ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs. Dinwiddie Wrap Up

BleedingNavy

VaPreps All District
Dec 4, 2013
With the exception of K'Vaughan Pope not playing and believing Salem would win, this game played out about the way I expected.

One of the reasons I was hesitant was K'ymon Popes (19 carries 194 yards, 2 tds. and was 13-23 passing with 1 td and 1 int.) first two game struggles in the passing game. Although he still has some work to do on his mechanics I was pleasantly suprised by # 10's performance. In fact, I think he matured tremendously in his third start of his career.

Zyan Sturdivant (18 carries 109 yards) was his steady self and the defensive line held their own. Our youthful defensive backs made a few errors as expected, but overall they showed a marked improvement from week 2.

Salem's running game was very sound and Ramsey (12 carries 176 yards and 1 td) is a load. Owens (15 carries 84 yards and 2 catches for 48 yards and 1td) can do it all and reminds me of McCaffery from the Panthers. Nate Craft forced Dinwiddie to march 80 yards after each score and he is true weapon for the Spartans. I also thought Pinello and the Salem O line played very well.

Keys to the Generals victory:

Dinwiddie turned the table on the Spartans and outrushed them. The Dinwiddie o line held their own and was able to get blocks on Salems linebackers.

Turnovers and fumbles killed or stalled Salem drives. Dinwiddie thrives on short fields and got a few. This shocked me as the Spartans generally protect the ball well. A bit if credit goes to the Dinwiddie defense as they have created 14 turnovers for a plus 11 on the season.

Todd Anspach and Nate Craft both had good games. Craft won the kickoff battle, but Anspach held is own by recording two crucial field goals. Both kickers were perfect on PAT's and punted well. Anspach did get a fg blocked, but this one goes to the coaches as we only had 10 men on the field.

The Dinwiddie front seven stepped up without their leader and performed well. Their blitzes were timely and pressured Gladden (12-23 passing for 153 yards and 1 td.) into some poor throws. The Salem qb looked good at times, but his lack of mobility, a few poor snap exchanges and errant throws hindered a few drives.

With the exception of one blown coverage Generals secondary held the Salem receivers in check. Tucker got a few touches, but did not beat the Generals deep like he did in December.

Lastly, the Generals went to an empty backfield and spread the Spartans out. This forced Salem to change their base coverage and left the entire middle third with no support. Dinwiddie took advantage by successfully utilizing quarterback draws and post/slant routes.

Great game, crowd, atmosphere, and fellowship. Isnt that what high school football is about. Until next time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT