ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Dinwiddie Key Matchups Part 1

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
I have opted not to do a preview on this game; however, I would like to share my opinion of some key matchups 4 parts) starting with special teams.

Kickers:
Salem: Nate Craft -Sr.
This kid has a powerful and accurate leg. Last year he hit 65-67 PAT's, 8-10 on field goals (long of 49) and had a touchback percentage of 50%. Craft struggled a bit last week, but the weather, a few bad snaps and holder exchanges had a lot to do with his uncharacteristic performance. Thus far he is 10-12 on PAT's, 1-3 on field goals and had 9 kickoffs for touchbacks. This young man has kicked in pressure packed games before and kicked the winning field goal in overtime in the 2015 state championship.

Dinwiddie:
Todd Anspach -Sr.
With a ton of off season hard work this young man has really started to turn heads. Last year year he was 72-78 on PAT's, 2-3 on fgs (long of 39) and had a touchback average of 25%. This season Anspach is 15-15 on PAT's, 1-1 field goals (35 yarder) and has 8 touchbacks.

Fans I know we don't generally pump up kickers, but these guys are easily two of the top five kickers in the state. Both of these guys will attempt to put the ball in the end zone on kickoffs and I will be shocked if it doesnt happen.

Craft and Anspach also handle punts and do it well. At least when they get a chance. Friday, just might be the time when field position matters, so the kicking game could be essential to either teams success.

Returners:

Josiah Williams vs. Luke Owen

Both of these young men are down right nasty as returners. Unfortunately, as previously stated I dont forsee either kicker allowing them to touch the ball.

Owens is gritty and elusive. He likes to take risk and the Dinwiddie punt team better be ready if the ball is on the ground. This kid will scoop it up like a thief in the night and take it to the house.

Williams is a sophmore with break away speed. He reads lanes well and if he finds a seam its over. He has returned two kickoffs for td's, one in each game.

Intangibles:

Salem is very sound and disciplined in coverage. Owens returning ability is scary, but so is the Generals coverage teams. They have limited teams to less than a 10 yard average on punt and kickoff returns.

Salem appears to be struggling with long snaps and exchanges. If this occurs Friday night Dinwiddie will pounce and have a great chance to block a few punts/kicks.

Craft has the experience of kicking in pressure packed games. The return games are equally dangerous, and Dinwiddies punt/kick blocking team has the edge. Think we will call this one even.

Part 2 Running backs vs. Front 7 Wednesday.

Part 3 quarterbacks, receivers, and db's Thursday.

Last edited:
Not buying on Williamsburg yet. Both teams have a ton of work to do and Dinwiddie has a very tough regular season road ahead. Thomas Dale may be one of the best teams class 6 teams in the state.

Besides the Class 4 Region B and D playoffs are going to be a war and after that you have to get through the top team from A and C. I think I will take the high road and take it one game at a time.

Knuclebumps, I cannot disagree with you on a possible victor as Salem will be hard to beat at home, but I will be shocked if the teams combine for 59 points.

Last edited:
Its amazing that a game between two dominant teams could mean so little. This is just a game of bragging rights temporarily. So much season to be played after this. At the end of the day the real question is who is going to knock off Salem and who is going to knock off Dinwiddie to prevent this repeat in December or is this just a trial run of the eventual state championship game? I am an east coast guy.... Lets go Dinwiddie unless they play Monacan! Dinwiddie by 10 points... I hope for an injury free hard fought game on both sides. Good luck to both teams!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT