23, 2013
For only third time in their history Salem lost in the first round. The others were 2010,vs Magna Vista, and 1987 vs Courtland, in Division 5. They have 69 playoff victories, 31 appearances and nine state titles.

For only third time in their history Salem lost in the first round. The others were 2010,vs Magna Vista, and 1987 vs Courtland, in Division 5. They have 69 playoff victories, 31 appearances and nine state titles.
Man I know it hurts to lose in the playoffs but just accept the loss to JF and move on. No need to remind everyone how great Salems program is all of us on here are constantly reminded of it year round.

Man I know it hurts to lose in the playoffs but just accept the loss to JF and move on. No need to remind everyone how great Salems program is all of us on here are constantly reminded of it year round.

*sees thread*
*clicks thread*
*reads thread*
*spends time writing reply*

WHY DID YOU MAKE ME READ AND REPLY TO YOUR THREAD, OP?

Hell....with Salem's history and their storied program, ANY loss for them is RARE! At least up until this year any way. Can't believe they lost 3 home games in one season....I read that somewhere the other day and thought it HAD to be a typo! When you have the highest winning percentage ever in VHSL history folks get spoiled and expectations are very high. Losing is unacceptable! Salem will reload and be back strong next year I'm sure...

Must have been the three times the refs weren’t on the Salem payroll! LOL

Reactions: OCBoy
Lost to Rustburg in 93

In my opinion, Salem's earned the right to brag a little...they are the gold standard in Class 4. Compared to the elite teams they face in the playoffs, I'd be willing to bet they're the least talented across the board...they're the epitome of "team", and they execute on the biggest stage consistently.

Last edited:
Let's see if Mags can beat Smith from Hampton. This year was his first losing record in 47 years as head coach....and he didn't even coach the first several games so an asterisk can go next to that stat.

Reactions: Marshall-Dillon
Let's see if Mags can beat Smith from Hampton. This year was his first losing record in 47 years as head coach....and he didn't even coach the first several games so an asterisk can go next to that stat.

Mags won't be there that long, of course, but Salem is about 30ish years removed from a losing season as a program so that is within reach.

Reactions: VolNation85
y'all play nice now...

In my opinion, Salem's earned the right to brag a little...they are the gold standard in Class 4. Compared to the elite teams they face in the playoffs, I'd be willing to bet they're the least talented across the board...they're the epitome of "team", and they execute on the biggest stage consistently.
Yes they are and everyone is made aware every year.

Reactions: Bfootball08
I don't think anyone will catch Smith. I do think that he should move on and let a much younger coach step in.

Anything to keep Salem relevant on this page is what’s pushed a lot of people off this site

Nobody is mad at their fans or the pride/fandom they show for their program. However it’s just posts about anything to keep them in a conversation. Be a fan be supportive but it’s a lot of bias towards Salem fans from the outside looking in and that’s where some people elected to leave. Many argumentative statements start with an opinion and it’s been proven if you don’t drink certain kool aid or ignore certain things you’ll be the victim. I was taught don’t start none it won’t be none but I guess that doesn’t apply here.

Reactions: OCBoy
So the rules are that you can’t post about your team after they lose a playoff game. That’s just silly. I don’t mind post about Amherst,JF,Navy Nation, monacan, Lake Taylor and so on. I don’t care if their season is over or not. I still like to read about other teams in the state. The ol saying goes if you don’t want to read it don’t open it. I read other boards and I know by the title that I don’t want to read it. Just press on. I’ve been reading these boards for yrs and posters consistently get mad at a Salem post. Or they come in with some sly remark.

If you are going to read the post don’t complain about it. Maybe I have missed something somewhere but has the Salem fans made any statements towards anyone’s favorite team? Ex) refs on payroll.

I for one have no problem with the post, I found the information informative, but you HAD to know that you would have pushback, as if you have been reading for years then you know that people already think most everything on the 4a board revolves around Salem. The thing that isnt admitted is main reason for that is more posters from there

Keeping Salem relevant is what it’s called. Salem lost and if your a Salem fan or poster let’s post about other things than Salem since they are no longer in the picture. Yes they’ve earned a lot of respect but posting stuff like this is like a little kid wanting attention

Keeping Salem relevant is what it’s called. Salem lost and if your a Salem fan or poster let’s post about other things than Salem since they are no longer in the picture. Yes they’ve earned a lot of respect but posting stuff like this is like a little kid wanting attention

So the rules are that you can’t post about your team after they lose a playoff game. That’s just silly. I don’t mind post about Amherst,JF,Navy Nation, monacan, Lake Taylor and so on. I don’t care if their season is over or not. I still like to read about other teams in the state. The ol saying goes if you don’t want to read it don’t open it. I read other boards and I know by the title that I don’t want to read it. Just press on. I’ve been reading these boards for yrs and posters consistently get mad at a Salem post. Or they come in with some sly remark.

If you are going to read the post don’t complain about it. Maybe I have missed something somewhere but has the Salem fans made any statements towards anyone’s favorite team? Ex) refs on payroll.

Literally laughing at how dumb this thread is, how old are we? It was a good post that shedded some light on history.
I agree. Salem lost to a good JF team but Salem fans have to shut up now. You can’t post about how many times you have been bounced in the first round. Wait!! You can’t even talk about your team losing? That hate is unreal. I’m a high school football fan. When my team loses I pull for other teams. I have pulled for rivals to win state. Why? Because in the end of the day it’s about the kids. If a JF fan wants to brag about their back to back titles back in the day so be it. Let’s do it with class. I’m good friends with Bradley but I don’t attack posters because they don’t like him. If this is the way the board wants to run then no one can post about their team after December 8 th except the champion.

Does the Wells Fargo Cup holder get to talk year round ?
Sure why not. That’s for overall excellence in all sports. I know Blacksburg has a bunch of those now. How many exactly. I don’t know. I watched the soccer team win the state title in a dominating performance at Roanoke College last yr. should be the favorite to win it again this yr.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT