ADVERTISEMENT

Salem Trio commits to ULM

Hopefully that will be a good fit for them and they can flourish. Maybe it will work out for them like it did for Alex Light at UR. At the end of the day it is about the best fit for development and that is not always necessarily the biggest name opportunity.

Awesome for those young men. Virginia Tech missing out on 3 elite players in their own backyard.
I have been trying to get them more attention from VT and I think there is pretty good interest but you can't wait forever. I could still see them get bigger offers if they are willing to listen but glad to see all three of them commit.

I have been trying to get them more attention from VT and I think there is pretty good interest but you can't wait forever. I could still see them get bigger offers if they are willing to listen but glad to see all three of them commit.
They did what’s best for them and made a very good decision. It’s remarkable that 3 childhood friends can sign to play football together at the same school.

Fun fact: In the past 15 years ULM beat Alabama in Tuscaloosa (2007) and beat up on a top 10 Arkansas team in 2012.

All plan to play in spring if possible.
My own opinion is that seniors already committed are risking far more than they have to gain playing a spring season. Many may have that thinking at present considering the loss of their senior campaign in the fall but, I would not be surprised at all if most opt out given time to really think about the pros and cons of that decision.

My own opinion is that seniors already committed are risking far more than they have to gain playing a spring season. Many may have that thinking at present considering the loss of their senior campaign in the fall but, I would not be surprised at all if most opt out given time to really think about the pros and cons of that decision.
I agree.

Reactions: footballislife23

A large majority of kids commit before their senior season begins, that logic just doesn't hold weight, 99.99% of these kids aren't making business decisions at 17/18. ULM has also already given the three their blessing to play if they so choose.

Salem is a team effort program from sandlot to senior year, I doubt very much they'll choose to sit while their friends play it out.

A large majority of kids commit before their senior season begins, that logic just doesn't hold weight, 99.99% of these kids aren't making business decisions at 17/18. ULM has also already given the three their blessing to play if they so choose.

Salem is a team effort program from sandlot to senior year, I doubt very much they'll choose to sit while their friends play it out.
You missed the point. It is an entirely different decision to play in the spring and turn right around and go in to summer workouts and a possible fall season(allowing for the likelihood of a possible redshirt). The post did not say they would not just that "most" kids given the opportunity to reconsider might think differently. While ULM is not like some programs your contention does not even consider the option that they could choose to graduate early and get a jump on their college career, particularly if they have a shot to play early.

As usua

You missed the point. It is an entirely different decision to play in the spring and turn right around and go in to summer workouts and a possible fall season(allowing for the likelihood of a possible redshirt). The post did not say they would not just that "most" kids given the opportunity to reconsider might think differently. While ULM is not like some programs your contention does not even consider the option that they could choose to graduate early and get a jump on their college career, particularly if they have a shot to play early.

Your post completely ignores the many multi-sport football players who play something during the spring anyway so that point is already out the door and don't bother bringing it back. Tons of kids go from a spring sport to summer workouts every year across the nation and those are full seasons, not the shortened version we're going to see in 2021.

Your post completely ignores the many multi-sport football players who play something during the spring anyway so that point is already out the door and don't bother bringing it back. Tons of kids go from a spring sport to summer workouts every year across the nation and those are full seasons, not the shortened version we're going to see in 2021.
Again, other sports are not football and not really relevant but, nice try. You ever actually play the sport at any real level? Did you actually get in the game? The wear and tear of a full, or even truncated season as the spring is likely to be, is far different than playing another spring sport, even lacrosse, and going in to offseason workouts and a fall season, at a different level no less, against growing men. They may play at Salem. That has never been the issue. The issue is whether it is a wise decision and that is even before we discuss a possible short season with no real prize at the end.

Reactions: footballislife23
Again, other sports are not football and not really relevant but, nice try. You ever actually play the sport at any real level? Did you actually get in the game? The wear and tear of a full, or even truncated season as the spring is likely to be, is far different than playing another spring sport, even lacrosse, and going in to offseason workouts and a fall season, at a different level no less, against growing men. They may play at Salem. That has never been the issue. The issue is whether it is a wise decision and that is even before we discuss a possible short season with no real prize at the end.
Players that graduate early will go play spring football for a couple of months during the same period of time before going into summer workouts and then into the season. I don't think a six game high school season where they likely be sitting out a majority of the second halves of games is going to be particularly hard on the body. I would actually argue that spring college football is more taxing than this will be.

Players that graduate early will go play spring football for a couple of months during the same period of time before going into summer workouts and then into the season. I don't think a six game high school season where they likely be sitting out a majority of the second halves of games is going to be particularly hard on the body. I would actually argue that spring college football is more taxing than this will be.

But those whole two weeks of pre-season practice and the 20ish quarters they may play, how will their bodies sustain the wear and tear?

That is a reasonable point with one very big difference. Going through a spring practice could lead to fall playing time, whereas, a spring high school season, whether short or full, with no championship does not yield relative rewards for the relative risk. I can buy your argument on the physical side in that case though.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT