ADVERTISEMENT

Salem vs John Champe

I am looking forward to this match-up. I still know very little about John Champe's team. I know they have a very good, quick qb. They sound like they're balanced on offense. Judging by their game scores, they seem to have a very good, perhaps excellent defense.

It doesn't take much of a crystal ball to see that this is going to be another close, hard-fought contest between teams that are essentially evenly-matched. As is the case in these type games, one or two plays, or one critical mistake will be crucial in deciding the outcome. Nothing new there.

Absolutely no disrespect to any of Salem's opponents thus far, but it seems clear that John Champe is way better than any team Salem has faced this season. So, the big question I have is, how will the Spartans handle what will likely be a quantum leap in the level of competition? This is the same situation as last year's regional quarterfinal against Woodgrove, who was bigger, more talented, and more physical than anyone Salem had faced up to that point. Woodgrove smacked Salem around for the first two quarters, leading 20-7 at half. After that rude awakening, Salem regrouped and roared back to take a 38-28 win.

Last year's Salem team was senior-dominated. So I'm eager to see how this sophomore-heavy group of Spartans will respond to a similar challenge. I'm looking forward to making the road trip, enjoying the hospitality of the good people of Aldie, and adding another venue to my list of "stadiums visited." Here's to good weather and an injury-free game!

John Champe will be the best team Salem has played this season but they are no quantum leap. These are two very similar teams with offensive balance, good defense and well Coached. Gonna' be a really good one.

Reactions: mike salem
John Champe will be the best team Salem has played this season but they are no quantum leap. These are two very similar teams with offensive balance, good defense and well Coached. Gonna' be a really good one.

For Salem fans trying to get some context concerning John Champe I ask this question---Is John Champe better, about the same, or not quite as good as Woodgrove last year. Salem struggled in the first half against Woodgrove (trailing 21-7 at half) but outscored them 31-7 in the second half. I think this comparison might help Salem fans in taking a look at this game.

Reactions: wikki
For Salem fans trying to get some context concerning John Champe I ask this question---Is John Champe better, about the same, or not quite as good as Woodgrove last year. Salem struggled in the first half against Woodgrove (trailing 21-7 at half) but outscored them 31-7 in the second half. I think this comparison might help Salem fans in taking a look at this game.

Woodgrove beat Champe 32-14 last year.
Champe beat Woodgrove 20-17 in overtime this year in the first game of the season.

2015 Woodgrove is probably slightly better than 2014 Woodgrove, therefore, the most logically conclusion is that Champe is slightly better than last year's Woodgrove team.

I would imagine they are Salem are pretty close to a coin-flip game, maybe a slight edge to Salem

What you saw last year was a good Woodgrove game plan and a Salem team that hadn't played anyone that good. Spartans got a little shell shocked. What you saw in the second half was great halftime changes by Salem Coaches, a Knute Rockne speech and some small pieces of success that snowballed in front of a home crowd.

A tougher road this year but Salem will represent well. GL to both.

Reactions: momomule
No Knute Rockne speech---that is not how it is done with Coach Mags----I asked about that and no one raised their voice---no panic----no loud voices----just a few minor adjustments ---business as usual. I think people would be shocked about how little Salem coaches yell and scream. The Willis White way has always been eliminate the highs and lows---keep things the same-----keep things simple-----concentrate on the execution of fundamentals and eliminate mistakes and distractions.

Crazy that some of my frat brothers who graduated in 2014 from Tuscurora and Woodgrove laughed at me when I told them that Champe was undefeated in football. Should be a great game. I'd definitely look at this as an upset if Champe were to win.

No Knute Rockne speech---that is not how it is done with Coach Mags----I asked about that and no one raised their voice---no panic----no loud voices----just a few minor adjustments ---business as usual. I think people would be shocked about how little Salem coaches yell and scream. The Willis White way has always been eliminate the highs and lows---keep things the same-----keep things simple-----concentrate on the execution of fundamentals and eliminate mistakes and distractions.
Nice to hear that. John Wooten and Tony Dungy were also Coaches that never had to raise their voices. Rare in a HS Football Coach. Glad I number myself among the non yellers.

My understanding is that the boys know when the coach isn't happy and when they have disappointed.However, even then, he maintains a positive approach and encourages the kids. Love that coach and his influence.

If Woodgrove is better than last year they will have an excellent chance to beat JF

Woodgrove is much better than last year.

IF we get past Jefferson Forest we will beat Champe @ Champe or we will hopefully get that Salem Monkey /Mule off our back this year.

Champe will not beat Woodgrove again, take it to the bank.

Crazy that some of my frat brothers who graduated in 2014 from Tuscurora and Woodgrove laughed at me when I told them that Champe was undefeated in football. Should be a great game. I'd definitely look at this as an upset if Champe were to win.
2014 graduates that are your frat brothers? Was Champe over GW an upset?

2014 graduates that are your frat brothers? Was Champe over GW an upset?
Yessir, Im a 21 year old senior and they're sophomores lol.. Said they grew up playing the guys that play for Champe now. But very disappointing end for GW's senior class but I wouldn't call it an upset. Heard from a couple sore loser GW fans that Champe wasn't that good, but they obviously have a good team and have to be happy where their program is headed.

I like that about a coach, yelling and screaming usually doesn't work

i think Salem is about the same as last year. Maybe a little better on defense and just a very very small fall off on offense (even though they scored more points this year). So in that case Champe and Woodgrove will have to be significantly improved.

Nice to hear that. John Wooten and Tony Dungy were also Coaches that never had to raise their voices. Rare in a HS Football Coach. Glad I number myself among the non yellers.
Probably more respected as a coach also

i think Salem is about the same as last year. Maybe a little better on defense and just a very very small fall off on offense (even though they scored more points this year). So in that case Champe and Woodgrove will have to be significantly improved.

D is notably better imo. Far more disciplined, secondary isn't remotely the liability it was last year and better tackling. They're not as big up front as last year but very athletic. Last year's D would wobble between the 20s then tighten up(you have a better chance of keeping a team off the board if you're already up by 20 early and they have to go for it on 4th), this year's D just doesn't let teams move a lot period.

Woodgrove is much better than last year.

IF we get past Jefferson Forest we will beat Champe @ Champe or we will hopefully get that Salem Monkey /Mule off our back this year.

Champe will not beat Woodgrove again, take it to the bank.
I'm hoping we get by Champe this week and you guys get by JF for 2 reasons: 1) obviously so I can watch one more home game this year, 2) so I can hopefully meet you Tom. You seem like a real good guy and I enjoy your posts and the passion for your team.

Reactions: DinwiddieProud
Hey Mike Salem,
I think we will get that opportunity to meet.

I' m looking forward to meeting you as well.

I did not make trip to Salem last year but I made the trip the first year we went down.

GL to all the Final 4A West teams this week!

Agree 100%... Quantum leap? For a respected program like Salem? Champe has had a tremendous season so far, but to classify them in that way is a bit off the mark. I'm giving the edge to Salem from the playoff experiences and the tradition that has been around for decades. Can Champe win? It's high school football my friends, there's always a chance! GL to both teams and here's hoping its settled between the lines in a classic!

Agree 100%... Quantum leap? For a respected program like Salem? Champe has had a tremendous season so far, but to classify them in that way is a bit off the mark. I'm giving the edge to Salem from the playoff experiences and the tradition that has been around for decades. Can Champe win? It's high school football my friends, there's always a chance! GL to both teams and here's hoping its settled between the lines in a classic!

As I said, "quantum leap" from the level of competition Salem has seen thus far this season. If you've seen all of Salem's games this year, you'll understand what I mean. Over half the teams on the schedule were bad. The best were probably in the above-average to good range. None were solid in all phases of the game. Yes, the defense seems better, but no one Salem's played has been balanced enough to really test it. Yes, Beckley has had a good year at qb, but none of Salem's opponents have been able to put some serious pressure on him. Among other concerns. And I would never invoke Salem's tradition as a factor, because that would inevitably lead to responses of "arrogance", "living on past glories", "all those wins mean nothing this year", etc.

To help people out, what if I rephrase to say, I'm expecting John Champe to be a really significant amount better than any team Salem has played so far in 2015? Forget the "quantum leap". That was just a great TV show that didn't get the resolution it deserved. Perhaps I am underestimating the teams Salem has played up until now. We'll know after Saturday, I suppose.

As I said, "quantum leap" from the level of competition Salem has seen thus far this season. If you've seen all of Salem's games this year, you'll understand what I mean. Over half the teams on the schedule were bad. The best were probably in the above-average to good range. None were solid in all phases of the game. Yes, the defense seems better, but no one Salem's played has been balanced enough to really test it. Yes, Beckley has had a good year at qb, but none of Salem's opponents have been able to put some serious pressure on him. Among other concerns. And I would never invoke Salem's tradition as a factor, because that would inevitably lead to responses of "arrogance", "living on past glories", "all those wins mean nothing this year", etc.

To help people out, what if I rephrase to say, I'm expecting John Champe to be a really significant amount better than any team Salem has played so far in 2015? Forget the "quantum leap". That was just a great TV show that didn't get the resolution it deserved. Perhaps I am underestimating the teams Salem has played up until now. We'll know after Saturday, I suppose.
I totally get what you are saying... I didn't view it any other way, no foul here! And, you may be correct with your assumption of the quality of the teams Salem played. However, they beat who they played and did it in convincing fashion. I would venture a guess (maybe a wager or two) that Salem would have had the same success given Champe's schedule. Now, that is certainly not a knock on them, it's nothing more than 2 good teams getting the job done and it will all be decided in a few days!

I totally get what you are saying... I didn't view it any other way, no foul here! And, you may be correct with your assumption of the quality of the teams Salem played. However, they beat who they played and did it in convincing fashion. I would venture a guess (maybe a wager or two) that Salem would have had the same success given Champe's schedule. Now, that is certainly not a knock on them, it's nothing more than 2 good teams getting the job done and it will all be decided in a few days!

Then we agree to.....agree! I like when that happens.

I suppose the way Woodgrove came to town and caught the Spartans so off-guard last year really resonated with me. I remember reading some quotes from the players, to the effect of how surprised they were that Woodgrove was so much stronger and more physical than many of the Spartans expected, or were initially prepared for.

I suppose the way Woodgrove came to town and caught the Spartans so off-guard last year really resonated with me. I remember reading some quotes from the players, to the effect of how surprised they were that Woodgrove was so much stronger and more physical than many of the Spartans expected, or were initially prepared for.

Interesting that the Salem players noticed the difference last year in Round 2 of this series.

Keep in mind that our lads, along with every other team, have had another year in the weight room to prepare for this year's playoff run.

Let's Roll Wolverines!!!!

Interesting that the Salem players noticed the difference last year in Round 2 of this series.

Keep in mind that our lads, along with every other team, have had another year in the weight room to prepare for this year's playoff run.

I know Salem hits it hard year round in the weight room. The first matchup with Woodgrove, Salem won easily by 17 & Woodgrove scored a late TD or 2 to make it seem closer. Josh Sweet was their big gun at RB & Salem was able to hold him for well under his average of 200 ypg. I believe he left the game in the 3Q with an injury, but he had little success early.

Last year was a different story. Woodgrove came out with a nice mixture of runs and passes and had Salem in the hole 20-7 at half. Salem made adjustments and fixed some things with the blocking and play selection taking the win 38-28.

Significant improvement from one year to the next. If Salem didn't pull its starters in the first game the score would have likely been 42-10, 2nd game only a 10 point margin.

Just looking at scores it seems as if Woodgrove has improved significantly since their opening loss.If Salem gets the win this week and Woodgrove does likewise we'll get to see Part 3. But first things first.

Champe looks to have a pretty good defense giving up only 9 ppg. Looks like Salem will have to score more than 3 TD's to have a good chance for the win. In their 4 close games Champe scored 20, 21, 21, & 16.

Last edited:

As a Salem fan, I'll just concern myself with one Loudoun County school at a time. First things first. If Salem should prevail this week, it will not shock me to find the Wolverines waiting.

So Tom - since your game is Friday, will you be in attendance at the Salem-JC game?

As a Salem fan, I'll just concern myself with one Loudoun County school at a time. First things first. If Salem should prevail this week, it will not shock me to find the Wolverines waiting.

So Tom - since your game is Friday, will you be in attendance at the Salem-JC game?

I will be there if Momma lets me go!!!

Reactions: momomule
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT