ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Dinwiddie Part 2 - Demolition Derby

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
Part 2 of this three part series will address the perspective running games against the oppossing teams front 7. If you here loud cracking noises on Friday night its not going to the Salem bell, Dinwiddie cannon or even lightening. Its going to be nasty collisions as the two teams are intent on establishing their will via the ground.

Both teams possess at least three running backs who are proven commodities and a necessity to their teams success.

Salem:

The Spartans have accrued 393 yards and 6 td's on the ground in two games.

Owen - 17 carries for 208 yards and 3 tds.
Ramsey - 9 carries for 96 yards and 1 td.
Hale - 14 carries for 47 yards and two tds.

Traps, counters, and power sweeps are Salems bread and butter. Hale and Ramsey are bruising backs who get the tough yards. Although Ramsey is sound between the tackles he can make tacklers whiff. Owen is a tough, gritty, and elusive runner who has break away speed. Salem will utilize all three of these guys to attempt to wear down the Dinwiddie defense. WR Tucker has potential to break one on a reverse.

Dinwiddie:

Dinwiddie has for 511 yards and 12 tds. in two games.

Sturdivant - 39 carries for 238 yards and 6 tds.
Tyree - 7 carries for 85 yards and 2 tds.
Dalton - 10 carries for 87 yards and 1 td.

The Generals utilize a spread offense with 1 or 2 rb sets. They use counters and jet sweeps to keep teams honest. Sturdivant is the go to back. He rarely loses yards, is tough to tackle and cuts on a dime. Tyree gets the tough yardage and has very good speed. Dalton a newcomer has a good mix of speed and power. QB Pope is also a very capable runner in the read option.

Offensive Lines:

Salem has long been known as the Mules and have earned a reputation for being technically sound. Dinwiddie who is seen as a passing team (dont know why) is still garnering respect and is affectionately known to fans as "DHOP" (Dinwiddie House of Pancakes).

Salem:

Mundy who is back from a injury riddled 2016 season is the anchor of the "Mules". With the exception of Overstreet who is a bit undersized, the Spartan line possesses good size. They all have sound footwork and protect the passer well.

Dinwiddie:

The Generals lost three starters, but have pulled together and performed well in the first two games. Dinwiddie is led by senior tackle, S. Gholson and Dinwiddie fans are hoping our 290 pound tackle J. Edwards returns after missing the first two games with an injury. The line has above average size and get to the next level well. Pass protection has been a bit of a concern, but should improve if the top guys are healthy.

Defensive Line:

Salem uses a platoon system on their densive line and there is not much drop off from one to another. I consider this unit to be very strong and the key to stopping Dinwiddie's running game. The Generals as usual are small and quick along the defensive line. They utilize a four man front with gap penetration.

Salem: Richardson and Close are talented defensive ends who play the run well and can be effective pass rushers. The inside of the Spartans defensive line clogs things up and utilize their hands very well.

Dinwiddie: After losing two phenominal defensive ends the defensive line has been retooled. Omar Tyson has moved from tackle to defensive end and is very aggressive. Cody Mills is small for an interior lineman, but has a high football IQ and does a good job of maintaining leverage.

Linebackers:

These two units could very well decide this ball game. The Spartan unit is young; however, they hit hard and are well disciplined. Dinwiddie linebackers are very aggressive, defend the pass well and can blitz as well as any unit to play for the Generals.

Salem: Salem had to rebuild this entire group and as they lost one of the best high school tacklers I have ever seen in Fox. Pinello is projected to be the next stud in a long line of historically talented linebackers at Salem. His backer mates include: Farrell, Kirtner and Dennis.

The Dinwiddie linbacking corp is very experienced and is led by All State and Ohio State commit K'Vaughan Pope. This young man can do it all and do it well. The key to this unit is the return of Joseph Tyree. This young man hits like a ton of bricks and his injury last season hurt the Dinwiddie run defense tremendously. Mullins and Bracey share time at olb and protect the edge well.

Intangibles:

Offensive lines: size, technique and experience favors Salem.

Defensive lines: Both teams are techniqually sound and have playmakers. Dinwiddie lost three good d-lineman. Slight edge to Salem

Running backs: Even Nostradamus could sort this one out. Tons of experience, speed and power in both groups. Even

Linebackers: Dinwiddie's experience, tenacity and ability to blitz from all angles gives them the edge.

I have no clue which front seven will win this battle, but the thought of the two "Titans" Ramsey and Pope meeting in the hole at full speed is exhilarating. The image of the old ram tough commercial comes to mind where you see the charge and boom they hit horn to horn and neither give an inch.

If Salems field was sod I would say you were going to witness 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but its not so I will call it shake, rattle and roll.

Last edited:
Thanks Knucklebumps. Lots of research, phone calls to Salem trustees and film watching to get it done. Why does Salem hide its statistics? Seems they would want their players to get a leg up with college coaches. Especially, with the young bucks. I know for sure the media guys that cover college teams and recruits use statistics.

To each its own. Not attempting to criticize the Salem program was just curious.

I'm the play by play guy for Salem football on wrtz radio. If you have time stop by the pressbox before the game. Love to shake hands and talk smack before kickoff

I'm the play by play guy for Salem football on wrtz radio. If you have time stop by the pressbox before the game. Love to shake hands and talk smack before kickoff
Sure. I still need to send you guys the media info on the Generals. Will email it tomorrow.

Thanks Knucklebumps. Lots of research, phone calls to Salem trustees and film watching to get it done. Why does Salem hide its statistics? Seems they would want their players to get a leg up with college coaches. Especially, with the young bucks. I know for sure the media guys that cover college teams and recruits use statistics.

To each its own. Not attempting to criticize the Salem program was just curious.
A lot of people would like an answer to this question Navy. Quite baffling.

Part 2 of this three part series will address the perspective running games against the oppossing teams front 7. If you here loud cracking noises on Friday night its not going to the Salem bell, Dinwiddie cannon or even lightening. Its going to be nasty collisions as the two teams are intent on establishing their will via the ground.

Both teams possess at least three running backs who are proven commodities and a necessity to their teams success.

Salem:

The Spartans have accrued 393 yards and 6 td's on the ground in two games.

Owen - 17 carries for 208 yards and 3 tds.
Ramsey - 9 carries for 96 yards and 1 td.
Hale - 14 carries for 47 yards and two tds.

Traps, counters, and power sweeps are Salems bread and butter. Hale and Ramsey are bruising backs who get the tough yards. Although Ramsey is sound between the tackles he can make tacklers whiff. Owen is a tough, gritty, and elusive runner who has break away speed. Salem will utilize all three of these guys to attempt to wear down the Dinwiddie defense. WR Tucker has potential to break one on a reverse.

Dinwiddie:

Dinwiddie has for 511 yards and 12 tds. in two games.

Sturdivant - 39 carries for 238 yards and 6 tds.
Tyree - 7 carries for 85 yards and 2 tds.
Dalton - 10 carries for 87 yards and 1 td.

The Generals utilize a spread offense with 1 or 2 rb sets. They use counters and jet sweeps to keep teams honest. Sturdivant is the go to back. He rarely loses yards, is tough to tackle and cuts on a dime. Tyree gets the tough yardage and has very good speed. Dalton a newcomer has a good mix of speed and power. QB Pope is also a very capable runner in the read option.

Offensive Lines:

Salem has long been known as the Mules and have earned a reputation for being technically sound. Dinwiddie who is seen as a passing team (dont know why) is still garnering respect and is affectionately known to fans as "DHOP" (Dinwiddie House of Pancakes).

Salem:

Lundy who is back from a injury riddled 2016 season is the anchor of the "Mules". With the exception of Overstreet who is a bit undersized, the Spartan line possesses good size. They all have sound footwork and protect the passer well.

Dinwiddie:

The Generals lost three starters, but have pulled together and performed well in the first two games. Dinwiddie is led by senior tackle, S. Gholson and Dinwiddie fans are hoping our 290 pound tackle J. Edwards returns after missing the first two games with an injury. The line has above average size and get to the next level well. Pass protection has been a bit of a concern, but should improve if the top guys are healthy.

Defensive Line:

Salem uses a platoon system on their densive line and there is not much drop off from one to another. I consider this unit to be very strong and the key to stopping Dinwiddie's running game. The Generals as usual are small and quick along the defensive line. They utilize a four man front with gap penetration.

Salem: Richardson and Close are talented defensive ends who play the run well and can be effective pass rushers. The inside of the Spartans defensive line clogs things up and utilize their hands very well.

Dinwiddie: After losing two phenominal defensive ends the defensive line has been retooled. Omar Tyson has moved from tackle to defensive end and is very aggressive. Cody Mills is small for an interior lineman, but has a high football IQ and does a good job of maintaining leverage.

Linebackers:

These two units could very well decide this ball game. The Spartan unit is young; however, they hit hard and are well disciplined. Dinwiddie linebackers are very aggressive, defend the pass well and can blitz as well as any unit to play for the Generals.

Salem: Salem had to rebuild this entire group and as they lost one of the best high school tacklers I have ever seen in Fox. Pinello is projected to be the next stud in a long line of historically talented linebackers at Salem. His backer mates include: Farrell, Kirtner and Dennis.

The Dinwiddie linbacking corp is very experienced and is led by All State and Ohio State commit K'Vaughan Pope. This young man can do it all and do it well. The key to this unit is the return of Joseph Tyree. This young man hits like a ton of bricks and his injury last season hurt the Dinwiddie run defense tremendously. Mullins and Bracey share time at olb and protect the edge well.

Intangibles:

Offensive lines: size, technique and experience favors Salem.

Defensive lines: Both teams are techniqually sound and have playmakers. Dinwiddie lost three good d-lineman. Slight edge to Salem

Running backs: Even Nostradamus could sort this one out. Tons of experience, speed and power in both groups. Even

Linebackers: Dinwiddie's experience, tenacity and ability to blitz from all angles gives them the edge.

I have no clue which front seven will win this battle, but the thought of the two "Titans" Ramsey and Pope meeting in the hole at full speed is exhilarating. The image of the old ram tough commercial comes to mind where you see the charge and boom they hit horn to horn and neither give an inch.

If Salems field was sod I would say you were going to witness 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but its not so I will call it shake, rattle and roll.
I hope I have as much time on my hands when I get over 75 as you do Navy, very nice write up.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
I will shortly. Just finished building a 12x10 platform to put a new shed on for a 86 year old man. It felt good to give back to a man who served in Korea and Vietnam.

He told me stories that made me, so proud to be an American. He grew up in Bland, Va and his last station was Fort Lee. His name is Floyd Patterson. He always say howdy im Floyd Patterson, but not the famous one.

I asked if he missed the mountains as much as I do and he replied. If I get the itch I take nip. Thats all mountain I need or want.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT